I have just got my 9900 but the reception is very bad, my wife's iphone has signal and I dont. Any advice?
    01-29-12 10:44 AM
    What os are you running? Upgrade it. Plug your phone into your pc and use the desktop manager to upgrade your os. My signal was horrendous when I first got my 9900... Sos and variating signal everywhere I went. I upgraded my os and now I only get an sos when I'm in a heavily fortified location (rare). Plus battery life got a bit better. Also, now I get full strength 4g signal everywhere I go as opposed to having crappy 4g signal or 3g/edge everywhere I went.

Oh, and since upgrading my os I can now stream youtube just as good as any iphone or android.
    RhodieG likes this.
    01-29-12 11:46 AM
    trying it now
    01-29-12 12:57 PM
    What os are you updating to because I have horrible reception
    01-29-12 01:35 PM
    I'm running .598 and I get better reception now than on what I was running previous (I think it was .540) but still not as good as a Torch in the same house same location, same network, Torch has better signal most of the time, and when one of the cell towers here was having maintenance my phone wouldn't operate on 3G at all, kept getting SOS (I posted here about it at the time) but the Torch was fine and my sim in my old Torch worked fine too. Anyway I'd go to .598 it's much better I find.
    01-29-12 06:24 PM
    I have done everything I can and my 9900 signal on 3/4g still sucks. Yesterday I was inside a home with a group of people and I asked them (4 of us in total) to take out their smartphones so we could do a comparison. Two had iphone 4 on Rogers and they had an ok signal, one guy had an iphone 4S on Bell Mobility and he had the best signal of all..............full bars. My 9900 on Rogers was going SOS so I switched it to the old 2g Edge network and then I could still only get 1 bar of signal. Couldn't use the phone, kept crashing when trying to surf the web.............it was really embarassing. Some people tell me its Rogers network and not my phone, but I think it's both now. I have tested against other phones all over, and Rogers signal seems weeker in general, and the 9900 signal issues just compound and make it worse. 3 mos left in my contact and I am gone..................................shopping for new carrier and new brand of phone.
    When I was at the cell store I overheard another person complaining about signal on Rogers with their 9900. I know it's happening all over, just not everyone posts online about it.
    01-29-12 06:52 PM
    I have no issues with reception on OS7.1, if you install leaked OS. The first 7.1 leaked OS (7.1.0.74) was very buggy but 7.1.0.190 and 7.1.0.205 have been solid for me. Naturally you'll find downloads and reviews in the Leaked OS forum.

Keep in mind that when you compare signal strength of different devices that it's only good information if all are on the same network. Your location could be closer to a Bell tower than a Rogers tower while the reverse could be true in my location. The same is true with the type of network. You may find locations where a 2g network is stronger than a 3g or lte. All have to be on theexact same network for comparisons to be fair.
    Last edited by sheldonbk; 01-29-12 at 07:04 PM.
    01-29-12 06:56 PM
    My signals not very good, so you're not alone. None of the OS's have affected it either way.
    01-30-12 01:50 PM
    updated to .598 bit better signal but very variable. I can watch the bar go 3 -1 -3 then gone.
    01-31-12 08:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD