Hey !

I have an Android phone that I quite like, but my needs have changed a lot recently. Since I only use my phone for calls, texts, emails, calendar, notes, music and a bit of web browsing, I was thinking about buying a BB Classic or Passport.

But after a bit of research, I saw a lot of mentions of the 9900.

So here I am, trying to understand what makes this phone so great, and why so many people seem to still use it. Because the Classic looks to be better in every aspects, according to the specs. But there is this magic aura around the 9900 that makes me hesitate and I can't seem to be able to choose.

So if you guys could help me, if you have anecdotes, stories, insights or simple facts to share, I would be very grateful.

Thank you !
    08-20-16 03:59 AM
    The 9900 is liked by many people due to various reasons.
    Some prefer the size and how handy it is
    Many prefer the size of the trackpad over the classic.
    Many even find the OS more use friendly
    Truth be told there is still a lot of basic things that the 9900 does better and faster than the classic or Passport.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    08-20-16 04:22 AM
    I love using the 9900, and it's hard to imagine a more elegant or efficient form factor.

I use both a Passport SE and a Bold. When I'm using the Bold, here are the things I miss:

1. Multi-process OS. Example: Say i want to download a movie clip or an app, and I forget to turn on wifi. To turn it on, i have to back all the way out of whatever I'm doing and start over after the wifi is up.

2. The capacitive pkb, with swipe-erase.

3. Predictive suggestions and flicking the suggestions onto the message.

4. The browser. The Passport native Browser blows away anything on the 9900. I pretty much assume I won't be able to browse when I'm using the Bold.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-20-16 10:27 AM

4. The browser. The Passport native Browser blows away anything on the 9900. I pretty much assume I won't be able to browse when I'm using the Bold.

On H+ speeds the browser is just as fast as my iphone 5C, I would say the 5C is slower for many things.

Depends more on Data/wifi speeds imo.

08-20-16 11:44 AM
    I had a long response typed here and I'm not sure what happened to it. But for sure check the Resurgance thread to get some ideas.

08-20-16 04:42 PM
    On H+ speeds the browser is just as fast as my iphone 5C, I would say the 5C is slower for many things.
    Speed, I agree -- the Bold browser simply won't load a lot of stuff. The Opera browser can be better for some sites

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    08-20-16 05:58 PM
    Speed, I agree -- the Bold browser simply won't load a lot of stuff. The Opera browser can be better for some sites

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Right, thats a better description of it

08-20-16 06:35 PM
    I use both pp and 9900. 9900 is my work phone. I use it mainly for all the calls. I transfer all the incoming calls to 9900 and make all the outgoing calls from 9900. The track pad and the number key board are really faster and more efficient for me to search contacts and dial.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-16 07:29 PM
    I had the Bold 9900, Q10 and am now using the Classic. I also have an IPhone and I must say I see myself using the Classic a lot more. In comparison to the Bold 9900 the keyboard seems much more comfortable to me, also the suggestions are a big advantage. Also it seems to me that Autocorrect is better learning. Also the Classic is less handy than the 9900 but has just the right screen size to make Social media usage and Web browsing very comfortable. If you don't have super small hands the size should be a problem. Also keep in mind that if productivity is key to you the Classic is a little bit more fitting than the Passport. You just have that "Productivity Phone" feel combined with the best key structure of all Blackberrys and the trackpad with the navigation keys. All this makes the Classic an ideal workphone which is big enough not to think of the restrictions you have with a super small phone.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-16 06:01 PM
    ...All this makes the Classic an ideal workphone which is big enough not to think of the restrictions you have with a super small phone.
    Never heard a Classic owner say anything bad about their device.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-21-16 06:29 PM

How is your Classic in your shirt pocket? Is one sleeve longer than the other after?

Can you put a Classic in your front pocket and still bend over to tie a shoelace

Ok ok just razzin' ya

I actually love that the 9900 is shorter and stubbier than my long and too narrow iphone.....and they are about the same thickness when side by side but I think many find the Classic too big for what they want, despite it being an amazing device.

I don't mind the smaller screen and most shouldn't if all they are doing is texting and communications, calling, etc. Maybe because I am younger but I don't have a problem using social media or even watching Youtube vids. I take off my glasses and I am near-sighted anyway so.....

To each their own I guess. It really all depends what exactly the OP wants to do with the device. Hopefully he will respond soon so we can narrow our advice down to help better.

08-21-16 06:37 PM
    ...To each their own I guess. It really all depends what exactly the OP wants to do with the device. Hopefully he will respond soon so we can narrow our advice down to help better.
    Completely agree. Whether a particular user likes the Bold or Classic better is a matter of preference.

08-21-16 06:55 PM

So why are you using your 9900 then?

Posted via CB10
    08-21-16 11:18 PM
    How is your Classic in your shirt pocket? Is one sleeve longer than the other after?

Can you put a Classic in your front pocket and still bend over to tie a shoelace

Ok ok just razzin' ya

I actually love that the 9900 is shorter and stubbier than my long and too narrow iphone.....and they are about the same thickness when side by side but I think many find the Classic too big for what they want, despite it being an amazing device.

I don't mind the smaller screen and most shouldn't if all they are doing is texting and communications, calling, etc. Maybe because I am younger but I don't have a problem using social media or even watching Youtube vids. I take off my glasses and I am near-sighted anyway so.....

To each their own I guess. It really all depends what exactly the OP wants to do with the device. Hopefully he will respond soon so we can narrow our advice down to help better.

Agree with you on the preference point. Hope people give Classic a try because it really makes you less dependent from your computer. When you are comfortably looking at data, browsing (for work purposes) it makes you feel more at ease when you just have your BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-16 11:22 PM
    Agree with you on the preference point. Hope people give Classic a try because it really makes you less dependent from your computer. When you are comfortably looking at data, browsing (for work purposes) it makes you feel more at ease when you just have your BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Yup, the keyboard is why I think I am more relaxed on a Blackberry.

08-21-16 11:28 PM
    Thank you all for the answers.

Truth be told there is still a lot of basic things that the 9900 does better and faster than the classic or Passport.
    I mostly do basic stuffs with my phone like I said (calls, texts, emails and I keep a very simple calendar), so the 9900 seems to be a good option for me.

After a bit of research, the things that might keep me away from the 9900 are the BIS / BES stuff, I'll have to contact my carier and ask if they still support it. The battery of the 9900 also seems to be not very good. The Classic has quite a lot of advantages too (apps, better screen, battery, ...). On the good side, the 9900 is smaller and has a better keyboard and trackpad according to a lot of people. Plus I haven't seen a better looking phone !

I think this sums up quite well my questions. Only the way that users are talking about the 9900 and the fact that so many people still use it makes me consider it as an option, otherwise I would only be hesitating between a Classic and a Passport.
    08-22-16 10:42 AM
    Well IF ALL you are going to be doing is basic stuff you WILL get 12 or more hours out of a battery charge.

Reading the first couple pages of the Resurgance thread would provide all the convincing anyone could possibly need, but it sounds like you made your mind up, especially if BIS availability where you are is an issue.

08-22-16 12:13 PM
    I'm a big fan (and major advocate) of the 9900 but if you're new to BlackBerry and are coming from an Android background I would find it difficult to recommend that you buy one today. Most of us who continue to use (and enjoy) 9900s have used the device or it's predecessors for several years and fully recognise and accept the limitations of using an OS7 BlackBerry. You might be happier with a BB10 device like the Classic, Passport or Q10, all remain very capable devices with excellent BlackBerry physical keyboards. The 9900 is arguably the best pkb smartphone that BlackBerry produced and it remains highly usable in 2016 BUT only if you're prepared to accept it's limitations.
    David Tyler, idssteve and iRetired like this.
    08-22-16 01:11 PM
    I'm a big fan (and major advocate) of the 9900 but if you're new to BlackBerry and are coming from an Android background I would find it difficult to recommend that you buy one today. Most of us who continue to use (and enjoy) 9900s have used the device or it's predecessors for several years and fully recognise and accept the limitations of using an OS7 BlackBerry. You might be happier with a BB10 device like the Classic, Passport or Q10, all remain very capable devices with excellent BlackBerry physical keyboards. The 9900 is arguably the best pkb smartphone that BlackBerry produced and it remains highly usable in 2016 BUT only if you're prepared to accept it's limitations.
    Good points! "Set UP" can be a little intimidating, we forgot to mention that.

How does the set up on a BB10 compare? Personally I was ok with my set p even back in 2011 on the 9780, its basically the exact same thing for menus, but if I didn't know what something was, there is Google.

08-22-16 01:15 PM
    I guess for myself I don't consider this device as "limiting." For everything I do on it, the speed and the apps I need, they are all there. Other than playing Pokemon (I have an iphone for that) it's enough. Also many people have "app overload" where notifications run their life, so there can be beauty in not having as many apps to begin with.

I would never expect a 5 year old device to do everything an iphone can today, but lets be honest, if this device was so terribly "limiting" we simply wouldn't be using them imo.

All of these apps function perfectly....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using TapatalkSo, what's so great about this phone ? (hesitating bewteen the 9900 and newer BB's)-img_1471890843.627197.jpgSo, what's so great about this phone ? (hesitating bewteen the 9900 and newer BB's)-img_1471890852.725226.jpg
    08-22-16 01:30 PM
    May as well get my functionality videos too.....

08-22-16 01:36 PM
    I have a Passport SE that I use most of the time. I use the Bold a.) on bike rides, because it fits in my under-seat pouch, b.) at the gym, because it's so light, and c.) just 'cuz I wanna sometimes. Maybe a Classic would serve all my needs, but I really dig the Passport and Bold.

08-22-16 05:19 PM
    "Set UP" can be a little intimidating, we forgot to mention that.

How does the set up on a BB10 compare?
    BB10 set-up in 10.3.2 is liquid smooth. I haven't found anything that doesn't work, especially the gmail component.

So, what's so great about this phone ? (hesitating bewteen the 9900 and newer BB's)-img_20160815_210537.png

Q10 SQN100-2 10.3.2.2813 / 9930 7.1.0.1066
    David Tyler likes this.
    08-23-16 06:27 PM
    BB10 set-up in 10.3.2 is liquid smooth. I haven't found anything that doesn't work, especially the gmail component.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160815_210537.png 
Views:	225 
Size:	254.8 KB 
ID:	407052

charge your battery

08-23-16 06:30 PM
    charge your battery

You know it! Best part is the quick change battery...

08-23-16 09:08 PM
53 123