Here is a suggestions for RIMs next flagship device. Maybe if they put something like this out we wouldnt here the old, "they need to change the UI" mantra anymore. Man that gets old. Go get a different device and stop crying about it already.

08-26-11 06:39 AM
    Personally I think that the 9900 is a great phone and really find it hard to fault at all.

The interface is good and very responsive. I can't really see it being improved that much so why look to fix something that isn't broken? As an ex android (galaxy s) and iPhone (3GS) user I must say that the interface on the bold 9900 beats them both. The track pad, qwerty keypad and ultra responsive multi touch screen is a superb combination which the others can only dream of matching and the phone brings together all my emails, texts social networking and IM's effortlessly.

The screens can be well customised and they always provide good access to the important data when you needs it.

On top of that the 4 face buttons provide good access to the phone features and contacts and also the phone's menus.

Sure the BB doesn't have the apps that the iPhone or even android devices have but personally I want my phone to excel at being a communicator and I use my iPad for apps etc. as that is much better than using them on a small screen. To be honest there isn't a personal communicating device that can rival the BB Bold 9900 IMO.
    08-26-11 08:08 AM
    and to think, you just topped it. its clear that this chase check deposit app is the most popular app on the market that everyoine needs. dude, this phone is not for you.... move on.

i have pocket informant on my itouch, droid charge and blackberry. It works great on the BB. you clearly want a full screen. again, move on.

and i was speaking to all the duplicate apps that ALL smartphones have, including blackberries. just because a phone has access to two million apps, doesn't make the phone anymore productive.

the only real problem with apps for this phone is not enough developers have made them compatiable with OS7
    That's a pretty big problem isn't it lol?
    08-26-11 09:21 AM
    I feel so torn inside.....as has become normal for BB.. another new device..yet it feels the same.

Yes it looks good, wonderful keyboard, good having the touch screen, faster.... but unfortunatley its still the same.. sigh.....the same boring interface that goes back how many years? Yes some will argue that the iphone has had the same interface for years as well, and yes thats correct even though I'm not a huge fan of ios either, at least you can do a lot more with it.

+1 to rim for FINALLY improving the build quality and materials of the handset.

wow us RIM.. please wow us soon.
    funny you say that, cuz I know a few guys from my work who are whining the same about the iphone, and they're hoping the iphone5 doesn't come with the same boring interface that goes back how many years....really, what are you really expecting? Have you seen the Android interface? It's practically the same across the board amongst all the different manufacturers...

I've had an ipod touch since the first generation and every time a new generation comes out, I replace the previous, and it's been the SAME OLD BORING interface since gen1, but the technology in it has advanced through the years....at least with the blackberry, the interface actually got updated with the new OS6+...

to really appreciate the Blackberry, you really need to go out and try other O/S'...when I had my Curve, after a bit, I got bored and went with the Palm Pilot 800w that had just come out...after 3 months with the Palm Pilot, I missed the quality of the Blackberry and went back to another Curve...after awhile with that Curve, I got bored again and wanted the Palm Pre that was coming out in 6 months...I waited and waited, and waited in line at 7AM the day it came out just so I can be the first to have it....after 12 days, I started missing everything about my Blackberry, and went back AGAIN....then I upgraded to the Tour when the Tour came out....and then Sprint announced they were coming out with a 4G HTC Evo....oooh, right then and there, I knew I had to have that phone and that the Blackberry was so boring already....same thing, I got the Evo and, just like before, I returned it after 7 days....my reasoning to everyone who asked "it just wasn't a Blackberry" and I wasn't joking or making an excuse...the real reason why I went back to the Blackberry was because there was nothing like it then, and there's nothing like it NOW...I've often found myself getting bored with my Bold 9650, but when I look around, there's no other O/S I'd want to try...the closest one that could come close to me switch to would have been the Web O/S, but now they're dead....so I'm stuck with my Blackberry until the next Blackberry can take it's place....

bottom line is, go try another O/S, and when you come back to the Blackberry, you will appreciate it more...I did, each and every time....that's why I know I have an addiction, and it's my crackberry...
    tkong likes this.
    08-27-11 12:10 AM
    I've always been a techie, I always wanted and always had to have the latest and greatest technology...trust me I want 4G, I want 4G BAD....but because it's not in a Blackberry, I sacrifice that for the sake of crackberry...
    08-27-11 12:12 AM
    Its no way around it. just admit if a normal person look at a 9810 and 9800 you wouldn't even tell the difference with UI, Spec wise yes. same with a 9700 vs 9900
    same with the original bold 9000.. a normal person is going to say "all RIM did was made it thin, sexier and added a trackpad n spec upgrade"

all RIM did was change some icons.. and a few other things.. overall it was a big under the hood upgrade.. but UI stayed the same.. but i must admit it is cleaner/smooth feeling then os 5 and 6..

to be honest i would't even compare a iPhone to a Blackberry.. its like comparing a child to a business person
    08-27-11 01:35 AM
    I find the notion of my phone truncating my emails downright offensive.

Just by the by.
    08-27-11 03:36 AM
    Not sure I can agree with the OP. Coming from a Storm on OS5 to OS7 has been a welcome upgrade.
    08-27-11 06:26 AM
    Not sure I can agree with the OP. Coming from a Storm on OS5 to OS7 has been a welcome upgrade.
    I think I'll feel the same way when I can get a new one coming from a tour.
    08-27-11 06:28 AM
    then why are you on the 9930 thread if the phone is not for you? we are not talking about the torch. you are lost.
    REALLY? Darn thanks for clearing that up for me. Can you inbox me a list of threads I'm allowed to post in. I didn't get that list when I signed up.

Please and Thanks.
    08-28-11 12:16 PM
    I purchased the iP4 for my wife because she thought she wanted it. She tried it and actually hated it because she couldn't type on the screen with her nails, and she couldn't get use to the phone because if her nails, coming from a 9700, she ended up ditching the iP4 and got a 9800. I'm just letting you know from my wife's experience with long nails.
    Oh I didn't think for one second that all women have this issue. I was simply pointing out why some would prefer a touchscreen.

I have one friend who loves her bb, and somehow manages to comfortably type with the tips of her nails. Personally it doesn't work for me.

Glad your wife has mastered it though...
    08-28-11 12:22 PM
    I think everyone just needs to do their homework before they buy a new device so they know exactly what to expect when they take it home. I mean, I didn't have super high expectations of this device or any OS7. I am expecting major things from the QNX phones, though. Read the reviews that Kevin and the major tech blogs put out, go to the store and play around with the phone before you decide on it. That way you can decide if it fits you or not, and if it's worth it. I don't know. The 99XX seems like a great device to me, but, like the OP pointed out, it's not revolutionary. I didn't expect to be, though. Best thing to do is just do a bit of research first.
    08-28-11 12:36 PM
    I couldn't agree more with the OP. If not for a little problem connecting with my calls, I would have stuck with the Photon 4G. I can no longer dismiss the Droids by declaring that I don't care about "all those fancy apps." Even as a professional, I found that other Operating Systems have not only caught up with Blackberrys even in the business world; they have surpassed them.

The Photon 4G allowed me to literally sync with my Outlook at my job. Battery life was spectacular. In the non-business world, there is just no comparison. There's something to be said for being able to comfortably watch Netflix and being able to program my DVR from the office with my phone. None of these things are possible on my Blackberry.

I have been loyal to RIM, but ultimately, such loyalty is silly. I have no vested interest; I am no shareholder of theirs. A Blackberry was my first smartphone, and I've felt beholden to them since. But I find that I am growing more and more restless. I do hope to see them get with the times, but it is seeming less and less likely.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 08-28-11 at 02:47 PM.
    Chrisy, anon3396357 and Slingbox like this.
    08-28-11 02:44 PM
    This will be hard to imagine but let's say you bought a 9900 phone without being a member of Crackberry or any other forum for that matter. Would you have as high an expectation for this device? Would you know of all the problems other people are having or success they have and expect it to be the same?

We are our worst enemy here. We built this phone up for a year now by just waiting and waiting and waiting. Each delay brought more threads on here. It got so bad on these forums that I believe some people actually believed this phone would give them better gas mileage for their car. Then complained because it didn't.

The point I am trying to make is this phone is really a good phone. Judge this phone by using it, not what these boards tell you and I believe you will see that.
    08-28-11 03:29 PM
    The 9930 is the most technologically advanced phone ever released.
    08-28-11 03:31 PM
    This will be hard to imagine but let's say you bought a 9900 phone without being a member of Crackberry or any other forum for that matter. Would you have as high an expectation for this device? Would you know of all the problems other people are having or success they have and expect it to be the same?

We are our worst enemy here. We built this phone up for a year now by just waiting and waiting and waiting. Each delay brought more threads on here. It got so bad on these forums that I believe some people actually believed this phone would give them better gas mileage for their car. Then complained because it didn't.

The point I am trying to make is this phone is really a good phone. Judge this phone by using it, not what these boards tell you and I believe you will see that.
    Actually, I was so disillusioned by the Bold 9650 that I stopped participating in the Forums for most of the past year. I had upgraded from the horrible Tour 9630 which was basically the same phone that I was replacing it with, plus WIFI, a bit more memory and the trackpad. I knew that the Bold 9930 was coming out, and I hoped that it would be something better than what we've hitherto seen. It isn't the hype that disillusioned me; it is the realization that RIM appears to have insulated itself from the needs of its consumers.

Case in point, traditionally, most attorneys had Blackberrys. Now I am the only one left at my firm; the rest have Droids and iPhones. Mind you, 9 out of 11 of them had Blackberrys 3 years ago. The trouble is that Blackberrys are no longer even competitive in the business world, unless you have BES which, let's face it, is definitely on the wane. A Blackberry is quite simply a Jack of all trades, master of none. It excels neither at work nor at home. RIM has definitely contributed to this; they are so eager to maintain or push BES that they have ignored some of the needs of corporate consumers, most of who rely almost exclusively on Microsoft Outlook and associated programs for their daily activities.

And yet, I have purchased the 9930, with some definite buyer's remorse.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 08-28-11 at 04:08 PM.
    vrs626 and Slingbox like this.
    08-28-11 03:50 PM
    I think everyone just needs to do their homework before they buy a new device so they know exactly what to expect when they take it home. I mean, I didn't have super high expectations of this device or any OS7. I am expecting major things from the QNX phones, though. Read the reviews that Kevin and the major tech blogs put out, go to the store and play around with the phone before you decide on it. That way you can decide if it fits you or not, and if it's worth it. I don't know. The 99XX seems like a great device to me, but, like the OP pointed out, it's not revolutionary. I didn't expect to be, though. Best thing to do is just do a bit of research first.
    +1 ...well said.

What makes blackberry to be a blackberry is its OS and what makes it to be great is you can customize it the way you like, that's you can't do with iOS or androids
    08-28-11 04:01 PM
    I've been saying these things for 2 years now and I'm branded a trollolol.

RIM has failed, yes.

But they have a base of customers still and that base will get snapped up for around $10 to $20 billion in the next 3 years.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-11 04:24 PM
    Actually, I was so disillusioned by the Bold 9650 that I stopped participating in the Forums for most of the past year. I had upgraded from the horrible Tour 9630 which was basically the same phone that I was replacing it with, plus WIFI, a bit more memory and the trackpad. I knew that the Bold 9930 was coming out, and I hoped that it would be something better than what we've hitherto seen. It isn't the hype that disillusioned me; it is the realization that RIM appears to have insulated itself from the needs of its consumers.

Case in point, traditionally, most attorneys had Blackberrys. Now I am the only one left at my firm; the rest have Droids and iPhones. Mind you, 9 out of 11 of them had Blackberrys 3 years ago. The trouble is that Blackberrys are no longer even competitive in the business world, unless you have BES which, let's face it, is definitely on the wane. A Blackberry is quite simply a Jack of all trades, master of none. It excels neither at work nor at home. RIM has definitely contributed to this; they are so eager to maintain or push BES that they have ignored some of the needs of corporate consumers, most of who rely almost exclusively on Microsoft Outlook and associated programs for their daily activities.

And yet, I have purchased the 9930, with some definite buyer's remorse.
    This is exactly the point I am making. For you to say you are the only person left out of 11 to still use a Blackberry does nothing but feed negativity. Some people on here would read that and think Blackberries are a thing of the past.Then they repeat what you wrote getting other people to buy into your way of thinking.

For all we know, your friends decided to leave Blackberry because they wanted to play Angry Birds. This doesn't make the device bad. Now if you told us what this Blackberry phone does not do that you need in your profession, it would make make your post informative. Then we have actual facts we could base an intelligent decision on.

I am not trying to attack you, I am just saying instead of people making blanket statements on here, it would be better to give us reasons. In your post, I am more interested in finding out how an Iphone makes you a better lawyer.
    08-28-11 07:12 PM
    This is exactly the point I am making. For you to say you are the only person left out of 11 to still use a Blackberry does nothing but feed negativity. Some people on here would read that and think Blackberries are a thing of the past.Then they repeat what you wrote getting other people to buy into your way of thinking.

For all we know, your friends decided to leave Blackberry because they wanted to play Angry Birds. This doesn't make the device bad. Now if you told us what this Blackberry phone does not do that you need in your profession, it would make make your post informative. Then we have actual facts we could base an intelligent decision on.

I am not trying to attack you, I am just saying instead of people making blanket statements on here, it would be better to give us reasons. In your post, I am more interested in finding out how an Iphone makes you a better lawyer.
    I'm a lawyer that works in government relations and I've noticed the same thing. More firms are letting their employees switch to iPhones or Android devices.
    08-28-11 07:29 PM
    +1 ...well said.

What makes blackberry to be a blackberry is its OS and what makes it to be great is you can customize it the way you like, that's you can't do with iOS or androids
    Android is probably the most customizable device out now. Followed by Windows, then BlackBerry then iPhone.

Jailbroken iPhone moves to second in list, second. Rooted Android way ahead.
    08-28-11 07:39 PM
    +1 ...well said.

What planet do you live on?
    08-28-11 08:08 PM
    IMO, os7 is like OSX's leopard to snow leopard.

hardening an already hardened rock.

if you want eye candy, go ios/android =)
    08-28-11 09:11 PM

Feed the negativity? That's the last thing I want to do; I have already mentioned that I bought the 9930. I would like nothing better than to declare that it is my every dream come true. But it is not; not even close. My statements are backed by facts. I thought I gave reasons. Here are a few.

Probably the most important one is that my office uses Microsoft Outlook. With a Blackberry, after much difficulty, you can set up your work e-mail with Outlook. This allows you only to access your inbox. With a Droid - specifically the Photon 4g - there was a 'corporate sync' feature. This feature is exactly as it sounds; it synchronizes the user with all the information available on Outlook. I could access not just my inbox, but subfolders, my outbox, etc. I could e-mail anyone connected to our network at work by typing in their name. I was automatically synced wth my work calendar. This is a really big deal for me.

Here's another reason: We were in court, and opposing counsel cited a case that we thought was bogus during a trial. So during the break, co-counsel and I wanted to research the case before the court reconvened. I pulled out my phone and attempted to pull up the case on our research database. My browser tried to connected then stalled again and again. My co-counsel whips out his HTC Evo, and in less than a minute, we were reading the case. Good thing too, because the case did not stand for opposing counsel's proposition.

Here's another: while waiting at the airport for my flight to the UK, I signed into my Netflix account and took my mind off my recent breakup with my girlfriend by watching a movie. I supplemented that with watching clips from Youtube; Drioids actually have the application, not just a shortcut. When I arrived in the UK, I realized that I had forgotten to record my favorite show: Real Time on HBO with Bill Maher. Not to worry, AT&T Uverse - my cable carrier - has a DVR programmer application for the Droid, and I set it to record.

Here's another: I work 8 to 7 typically, and don't usually have time to stop at the bank. Not to worry, my bank - Citizens Bank - has an app for Droid for that purpose. There are advantages to having so many apps for the Droid. I downloaded free apps for the U.S. Constitution and the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure; all tools of the trade. With the Droid's speech to text feature, while driving, I can press a button and say "text Katrina." A screen will pop up, and I will press the button again, dictate my text, and hit send. Katrina would have my text in seconds, all without my typing any words. All my favorite news stations: CNN and MSNBC have dedicated apps for Droids, replete with videos. Oh, and the ability to video conference with the double cameras is not to be seen with contempt either.

These are just a few reasons that I can come up with on the fly. I could list more if I sat back to reflect on it more.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 08-29-11 at 03:56 AM.
    anon3396357 and lssanjose like this.
    08-29-11 12:30 AM
    The Blackberry has always has a strong selection of themes to choose from to change up the feel and look of the OS. While apple also has this option you have to hack your phone to do so. I'll take BB GUI over Iphones stock GUI anyday. It's very bland and boring. I love the 9900, the speed, feel, build quality, new browser speed and the keyboard is the best every for a phone. Can't say enought good things for it. I like to buy themes also so am anxious for developers to start putting some nice ones out. I have a Iphone 4 as well as a Torch 9810. I've owned all the key andriod phones that have come out as well. The Blackberry has almost always been the phone that i hold in my hand and use 90pct of the time. I will be getting an Iphone 5 but i'm certain after a day or two i'l be right back to using my 9900 full time. This really is the phone to get these days if your looking for the best overall usage experience.
    08-29-11 02:23 AM
95 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD