I would like to be able to use data while I'm visiting Canada from the states in a few weeks, but I am new when it comes to talking about frequency bands, and the 2G/EDGE and 3G thing. Also, I get my Bold in a few days.

After what I've read...

The iPhone 4S supports:
    2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    CDMA 800 / 1900
    3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
    CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
    and the BlackBerry Bold 9930 supports:
    2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    CDMA 800 / 1900
    3G Network HSDPA 900 / 2100
    CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
    If I want to use data with the Bold, I would need a Rogers/Fido SIM card to support the bands and I would only get 2G data speeds? Also, would I be able to use GPS/directions/maps and possibly Wikitude and other similar apps/services on 2G/EDGE?

Or should I just bring along the iPhone 4S in which I can grab a Telus or similar SIM card to use 3G over the 850/1900 HSDPA bands?

Lastly, in getting this to work...for whichever option I should do, do I order a SIM card from that carrier offline, pre-pay for credits to use that SIM while I am there, or will the foreign SIM allow me to use my existing data plan with Verizon?

Sorry for being so new at this, but help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    02-19-12 04:02 PM
    Both iPhone 4s and Bold 9930 should work in Canada. But since iPhone 4s have bit more bands, I would go with it. As for as I know Rogers, Telus and Bell can provide service to both of them.
    02-19-12 04:04 PM
    Both iPhone 4s and Bold 9930 should work in Canada. But since iPhone 4s have bit more bands, I would go with it. As for as I know Rogers, Telus and Bell can provide service to both of them.
    Okay, and for the later... do I order a SIM card from that carrier offline, pre-pay for credits to use that SIM while I am there, or will the foreign SIM allow me to use my existing data plan with Verizon?
    02-19-12 04:10 PM
    Okay, and for the later... do I order a SIM card from that carrier offline, pre-pay for credits to use that SIM while I am there, or will the foreign SIM allow me to use my existing data plan with Verizon?
    If you use the Verizon SIM, it will be considered as international roaming and the charges will occur in US causing a huge invoice. You should buy a SIM from a store. Here in Canada, you can just walk in to a store and ask for SIM card and pay about ~$20-$30 for activation and go with a month to month BIS and voice plan. Keep in mind the criminals runs our wireless networks so get ready to pay big money compared to US. But it will be cheaper to pay Canadian Wireless CEO criminals here than to go international roaming on Verizon.
    02-19-12 06:49 PM
    i Have iphone 4s from rogers
    speed internet great service only battery drain problem

and my bold 9900 from Bell not so good coverage !
    but again its maybe bell !
    02-19-12 07:21 PM
    Personally I would rather have the Blackberry with BB Travel, BB Maps, and BB Traffic. If it were me I would look at the carrier coverage maps in the Area you will be staying.
    02-19-12 07:27 PM
    If you use the Verizon SIM, it will be considered as international roaming and the charges will occur in US causing a huge invoice. You should buy a SIM from a store. Here in Canada, you can just walk in to a store and ask for SIM card and pay about ~$20-$30 for activation and go with a month to month BIS and voice plan. Keep in mind the criminals runs our wireless networks so get ready to pay big money compared to US. But it will be cheaper to pay Canadian Wireless CEO criminals here than to go international roaming on Verizon.
    Maybe I should mention...

I'm only going to be there for three and a half days.
    02-19-12 08:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD