Will this mean anything? I hope it doesn't mean current T-Mobile customers won't be seeing the Bold Touch until the sale is complete. (up to 12 months)

AT&T to acquire T-Mobile from Deutsche Telekom for $39 billion | BGR
    03-20-11 06:54 PM
    It doesn't mean anything. Nothing is going to change for at least a year. Companies are gonna do the same thing consumers should be doing and that's waiting the year out and seeing what ATT chooses to do, until then it's business as usual for everyone.
    03-20-11 07:37 PM
    The questions is would you guys still get the Dakota?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-11 08:16 PM
    I originally thought that it would mean pentaband devices (and therefore an iPhone for WIND), but T-Mobile has confirmed that their network will be kept separate.
    03-20-11 08:45 PM
    the gsm version of the storm 3(monza) that was destined to end up on tmo,will eventually be added to at&t's lineup.
    03-21-11 12:12 AM
    the gsm version of the storm 3(monza) that was destined to end up on tmo,will eventually be added to at&t's lineup.
    It was almost certainly going to released on both carriers anyway.
    03-21-11 02:27 PM
    I will not be buying any new T-mo phone from now until after this merge goes through!

I can just see it now...

Buying the Dakota on Tmo as soon as it comes out (ASSUMING! tmo gets the Dakota) and months later AT&Tmo become officially one and any Tmo branded phone will be useless thus forcing all Tmo users to have to purchase an AT&T branded phone and I will have to pay even more $$ ....

o_0

does that make sense for anyone or have i gone off in my rambling

needless to say im willing to bet that once the dust settles on this merge ALL Tmo Phones will eventually be useless and will not work on the new network plan they set up...

Im sticking with my 9780 until the dust settles with AT&Tmo

hopefully my contract will expire by the time everything goes through and if i dont like the merge i can just jump ship

((Rumor: *cough* Sprints getting the Dakota *cough*))
    03-21-11 03:29 PM
    I think you're worrying too much and thinking the worst. Won't be anything close to that for a very....very long time. No reason to stick with an outdated phone for that long.
    03-21-11 04:10 PM
    True lol

I will just have to wait for when my contract is up before I decide...
    03-21-11 05:33 PM
    This is the same type of thing (thoughts) that were flying around when Cingular bought AT&T. I was on AT&T @ the time and had a Berry then as well, my entire famaily and the family business lines were all with them as well. The acquisition was announced and the same stuff started flying around. Well, that came and went and I used my ATT branded BB until WELL after the acquisition was complete and my monthly bill and plan details have not been changed or effected hardly at all since that time, so; to sum up. It is the SAME situation 10 years later. At the end of the day, the customer experience won't change. Prices won't "sky rocket" etc etc.

03-21-11 06:11 PM
    prices for ATT customers won't skyrocket. they're already paying out the ears for the same thing TMO customers are getting for half the price and twice the service.

yeah you guys who have had ATT all along prolly won't notice the change, but those of us who love our unlimited data, decent phone plans with unlimited nights and weekends, and paying a decent price for a good plan will notice more than just a slight change. i'm not looking forward to searching for wifi everywhere again just because i have limited data or going over my minutes every month because ATT is stingy about what they give our for their price.
    03-21-11 06:39 PM
    prices for ATT customers won't skyrocket. they're already paying out the ears for the same thing TMO customers are getting for half the price and twice the service.

yeah you guys who have had ATT all along prolly won't notice the change, but those of us who love our unlimited data, decent phone plans with unlimited nights and weekends, and paying a decent price for a good plan will notice more than just a slight change. i'm not looking forward to searching for wifi everywhere again just because i have limited data or going over my minutes every month because ATT is stingy about what they give our for their price.
    If the deal goes through and we go from 4 big national carriers down to 3 in which two of those as of now offer unlimitied data...AT&T may be forced to follow suit don't you guys think?
    03-22-11 08:54 AM
    That won't likely happen unless they lose a lot of customers... AT&T is proud of their service and prices... this is why I dropped my service with them a long time ago... I've had far less dropped calls since I switched...
    03-22-11 03:23 PM
    exactly. all those other carries (including ATT) had unlimited years ago. Then ATT decided to drop that option while everyone else kept it.

so your logic of "they'll follow suit" doesn't make sense since they're not following suit now.

i can see them bringing it back, but only after they've lost customers to it. I will be one of those if they don't offer unlimited data. I hated having to disable features of my phone or not use internet as i pleased because i was paying $25 a month for a sad 2GB of data. I pay $30 at TMO for unlimited. And again, that's great if you have unlimited, but it's not an option for newbies and i'm not seeing it just magically pop up again once this merger happens. it's already been taken away without a merger happening.
    Last edited by olliegrl; 03-22-11 at 04:58 PM.
    03-22-11 04:55 PM
    T-Mo phones won't be obsolete even if this merger goes through, as you can unlock any T-Mo phone and use it on AT&T network right now, a merger won't change that. The only thing is that your T-Mo phone, unless 4G, won't work on At&t 3g, so you'll be on EDGE instead.
    03-22-11 05:06 PM
    The reports i've heard have said TMO 3G will go away too.

and you don't consider going from 3G to just EDGE being obsolete? I sure do...and it's especially a pain cause that's basically forcing me to buy a new phone either way seeing as I have a 9700. I feel like buying a new phone should be a choice not something more or less forced upon me. Basically ATT is saying "you can still keep your service, but if you want better than 2006 technology you have to buy a new device."
    03-22-11 06:00 PM
    exactly. all those other carries (including ATT) had unlimited years ago. Then ATT decided to drop that option while everyone else kept it.

so your logic of "they'll follow suit" doesn't make sense since they're not following suit now.

i can see them bringing it back, but only after they've lost customers to it. I will be one of those if they don't offer unlimited data. .
    AT&T moved to tiered data pricing before the iphone went to VZ and as sole carrier of this device, they were able to do whatever they wanted...no competition right. Again, if you have 3 choices, and let's say at least VZ continues to carry comparable devices (the iphone, etc) while offering unlimited data, i see a lot of people switching and leaving at&t.

If they want to retain their clients, at&T will have to offer unlimited data as well or very compelling pricing.
    03-23-11 09:23 AM
    I wonder what AT&T buying T-Mobile means for the G2...I wonder if AT&T will get a version.

03-24-11 11:06 PM
    The only thing is that your T-Mo phone, unless 4G, won't work on At&t 3g, so you'll be on EDGE instead.
    T-Mobile 3G/4G works off the same bands, abeit different channels. Therefore if AT&T decides to get rid of the 1700/2100 Mhz freq. band, neither 3G or 4G will work.
    Last edited by phoneking13; 03-25-11 at 09:32 PM.
    03-25-11 09:30 PM
    AT&T moved to tiered data pricing before the iphone went to VZ and as sole carrier of this device, they were able to do whatever they wanted...no competition right. Again, if you have 3 choices, and let's say at least VZ continues to carry comparable devices (the iphone, etc) while offering unlimited data, i see a lot of people switching and leaving at&t.

If they want to retain their clients, at&T will have to offer unlimited data as well or very compelling pricing.
    ATT (at the moment) has 3 other carriers to compete with and they don't seem that concerned with offering unlimited data or decent plans now, so i don't think that going down to just 2 carriers' competition is going to change anything.
    03-26-11 11:36 AM
    ATT (at the moment) has 3 other carriers to compete with and they don't seem that concerned with offering unlimited data or decent plans now, so i don't think that going down to just 2 carriers' competition is going to change anything.
    Honestly, working and knowing how the federal government works, I can not see this merger approved. But if **** does freeze over and it happens, guess it's time to bend over and just deal with it. Maybe by also some miracle AT&T will finally relax on some things. And who knows, with the extra towers they might bring back unlimited data plans.....
    04-01-11 06:52 AM
    i'm not dealing with anything. i'm not going to sit here and pay out the azz for shizzy service. i'll jump ship to Verizon.
    04-01-11 11:58 PM
    I run EDGE 90% of the time and don't notice a huge difference from that to 3G unless streaming music, but more so videos...

So isn't like your phone will be obsolete...

I understand to a point about paying so much money, but people need to relax on the phone being useless after a merger, it just isn't true...

04-03-11 09:39 AM
    I run EDGE 90% of the time and don't notice a huge difference from that to 3G unless streaming music, but more so videos...

So isn't like your phone will be obsolete...

I understand to a point about paying so much money, but people need to relax on the phone being useless after a merger, it just isn't true...

There is a huge difference between EDGE, HSPA, & even more difference with HSPA+. Don't be so disingenuine about it. Data moves much faster on T-Mobile's 3G & 4G network. My 9700 crawled at home because I was lucky to have 3 bars of EDGE on a good day. When I drove to the city, where the HSPA network first went up, there was a huge difference in data speeds. Flash forward to when I had my G2, slow speeds with EDGE, but traveling down to the city when they flipped the switch for HSPA+ and the data speeds soared. In fact, the HSPA+ speeds were almost as fast as on WiFi at home.
    04-03-11 10:15 AM
    That is your experience and really your opinion. Its not like I don't get 3G when I get in the city. Yeah I can stream music/videos faster and browsing full websites is faster, but not drastic, heck at times I have had better luck on EDGE than 3G...

Just saying your phone won't be rendered useless if this takes place. Seems people are confusing others as there phone won't work at all.

I am actual quite impressed with EDGE speed around here. Yes, I would like to have 3G all the time, but just is not the case.

One thing I do know is if and it is a big if I was to stay with ATT I would actually get 3G most places locally. Just need to switch to different phone and probably end up on a crap plan to what I am used to paying.

04-03-11 11:02 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD