11-30-11 04:52 PM
65 123
tools
    I currently have a iPhone 4, can't wait to rid my self of it. Searching around for a new phone, currently thinking between Android and a BlackBerry. I have previously owned an original Palm Pre, BlackBerry 9700, up to my current iPhone 4. I'd really like a physical keyboard, which has me swinging towards the 9900. Dont really use too many apps, I use my phone to communicate (text/email) and surf the web essentially. But I come on the forums and read a lot of people saying that they aren't having the greatest experience with their 9900. So is anyone out there happy with theirs? Anyone's running 100% with no issues? I'm a Canadian so I'd love to support a Canadian company, and I did really enjoy my BlackBerry 9700.

Thank you in advance.
    11-23-11 09:31 PM
    I am happy with it. But there are issues with this Bold 9900, which I have not experienced yet. You may want to read around the crackberry forums. I have a Telus Bold 9900 with original stock version of the OS even though I am a kind of person who install every leaked OS.

RIM said that dead Bold 9900 issues were cause by their new OS versions. If this is true, then Bold 9900 is a great phone! I love it and I got it purely for the larger keyboard compared to my old Bold 9700.
    11-23-11 09:35 PM
    I'm extremely happy with my 9930. Really the only thing bad is apps. Although there's not a huge selection you still get all the most important apps: facebook, twitter, foursquare, and banking apps. If your big on games I wouldn't recommend the phone. Other than that its great! Love the keyboard!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-23-11 09:36 PM
    Mine is running with no issues. I did have the 'nuked' Blackberry issue, but got a quick replacement and everything is running perfectly.

I think the 9900 will fit your needs perfectly if you are looking for a communication device that can serf the web well (yes, I personally really like the browser, its just obviously a smaller screen than an android) and want a just a few good apps.
    11-23-11 09:37 PM
    The keyboard is great. Don't expect to be able to surf the web on it like the iPhone 4 though. It ain't happening. Hopefully, you'll buy one that won't brick itself. No way of telling if or why they are doing it. Bit risky, but hey life's a risk, right? RIM may well have a fix for it scheduled to come out anytime soon.
    11-23-11 09:40 PM
    Best phone. Gave up my iPhone 4 for it.
    Just remember there is also the new Bold 9790 being released. Has everything the 9900 has (touchscreen, OS7) but smaller keyboard similar to the 9700 series. Overall, it is a great phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-11 09:58 PM
    No problems and very happy. We seem to share a pattern of phone use and the 9900 is a communication powerhouse. I have a telus phone made in mexico. There are tons of complaints about it but i don't see it. No battery issues from pretty heavy use. No light leaks etc... and the keyboard...like butter. I can fly on it hammering out emails I would have never bothered with on my 8330.
    11-23-11 10:04 PM
    Love mine. I'm even OK with the battery life!

Only thing I HATE is that there isn't any autofocus on the camera. That's just incredibly lame to not have in this stage of the game.
    rqcraig likes this.
    11-23-11 10:05 PM
    I have an unlocked Rogers 9900 with the stock OS. Not a single issue. This little machine is a communications workhorse. I don't know what kind of apps people are talking about. I'm all set with email with synchronized calendars, messenger services, maps, weather, ssh client, you know, apps that make your life more productive. And when it's paired with a PlayBook it just takes your task management to another level in a secure manner.

Reading about the nuking issues, I'd definitely buy it from an authorized dealer. No risks taken.

EDIT: About the autofocus, well, I found that it could be a problem with small QR codes in low light conditions. Oh well.
    Last edited by thecsman; 11-23-11 at 10:09 PM.
    11-23-11 10:06 PM
    Absolutely can't say enough good about it. Best phone I've had in a long while. Came from a Droid X to this.

As with every phone, it does have its problems, that I have yet to experience mind you. But, either there is a complete fix for it, or, RIM has recognized it and is currently working on a fix. There are some extreme cases that require a complete replacement, but they are rather rare.

But, past that, its a bad@$$ phone. The keyboard, the camera, the OS, the overall look... Its amazing.

11-23-11 10:06 PM
    Great all the way around. No issues for 4 months. Mexico 5 9930. I seriously wonder how many issues that others have are self inflicted. The ability to manipulate so many levels of our blackberrys may be a negative for some. Personally this new Bold is everything and more than I could have asked for in a BB!

AlienSlacker and bhill0821 like this.
    11-23-11 10:21 PM
    I am happy with my Bold 9900. It's unbranded, got it for US $670. Updated the OS twice already and running on .503 now. Never gave me any troubles, although I've read around that others have been getting their 9900/9930s bricked. Hopefully mine won't.

I check emails with it, socialize with Facebook & Twitter. Talk with friends thru BBM, YM, SMS. I play games with it when I'm bored. It's the perfect phone for me.

I love my 9900 so much!
    Last edited by adicktuz; 11-23-11 at 11:24 PM.
    11-23-11 10:23 PM
    i love my 9930 .month and a half no issues at all.even updated my os no problems.
    11-23-11 10:38 PM
    I'm with you. My wife returned her Iphone 4s today and is waiting for the 9900 in the mail. She tried it for 2 weeks but prefers BB functionality over the app store.
    11-23-11 10:38 PM
    i am very happy.. it bricked once-battery/sim pull fixed it... its great, responsive, quick, efficient, amazing. i came from the apple family to this, and its amazing. the battery life of the 9930 is a bit on the dark side, but its ok.. hope the software updates come in and fix that
    11-23-11 10:48 PM
    My 9900 is running without any issues. Battery life is great under the 7.0.0.540 os. It was good under 7.0.0.503 too but sucked under the AT&T stock os. Less than 8 hours using it. I'm getting 2 days and some change under the 540 os under normal use. Overall Im very pleased. The phone never bricked and battery life continues to improve. I love my blackberry and my wife is turning in her iPhone this Saturday to get a 9900 too. She has been playing around with mine and got jealous.

She is impressed with the 9900 call quality, keyboard and the feel of the phone.
    Last edited by slyjackson; 11-23-11 at 10:59 PM.
    11-23-11 10:50 PM
    I've had no problems with my 9900. I really am very pleased with this phone. In my opinion, the best BlackBerry yet. It suits my needs perfectly. I do admit that reading about all the 9900s that have bricked makes a bit nervous, but, as I said, great phone.
    11-23-11 10:52 PM
    Love my 9900! It just freakn'' rocks. My iPhone friends are intrigued, but they can get their own!!

Sent from my Blazing BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-23-11 11:22 PM
    like many posting above, i really like the 9900. Of course it depends on what you need. I do a lot of bbms and texts, so the keyboard is key, and it's unbelievably good this keyboard, a pleasure. I think web browsing is good for the size screen, but it is smaller than the full touch screens, so of course the loss of real estate makes surfing suffer.
    Battery life is quite good with the latest software update, can't complain at all.

It all depends on your needs, but it is a rock solid phone, build quality is top-notch.

Good luck!
    11-23-11 11:50 PM
    Love mine. Only downside is the lack of apps, and the usual BBOS quirks (ie. reboot after app upgrade or delete).
    11-24-11 12:15 AM
    My 9930 has been and still is a joy to use. Keyboard of course gets widely praised and deservedly so. I empathize with those that have battery issues, but I have not had any.

I find the web browsing to be on par with any other device after testing side by side with the exception of the 99xx having less screen real estate. But like someone else pointed out, with an all touch device any time you are typing a third or more of the screen is occupied by a virtual keyboard. So from that perspective the 99xx is even still on par.

11-24-11 12:21 AM
    You need to get one.

11-24-11 12:43 AM
    Extremely happy with mine. Rock solid and not so much as a glitch. As someone else posted earlier it makes me wonder how many of the issues people are complaining about are self inflicted.
    11-24-11 01:40 AM
    I am happy with my Bold 9900. It's unbranded, got it for US $670. Updated the OS twice already and running on .503 now. Never gave me any troubles, although I've read around that others have been getting their 9900/9930s bricked. Hopefully mine won't.

I check emails with it, socialize with Facebook & Twitter. Talk with friends thru BBM, YM, SMS. I play games with it when I'm bored. It's the perfect phone for me.

I love my 9900 so much!

I have an ATT 9900 with 503 on it. I get the hour glass a lot. Do you see the same issue on yours. I feel the culprit might be wireless sync.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-24-11 02:07 AM
    Very happy with this device. Keyboard is orgasmic. As for the battery... you gotta play with it. I let it get down real low a couple times followed by full charge then did a few battery pulls. No wis last all freaking day!!
    11-24-11 02:41 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD