Can we please have an OS thread that does not degenerate into a "please help, I can't get it to install" fest.

Simple question, which is the better of the two .440 or .474 and why ???
    11-08-11 01:30 PM
    my experience with 474 so far is not good.
    Better battery life in 440 by far (only get 12 hours heavy usage with 474) Also i had a problem that caused all my apps to uninstall with a reboot :S .

BUT, most of the people seems happier with 474, with better battery life.

Oh, also i have much worse signal, maybe thats the reason why the bat. life is worse.
    At home is constantly changing between GRPS and 3G, despite getting 3G with 5bars with 440.

That's my experience. I will get back to 440 ASAP.

PS: i tested 474 for 3 days, did full charging cycles.. so i think i'm done with 474.
    11-08-11 01:37 PM
    Simple answer: 474

There are issues with 440, like when quickly viewing a recently received sms it will incorrectly believe you want to reply after you hit back, so it saves a draft. Also the trackpad and buttons don't fade out properly, and in general I've found 474 identical to 440 for performance and battery life.
    11-08-11 02:16 PM
    I've been getting better battery life on .474 over .440
    11-08-11 02:54 PM
    30 hours out of .474 for me, auto off for 5 hours at night but wifi constantly on (connected for about 18 hours to wifi). Average to high usage, on 2G EDGE speeds though as no 3G coverage where I live, work or play! Also listening to BBM Music and FB updating every 3 hours.

Thats excellent imo, although no where near the 2-3 days from my 9700
    11-08-11 03:02 PM
    .474 for me. This is my second full day with it. And seems just snappier overall and my battery life have increased easily 3 hours. Browser seems faster for me, less checkerboard.
    11-08-11 03:28 PM
    Been on 474 since its release. I have noticed better battery life over 440 in addition the device seems smoother and faster. Give it more than 12 hours for it to settle and battery to level out on the new OS.
    11-08-11 04:36 PM
    .474 all the way. Install .474, calibrate your battery (let it drain down until it shuts off) and that's it.

I have been getting amazing battery life since I have done that. Battery life with .474 has been comparible to my old Bold 9700.

Plus the touch pad fade light is back!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-11 05:12 PM
    I get better battery life out of .474. Much more stable, no lockups, and far less device freezes for me. .353 and .440 froze up on me a lot.

11-08-11 05:12 PM
    Is there a thread counting the number of brick events per release?
    11-08-11 05:19 PM
    Hi,

I really liked .440 for me it was much better than all of the previous versions. I only had one or two minor issues with it.

However, IMHO .474 is even better (granted its only been a day or so) no bugs as yet and the battery life does seem to have improved. As I said its a little early to be making any concrete judgements but things are looking good. Will report back in a day or two.

Cheers.

Mav.
    11-08-11 07:34 PM
    Is there a thread counting the number of brick events per release?
    This is a good question... Anyone here knows how to create a poll for this? This is a very good data to look at. Also I hope the OS 7.1 will soon be released by someone who has it because I can't wait to use the wifi hotspot.
    11-08-11 10:28 PM
    I am using 439 and am very happy, after installing a new OS I always re-calibrate my battery. On 439 I get about two days of battery life easily and usually have over 20 percent remaining when I put it on the charger.

The key to extended battery life is to simply be selective with your apps and to properly calibrate your battery on the new OS by letting it drain until your device shuts off, then put it on the charger and leave it there for a full night. Then let it drain until it shuts off again and repeat the process. After a 12 hour day of moderate to heavy usage I am usually sitting around 70 percent. I charge every second day. And have a discharge rate of roughly 0.7 percent/hour.

As for bugs, I haven't noticed any. The phone runs smooth and fast. Poor battery life is due to user error imo. A properly tuned 9900 has fantastic battery life.

Last edited by EvilmasterMMA; 11-08-11 at 10:46 PM.
    11-08-11 10:39 PM
    474 because of battery life. But I had the alarm bug. The alarm is triggered but no sound. A reboot does the trick so I reboot before bed time to be woken up by the morning alarm.
    11-08-11 11:34 PM
    I am using 439 and am very happy, after installing a new OS I always re-calibrate my battery. On 439 I get about two days of battery life easily and usually have over 20 percent remaining when I put it on the charger.

The key to extended battery life is to simply be selective with your apps and to properly calibrate your battery on the new OS by letting it drain until your device shuts off, then put it on the charger and leave it there for a full night. Then let it drain until it shuts off again and repeat the process. After a 12 hour day of moderate to heavy usage I am usually sitting around 70 percent. I charge every second day. And have a discharge rate of roughly 0.7 percent/hour.

As for bugs, I haven't noticed any. The phone runs smooth and fast. Poor battery life is due to user error imo. A properly tuned 9900 has fantastic battery life.

User error?? For pity's sake!! Oh yeah, it's a user error to use apps and the phone's functions. Wake up and smell the coffee! The battery is poor. End of story.

10-Dee-Q likes this.
    11-08-11 11:59 PM
    @Evil Just letting you know draining lithium ion batteries shortens your battery life. It's really REALLY bad for the battery.
    11-09-11 01:47 AM
    Prior to calibrating the battery, I would be lucky to get 8 hours out of my device. After calibrating I now get two days. Take out auto updating apps, reduce screen brightness, turn off vibrate, turn off wifi and blutooth when not in use and calibrate the battery properly and you will all have substantially better battery life.

Truth. And lol @ bricking a phone by calibrating the battery. My friends that have iPhones are jealous of my bold because of the awesome battery life. The guy who sits in the next office to me has an Iphone 4s, we both get to work with a full battery. I use mine substantially more than him, by lunch he is down to 40 percent and I am still up over 90 percent. It's not rocket science guys.

11-09-11 04:08 AM
    great tip for great battery life in this POS
    turn off wifi
    turn off bluetooth
    set brightness to 10% (infact 0% if possible)
    set alert to none ( ringtones take juices when they are played)
    turn off vibration ( buy proper ***** for your partner)
    turn off the LED notification (buy a separate LED flash light , its brighter anyway)
    don't ever use the camera as it zap juices too (bad camera anyway)
    don't ever use the video cam and music player (buy an iPod or iPhone instead)
    do not install any Apps at all (as if there are a lot of "useful" apps for this phone anyway)
    last thing, the most important thing !
    Turn off the phone !!!

that way i can guarantee that the battery life will be amazing !

i really don't believe that 99xx can last for more than 1 days
    2 days seriously ?
    did u use your phone at all ?
    or its just a paper weight for you ?

my iPhone 4s battery live is better though not by much, but it last a day (12hour) with screen brightness 75% , bluttoth on and lots of APP.

99xx battery life for 2 days ?

thats should be in the news all over the world.

btw sorry to the OP
    i've used .353 .440 .439 . 474

all the same , crappy battery life
    i infact bought 2 spare battery, but those also have crap battery life

looking at RIM track record
    the best OS will be the one that releases when a newer devices are launched .
    Last edited by 10-Dee-Q; 11-09-11 at 04:46 AM.
    11-09-11 04:41 AM
    Having to calibrate the battery is not a user error! This is a technical limitation of li-ion batteries.. Plus if the battery life was way better even not calibrated the battery life would be bearable. I never calibrated on my 9700, 9800 or 9780 batteries and they all gave me better battery life than 9900 prior the version 474. But I agree with the fact that the battery should be calibrated. Those who think li-ion battery do not require calibration just search. I've already posted in another thread a link about HP battery health.

User error?? For pity's sake!! Oh yeah, it's a user error to use apps and the phone's functions. Wake up and smell the coffee! The battery is poor. End of story.
    I tend to agree the battery life is poor for a BlackBerry. But 474 really improved. I already calibrated my two batteries on 353 and 440 and the battery life was not as good.

Truth. And lol @ bricking a phone by calibrating the battery. My friends that have iPhones are jealous of my bold because of the awesome battery life. The guy who sits in the next office to me has an Iphone 4s, we both get to work with a full battery. I use mine substantially more than him, by lunch he is down to 40 percent and I am still up over 90 percent. It's not rocket science guys.
    Frankly comparing the battery life of both is already admitting that the 9900 battery life is less than good for a BlackBerry. But I have to agree that the fear to brick the phone is really not justified. If your phone brick itself it's something else. You should be ok to go as low as the device permit it. If the battery goes way to low it is supposed to kill itself not the whole phone.

last thing, the most important thing !
    Turn off the phone !!!

that way i can guarantee that the battery life will be amazing !

i really don't believe that 99xx can last for more than 1 days
    2 days seriously ?
    did u use your phone at all ?
    or its just a paper weight for you ?

my iPhone 4s battery live is better though not by much, but it last a day (12hour) with screen brightness 75% , bluttoth on and lots of APP.

99xx battery life for 2 days ?

thats should be in the news all over the world.

btw sorry to the OP
    i've used .353 .440 .439 . 474

all the same , crappy battery life
    i infact bought 2 spare battery, but those also have crap battery life
    Nice joke you must have had this one from the iPhone 4S forums.. Seriously the subject was 440 vs 474! And I have to disagree 474 did improve my battery life.
    My 9900 ran from friday 9am to sunday 12am to 1% on the week end it mostly idle but anyway great improvement to me. Then from sunday 2pm to tuesday 10am which is a 40 hours run. Now I am at 46% and my 9900 is on for 23 hours and a half.
    BTW 12 hours run on a charge sound ridiculous I couldn't bear that kind of battery life. Plus you can't have a spare on hand.

I hope next updates bring even more battery life
    11-09-11 06:10 AM
    so key to better battery life is to calibrate it !?
    11-09-11 06:19 AM
    so key to better battery life is to calibrate it !?
    It is to be done if your battery life is poor. But you also have to setup your BB correctly. Ten Tips and Tricks to Extend your BlackBerry Battery Life! | CrackBerry.com
    11-09-11 06:32 AM
    I have tried both. Can't tell the difference, the only thing is the trackpad and keyboard fades out on the .474. So sticking to that for the time being.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-09-11 08:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD