Sooo finally giving some love to us Verizon Users.

Bold 9650 came out for us but got instantly upgraded with the 9780 on at&t and the torch only being available on at&t as well, but specs come out showing that the torch 2 only has 512MB of RAM whereas the Bold Touch has 768MB of RAM.

I don't quite get why they did that, but I am happy that they decided to not cut out the bold touch, but rather the torch 2 :P

Thoughts, comments, ideas?
    Yes. Instead of the 9630 Tour, vzw shouldve given us the Bold like ATT.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-11 02:34 PM
    More and more I'm thinking of switching back to a Blackberry device and this may be it, naturally I'll have to wait for it to actually come out before making a final decision. I primarily want the physical keyboard, but also hope the browser is up to snuff with what I currently get on my Droid X. I don't care about games all that much, I have a bunch on my phone now and only play 1 consistently. And I'll be able to get my Kindle books on it. Switching over will be fine for me I think. I've checked what I use mostly and what stuff is available through the App World. The only thing I WISH it had is a front facing camera, just to say I have one haha. If this OS is fast then, I'll be all for the device.
    04-14-11 12:26 PM
    I don't think I will be switching over from what I gather the main features that are better than the 9780 are

Slightly bigger screen
    Touch screen
    720 recording
    9000 bold factor

Don't care for a .4 size in crease in screen since it will be hardly noticeable, touch screen I don't think is worth it on such a small screen. High recording resolution I don't care much about. Never had a bold 9000 so I don't know the greatness of the form factor. Not worth switching over from my 9780 maybe if you have a 8xxx device or a Bold 9000 then it is worth it. Rather wait until the QNX phones come out to see a noticeable difference, a new OS and more value for my money.
    04-14-11 02:29 PM
    I feel like so many people are against this fact, but it wouldn't be in RIMs interest to make the bold touch and the newer phones outdated 7 months off the line by saying "they will not get OS 7"

So many people believe that OS 7 has something to do with QNX, and I believe this too, but why would RIM have even had OS 7 on the mind to come out later this year if only NEWER phones that AREN'T EVEN IN THE MAKING yet can be the only ones to run it.

In my mind, I am 95% sure that OS 7.0 is going to come out to these newer phones. QNX or not (which signs point to atleast a bit of QNX in it) but they can't go and shoot themselves in the foot and be like "oh you just spent $200 and extended your plan for 2 years but sorry guys, the only update you will ever get with the newer phones are OS 6.1 - 6.9. The Bold Touch is what many of us have been waiting for for a WHILE and for them to make you have to upgrade to the "Bold Touch 2" that the only difference is a dual core, but we had just locked ourselves in with the first gen for 2 years just doesn't seem like they would do something like that.

Does anyone else agree with me? Because I simply feel like the ONLY person here the strongly believes that RIM would be shooting themselves in the foot if they aren't planning on allowing 7.0 to be released on these phones. They did wait quite a while to step it up but they finally have and they aren't stupid enough to do something like making the newer phones nothing but a simple "holdoff upgrade".

It is as simple as this, they leaked that 7.0 was in the making for later this year/early next year and guess what.. They probably have an extremely early build of 7.0 that they are currently working on and testing. How does a company test a new OS build on phones that aren't anywhere in the making? Simple, they are testing the OS on the current bold touch/torch2/touch etc.

It just makes no sense when people say "OS 7.0 WILL NOT BE ON THESE PHONES BECAUSE IT IS QNX AND QNX NEEDS DUAL CORE etc." because how are they going to test the OS if they can't do it on one of the phones they have already made. They aren't going to just use a "test phone app" on the computer that can make it seem like they are running the OS on a newer device that has a dual core or anything.. I mean they might, but just cmon guys.. OS 7.0 WILL come out on this generation of phones.. It makes NO SENSE for it not to..
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 04-14-11 at 05:41 PM.
    04-14-11 05:31 PM
    I don't think I will be switching over from what I gather the main features that are better than the 9780 are

Slightly bigger screen
    Touch screen
    720 recording
    9000 bold factor

Don't care for a .4 size in crease in screen since it will be hardly noticeable, touch screen I don't think is worth it on such a small screen. High recording resolution I don't care much about. Never had a bold 9000 so I don't know the greatness of the form factor. Not worth switching over from my 9780 maybe if you have a 8xxx device or a Bold 9000 then it is worth it. Rather wait until the QNX phones come out to see a noticeable difference, a new OS and more value for my money.
    Do not forget to include: a higher-resolution display, a thinner design, OS 6.1, HSDPA+, 50% more RAM, an accelerometer, a magnetometer, 8GB internal flash storage-which can possibly be used to store apps-and a processor that is almost twice as fast at the one in the 9780...
    Last edited by ligh7ning; 04-14-11 at 05:47 PM.
    04-14-11 05:41 PM
    I feel like so many people are against this fact, but it wouldn't be in RIMs interest to make the bold touch and the newer phones outdated 7 months off the line by saying "they will not get OS 7"

So many people believe that OS 7 has something to do with QNX, and I believe this too, but why would RIM have even had OS 7 on the mind to come out later this year if only NEWER phones that AREN'T EVEN IN THE MAKING yet can be the only ones to run it.

In my mind, I am 95% sure that OS 7.0 is going to come out to these newer phones. QNX or not (which signs point to atleast a bit of QNX in it) but they can't go and shoot themselves in the foot and be like "oh you just spent $200 and extended your plan for 2 years but sorry guys, the only update you will ever get with the newer phones are OS 6.1 - 6.9. The Bold Touch is what many of us have been waiting for for a WHILE and for them to make you have to upgrade to the "Bold Touch 2" that the only difference is a dual core, but we had just locked ourselves in with the first gen for 2 years just doesn't seem like they would do something like that.

Does anyone else agree with me? Because I simply feel like the ONLY person here the strongly believes that RIM would be shooting themselves in the foot if they aren't planning on allowing 7.0 to be released on these phones. They did wait quite a while to step it up but they finally have and they aren't stupid enough to do something like making the newer phones nothing but a simple "holdoff upgrade".

It is as simple as this, they leaked that 7.0 was in the making for later this year/early next year and guess what.. They probably have an extremely early build of 7.0 that they are currently working on and testing. How does a company test a new OS build on phones that aren't anywhere in the making? Simple, they are testing the OS on the current bold touch/torch2/touch etc.

It just makes no sense when people say "OS 7.0 WILL NOT BE ON THESE PHONES BECAUSE IT IS QNX AND QNX NEEDS DUAL CORE etc." because how are they going to test the OS if they can't do it on one of the phones they have already made. They aren't going to just use a "test phone app" on the computer that can make it seem like they are running the OS on a newer device that has a dual core or anything.. I mean they might, but just cmon guys.. OS 7.0 WILL come out on this generation of phones.. It makes NO SENSE for it not to..
    Interesting comments. It is hard to speculate what approach RIM will take regarding single-core handsets when OS 7 is launched. They may create an OS 7 lite for or just upgrade 6.1 to 6.2, etc. Knowing RIM, though, OS 7's release date is probably further away than originally anticipated...
    Last edited by ligh7ning; 04-14-11 at 06:09 PM.
    04-14-11 06:03 PM
    Interesting comments. It is hard to speculate what approach RIM will take regarding single-core handsets when OS 7 is launched. They may create an OS 7 lite for or just upgrade 6.1 to 6.2, etc. Knowing RIM, though, OS 7's release date is probably further off than originally anticipated...
    But you say "knowing RIM" and ****, if we went with that theory.. These upgraded phones wouldn't be coming out for another year. They are really trying to get their **** together now, they aren't playing games anymore. I really think that OS 7.0 is going to be a lite version of QNX and these phones will get them.. RIM is a very successful company and they played off doing minor upgrades for the last 10 years but they realize now that they have to get their **** together to still be in the top. Call me crazy, but I think RIM is actually going to step it up A LOT this next year (as it is already apparent that they have) but actually maybe loose that whole "knowing RIM" thing because they are really stepping it up.

Maybe I'm just taking what they are doing too much to heart, but I have faith in RIM and who knows, **** I might be disappointed in the end, but does it hurt to have faith in them? For god sakes, noone wants to have faith in them for some reason.
    04-14-11 06:12 PM
    But you say "knowing RIM" and ****, if we went with that theory.. These upgraded phones wouldn't be coming out for another year. They are really trying to get their **** together now, they aren't playing games anymore. I really think that OS 7.0 is going to be a lite version of QNX and these phones will get them.. RIM is a very successful company and they played off doing minor upgrades for the last 10 years but they realize now that they have to get their **** together to still be in the top. Call me crazy, but I think RIM is actually going to step it up A LOT this next year (as it is already apparent that they have) but actually maybe loose that whole "knowing RIM" thing because they are really stepping it up.

Maybe I'm just taking what they are doing too much to heart, but I have faith in RIM and who knows, **** I might be disappointed in the end, but does it hurt to have faith in them? For god sakes, noone wants to have faith in them for some reason.
    I also have faith in RIM. I think they are doing a very good job at catering to their target/loyal customer base. Productivity and security always take top but one just has to look at the PlayBook's release to get an idea of what will most likely happen...

The PlayBook was announced ages in advance, pushed back and now is being released with virtually no 3rd party apps nor native PIM apps. On top of that, according to Engadget's review, the PlayBook's firmware is still being updated almost daily, which indicates that the PlayBook OS is still not completely ready. I have no doubt that the PlayBook will be a great tablet, if not the best, but after being delayed past its original first quarter release date, it is now being released late with a feeling of... incompleteness.

Apple has managed to release a major iOS software update (as well as a new iPhone) without delay annually for the past four years, not to mention a significant number of minor updates in between. RIM comparatively barely updates their software. Maybe it is a case of RIM having too many devices to optimize their OSes for, I do not know. I do not think that RIM were ever 'playing games' but I would not be surprised if we do not see QNX on a phone for almost another year. I hope is does not take that long but it seems that RIM is currently in a major transition phase, during which time delays and inconsistencies are inherent.
    Last edited by ligh7ning; 04-14-11 at 07:08 PM.
    04-14-11 06:55 PM

Slightly bigger screen
    Touch screen
    720 recording
    9000 bold factor

That may be the problem then. The .4" difference IS noticeable. People who have actually owned both will agree. Not to mention the keyboards are quite noticeably different. When I "upgraded" to the 9700, I was tempted many times to go back to the 9000 with how great the form factor is. I went from 8900 to 9000 to 9700, and the 9700 felt like i was going back to the 8900 in many ways. I have a Torch now and even when I see someone rocking the old 9000, I'm a bit envious.

You're missing a few features in there as well that others have noted.
    04-15-11 07:53 AM
    if it doesn't have the keyboard stutter issue, i'm upgrading. I am pretty sick of the 9780 keyboard.
    04-15-11 09:49 AM
    if it doesn't have the keyboard stutter issue, i'm upgrading. I am pretty sick of the 9780 keyboard.
    I'm not familiar with the 9780 keyboard, what is the "stutter" issue?
    04-15-11 01:11 PM
86 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD