04-21-11 04:08 PM
34 12
tools
    Im still laughing at the "pause" moment...But I think it appears this 9900 will be the ticket!
    Lmao, I completely agree though. It is one of those tickets that dont come across very often. (the golden ticket) After getting this phone, I will be more than happy with life as a whole even though I am currently stressed about 150 things. I will pay $600 easily right now if I could have this phone :P
    04-18-11 10:03 PM
    I have a feeling you work for RIM...do you?
    Being an avid Blackberry Bold 9000 fan, I STILL use the Bold 9000. I text a lot so I need it's keyboard. No BlackBerry compares to it's keyboard... yet.

And hearing what Cuthbert said, it is not the first time I heard that, so I wouldn't say he is or isn't working for RIM.

That said, no keyboard compares to the 9000. The OP has the luxury of owning the Bold 9650, which IMO has the closest keyboard to the 9000 than any other Bold.

I will tell you this though, the Bold Touch, if it has those angled ridges for better typing, and it has the 9000 keyboard, finally makes a statement that there may be a better keyboard out there than the 9000. It is about time. I find it weird how many say it was the best, so why did it take so long for RIM to make another with at least the same keyboard . Oh well, I am glad the day is almost here, because I have waited for the true successor of the 9000 for a long time.
    04-19-11 09:13 AM
    . I find it weird how many say it was the best, so why did it take so long for RIM to make another with at least the same keyboard . Oh well, I am glad the day is almost here, because I have waited for the true successor of the 9000 for a long time.
    When the 9000 had it's run, you heard MANY users here complaining it was too big, everyone wanted something smaller. Then when RIM went that way, everyone screamed that they missed the 9000 keyboard! Can't please everyone I guess!
    04-19-11 07:56 PM
    ^yep some users prefer the 9700 series route.that is why they will be staying on their devices until qnx phones arrive.
    04-19-11 08:30 PM
    When the 9000 had it's run, you heard MANY users here complaining it was too big, everyone wanted something smaller. Then when RIM went that way, everyone screamed that they missed the 9000 keyboard! Can't please everyone I guess!
    My thumbs are too fat and soft (I'm not fat and soft but I've got sausage fingers) for the 9700 keyboard, so I'm extremely relieved that the Bold Touch is going to have the full size one. That's a huge thing for me.
    04-20-11 09:15 AM
    True but there will always be someone criticizing something about every phone. I have never liked the 9700 at all. I am not a big guy at all and thought the 9700 was too small. I used to think the curve 83xx had the best keyboard until they came out with the Bold 9000. For me, the Bold 9000 is the greatest keyboard on a phone to date. I am sure, from what I am hearing, the Bold Touch surpasses it, so I can't wait.
    04-20-11 11:50 PM
    Some of us can't quite understand why RIM finds it impossible to put the same technology in two different outer shells. Sure, there are people who want an itsy bitsy teeny weeny mobile device because they think it's cool and don't care if the keyboard is too small to type anything more complex than "c u l8r" and the screen is too small too see much of anything. But in the world of adults who are buying devices with QWERTY keyboards, there are also a LOT of people who need to type and read multiparagraph messages many times a day and who are in their 40s and beyond and can't see as well as they did back when they were in high school and college. RIM would do well to keep in mind that many of the senior executives at large companies are in the latter category and also have the final sign-off authority on things like dumping Blackberry and spending many millions to roll out a replacement.

Yes, I really do still use a 7290. I've looked into upgrading several times, and every time I just dropped the idea because all the newer models were smaller, and after a while I just stopped checking. This week I thought I was finally going to be forced to "upgrade" because my trusty 7290 started having phone problems with people not being able to hear me even though I could hear them fine. Got a Curve 3G free from AT&T yesterday because they're out of stock on the almost-big-enough Bold 9000. I put the itsy bitsy teeny weeny Curve back in the mail to them today, since it would obviously be useless for serious typing or reading.

Now I seem to have fixed the voice problem on my 7290 with a shot of compressed air and toothpick/tissue/acetone cleanout of the headset jack, which was apparently imagining it had a headset plugged into it and sporadically cutting off my mic. I could go shell out $150 on eBay for a 9000, but I think I'll just keep waiting. Maybe the 9900 is for real and will show up before I completely give up on Blackberry.
    04-21-11 02:38 PM
    Some of us can't quite understand why RIM finds it impossible to put the same technology in two different outer shells. Sure, there are people who want an itsy bitsy teeny weeny mobile device because they think it's cool and don't care if the keyboard is too small to type anything more complex than "c u l8r" and the screen is too small too see much of anything. But in the world of adults who are buying devices with QWERTY keyboards, there are also a LOT of people who need to type and read multiparagraph messages many times a day and who are in their 40s and beyond and can't see as well as they did back when they were in high school and college. RIM would do well to keep in mind that many of the senior executives at large companies are in the latter category and also have the final sign-off authority on things like dumping Blackberry and spending many millions to roll out a replacement.

Yes, I really do still use a 7290. I've looked into upgrading several times, and every time I just dropped the idea because all the newer models were smaller, and after a while I just stopped checking. This week I thought I was finally going to be forced to "upgrade" because my trusty 7290 started having phone problems with people not being able to hear me even though I could hear them fine. Got a Curve 3G free from AT&T yesterday because they're out of stock on the almost-big-enough Bold 9000. I put the itsy bitsy teeny weeny Curve back in the mail to them today, since it would obviously be useless for serious typing or reading.

Now I seem to have fixed the voice problem on my 7290 with a shot of compressed air and toothpick/tissue/acetone cleanout of the headset jack, which was apparently imagining it had a headset plugged into it and sporadically cutting off my mic. I could go shell out $150 on eBay for a 9000, but I think I'll just keep waiting. Maybe the 9900 is for real and will show up before I completely give up on Blackberry.
    Yes I totally understand what you mean. The 7290 was a great phone. What some tend to forget, for some, it's all about productivity and getting things done. These big phones, might be a bit bigger, but helps especially for business.
    04-21-11 03:09 PM
    The 7290 was a great phone.
    Hmmmph! It IS a great phone/e-mail device.

What some tend to forget, for some, it's all about productivity and getting things done.
    I can certainly understand individual users forgetting that, but it's a pretty big thing for RIM to forget, seeing as how their main claim to fame in the marketplace is their business enterprise platform. Business executives who make firmwide technology decisions for thousands of employees are generally pretty focused on productivity and getting things done. A device that is too tiny to use productively, but yet is loaded with recreational features and "apps", is likely to make said executives think "my teenage kids would love this but no way would it be useful for me or my employees". And it's pretty hard to make a case that productive employees -- even young tech-oriented ones with great eyesight -- need mobile devices that fit comfortably in the pocket of an adolescent girl's size 2 low-rider jeans.

I got a good laugh out of a post on another thread, where a guy was lamenting the recent demise of his small-model Blackberry -- it had taken a ride through the washer AND the dryer in the pocket of his pants. I don't expect anybody ever did that with a 7290!
    04-21-11 04:08 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD