I fired up the 9900 again just to keep things going. Good to see my little provider still has BIS turned on.
    Then I find the default AccuWeather app doesn't even work anymore? Just the endless spinning dots...Is this the same for everyone else?

I was wondering when I would be forced to put this thing away finally. I mean, weather is not the end of the world, but I'd hate to be out and about and be surprised by yet another outage of some service or app...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-17-19 11:36 AM
    That happens when apps aren’t maintained. Things change on the service side and when they do this nobody on that QA team is pulling out an old 9900 to see if it still works.

This forum is probably the best place for the community to record what still works and what doesn’t. This is the largest community of people who care about BBOS. BB, Ltd has moved on
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-17-19 11:44 AM
    Its a EOL device things will break like mentioned on the server side and that will be it.
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-17-19 04:39 PM
    I fired up the 9900 again just to keep things going. Good to see my little provider still has BIS turned on.
    Then I find the default AccuWeather app doesn't even work anymore? Just the endless spinning dots...Is this the same for everyone else?

I was wondering when I would be forced to put this thing away finally. I mean, weather is not the end of the world, but I'd hate to be out and about and be surprised by yet another outage of some service or app...

I hardly think an 8 year old device owes you much anymore.
    06-17-19 08:54 PM
    I hardly think an 8 year old device owes you much anymore.
    You beat me to it

Edit: I guess you could say the same thing about an 8 year old Range Rover
    06-17-19 09:11 PM

The Weather Network app still works for me. I'm using the OS 7 version from here: http://weyebb.pelmorex.com/BlackBerry/
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-18-19 02:02 PM
    You beat me to it

Edit: I guess you could say the same thing about an 8 year old Range Rover
    I'm not suggesting BlackBerry, or my Bold, or anyone else 'owes' me anything. Just checking if I'm the only one seeing the borkage.

However this whole mobile apps thing is kind of stupid in many ways. My car is over 10 years old. Nobody tells me it is 'unsupported ', nobody expects functions to stop working. They don't say 'Ah sorry, we changed the shape of the petrol refueling nozzle, just get a new car'. Or no, sorry we decided we don't support FM radios anymore, just because amplitude and frequency modulation are old school, let's switch to phase modulation because we can!

I have computers over 10 years old that still work. The programs I installed still function just fine as the day they were installed.
    Accuweather still looks fine and has the same data even on those ancient browsers. Only on mobile apps do the server side arbitrarily change data access mechanisms and formats on a whim...
    ppeters914 likes this.
    06-18-19 05:54 PM
    I'm not suggesting BlackBerry, or my Bold, or anyone else 'owes' me anything. Just checking if I'm the only one seeing the borkage.

However this whole mobile apps thing is kind of stupid in many ways. My car is over 10 years old. Nobody tells me it is 'unsupported ', nobody expects functions to stop working. They don't say 'Ah sorry, we changed the shape of the petrol refueling nozzle, just get a new car'. Or no, sorry we decided we don't support FM radios anymore, just because amplitude and frequency modulation are old school, let's switch to phase modulation because we can!

I have computers over 10 years old that still work. The programs I installed still function just fine as the day they were installed.
    Accuweather still looks fine and has the same data even on those ancient browsers. Only on mobile apps do the server side arbitrarily change data access mechanisms and formats on a whim...
    It's mobile technology as a whole. Soon that phone won't even work as a phone, as 3G is being phased out so that LTE and 5G can be expanded. This will allow better service for most and lots of new features - including networks to enhance driverless cars and drone package delivery and all kinds of other things. But, yes, that means older stuff no longer works.

Mobile devices have LOTS and LOTS of dependencies, which is why they are incredibly expensive to maintain over time (and develop in the first place), and they are designed with the idea that most people will use them for 2-3 years max and that after 5 years, they are EOL whether or not they are officially declared to be.

BBOS (v6 & v7) was officially EOL back in 2014. The failure of apps and services in 2019 should hardly be a surprise.
    bbfanfan and ppeters914 like this.
    06-18-19 06:33 PM

The scale is different between mobile, computers, and cars; to make your analogies more accurate you'd be searching for Studebaker parts and CP/M support.
    06-18-19 07:01 PM

As others have said, desktops and laptops are not evolving that quickly anymore. Phones have been.

You made an assumption about arbitrary changes to services on a "whim". That's simply not supported by facts. These services are run by businesses who aren't going to make changes and spend money just for fun. Some reasons that service protocols and endpoints change:

- Scale. Most popular mobile services are used an order of magnitude (some 2 orders) more than they were 10 years ago. That necessitates changes in the backend.

- Security. Most services have to support new security standards that were not available in BB0S or early android or iOS. It's often not worth supporting new standards for 99% of users who get a new phone every few years (or better) and also spend money supporting the <1% of users who are trying to use a phone OS from a decade ago

- Features. Most service support more features than they did 10 years ago. As features expand and supported formats expand, it makes sense to rethink your APIs from time to time. Again, once 99% of users are on the new APIs, why bother spending money on the old ones for the those few people who are left?
    ppeters914 and BigBadWulf like this.
    06-18-19 09:16 PM
    Imagine if tires were completely different every 10-15 years or so, and the roads resurfaced for the new tires so that the old ones couldn't use the roads anymore, and you'd have a good idea why mobile devices aren't supported indefinitely. Changes like that don't really happen in the car world, or when they do, older cars are able to be "grandfathered in" (with the costs born by the car owners). With mobile, the costs for service and support is borne by the developers, so they're not going to support old stuff forever.
    06-18-19 10:38 PM
    Changes like that don't really happen in the car world, or when they do, older cars are able to be "grandfathered in" (with the costs born by the car owners).
    They took the lead out!
    howarmat and Mecca EL like this.
    06-18-19 11:07 PM

Bookmark a lightweight weather website, like https://weather.gc.ca/ ?
    06-19-19 06:18 AM
    I shocked that so much still works on BBOS phones at this point... in some markets where 3G will live on for years to come, I expect we will be still be getting questions on where to get apps or what works without BIS..... probably longer than BB10 users will hold out. At least with BBOS it's easy to archive and reinstall apps..

But then while I know many have tested using BB10 devices without a BBID activation, do BBOS device work without a BBID?
    06-19-19 07:26 AM
    Apples and Oranges
    06-19-19 07:51 AM

But then while I know many have tested using BB10 devices without a BBID activation, do BBOS device work without a BBID?
    If I recall, BBID came with version 2 of BlackBerry App World, but was not a part of BBOS itself. I only had to add the ID on my Torch 9800 when App World updated to v2. Beyond that, I don't recall much else.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-19-19 08:58 AM
    Well, this particular app works fine on both my Passport devices as we speak.

Of course I cannot know what future will bring, but I am happy with the "nothing lasts forever" saying, and if I get to that stage, I am positive I will be able to find a replacement.
    06-19-19 11:36 AM
    "Nothing lasts forever":
    Telefónica O2 Germany has begun to inform customers that BIS will cease in September. Sob.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-19 03:15 AM
    "Nothing lasts forever":
    Telefónica O2 Germany has begun to inform customers that BIS will cease in September. Sob.

Posted via CB10
    That’s okay. Since your CB signature lists you’re on BB10 hardware.
    06-22-19 08:53 AM
    Yes true, but not for work purposes. I then prefer the Bold's haptics, PKB, shortcuts and the follow-up feature for emails. But Thx for trying to console me. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    06-22-19 12:03 PM
    As others have said, desktops and laptops are not evolving that quickly anymore. Phones have been.

You made an assumption about arbitrary changes to services on a "whim". That's simply not supported by facts. These services are run by businesses who aren't going to make changes and spend money just for fun. ...
    Sometimes true, but I think sometimes they do it just to spite some users.
    OneDrive (that was BB10) died, ok, I get it, everybody has to refresh their app.

This weather thing in particular? Come on, is it delivering any new information? Has what people wanted for the forecast changed recently? BB10's weather app has not been updated in YEARS, yet it still works and it uses the same source as the BB7 one, so how come BB10 app didn't break?

Unsupported is fine (that's like trying to find parts for my Edsel). Changing the standard because it's better is fine (that's like pulling the lead from the gas). But what mobile apps do a lot of time is more like "Oh I see you're still running that 1957 Peugot, I'm sorry, you're not allowed to fill up here even though it takes the same gas and the nozzle still fits cause we just don't think you should run such an old car"

Anyways, it is what it is, just a minor rant, I've got phones to move on to that continue to work well.

Posted via CB10
    ppeters914 likes this.
    06-24-19 04:48 PM
    OneDrive (that was BB10) died, ok, I get it, everybody has to refresh their app.

This weather thing in particular? Come on, is it delivering any new information? Has what people wanted for the forecast changed recently? BB10's weather app has not been updated in YEARS, yet it still works and it uses the same source as the BB7 one, so how come BB10 app didn't break?

Unsupported is fine (that's like trying to find parts for my Edsel). Changing the standard because it's better is fine (that's like pulling the lead from the gas). But what mobile apps do a lot of time is more like "Oh I see you're still running that 1957 Peugot, I'm sorry, you're not allowed to fill up here even though it takes the same gas and the nozzle still fits cause we just don't think you should run such an old car"

Anyways, it is what it is, just a minor rant, I've got phones to move on to that continue to work well.

Posted via CB10
    Eventually you can't buy leaded gasoline anymore.
    Last edited by conite; 06-24-19 at 06:21 PM.
    06-24-19 05:22 PM
    Bookmark their website. Done.
    06-24-19 05:32 PM
    Bookmark their website. Done.
    Exactly. I mentioned earlier, amidst the rants.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-19 05:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    So you’re saying that some product owner got in front of roadmap planning and said “forget all the other stuff on the backlog! We should make a set of complete arbitrary and unnecessary changes to our APIs for no reason other than to spite this tiny number of users over here who are using an old OS”. You actually think someone directed their team to do this? Keep in mind when you change the APIs you also have to change the iOS and Android apps plus all your test frameworks, etc. That makes no sense and any actual product owner who suggested such a thing would be laughed out of the room! Developers and testers are way too busy to waste time on silly things. Also if you give them pointless things to do they leave.

APIs don’t change only because of content changes. Examples of api changes that have nothing to with new information being transmitted:

- we moved to a CDN
    - we had a CDN and moved to a different one
    - we coalesced some calls for performance reasons
    - OR we broke some calls down for perf reasons
    - we went to a binary format
    - OR we went to a text format because it’s wrapped in gzip downstream anyway
    - we rewrote the backend to something more modern or performant and we took the opportunity to clean up regrets in the API (super common! How many people run exactly the same stack that they did 10 years ago?)
    - we went serverless
    - we moved to containers and we had to make some changes to endpoints
    - etc, etc, etc.

Running a service at massive scale with millions of users is a constant process of improvement and optimization (Including cost optimization) and modernization (as more efficient and more secure and more scalable and easier to maintain technologies become available)
    TgeekB and ppeters914 like this.
    06-24-19 06:27 PM
27 12