Hi long time lurker, just signed up lol. Anyway, I'm an iphone user, Going to move to blackberry mainly because of bbm. I really want the new 9900 because the touch screen combo with keyboard candy bar is what I'm looking forward to but a couple days ago it was leaked t mobile will bring it in mid August? I have patients but not 3 months patients. Any chance of a late June release? Or should I grab a 9780 now as deals aren't to bad on it right now.
    05-20-11 01:38 PM
    you said you have an iPhone, so i assume you're either with AT&T or Verizon at this time.
    getting the bold 9780 for a 2 yr commitment with T-mobile is not worth it.
    the BlackBerry 9780 is not a bad phone but it was released last yr ( Nov 2010)

so asked yourself this.. wait for 3 months vs get a Bold Now and pay retail price after 3 months.
    your choice
    05-20-11 02:17 PM
    On T-Mobile.
    There is a release date leak on the site. Look on the main page until you find it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-11 02:24 PM
    I would wait because, it is better to wait and buy the best phone than to just buy the old model. There are so many new features and performance improvements on 9900/9930, I would hold on until it release to the market.
    05-20-11 03:38 PM
    That is solely on you. Just like mss-ca said, I would wait as well. I would be really mad if I had to get a 9780 and then 3 months later a new phone that is WAY better than the 9780 came out. Plus, who knows, it may even come out earlier on at&t than the release date T-Mobile has. I surely hope at&t releases it before that. If they are taking long into August though, I just hope they get the major bugs out of the way before it is released.
    05-20-11 03:45 PM
    Could you hang in there with your iPhone or buy a used Curve and use it until the new Bold drops?
    05-20-11 08:36 PM
    I suggest you should wait.

05-20-11 08:43 PM
    some people are going to stick to their 9700/9780 until qnx and they are going to pass on the bold touch.thats not a bad move at all because new qnx phone will well ahead of the bold touch and there is no certainty the bold touch will get qnx.so you have to decide whats best for you. you can either wait for the bold touch or you can grab a good deal on the 9780 and get yourself a qnx device next year.
    05-20-11 08:45 PM
    TMO and Costco have been offering the 9780 "free" or nearly so lately (I paid $9 after BB rebate on my 8330 turn in.) Got the unlim. (5GB) data plan. When the hoopla stops I will BUY a later gen. unlocked? 9900 for ATT/TMO which will be merged by then and hopefully grandfather in like early iPhone users did on unlim. data plan. Have had Verizon 8330 (first wow), 9650 (misery) and trial ATT 9800 (fail). 9780 is the best user experience so far bar none. Get while getting is good, who wants to pay $199 rental fee? Early adopters usually pay the price (except not for the iPad in my case, but that is Apple not BB.) Built in hotspot with 9900 will solve a host of needs including my next non GS iPad3.
    05-20-11 09:14 PM
    The 9780 is a nice phone but it's really getting old. Someone mentioned it's a 2010 model-- in reality it's much older, since it's a refresh of the 9700. An internal refresh... physically it's the same.
    Secondly, you mentioned you're coming from an iPhone. I find that the transition from iPhone to touch/keyboard combo-- say a Torch, is much smoother than going from all touch to keyboard only.
    Wait for the 9909/9930-- I'm sure it'll be a totally different experience from the stuff we have available now.

05-21-11 05:34 AM
    If you have or getting T-MO as your carrier, I'd definatley wait. These supposed "leaks" really are not offical. I myself wouldn't get an older device simpley because of 3 months (if I chose not to wait, I'd at least get the most current 2nd choice device) Like everyone here is saying, you'll be kickin' yourself for NOT waiting. And again, all these mid-August rumors are just that, rumors! The Bold could be released in late June/early July for all we know of yet. And IF the Bold 9900/9930 DOES come out on at&t, Verizon and Sprint before, just sign with one of them. Since T-MO is gonna start doing tier data plans, the ONLY carrier NOT is Sprint (which is the reason I have Sprint, least expencive). So you do have choices.
    05-21-11 06:32 AM
    Depends really what kinda person you are. I am impatient and could not wait for 1 month, let alone 3 months and who knows what delays might happen.

I have a 9780 and lemme tel you something, it is in no way outdated like the above users have stated. It is the best of the BlackBerry lineup right now, due to the highest battery capacity and speed combo.

The Torch comes in second place, then the 9700.

I can do anything on my 9780 and with fast speed thanks to the new OS releases lately.

I can scan (using PDF scanner) just like a real world scanner, I can browser, multiple tabs, I can BBM, or any other chat program, basically, the only REAL upgrade you will feel (not under the hood) is the larger screen and keys.

Other than that, the 9780 is a very respectable phone that could easily serve you well for another year to come. When QNX phones will be release, THAT is an upgrade to wait for.

Just my opinion. the choice is yours
    05-21-11 09:56 AM
    Thanks for replys, Think I'll wait it out, a touch screen will really be beneficial for me.
    05-21-11 10:53 AM
    you should totally wait, the new one (9900) is twice as fast the current one and it will be loaded with OS 7, totally worth for waiting
    05-21-11 10:53 AM
    Wait

10char
    05-21-11 12:49 PM
    I've pretty much decided I'm going to upgrade phones every year, which I can do on AT&T because I pay $100+ a month for my service. Therefore, I feel safe in getting the 9900 this year and waiting another year for a QNX phone, the release date of which nobody has any idea currently.

What I found interesting with AT&T recently is that when I lost my current phone a few months shy of my upgrade eligibility, they offered me the option of upgrading now. As it happens I'm going to take my new upgrade phone back (Torch) and rekindle my old Bold 9000 until the 9900 comes out. But it's useful to know that should I ever be desperate for an upgrade before I'm eligible, I can always roll out the "lost phone" sob story lol.
    05-21-11 04:52 PM
    I've pretty much decided I'm going to upgrade phones every year, which I can do on AT&T because I pay $100+ a month for my service. Therefore, I feel safe in getting the 9900 this year and waiting another year for a QNX phone, the release date of which nobody has any idea currently.

What I found interesting with AT&T recently is that when I lost my current phone a few months shy of my upgrade eligibility, they offered me the option of upgrading now. As it happens I'm going to take my new upgrade phone back (Torch) and rekindle my old Bold 9000 until the 9900 comes out. But it's useful to know that should I ever be desperate for an upgrade before I'm eligible, I can always roll out the "lost phone" sob story lol.
    Ha. Yeah, its funny how many loopholes there are that people have no idea about when it comes to carriers. It depends on what you want though, of course.
    05-21-11 05:46 PM
    Thanks for replys, Think I'll wait it out, a touch screen will really be beneficial for me.
    good choice. you'll be smiling soon. :-)

05-22-11 12:45 AM
    Never wait! Buy the 9780 NOW! It's so cheap ~ buy it on eBay or Craigslist and then sign the contract when the 9900 comes out to get it subsidized. Dump the 9780 the same way you got it and you lose nothing. Rinse, wash and repeat.
    [email protected] likes this.
    05-22-11 10:03 AM
    Never wait! Buy the 9780 NOW! It's so cheap ~ buy it on eBay or Craigslist and then sign the contract when the 9900 comes out to get it subsidized. Dump the 9780 the same way you got it and you lose nothing. Rinse, wash and repeat.
    That's not true... you can't sell the 9780 at the same price you buy right now. Since 9900 is not out yet, 9780 and 9700 are selling at a good price. But once 9900 hit the market, the price will drop dogmatically. YOU WILL LOSE money if you buy a 9780 now and then upgrade to 9900 thinking that you can sell the 9780 for the same price you got it BEFORE the 9900 release.

For example, Bold 9700 currently being sold for ~$250 CAD. But when I get my hands on my 9900, I will sell my Bold 9700 for ~$100 CAD. Why? No one in a right mind would buy a 9700 AFTER 9900 come in to the market for ~$250 CAD. (Unless they need parts for their old 9700 or have issues with buying a new 9900) I am not saying that you cannot sell an old model for a good price, but it will be a hard sell.

So... if anyone here on CrackBerry.com needs my used 9700 for $100 Canadian after September, PM me.
    05-22-11 11:33 AM
    That's what I've been doing. Works GREAT!
    05-22-11 05:34 PM
    Wait. Current phones are basically EOL'd other than some possible updates but they won't get OS7. They are only a couple months away. Other option would be to find a good deal on a used BB on Craigslist or ebay if you really want to get in now.
    05-22-11 07:26 PM
    I'd wait too.
    05-22-11 10:38 PM
    In the same boat Berry...but my device is older (Curve 8330 on Sprint) and while I'm certain Sprint will be getting the Bold 9930, I will be VERY disgusted with RIM and Sprint if they lag this device all the way until mid-August!

05-23-11 04:58 PM
    Why they can't get it together and release phones regularly like Android does is beyond me but I find it highly irritating.

Android is an OS and rim is a phone producer with its own OS so their wont be as many rim os powered phones out there. Unless rim makes their OS and interface available to other phone producers, expect 2-4 phones per year max.
    Last edited by Tony1988; 05-23-11 at 05:35 PM.
    05-23-11 05:19 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD