Is anyone planning on skipping the bold touch and buy a playbook instead? I have a 9700 currently which I'm happy with, and by the looks of it, this will not have qnx on it. I am thinking about not upgrading this year and buy a playbook instead and then wait for the 2012 phone lineup.

Anyone else feels this way?

I know this is a major upgrade from the 9700, and love the form factor too. Hopefully they come out with version 2 with qnx on it in 2012.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-11 07:16 PM
    QNX BBs (or OS7) will definitely come out in 2012! I personally have no need for a Playbook, so I will probably be upgrading to either the Bold Touch or the Monaco, but I know of a lot of people who will probably stick with their current Bolds and get PBs...

Its really up to you...
    04-01-11 07:20 PM
    I switch phones almost every 6 months anyway... im gonna grab this for sure. been waiting a loong time.
    04-01-11 07:36 PM
    Yeah, as long as the phone is as good as the rumors are stating than yeah I might get this phone but just with a one year contract! Then bring on QNX!!!
    04-01-11 07:48 PM
    Its either Bold Touch or Monza for me. Looking at the new pics of Monza. I might be leaning towards a bigger screen.

Pass on the PB for me, my trusty Thinkpad works like a charm.
    04-01-11 08:41 PM
    Nope, no pass, Playbook is on order, and this will be mine as well!
    04-01-11 08:54 PM
    PlayBook is already pre-ordered. Current Torch is due for an upgrade in September. The only reason I can see for passing on the Bold Touch at that time is if the Torch2 ends up kicking its a$$. Considering I'll have the PB in hand by then and because I miss my old 9000 keyboard, right now I'm leaning more toward the Bold Touch; but nothing is certain until I've had some hands-on time with both of them.
    04-01-11 11:19 PM
    I'm still mulling it over. On one hand I want the bold touch already, but on the other hand (considering I buy phones at the no term price) I think I'd be better off waiting for the QNX devices in 2012 rather than spending a lot of money now and a lot of money in the not-terribly-distant future. Especially ocnsidering the QNX ones will wipe the floor with these ones coming out.
    04-02-11 11:46 AM
    I have no problem getting the Bold Touch on a 2 year agreement. I really need the upgrade, and I figure by the time I'm done with it, RIM will have had time to completely perfect QNX AND 4G technology will be much more mature. I don't think RIM will come to the 4G table for a while.
    04-02-11 12:20 PM
    I'll be skipping to the store to buy one...to go with my 64GB Playbook.
    04-02-11 01:21 PM
    I'm still mulling it over. On one hand I want the bold touch already, but on the other hand (considering I buy phones at the no term price) I think I'd be better off waiting for the QNX devices in 2012 rather than spending a lot of money now and a lot of money in the not-terribly-distant future. Especially ocnsidering the QNX ones will wipe the floor with these ones coming out.
    Only problem I have with that approach is you just don't know exactly when the QNX devices will drop. They're saying 2012, but beyond that, no clue. And that's for the first QNX handhelds -- you still don't know what form factor will come first. For all we know, the the first one could be a touch-screen only to take on iPhone and most of the Androids head-on, with candybars or a slider coming months after. Once the Bold Touch drops, you know it's here; after that, there's really no telling how long the wait will be for the next ones. I don't know about you, but I have a hard enough time waiting for something when I do know when it's coming.
    04-02-11 01:26 PM
    Only problem I have with that approach is you just don't know exactly when the QNX devices will drop. They're saying 2012, but beyond that, no clue. And that's for the first QNX handhelds -- you still don't know what form factor will come first. For all we know, the the first one could be a touch-screen only to take on iPhone and most of the Androids head-on, with candybars or a slider coming months after. Once the Bold Touch drops, you know it's here; after that, there's really no telling how long the wait will be for the next ones. I don't know about you, but I have a hard enough time waiting for something when I do know when it's coming.
    Yeah that's my only fear. This is RIM, calendar 2012 could mean december 2012 and if that's the case I'd rather not wait. Also it's not like I couldn't resell this phone for something....

Decisions decisions. I guess I'll make the final decision when I see this thing in action and see a lot of hands on videos/impressions/reviews. If they are really good and everything looks great then I'll probably fold.
    04-02-11 02:42 PM
    I have been waiting for this phone since the Bold 9000. To me, nothing beat the Bold 9000 form factor, and the newer phones' keys on the keyboard were a bit too small for me. So I for sure would be getting this phone. I also would get the Bold Touch and not wait for 2012 because of the same reason 18to12fitty stated. It is not 100% exactly when QNX devices will start to drop, let alone the Bold Touch version, if they make one.
    04-02-11 03:54 PM
    Zero interest in the PB so I'm picking up the Bold touch as soon as it drops on Verizon. I'd like to wait or a QNX device, but there's just too much uncertainty about when those will be available and in what form factor.
    04-02-11 05:18 PM
    Yeah that's my only fear. This is RIM, calendar 2012 could mean december 2012 and if that's the case I'd rather not wait. Also it's not like I couldn't resell this phone for something....

Decisions decisions. I guess I'll make the final decision when I see this thing in action and see a lot of hands on videos/impressions/reviews. If they are really good and everything looks great then I'll probably fold.
    Well, the good news is, you don't have to make up your mind today.
    The bad news is, that's because new stuff is still a few months away.
    But the good news is, the new stuff is definitely coming.

I think people will be pleasantly surprised with the 6.1 devices when they show up. Between the competitive hardware specs and 'Liquid Graphics' hardware acceleration, these should be pretty speedy phones and more than adequate hold-me-overs while waiting for OS 7.
    04-02-11 06:46 PM
    I'm also kind of getting bored with my android phone and I've only had it for about half a year :/

Just got an iPad 2 though which rocks my socks. Should keep me entertained till I see the bold touch in action.
    04-03-11 01:49 AM
    probably getting bold touch even tho contract still running 1 year
    and then getting qnx phones even tho "bold touch contract" stil running then

but u know what i really want?
    flash support on bold touch !
    04-03-11 06:24 AM
    As much as I want one, it just isn't in the funds right now...I have one phone coming up on contract this June and stepdaughter needs a new phone, so gonna wait till Feb or 12' when my contract is up to see what BB has and hopefully by then BB7 will be just about to come out and some QNX phones will be on the horizon. Hopefully they don't come out too late in the year.

Love my 9700, but these new spec'd BB's look and sound sweet!

No PB for me either. Really don't see a need for one to be honest. Have an awesome desktop and laptop and then my 9700 and gaming needs I get by fine on a psp....

04-03-11 06:50 AM
    As much as I want one, it just isn't in the funds right now...I have one phone coming up on contract this June and stepdaughter needs a new phone, so gonna wait till Feb or 12' when my contract is up to see what BB has and hopefully by then BB7 will be just about to come out and some QNX phones will be on the horizon. Hopefully they don't come out too late in the year.

Love my 9700, but these new spec'd BB's look and sound sweet!

No PB for me either. Really don't see a need for one to be honest. Have an awesome desktop and laptop and then my 9700 and gaming needs I get by fine on a psp....

!
    i couldnt agree more about the playbook, i mean.. ofc its all nice, im glad RIM is bringing out another product, and its great everyone enjoys their tablets, but i still dont think they're that useful
    most of the stuff a tablet can do, a phone can do as well (especially the new ones), tablets are unhandy and whereever i go, i definitely wouldnt want to carry a playbook in my hands or in a bag or stuff like that
    and if i remember correctly i read that the playbooks dont even have "their own" internet, but you have to use "tether" or so, i dont know if thats true tho, only wifi right?

its the same with every other tablet, but im glad all tablet-owners are enjoying it : )
    Last edited by Seijuro; 04-03-11 at 07:24 AM.
    04-03-11 07:18 AM
    I couldn't agree more, the PB is nowhere near a necessity, and I work on a laptop, so a playbook really would not make sense for me. Don't get me wrong, it looks like a nice tablet, and not excessively big like the iPad. I wouldn't turn it down at all if someone got me one, but it's just not needed.
    04-03-11 10:28 AM
    !
    i couldnt agree more about the playbook, i mean.. ofc its all nice, im glad RIM is bringing out another product, and its great everyone enjoys their tablets, but i still dont think they're that useful
    most of the stuff a tablet can do, a phone can do as well (especially the new ones), tablets are unhandy and whereever i go, i definitely wouldnt want to carry a playbook in my hands or in a bag or stuff like that
    and if i remember correctly i read that the playbooks dont even have "their own" internet, but you have to use "tether" or so, i dont know if thats true tho, only wifi right?

