Some were saying that they were worried about possible issues with the Bold 9900 camera. I wanted to see what I could get without auto-focus on.

Bold 9800. No focus.

I turned off auto-focus, turned on "close-up" mode, then zoomed in once in focus.
    Nickerz likes this.
    08-14-11 10:59 AM
    So, what's the point? The camera issue has been beaten to death. We all know there is no auto focus with the 9930/9900. It's a freaking 5mp camera.....either use it or don't.
    ericlc2, wxmancanada and mozzamay like this.
    08-14-11 11:13 AM
    So, what's the point? The camera issue has been beaten to death. We all know there is no auto focus with the 9930/9900. It's a freaking 5mp camera.....either use it or don't.
    If you judge the picture, you'll notice that it's a "close up" of text on a screen. People have posted pictures that were really terrible, but from my experience with the Torch 9800 camera with AF turned off, I was able to get a decent snapshot.
    Nickerz likes this.
    08-14-11 11:16 AM
    If you judge the picture, you'll notice that it's a "close up" of text on a screen. People have posted pictures that were really terrible, but from my experience with the Torch 9800 camera with AF turned off, I was able to get a decent snapshot.
    Cool, but I guess I'm on the short bus.....the 9800 has a totally different camera than the 9900/9930. No reason to compare the two. I guess I'm wondering why you made the comparison.
    08-14-11 11:23 AM
    Cool, but I guess I'm on the short bus.....the 9800 has a totally different camera than the 9900/9930. No reason to compare the two. I guess I'm wondering why you made the comparison.
    You're correct. They are different cameras, but they are both 5 MP cameras with flash. I was looking to compare a "non-focus 5MP camera" similar to the 9900.

I wanted to make a comparison by turning off auto-focus, changing the mode, and zooming in to get the best quality text picture.

All the posts I have seen have had terrible text pictures. I haven't seen any zoom in on text once focused.
    08-14-11 11:27 AM
    You're correct. They are different cameras, but they are both 5 MP cameras with flash. I was looking to compare a "non-focus 5MP camera" similar to the 9900.

I wanted to make a comparison by turning off auto-focus, changing the mode, and zooming in to get the best quality text picture.

All the posts I have seen have had terrible text pictures. I haven't seen any zoom in on text once focused.
    Great, this is a 9900/9930 forum, why not post this in the 9800 forums?
    08-14-11 11:33 AM
    I don't think anyone's getting the OP's point. He's trying to show that the lack of auto-focus can be somewhat compensated by using the zoom function instead of taking the picture close-up. Doing the same thing with the 9900 will yield similar results. I've tested it myself, and it's almost a night and day difference in terms of clarity.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-11 11:37 AM
    I don't think anyone's getting the OP's point. He's trying to show that the lack of auto-focus can be somewhat compensated by using the zoom function instead of taking the picture close-up. Doing the same thing with the 9900 will yield similar results. I've tested it myself, and it's almost a night and day difference in terms of clarity.

Sure, with the 9800.
    08-14-11 11:47 AM
    No... I've tested it with my 9900.

08-14-11 01:31 PM
    Really? Cause the 9900 sports the exact same camera as the Playbook. So if the Op wants to test a device that has the same camera as the 9900, then awesome! I just don't see the point of testing a device's camera that has nothing to do with the forum. I have a 9780, 9700, 8330. Do I whine and test those to back up my claims? No. Wanna know why? Cause the camera isn't the same.

Last edited by Oniberry; 08-14-11 at 01:42 PM.
    08-14-11 01:37 PM
    Have someone with a 9900 or 9930 duplicate this picture with their phone....
    ...After the picture is posted you will know exactly what we've been talking about.
    ...And are upset at.
    08-14-11 01:47 PM
    Why is everyone jumping on him? He's making a point to show that the whole lack of auto-focus can be worked around to produce solid pictures. He's showing what he found works and is sharing it; the 9800 and 9900 may have different cameras but he turned auto-focus off on his 9800 as to show that an emulated edof camera works fine.
    08-14-11 01:48 PM
    The camera does work fine, unless you need to take close up shots of text or handwriting on paper. I have taken almost 30 shots with different settings. Close up checked (crappy picture), Text setting (still crappy) with flash without, daytime, artificial light, etc....

Bottom line is, yeah the camera works. It should work better.

I don't care how the camera on the 9800 performs. I'm not using one.

@Python - I know. If I didn't, I would only have to look at any of the posts you have written in the last 24 hours. I know why you are pissed at the camera. Sorry.

@dalton4L - because he is testing another phone's capability in a forum for the 9900/9930. I appreciate the help. My photos on the 9900 do not come out likt that, at least for any of the combination of settings I have tried. So thanks.

08-14-11 01:59 PM
    The camera does work fine, unless you need to take close up shots of text or handwriting on paper. I have taken almost 30 shots with different settings. Close up checked (crappy picture), Text setting (still crappy) with flash without, daytime, artificial light, etc....

Bottom line is, yeah the camera works. It should work better.

I don't care how the camera on the 9800 performs. I'm not using one.

@Python - I know. If I didn't, I would only have to look at any of the posts you have written in the last 24 hours. I know why you are pissed at the camera. Sorry.

@dalton4L - because he is testing another phone's capability in a forum for the 9900/9930. I appreciate the help. My photos on the 9900 do not come out likt that, at least for any of the combination of settings I have tried. So thanks.

You talked about settings, but did you try the zoom in work around?

08-14-11 02:06 PM
    Why is everyone jumping on him? He's making a point to show that the whole lack of auto-focus can be worked around to produce solid pictures. He's showing what he found works and is sharing it; the 9800 and 9900 may have different cameras but he turned auto-focus off on his 9800 as to show that an emulated edof camera works fine.
    This supposed work-around has been fully explored and documented already -right here on crackberry forums...
    ...When someone shoots text in a book or a website the point is to capture all of it.
    ...So you can see what it's saying.

I'll demonstrate what has already been demonstrated elsewhere...
    ...By posting a picture of this very post - with a nearly three year old Blackberry.

NOW, all we have to do is have somone duplicate what I've done - using their 9900...
    ...There are more then enough of those phones in the hands of forum members now to easily do this.

Do we have ANY takers?
    Last edited by pythons; 08-14-11 at 02:26 PM.
    08-14-11 02:11 PM
    You talked about settings, but did you try the zoom in work around?
    I did try the work zoomaround. Imo it was still lacking. I do not use the camera much on my berries as a rule. Mostly cause between the time it took to focus and shoot and finally take the picture was a tad too long. I am more a video camera user with my berries. For others where they find they have to take photos of writing, detailing, extreme close ups, I do not think the 9900 is the best device. I wonder if they could make a material that you could snap onto the housing to magnify photos if you wanted to take a shot of something small. I'm sure some enterprising young person will come up with something.

08-14-11 02:13 PM
    He's doing so because he obviously knows that a lot of people have an issue with the 9900 camera and he feels he may have found a solution, albeit with a different, somewhat similar camera. I don't think this is a miscategorized thread, the content of the OP's OP was an attempt to help with the 9900 camera 'issue' so I think it fits.
    calicocat2010 likes this.
    08-14-11 02:18 PM
    Yeah. Thanks, but I didn't really ask. I was just responding to your question. If the OP's thread is helping you, or anyone else , that's all that matters.

Cheers,

08-14-11 02:24 PM
    Yeah. Thanks, but I didn't really ask. I was just responding to your question. If the OP's thread is helping you, or anyone else , that's all that matters.

Cheers,

You clearly misunderstood the OP's intention. I figured I'd help you out.

Good to see we can all understand each other now.
    southlander likes this.
    08-14-11 02:30 PM
    Wow, I have never seen so many "grown adults" act like babies. I am sure Kevin started this site as a way for fellow Blackberry users to share information to make the most of our berries. I am not a computer guy, nor am I a smart phone guy. I have became one because of the help I have received from people just like this OP.

I am truly ashamed to say I visit this site now. Flame me all you want, I DON"T CARE ANYMORE. When you attack an OP who is trying to help us all, and then have to have several other members to try to explain why he posted this on the 9930 forum, this forum and site is becoming the Jerry Springer web site.

I am not sure if Kevin reads these forums BUT if he did, do you really think this is why he started this site? Blackberry users are suppose to be the business users and the IPhone users are the kids. Well who is acting like kids now?

The phone did not come exactly to your specification. GET OVER IT AND GROW UP!!!!!
    mozzamay likes this.
    08-14-11 02:45 PM
    Wow, I have never seen so many "grown adults" act like babies. I am sure Kevin started this site as a way for fellow Blackberry users to share information to make the most of our berries. I am not a computer guy, nor am I a smart phone guy. I have became one because of the help I have received from people just like this OP.

I am truly ashamed to say I visit this site now. Flame me all you want, I DON"T CARE ANYMORE. When you attack an OP who is trying to help us all, and then have to have several other members to try to explain why he posted this on the 9930 forum, this forum and site is becoming the Jerry Springer web site.

I am not sure if Kevin reads these forums BUT if he did, do you really think this is why he started this site? Blackberry users are suppose to be the business users and the IPhone users are the kids. Well who is acting like kids now?

The phone did not come exactly to your specification. GET OVER IT AND GROW UP!!!!!
    On a side note - I am an iPhone user. Haha.
    08-14-11 02:47 PM

Unfortunately, when the RIM flagship device is reviewed and the picture it took of the reviewer's Family dog is compared to "a cartoon audition shot" RIM's role of business tool has been forfeit to Apple and Droid.

I'm a loyal BB user ( the 2nd to last in my company ) and over the years I've watched everyone but me and another person adopt driod or iphone.

RIM has taken over a diminishing market for kids to be frank.

Let's just all hope RIM realizes what it's been doing wrong and ceases to do those things.
    08-14-11 02:54 PM
    Unfortunately, when the RIM flagship device is reviewed and the picture it took of the reviewer's Family dog is compared to "a cartoon audition shot" RIM's role of business tool has been forfeit to Apple and Droid.
    The reviewer was referring to the yellowish hue of the shots. Fixable in software.
    08-14-11 02:58 PM

I'm a loyal BB user ( the 2nd to last in my company ) and over the years I've watched everyone but me and another person adopt driod or iphone.

RIM has taken over a diminishing market for kids to be frank.

Let's just all hope RIM realizes what it's been doing wrong and ceases to do those things.
    What you fail to remember, this isn't about RIM. This is Crackberry. Either come on here to help members or you come on here to put us down. Which is it? None of us made the decision to put the camera in the 99XX. All of us would like a better camera. Some of us are making our Crackberry experience bad.

I have been attacked because I ride a Harley. That doesn't bother me because I can handle it. But why attack someone on a site that is here to help with the Blackberry experience?

Now Python, I have read many reports from you and you have helped me. I just do not understand why a grown man needs to verbally attack a member for something RIM did. Why not try to help instead?
    Last edited by TMElectric; 08-14-11 at 03:05 PM.
    08-14-11 03:02 PM
    My question is is there any way to make it better with a software upgrade or will we never be able to see text on the 9900 camera ever.
    08-14-11 03:03 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD