Anyone has a working shutter-sound disabler for the 9900? I've been searching it for some time now, can't find something useful though.
    09-02-11 01:00 PM
    the reason phone manufacturers put that shutter sound there w/out the option to disable is because creeps would take pictures of unassuming people on the street, subway, changing rooms, etc. Why would a normal person want that disabled? hmmm.....
    09-02-11 01:06 PM
    A silent option would be a good feature though - I don't want to wake up my niece when I'm taking pictures of her sleeping and have her bawling her lungs out again!
    I don't know how loud the shutter sound on the 99xx is though, just know that I can silence it on my iphone.
    09-02-11 01:24 PM
    Wasn't this because of Canada law?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-11 01:41 PM
    Would make it easier to send pictures to Funny Pictures at WalMart
    kazn3r likes this.
    09-02-11 01:45 PM
    I think the main reason to silence it is because the shutter sound on the 9930 is absolutely terrible. It sounds like it is sick or something.
    09-02-11 01:49 PM
    There is no law about digital camera shutter sounds. There was a bill introduced, never happened. It's a myth. I'm sure it will be available at some point soon. Was a part of QuickLaunch, probably still working that out for OS7. My previous devices on Android have the mute as a default option, built right in.
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-02-11 02:28 PM
    the reason phone manufacturers put that shutter sound there w/out the option to disable is because creeps would take pictures of unassuming people on the street, subway, changing rooms, etc. Why would a normal person want that disabled? hmmm.....
    Because the sound of the shutter is really really cheap, it makes the phone corny while its looks are as nifty as futuristic phone!
    09-02-11 03:17 PM
    3rd party app developers are no longer able to silence the shutter sound
    09-02-11 03:17 PM
    3rd party app developers are no longer able to silence the shutter sound
    Do you mean on OS7 because RIM locked it somehow? Because there are dozens upon dozens of apps for Android and iPhone that silence the camera shutter. Also still apps for OS6 on BB to mute it.
    09-02-11 03:25 PM
    Do you mean on OS7 because RIM locked it somehow? Because there are dozens upon dozens of apps for Android and iPhone that silence the camera shutter. Also still apps for OS6 on BB to mute it.
    according to quicklaunch dev, RIM locked it down in the OS

and droid and iphone are very different devices
    09-02-11 03:27 PM
    according to quicklaunch dev, RIM locked it down in the OS

and droid and iphone are very different devices
    Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification. Stinks, because there are legitimate times when you would want the shutter to be silent. Say, at my children's school play or when I have someone take pics of me when I'm presenting to large crowds (so I can examine my posture). Maybe someone will write a whole new camera app that can make muting possible.....
    09-02-11 03:35 PM
    Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification. Stinks, because there are legitimate times when you would want the shutter to be silent. Say, at my children's school play or when I have someone take pics of me when I'm presenting to large crowds (so I can examine my posture). Maybe someone will write a whole new camera app that can make muting possible.....
    Agreed. I work on movies and I like to take behind the scenes pics. I have to have my phone on silent the whole time, but if I take a pic the sound is louder than the actors talking. That sound makes me look very unprofessional.
    09-12-11 09:08 AM
    There is no law about digital camera shutter sounds. There was a bill introduced, never happened. It's a myth. I'm sure it will be available at some point soon. Was a part of QuickLaunch, probably still working that out for OS7. My previous devices on Android have the mute as a default option, built right in.
    My Thunderbolt has the option to mute shutter as well as every non smartphone and every smartphone excluding BlackBerry.

There are plenty of non perve reason to want to mute that annoying sound. On my past Blackberry devices I used a 3rd party app to mute.

I wish RIM would just Include the option as a native feature.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...a-tour-322983/
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-12-11 at 09:32 AM.
    09-12-11 09:29 AM
    I've always "silenced" my shutter sound by calling my voicemail, then activating the camera.

When you take a pic during a call, the sound is very faint.

Thats the only workaround I know.
    09-12-11 09:48 AM
    Would make it easier to send pictures to Funny Pictures at WalMart
    ugh, YES. i used to be able to hold my finger over the speaker outlet on my tour, but this speaker outlet is a tough one!
    09-12-11 10:22 AM
    This freakin sucks...we need the silence feature! 3rd Party App...anyone???
    11-06-11 09:40 PM
    i dont think rim will bring it back.. there are also 'coporate /business reasons' to keep the cameras with the cameras sounds... it'll prevent unauthroized videos/pictures of secret pictures of documents/other stuff beign taken at a workplace enviornment. So to applease the corporate world, this will never be removed.
    11-06-11 11:31 PM
    I personally think this whole shutter sound issue because of "corporate/business reasons" is ridiculous... it doesn't make any sound when you film... you can film, and then take a screenshot of what you wanted. not too difficult... i have CameraMuteApp on my 9700 and 9650 on os 5, don't know if anything similar is going to come out for os 7.

corporations should be smart about it and give their employees non-camera blackberries... as long as there's a camera, there will be secret pictures and videos leaked. when you want to prevent someone from doing something, you should render it impossible to do, not make it complicated.
    Last edited by bobbydudeman; 11-07-11 at 12:18 AM.
    11-07-11 12:14 AM
    I've always "silenced" my shutter sound by calling my voicemail, then activating the camera.

When you take a pic during a call, the sound is very faint.

Thats the only workaround I know.
    Thanks for the tip :-)

i dont think rim will bring it back.. there are also 'coporate /business reasons' to keep the cameras with the cameras sounds... it'll prevent unauthroized videos/pictures of secret pictures of documents/other stuff beign taken at a workplace enviornment. So to applease the corporate world, this will never be removed.
    This doesn't make sense. Videos don't make a single sound! And corporate can disable the camera with BES.
    11-07-11 04:26 AM
    Camera can be disabled by BES,or employers can choose to issue non camera BlackBerry devices. It doesn't make sense to not have a native camera mute option.
    11-07-11 04:55 AM
    So everyone that hates the shutter sound is a creep? That's a pretty ******** view...
    11-07-11 06:33 AM
    I like it disabled because it is obnoxious sounding!
    BarryBaas and anon(153966) like this.
    11-07-11 06:35 AM
    Does the plugging in headphones trick still work on OS7 devices?
    11-07-11 06:46 AM
    That trick didn't work on OS5.
    11-07-11 06:47 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD