I called Rogers tech support in regards to a couple issues with my 9900 mainly battery life and a squeaky trackpad.

I tell them in a typical 8 hours work day I do the following

- 1 hour of music playback
    - Receive a few e-mails, most in 1 day was 4
    - Sporadic browsing at roughly 30 minutes total
    - on EDGE all day
    - Send\receive sms\bbm\whatsapp messages combined at no more than maybe 100-125 (Each time I close whatsapp via menu key so it's not running the background - as per holding BB menu key)
    - Also noted that I have no auto updates for any apps running in the background aside from BeWeather at every 3 hours and am not connected to WiFi or Bluetooth. (they're not even on)

By the end of the work day I'm down to 25%-30% and according to the tech that's normal usage. I think that's a load of bull because my usage seems fairly modest and I've read and heard about better battery life with a heavier use.

I also explained that even on STANDBY it's discharging at 4%-6% extrapolate that and I would only get 16-17 hours of standby far from RIM's spec of 12 days. I added in the fact that it only takes 1.5 to 2 hours to FULLY charge the battery which somehow doesn't seem right.

Once again the tech insists that due to the smaller battery that the battery life isn't as great and that it's normal usage. In the end I got them to send me a replacement...should have just ignored talking about the battery life and let the squeaky track pad be the main focus.

Anyhow I just want to pose a couple questions to CB nation...

1) Based on the usage I gave could that be considered "fair" battery life?
    2) How long roughly does to take to fully charge the battery? I usually charge when it's around 30%-40%

All in all I hope I'm able to get more usage out of the replacement BB9900, my current just doesn't seem right, defective somehow...
    Last edited by Foberry; 09-13-11 at 09:17 PM.
    09-13-11 09:11 PM
    Update to .353
    shankeith likes this.
    09-13-11 09:13 PM

Nope.....I pretty much the same except with more emails and text.....I was at 75% when i came home today at 430.....unplugged since 6AM......

Running stock os btw
    09-13-11 09:14 PM
    I use it about 4x more than you do and I'm at 40% right now and it's 8:20pm. Took it off the charger at 7am. Running .261 with no issues since day one. Wife got a new one yesterday and doesn't use it much and she's at 76% right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-11 09:23 PM
    Damn rogers I knew I wasn't crazy to think that this is in any way reasonable. They gave me so much grief when I tried to explain my situation.
    09-13-11 10:43 PM
    rogers rep varies a lot. the last rep i talked to gave me an incident number to exchange at bestbuy in less than a minute.
    09-14-11 02:16 AM
    Never mind how you use the phone. The primary thing that has to be taken into account is reception or signal strength. If you work in an area with low reception, your battery will get drained.
    09-14-11 03:33 AM
    If you work in an area with low reception, your battery will get drained.
    Yeah to that!

But I also agree that upgrading to OS .353 should fix your problem (it fixed mine). What OS are you running just now?

Oh, and the battery on my Bold 9700 and the 9900 both charge within 2 hours.
    09-14-11 06:47 AM
    I also had about 4% to 6% discharge on idle with moderate usage. But given the time, it improved by itself without me doing anything. I had my 9900 for 15 days now.

Now, I have about 2.5% discharge on idle, and about 5% when i use the phone continuously.
    09-14-11 07:02 AM
    I also had about 4% to 6% discharge on idle with moderate usage. But given the time, it improved by itself without me doing anything. I had my 9900 for 15 days now.

Now, I have about 2.5% discharge on idle, and about 5% when i use the phone continuously.
    What OS are you on? 353?
    09-14-11 08:29 AM
    Rogers is lying. Their newtork isnt updated to handle the H+ status and cause a battery drain.
    09-14-11 08:33 AM
    Very good battery life on H+ with Rogers. Very fast as well
    09-14-11 11:06 AM
    I was running official stock OS 261 for a while, then updated to 353 leaked then official from SK. Now I'm back on 261 for when I have to return this unit.
    OS didn't seem to help the battery life for me.

Haha I realize that 12days standby is not something to aim for, but at the state my battery is...it won't even last me a day on standby. I've followed many of the battery saving tips as well...simply fustrating but a new phone is on its way. Despite the battery issue I'm in love with this phone!

Dealing with rogers for any reason is a PITA especially when you present stats and facts to backup your claim they make it sound as if it's all just the end-user's fault.

09-14-11 11:14 AM
    If I set it on 3G (default) while I move around where the signal is hardly 3G it will drain as fast as **** 8 - 10 hours with moderate use.. If I set it to 3G/2G (default), it will give me 10 - 14 hours.. if I set it on 2G (default) it will give me over 24 hours..

The fact is, the quality of the signal which the operator is providing varies a lot hence where the signal is sub par then the battery is worked to the bone... that's what is causing the drain... bad signal while doing lots of BBM and email or browsing will surely drain your tiny standard 99XX battery...
    Masahiro likes this.
    09-14-11 11:14 AM
    I called Rogers tech support in regards to a couple issues with my 9900 mainly battery life and a squeaky trackpad.

I tell them in a typical 8 hours work day I do the following

- 1 hour of music playback
    - Receive a few e-mails, most in 1 day was 4
    - Sporadic browsing at roughly 30 minutes total
    - on EDGE all day
    - Send\receive sms\bbm\whatsapp messages combined at no more than maybe 100-125 (Each time I close whatsapp via menu key so it's not running the background - as per holding BB menu key)
    - Also noted that I have no auto updates for any apps running in the background aside from BeWeather at every 3 hours and am not connected to WiFi or Bluetooth. (they're not even on)

By the end of the work day I'm down to 25%-30% and according to the tech that's normal usage. I think that's a load of bull because my usage seems fairly modest and I've read and heard about better battery life with a heavier use.

I also explained that even on STANDBY it's discharging at 4%-6% extrapolate that and I would only get 16-17 hours of standby far from RIM's spec of 12 days. I added in the fact that it only takes 1.5 to 2 hours to FULLY charge the battery which somehow doesn't seem right.

Once again the tech insists that due to the smaller battery that the battery life isn't as great and that it's normal usage. In the end I got them to send me a replacement...should have just ignored talking about the battery life and let the squeaky track pad be the main focus.

Anyhow I just want to pose a couple questions to CB nation...

1) Based on the usage I gave could that be considered "fair" battery life?
    2) How long roughly does to take to fully charge the battery? I usually charge when it's around 30%-40%

All in all I hope I'm able to get more usage out of the replacement BB9900, my current just doesn't seem right, defective somehow...

couple things
    - what was your previous blackberry? unlike all blackberries before the 9900 an actual powerful CPU and unlike BB's before it has a GPU and a high resolution touch screen WITH a much smaller battery.

you say "1 hour of music" and "half hour of browsing" which by human nature is most likely an exaggeration as well are you sure your closing the media? media uses a lot more battery life.

weather apps and chat apps kill battery life (bet you run a battery life app too)

if your going from a previous bold to this bold... your going to notice a huge difference.

I myself had the 9700 and 9780 and it is dramatically so I understand and maybe hopefully an update comes along and improves the battery life.

so 8 hours and your at 30%? lol and they replaced your phone? lol man post an update when you get your replacement and use it for a bit lol
    09-14-11 04:36 PM
    I don't know what you are complaining about CS with Rodgers as they replaced your phone in what seems your main gripe was the battery life, not so much the trackpad.

How long did you have the device for? It takes time for batteries to break in and may take a couple weeks to see better results. 30% may be bad in your case due to limited use, but it still had life left in it. I would imagine it would make it through majority of the day.

I would think the only reason they replace the unit was due to the squeaky trackpad, otherwise if it was just the battery I doubt you would have gotten it replaced.

Also there is no way these phones will get the battery life like the old bolds and whatnot. To much in them and due to the design and smaller OEM battery.

I wish I got anywhere near what you got on the so called defective unit. Then again I don't have a BB as my daily driver anymore.

09-14-11 06:38 PM
    I find it inexcusable that people should dumb down their "top of the line" device just to get decent battery life.

Given the disparities though, it does lead one to wonder whether or not this might just actually be a battery issue rather than a device issue as noted by byul above.
    09-14-11 06:44 PM
    I guess he will find out, lol!

09-14-11 06:47 PM
    I have this phone for a little less than 3 weeks, if batteries needed to be broken in it should have already. And breaking in batteries, didn't know that it needed to be...one would assume that it'll just work right out of the box.

Indeed we'll have to see if the replacement's is any better if so, great. If not, I'll buy and carry a spare.

09-14-11 09:33 PM
    arguing with a rep and admitting your getting 8+hrs and 30% left they probably laughed at ya... they probably swapped the phone just cause they didnt want to argue.

the noisy trackpad though would totally be reasonable reason for a replacement
    09-14-11 10:01 PM
    Im on rogers as well, and have the same squeaky trackpad... kinda sux but i live with it, it doesnt bother me enough to get a replacement, that will probably have the same issue.

As far as ur baterry.. it does seem pretty normal. Its a crappy batter to begin with and you said u were on edge all day assuming signal is weak. then im shocked ur geting 8 hrs +. I work on an island where the signal is really weak and barely get 2 bars on edge. my battery lasts about 6 hours with moderate use. When i am at home and get full H+ sinal i can use my phone withou charging at least 14 hours with same amount of usage
    09-14-11 10:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD