I've always had Verizon (since Bell Atlantic), never had anyone else. I've never had a sim card and honestly I don't really know what they are for, but I'm assuming that is what is under my battery there with 'Verizon' printed on it. Can someone please tell me if that's what it is and also what it is for? Thanks!
    08-17-11 02:13 PM
    I've always had Verizon (since Bell Atlantic), never had anyone else. I've never had a sim card and honestly I don't really know what they are for, but I'm assuming that is what is under my battery there with 'Verizon' printed on it. Can someone please tell me if that's what it is and also what it is for? Thanks!
    Sure. That sim card is there in case you happen to travel overseas and need your phone. You'll be able to activate that sim (with Vodafone in this case in Europe) and use it there. Your berry is a world phone and it is capable of using GSM networks in other countries.

Now, Verizon 4G LTE phones also have a sim card but that does not mean they are global. That sim card is for VZ's LTE network only.
    Last edited by dcgore; 08-17-11 at 02:17 PM.
    lindajm22 likes this.
    08-17-11 02:15 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. Would it then activate automatically giving me a prompt or something in another country? Not that I have plans to leave the US anytime soon but it's nice to know my new phone is so versatile.
    08-17-11 02:21 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. Would it then activate automatically giving me a prompt or something in another country? Not that I have plans to leave the US anytime soon but it's nice to know my new phone is so versatile.
    First of all, your phone as of now is locked to Verizon so even if you put in a sim card that is active in the phone, it wont work. This means you'll need to unlock the phone (either by calling VZ or with a 3rd party unlocking service) so that i can be used overseas. Once this is done, all you need to do is pop in the sim card or activate the one that comes with your phone and that's it.
    08-17-11 02:24 PM
    If you use that sim card it will active without prompt (it have happen to me before) and you will be charge roaming rates from verizon.

My advice is to buy the unlock code on eBay for .99 and use a local sim card from a GSM carrier if you are going overseas, it's a lot cheaper!
    08-17-11 02:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD