01-11-12 07:54 AM
29 12
tools
    Hi everyone,

I've just got the 9900 here in the UK & was wandering what the general view on installing a screen protector on the Bold 9900.

I've tried the Case-Mate Anti-Glare & it makes the screen awful & then tried a SGP but they were a disaster as there was a problem with both screen shields.

Don't know if I can be bothered trying any more.

Are people using a screen shield or leaving it bare.

Thanks for your time.
    01-07-12 03:36 PM
    In my use, I find there is no need.
    I use it pretty messy though. I am lucky
    01-07-12 04:04 PM
    I am using a screen protector (cheap one too) because I am rough sometimes. It would take me one rub to mess my screen up, so I at least have a little peace.
    01-07-12 04:08 PM
    I have the screen protector that came with my Otterbox installed. I also have some backups just in case.

Fulfilling my Crackberry addiction from my 9930 via Tapatalk
    01-07-12 04:16 PM
    No screen protectors for me. 2 9900's and haven't any scratches. If you're a bricklayer then get one.

I work in my home office and not clumsy so don't need one.

*Why don't people get protectors for their Rolex watches ??? Same thing !!!
    Last edited by Ben1232; 01-07-12 at 04:26 PM.
    01-07-12 04:19 PM
    if you keep it holstered there is no need as fingernails cant effectively scratch glass.
    01-07-12 04:24 PM
    i had my phone about a week before installing an ishieldz protector...the next day i dropped it in my work van n bounced it screen 1st off my hobnailed steel toe! there's an almost imperceptible divot in the screen protector, but every time i see it it just reminds me why i put it on, and i cringe a little thinking what could have been! otterbox is on it's way, too after that experience
    01-07-12 04:25 PM
    As a highly clumsy person, the first thing I did was get a screen protector. It wasn't by any means a good one, but I just feel better knowing something is there.

Also, I never considered getting one for my watch, but I may need one of those too.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    01-07-12 04:25 PM
    if you don't like anti-glare, why don't you just get regular? the regular screen protectors are clear so that you do not notice that it is on!
    01-07-12 04:39 PM
    I like my berry naked. I just use a leather holster when it's in my pocket.
    01-07-12 04:45 PM
    01-07-12 06:15 PM
    Yup, you would definitely need a screen protector to protect your phone screen. I'm also using the bodyguardz shield for the sides and battery door.
    01-07-12 06:21 PM
    Get them and use them. I change mine every month. Just habit.

My old Storm 2 screen after 2 years was perfect as I never had a screen protector off it. My wifes HTC looked a lot worse cos she didn't use them.

Intravenously expelled from my BlackBerry 9900 using mindcontrol.
    01-07-12 06:56 PM
    I have a clarivue crystal clear. Fits perfectly, smooth as the glass. I generally forget its even on there. The two things I look for are crystal clear surface, as the orange peel of Zaag and similar brands bothers me, and static adhesion, as I'm too impatient to wait for the solution-based screens to dry.

Sent from my Big Red BlackBerry 9930
    Last edited by kjjb0204; 01-07-12 at 07:12 PM.
    01-07-12 07:06 PM
    It's a personal choice, so do what's best for you.

Personally, I use Zagg InvsibleShield and love it. Along with Otterbox Commuter series case, I feel my 9900 is protected against almost anything. Phone is still slim enough to put in front pocket (I don't use a holster).

I work in an office and am careful with my BB, but you never know when it's gonna take a four foot dive off a counter-top (like mine did today).

Try several different ones, until you find one you like (or don't and leave it naked). Compared to the several hundred dollars you spent on the phone, spending a few dollars more to find (or not find) a screen protector isn't a big deal.
    01-07-12 07:28 PM
    Why not?

I always purchase the ones on ebay that are about $1.

Just search bold 9900 screen protector.
    01-07-12 07:58 PM
    Nah, don't install one. Just wait for your screen to get scratched up and feel the remorse everytime you look at your phone.
    01-07-12 08:27 PM
    My previous phone was a Storm 2. The Verizon store installed (sold) me a screen protector for it, but after about 2 or3 weeks I peeled it off because it was cloudy and scratched. I never put another back on that phone. Today after having the phone in my pocket for 18 months you would be hard pressed to find a scratch. Today I have a 9930 naked, not a hint of a scratch (only month old). But given my experience with my S2 I am confident I will be just fine saving my money. As others state though, if you work construction or such I would rethink my approach.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-07-12 09:16 PM
    I always leave the original screen protectors on my BB's. I just grab a scalpel and carefully slice the little tab off and I'm good to go.
    01-07-12 10:04 PM
    bought a 5 pack of Anti-Glare matte finish screen protectors off ebay. Absolutely love it. Helps with the glare outside and doesn't leave smudge marks on my screen.!
    01-07-12 10:13 PM
    For those on the cheap, a nice pre-cut piece of clear tape will do swell. No shipping or payment required. Just involves your own skill and steady hands to layer it.

I have a spare screen protector ready in the case the current one (precut from my brother's old iphone protector he threw in the trash, luckily I spotted and grabbed it out), it does the job nicely.
    01-07-12 11:51 PM
    I gotta tell ya, in all my years of buying screen protectors, I've found the Steinheil Ultra Series the best out there. The 9900/9930 protector is literally crystal clear, does not diminish from the brightness at all, and is tough as nails. Also, as an individual with Mediterranean roots, I tend to be oily all the time, and these protectors prevent my cheek smear after talking on the phone.

Just my 2 cents...
    01-10-12 07:15 AM
    I gotta tell ya, in all my years of buying screen protectors, I've found the Steinheil Ultra Series the best out there. The 9900/9930 protector is literally crystal clear, does not diminish from the brightness at all, and is tough as nails. Also, as an individual with Mediterranean roots, I tend to be oily all the time, and these protectors prevent my cheek smear after talking on the phone.

Just my 2 cents...
    Steinheils are not cheap but they are fantastic, you cannot even tell you have a screen protector, the texture is better for using a touch screen, and they are WAY easier to clean than the naked glass.
    01-10-12 07:53 PM
    Not using a screenprotector at the moment but I think it's better to get one soon. Better safe than sorry
    01-11-12 01:58 AM
    I would for sure. A pack of 10 off Ebay for around 1.50
    01-11-12 02:04 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD