Will they keep having new os7 releases or are we done for? I really like my 9900 and would like to try a 10 but I don't have a real reason to upgrade. Mine does what I want it to. Should I go ahead and buy 3 or 4 more new ones to put in the closet for when mine eventually breaks or just get a new device?

RIM has spent a lot of time and energy on 10, I can't see them supporting 7 for too long.
    01-04-13 12:20 PM
    Well, it's a similar story with windows 8 & 7. BlackBerry 7 will still have support because most users will be wary of jumping at first release, they'd rather wait for debugs.
    01-04-13 12:24 PM
    I am sure they will support 7.0 I would like to see them give a early out if anyone has a agreement with Sprint or ATT or others to get them on the new OS 10
    01-04-13 12:25 PM
    Thorsten Heins himself stated OS7.x will keep getting support for while. OS7 is still very important for entry-level device ranges as well as for quite some of the emerging markets out there. You can read more about it here:
    BlackBerry OS 7 devices will continue to be supported through the transition to BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com

I am also not sure if I will upgrade my 9900 to the QWERTY BB10 right from the start or not. My phone is not even nine months old and I bought it at full-price, I am somehow sick of that upgrade game every 12-18 months, especially since I am mostly satisfied by the Bold.
    01-04-13 12:34 PM
    It will not only be supported, but will continue to get upgrades as all other old software iterations do.
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    01-04-13 12:55 PM
    just heard of a new release of I think a new curve this month, I don't see Rim dropping support for os7 anytime soon
    01-04-13 01:03 PM
    It will not only be supported, but will continue to get upgrades as all other old software iterations do.
    Yes, that is what I wanted to say. Support also includes software updates to both native apps and device firmware. We have already got new BBM and Twitter versions, that Navigation thing for the UK just hit Beta Zone. Also a 7.1.0.8xx firmware is in the works, so there is still some stuff going one.

Of course we most likely will see newer firmwares less often (keep in mind 2012 there was almost one release/month for major devices), since OS7.1 got pretty mature where it stands today.
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    01-04-13 01:37 PM