its the same with every other tablet, but im glad all tablet-owners are enjoying it : )
    I couldn't agree more, the PB is nowhere near a necessity, and I work on a laptop, so a playbook really would not make sense for me. Don't get me wrong, it looks like a nice tablet, and not excessively big like the iPad. I wouldn't turn it down at all if someone got me one, but it's just not needed.
    Then the Playbook or any tablet is not for you. I tell people that if they cannot imagine the things they will use a tablet for, don't get one. I already have MANY uses in mind for the Playbook, and look forward to the Bold touch/PB combo.
    04-03-11 12:01 PM
    The ipad 2 is of great convenience. It's one of those things you think is good but not something you might get a whole lot of use out of, but then when you actually use it, it just feels amazing. Gonna take it to school when it starts back up in September and all that, I use it in bed late at night before I catch some shut eye. It's easy to just pull out to check a few things quickly. I imagine the playbook will be the same. They are great and useful devices. People should give tablets a chance. Return it if you end up not using it much!
    04-03-11 12:13 PM
    Then the Playbook or any tablet is not for you. I tell people that if they cannot imagine the things they will use a tablet for, don't get one. I already have MANY uses in mind for the Playbook, and look forward to the Bold touch/PB combo.
    not trying to be an ***, but how about you share, lets say...10 of those "uses in mind" ?
    and running around, screaming "hey look here, i've got a tablet" doesnt count
    and please explain the bold touch/pb combo thing ^^

The ipad 2 is of great convenience. It's one of those things you think is good but not something you might get a whole lot of use out of, but then when you actually use it, it just feels amazing. Gonna take it to school when it starts back up in September and all that, I use it in bed late at night before I catch some shut eye. It's easy to just pull out to check a few things quickly. I imagine the playbook will be the same. They are great and useful devices. People should give tablets a chance. Return it if you end up not using it much!
    then again, you can do all that with a phone, without having to carry an unhandy device around
    "easy to just pull out" -> phone, not a tablet

really, im glad for you, i could get a tablet too if i wanted, but wont do it for the reasons i already stated above
    i'd just like to hear some of you're reasons why it's so useful to you
    04-03-11 12:27 PM
    not trying to be an ***, but how about you share, lets say...10 of those "uses in mind" ?
    and running around, screaming "hey look here, i've got a tablet" doesnt count
    and please explain the bold touch/pb combo thing ^^

then again, you can do all that with a phone, without having to carry an unhandy device around
    "easy to just pull out" -> phone, not a tablet

really, im glad for you, i could get a tablet too if i wanted, but wont do it for the reasons i already stated above
    i'd just like to hear some of you're reasons why it's so useful to you
    Just to give you an idea on how I plan on using the PB.

1.) I don't have a gps, so I plan on using it as a gps device for my car with bridge connection through bb.
    2.) I have a netbook which I type papers on for grad school, and I would use the tablet on the side to research materials on the internet. Kinda having portable dual monitors.
    3.) I don't have a home media center, so ill be connecting the pb via hdmi to stream movies on my tv.
    4.) I take weekly flights from california to chicago which is a 5 hour flight, so it'll be useful to play games, watch movies, and listen to music.
    5.) Nice device to surf the web on in coffee shops, which I go everyday to studies.
    6.) Nowadays, you can find text books in pdf versions, so instead of carrying books, you can easily store it on there.
    7.) Integration between pb and bb.

These are just few of my reasons. I know you can do some of this on the bb (surf the web, gps, waste time on a flight) and netbook (surf web, view pdfs, stream movies to big tv). But to me its all about convience. And having a device to do all this function is worth the 500 to me. As long as you can jusitfy the cost.

04-03-11 01:33 PM
    I have been waiting for this phone since the Bold 9000. To me, nothing beat the Bold 9000 form factor, and the newer phones' keys on the keyboard were a bit too small for me. So I for sure would be getting this phone. I also would get the Bold Touch and not wait for 2012 because of the same reason 18to12fitty stated. It is not 100% exactly when QNX devices will start to drop, let alone the Bold Touch version, if they make one.
    The Touch is not just like the 9000. Simular in looks but far from the same.
    04-03-11 02:53 PM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD