I will admit that up until the 9900 I used my Iphone anytime I needed to browse the internet. The BB was pretty brutal in that department however finally it's reached a point where I'm not reaching into my other pocket for my Iphone or an Android flavored phone I have on hand.
    08-29-11 02:34 AM
    The 9930 is the most technologically advanced phone ever released.
    Except that it's not even close to being the most technologically advanced phone ever released.
    08-29-11 08:55 AM
    Feed the negativity? That's the last thing I want to do; I have already mentioned that I bought the 9930. I would like nothing better than to declare that it is my every dream come true. But it is not; not even close. My statements are backed by facts. I thought I gave reasons. Here are a few.

Probably the most important one is that my office uses Microsoft Outlook. With a Blackberry, after much difficulty, you can set up your work e-mail with Outlook. This allows you only to access your inbox. With a Droid - specifically the Photon 4g - there was a 'corporate sync' feature. This feature is exactly as it sounds; it synchronizes the user with all the information available on Outlook. I could access not just my inbox, but subfolders, my outbox, etc. I could e-mail anyone connected to our network at work by typing in their name. I was automatically synced wth my work calendar. This is a really big deal for me.

Here's another reason: We were in court, and opposing counsel cited a case that we thought was bogus during a trial. So during the break, co-counsel and I wanted to research the case before the court reconvened. I pulled out my phone and attempted to pull up the case on our research database. My browser tried to connected then stalled again and again. My co-counsel whips out his HTC Evo, and in less than a minute, we were reading the case. Good thing too, because the case did not stand for opposing counsel's proposition.

Here's another: while waiting at the airport for my flight to the UK, I signed into my Netflix account and took my mind off my recent breakup with my girlfriend by watching a movie. I supplemented that with watching clips from Youtube; Drioids actually have the application, not just a shortcut. When I arrived in the UK, I realized that I had forgotten to record my favorite show: Real Time on HBO with Bill Maher. Not to worry, AT&T Uverse - my cable carrier - has a DVR programmer application for the Droid, and I set it to record.

Here's another: I work 8 to 7 typically, and don't usually have time to stop at the bank. Not to worry, my bank - Citizens Bank - has an app for Droid for that purpose. There are advantages to having so many apps for the Droid. I downloaded free apps for the U.S. Constitution and the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure; all tools of the trade. With the Droid's speech to text feature, while driving, I can press a button and say "text Katrina." A screen will pop up, and I will press the button again, dictate my text, and hit send. Katrina would have my text in seconds, all without my typing any words. All my favorite news stations: CNN and MSNBC have dedicated apps for Droids, replete with videos. Oh, and the ability to video conference with the double cameras is not to be seen with contempt either.

These are just a few reasons that I can come up with on the fly. I could list more if I sat back to reflect on it more.
    So all this and you decided to part with your droid and get a bb...please tell me why you made this move when obviously droid is king?
    08-29-11 09:12 AM
    I've never really been a fan of the default themes, but otherwise i really like the BlackBerry OS. I just hope BBT Designs is still around by the time RIM gets Theme Builder out for OS7 hah....

If QNX is the next step, think I'll be holding on to my 9900 for a few years...
    08-29-11 09:53 AM
    So all this and you decided to part with your droid and get a bb...please tell me why you made this move when obviously droid is king?
    "Droid is obviously the king" are your words not mine. But here's the reason I returned it: Sprint is a CDMA carrier, meaning that most of their phones are not capable of use as "World Phones" because they don't have SIM cards that can be replaced. World phones are a must have for me. On the Sprint network, there's only one Droid that's also a World Phone; that's the Photon 4g. I did purchase it, and ended up returning it because their was a glitch with it where the user sporadically could not hear the person on the other line. Ironically, 3 days after I returned it, I was told the phones had received a software update that resolved the issue. The only other gripe that I had with the phone was the size. It was huge, comparatively speaking. So there; that's my story.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Barredbard; 08-29-11 at 04:08 PM.
    08-29-11 10:10 AM
    What planet do you live on?
    Planet called Crackberry and country called 99xx, so what you doing in my town btw
    08-29-11 10:13 AM
    I feel so torn inside.....as has become normal for BB.. another new device..yet it feels the same.

Yes it looks good, wonderful keyboard, good having the touch screen, faster.... but unfortunatley its still the same.. sigh.....the same boring interface that goes back how many years? Yes some will argue that the iphone has had the same interface for years as well, and yes thats correct even though I'm not a huge fan of ios either, at least you can do a lot more with it.

+1 to rim for FINALLY improving the build quality and materials of the handset.

wow us RIM.. please wow us soon.
    For some it is the familiarity that brings people back, the Changes to BBOS6 from BBOS5 were just refreshing enough, the ability to remove some of those changes with BBOS7 from BBOS6 to make it more OS5 like (removal of tabs) is a very welcome change.

The Hobbyist wants to see dramatic changes, the Core user does not, Look at Windows From Windows 95 to Windows 7 very little has changed in how the look and feel are, Mac OSX over the last (9 years?) has again remained very much the same, now iOS follows the same rule,
    You don't change your OS look and feel dramatically, if you want the change you look to Themes, or you look to an Android device as it is still so new there is very little legacy requirements AND there are many looks and feels.

RIM has brought us the changes we needed, a quick well rendering browser, fast hardware to remove much of the lag, integrated applications, They are very much on the right track, AND I really hope that if I am to pick up a BlackBerry in 2014 and compare the look of the OS to that of a BlackBerry in 2008, it will be very very apparent they are the same Brand of device.
    08-29-11 10:38 AM
    I have two lines; 1 BB, 1 Iphone. I love to hate them equally, depends on the day.
    08-29-11 11:48 AM
    Planet called Crackberry and country called 99xx, so what you doing in my town btw
    lmao great points.
    Its my old hometown as seen by post count. I like to visit every so often to read incredible post like yours
    Now what planet are you really from
    08-29-11 12:54 PM

Case in point, traditionally, most attorneys had Blackberrys. Now I am the only one left at my firm; the rest have Droids and iPhones. Mind you, 9 out of 11 of them had Blackberrys 3 years ago. The trouble is that Blackberrys are no longer even competitive in the business world, unless you have BES which, let's face it, is definitely on the wane. A Blackberry is quite simply a Jack of all trades, master of none. It excels neither at work nor at home. RIM has definitely contributed to this; they are so eager to maintain or push BES that they have ignored some of the needs of corporate consumers, most of who rely almost exclusively on Microsoft Outlook and associated programs for their daily activities.

And yet, I have purchased the 9930, with some definite buyer's remorse.
    I was recently at a tax conference with some 250 attendees most of whom were from the Big 4 accounting firms. I would say approximately 80-90% were still using BB which really surprised me as I thought most people would have changed over to other platforms. These were the newer devices as well e.g. 9780 + 9800 meaning that they were not older units still deemed usable by their firms. I'm from a 20 person firm but I'm the sole BB user.

I think the writing is on the wall for RIM unless they can innovate. Their problem is that they likely left it too long to attempt to be competitive and now they've lost too much market share to recover without innovation. I'm speculating of course.

I love the simplicity and communication of the 9900 having used the Captivate for some time in between other BB products.
    Last edited by mhw100; 08-29-11 at 01:18 PM.
    08-29-11 01:07 PM
    I was recently at a tax conference with some 250 attendees most of whom were from the Big 4 accounting firms. I would say approximately 80-90% were still using BB which really surprised me as I thought most people would have changed over to other platforms. These were the newer devices as well e.g. 9780 + 9800 meaning that they were not older units still deemed usable by their firms. I'm from a 20 person firm but I'm the sole BB user.

I think the writing is on the wall for RIM unless they can innovate. Their problem is that they likely left it too long to attempt to be competitive and now they've lost too much market share to recover without innovation. I'm speculating of course.

I love the simplicity and communication of the 9900 having used the Captivate for some time in between other BB products.
    That is indeed a real surprise. I don't know anyone; friend or acquaintance that shares my liking for Blackberrys.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 08-29-11 at 05:13 PM.
    08-29-11 04:11 PM

08-29-11 05:04 PM
    @ Barredbard - I agree with you 100% what you posted regarding useful apps on other platforms. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing yet another company or organization that releases an app "available for the iPhone and coming soon to Android!" with no mention of the BlackBerry - because they aren't going to make one. Just one example: I've joined Weight Watchers to lose some of my tonnage and of course they have a wonderful, free iPhone app to log in what you eat and exercise, but BlackBerry users are relegated to their mobile website with an awful interface that never works correctly.

That said, I didn't gravitate to Blackberry because of the apps, I just like how they work with Outlook. To that end, I'm confused about you saying your BB only links to your Outlook email. If set up correctly, it will link to your contact list, calendar, memo pad and task list - along with your email of course. No it won't link with saved email folders, outbox, etc., but it's not as sparse as you say. Maybe I'm missing something.

The other reason I like my BB is because of it's linkage with my PlayBook. That is my "escape from life" and although it doesn't get Netflix, there is a fantastic EPIX application (believe it or not - a dedicated app just like an iPad) that I get free movies on (liked with my cable service). Of course it too doesn't have the apps the competitors do which also pisses me off.
    08-29-11 08:58 PM
    Just like apple would have done: revisite UI for each of its phone / OS.
    hum hum.
    LOL they are even worse that BB on this level.
    08-29-11 09:11 PM
    lmao great points.
    Its my old hometown as seen by post count. I like to visit every so often to read incredible post like yours
    Now what planet are you really from
    hey buddy +1 good reply....

when i post that you can customize BB more then can be done on Android phones or iPhone i was meaning that all those themes available (paid and free), also a wallpapers. Can you do that with Android Phone, or iPhone ?
    08-29-11 09:44 PM

I'm a partner at a major accounting firm and will confirm that BB still dominates. Most of my financial sector clients (e.g. capital management, hedge funds) are also almost entirely BB. Tech based VCs have a lot of iOS, and the younger associates and seniors are using Android more and more. We're pretty tied down for security reasons and can't use things like Skype and most IM apps on our laptops anyway, so when communicating on our phones we keep it consistent.

mhw100 likes this.
    08-29-11 11:37 PM
    I'm a partner at a major accounting firm and will confirm that BB still dominates. Most of my financial sector clients (e.g. capital management, hedge funds) are also almost entirely BB. Tech based VCs have a lot of iOS, and the younger associates and seniors are using Android more and more. We're pretty tied down for security reasons and can't use things like Skype and most IM apps on our laptops anyway, so when communicating on our phones we keep it consistent.

That was pretty much the answer I got from speaking with colleagues at the conference. The general business trend seems to be migrating away from BB as security concerns are handled. As I said, I'm the loner in the office with a BB and I don't think I've seen any clients with a BB recently. Interestingly most our clients handle very private information which their IT people indicate is "safe" on iOS.

As a communication business tool I believe that the 9900 is excellent device and for me is much easier to work with than Android. I can't speak for iOS because I've never used one. The reality is that if I want to Skype, watch a movie or edit a large spreadsheet I'm not going to, nor would I ever want to, do it on a relatively small 4.5" Samsung screen. I'm going to do that on a lap/desktop or at home. That leaves messaging and phone work to the 9900 which again, for me, does it better.
    Last edited by mhw100; 08-30-11 at 01:11 AM.
    bobj66 likes this.
    08-30-11 01:08 AM
    hey buddy +1 good reply....
    Thanks But this one will be better

when i post that you can customize BB more then can be done on Android phones or iPhone i was meaning that all those themes available (paid and free), also a wallpapers. Can you do that with Android Phone, or iPhone ?
    I'm not sure about iphone themes/paper but surly can state without a doubt that Android blows BB away.
    Android gives user choice of many home screens....7 of them that can be organized in certain order with HTC sense widgets galore.
    Same is the case for apps by the name of 'Fancy widgets' & beautiful widget , their compatible with all android devices.
    Wallpaper galore on BB & Android its hard to calculate who has more on a certain day but the key is resolution paper displays.
    Android mid to upper tear devices resolution bury blackberry...same is the case with custom theme availability.

Bottom line.
    You can make Android anything you want BB puts a chain on ya.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 08-30-11 at 11:17 AM.
    08-30-11 11:14 AM
    [QUOTE=Slingbox;6630686]Thanks But this one will be better

I'm not sure about iphone themes/paper but surly can state without a doubt that Android blows BB away.
    Android gives user choice of many home screens....7 of them that can be organized in certain order with HTC sense widgets galore.
    Same is the case for apps by the name of 'Fancy widgets' & beautiful widget , their compatible with all android devices.
    Wallpaper galore on BB & Android its hard to calculate who has more on a certain day but the key is resolution paper displays.
    Android mid to upper tear devices resolution bury blackberry...same is the case with custom theme availability.

Bottom line.
    You can make Android anything you want BB puts a chain on ya.

i see, but I'm still in love with BB
    08-30-11 08:39 PM
    i see, but I'm still in love with BB
    I still have love for them.....keyboard especially!
    Just wish Rim would step up blow the roof off compete with Android.
    If they kept camera auto focus and Battery performance at Previous Bold level I would of started second line made purchase.
    Hopefully next version can provide for my needs.
    08-31-11 11:48 AM
95 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD