I have a couple questions about the sleep or standby mode.
    Is there a way to make the 9930 go into sleep or standby mode without use of a holster with a magnet? The button on the top of the device is only a key lock, right?

Is there a holster with a magnet that will work with the Otterbox Commuter case? Thanks.
    09-13-11 09:47 AM
    Standby mode was removed in OS6 if I'm not mistaken.

You can, however, place the phone into Bedside Mode even if the charger isn't plugged in.
    09-13-11 10:03 AM
    Hold "a" to put it into standby when you're on the home screen, or you can hold the button at the top too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-11 10:47 AM
    Hold "a" to put it into standby when you're on the home screen, or you can hold the button at the top too.

Wrong. Pressing A and pressing the button on the top of the bezel do the same thing - They lock the screen. There is no Standby mode as there was in OS4 and OS5.
    09-13-11 11:02 AM

Yes you can do this but it is more of a lock botton the standby which they DID remove with OS 5 ans OS6
    09-13-11 11:10 AM
    I have a couple questions about the sleep or standby mode.
    Is there a way to make the 9930 go into sleep or standby mode without use of a holster with a magnet? The button on the top of the device is only a key lock, right?

Is there a holster with a magnet that will work with the Otterbox Commuter case? Thanks.
    Read what swishhh wrote you and what I thru in also.
    09-13-11 11:11 AM
    Wrong. Pressing A and pressing the button on the top of the bezel do the same thing - They lock the screen. There is no Standby mode as there was in OS4 and OS5.
    Right.. But locking the screen this way essentially puts the phone into standby mode as well. They combined this feature.

09-13-11 08:29 PM
    Right.. But locking the screen this way essentially puts the phone into standby mode as well. They combined this feature.

OK, so pressing the button on the top to lock the keys really puts the device into standby just like using a holster with a magnet?
    09-14-11 08:31 AM
    I have also added my own magnet into a generic case. Somewhere along the line I was able to remove one from a case. I use a Golla pouch which has a zipper pocket in the back. I just tape the magnet onto a business card at the right place and put it in the zipper pocket.
    I am using this now with my 9900 in a Case Mate Tough case. However the phone just barely fits in the pouch on the sides. I don't think the Commuter would be any bigger.
    Of course I push the button on the top too.
    09-14-11 08:37 AM
    OK, so pressing the button on the top to lock the keys really puts the device into standby just like using a holster with a magnet?
    Yes, try it and get back to me.

09-14-11 04:47 PM
    try setting your profiles, say for example, under bbm alert. set vibration to 'in holster'. then click on the top button to lock your phone.

get another bb to send you a bbm, see if it vibrates. if it is not, then the top button is not the same as holstering.
    09-15-11 03:11 AM
    Otterbox Commuter fits into a 9000 OEM holster and the magnet works. Also should fit an 8700 holster, but not sure about the magnet.

09-15-11 07:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD