Hello everyone,

I'm considering getting a new blackberry to be my main phone and Im very interested in picking up the bold 9900. The phone looks awesome to me, but I wanted to get some advice and ask how is the OS running on it? What are the cons of it? How usefull is the touch screen?

I could care less about the app ecosystem, I'm not huge app guy or mobile gamer,. Anyways any thoughts or advice on using this​phone in 2017 is greatly appreciated thanks
    02-26-17 03:28 PM
    Call your carrier and ask if they still have BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) available. If not, don't buy a 9900.
    02-26-17 03:35 PM
    3G with BIS... way too slow once you have used LTE.
    02-26-17 03:45 PM
    Yeah definitely make sure you have BIS but on H plus speeds it's actually pretty fast. Depending on where you are I guess. Fast Wi-Fi is nice at home too. Here's a video I made 4 months ago, I actually did a series of videos but this might give you some idea of what it's capable of and the speeds, etc.

02-26-17 04:21 PM
    What device are you using presently ?

Why do you want to change ?

What apps do need for the Bold ?
    02-26-17 04:31 PM
    I just decided to get a 9900 too, I'm on AT&T in the US. Still have a Priv for apps that I'll use on WiFi but the Bold will be my primary device...can't wait!
    rayporsche likes this.
    02-27-17 09:10 PM
    My Bold is my favorite kindle ereader. That's the principle use for it, although I do watch videos from time to time.

As I use it offline, one charge lasts me a whole week. I love that!
    02-27-17 09:27 PM
    Yeah definitely make sure you have BIS but on H plus speeds it's actually pretty fast. Depending on where you are I guess. Fast Wi-Fi is nice at home too. Here's a video I made 4 months ago, I actually did a series of videos but this might give you some idea of what it's capable of and the speeds, etc.

Thanks a lot for the input, your videos were very helpful in seeing the functionality of using the bold 9900 today. My carrier T-Mobile does have bis so I'm really considering picking one of these up
    02-28-17 05:09 AM
    What device are you using presently ?

Why do you want to change ?

What apps do need for the Bold ?
    Currently I'm using a combo of LG v10 with my old school blackberry 8320

I'm not really changing much since I still use a legacy device. I really like using my old curve and want to try using a bold. Honestly in reality I don't use many apps on my LG, it's really more like a toy. I have more time waster games and radio apps which I don't use that often anymore. The only apps that I need for any Blackberry legacy device would be BBM, which I use as a lot already with my current phones. I have simple needs I dont care too much for social media apps, I do use fb and Twitter but I don't need an app for those since there all web based.
    02-28-17 05:42 AM
    You don't care for apps hey this phone is for you.
    Primary phone and texting use with some email on BIS plan it's a great phone.
    Other than that it's painfully slow and lacks a lot of functionality with phones 6-7 years newer.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 05:53 AM
    Currently I'm using a combo of LG v10 with my old school blackberry 8320

I'm not really changing much since I still use a legacy device. I really like using my old curve and want to try using a bold. Honestly in reality I don't use many apps on my LG, it's really more like a toy. I have more time waster games and radio apps which I don't use that often anymore. The only apps that I need for any Blackberry legacy device would be BBM, which I use as a lot already with my current phones. I have simple needs I dont care too much for social media apps, I do use fb and Twitter but I don't need an app for those since there all web based.
    I say go for it !
    It is a great phone.
    I carry it and a Classic .
    ( which was supposed to replace it )
    But it just shines !
    I just can't put it away !

Not the only one either, it seems - that thinks it to be a good device !
    Just ask these other guys here !!

Posted via CB10
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    02-28-17 06:27 AM
    If you like your Curve, you'll love the 9900. Especially the boot up time afforded by its 1.2GHz processor. Since you're already accustomed to touch interface on the LG, 99's touch should be good for you, also. Curve to Bold keyboard will be a marvelous improvement, once you grow in to it, also.

I'm also a big fan of dual carry. Usually carrying a spare Classic to assist my primary 99. But frequently substituting a D60 in place of Classic to assist 99. Especially for movie watching... Who uses a PKB on a device while its displaying movies? Who needs acres of screen estate while typing messages on a PKB 99? Dual carry let's me do BOTH while providing unmatched total screenestate AND multitasking efficiency!

You're on a productive path. 9900 is a true upgrade from Curve. I'd say "go for it".
    02-28-17 07:26 AM
    +1 for dual carry, that's the approach which has kept me happily using my 9900 as my main device. The 9900 does all the work, my Wileyfox Swift (Android) is my plaything, used to consume media and for more content rich web browsing. More often than not I leave the Wileyfox at home - who needs all those distactions, life is too busy, and short
    Praganad and rayporsche like this.
    02-28-17 12:58 PM
    Bold 9900 and Passport the best choice in the life for me!!!

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 01:05 PM
    +1 for dual carry, that's the approach which has kept me happily using my 9900 as my main device. The 9900 does all the work, my Wileyfox Swift (Android) is my plaything, used to consume media and for more content rich web browsing. More often than not I leave the Wileyfox at home - who needs all those distactions, life is too busy, and short
    agreed!
    03-03-17 09:11 AM
    You don't care for apps hey this phone is for you.
    Primary phone and texting use with some email on BIS plan it's a great phone.
    Other than that it's painfully slow and lacks a lot of functionality with phones 6-7 years newer.

Posted via CB10
    I don't see how the 9900 is slow if you're not using a lot of apps. The newest phones in the market still do not match the Bold for speed and convenience in the messaging department. No lag whatsoever in the OS.

The browser is not hot, but passable in combination with Opera. It works if you're like me and just need to get directions, phone numbers, hours, etc from businesses.
    The HTML email issue is annoying but doesn't affect any non-marketing type email that I've ever had to deal with.

There are many modern phones which lack the features and functionality that I've gotten used to having on the Bold 9900!
    idssteve and rayporsche like this.
    03-05-17 10:54 AM
    I don't see how the 9900 is slow if you're not using a lot of apps. The newest phones in the market still do not match the Bold for speed and convenience in the messaging department. No lag whatsoever in the OS.

The browser is not hot, but passable in combination with Opera. It works if you're like me and just need to get directions, phone numbers, hours, etc from businesses.
    The HTML email issue is annoying but doesn't affect any non-marketing type email that I've ever had to deal with.

There are many modern phones which lack the features and functionality that I've gotten used to having on the Bold 9900!
    100% and I have shown many times that even on the BB browser it is plenty fast

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    idssteve likes this.
    03-05-17 11:50 PM
    100% and I have shown many times that even on the BB browser it is plenty fast
    Strange but true! I usually sit next to iPhone SE user and when something comes up, we're both hitting the 'net to find info and answers. I just realized yesterday that not once have I ever been hampered by my Bold.
    I don't ever recall a time when the iPhone got the answer and I'm left waiting embarassingly for my Bold to finally get the page loaded. In fact, if I had to guess, the Bold beats the iPhone at least half the time. Sometimes I wonder if it's the speed at which I can bring up the browser and type in what I need.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    MarkyZ10 and rayporsche like this.
    03-06-17 02:06 PM
    Thank you for everyones input, I was about to get one but then I found out that my carrier(Tmobile) no longer provides BIS for the plan that im on. It was pretty sneaky but now Im looking into a BB10 device, still good! but was looking forward to the bold, thanks again everyone!
    03-06-17 02:26 PM
    Q10. Still form factor and pkb as bold.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    rayporsche likes this.
    03-06-17 08:07 PM
    Twitter through the browser today never looked better!

Attached Thumbnails Should I get a 9900?-tapaupload0.jpg  
    03-07-17 05:29 PM
    Honestly I wouldn't get one. Depending on your needs, productivity wise it's horrible. For exemple there is no apps available to access cloud storages.. you have to rely on the web browser which, I bet would be a pain.

You need BIS, which telecoms are phasing out. If they still do have it, pricing are horrible on it and you probably won't get feature modern plans has.

So in conclusion if you just want the phone for nostalgia, yeah go for it.

But if you need to be productive, get an iphone or a shiny android device (Blackberry just announced the KeyOne, you should heck that out)
    03-08-17 09:22 PM
    Like I said I never said it was as productive and don't ever expect it to be as productive as a NEW device. Should I say that a third time?

No problem with BIS on my end I phoned Rogers a couple of months ago I got the right person she knew how to send the service books,problem solved. So in my experience its NOT as doom and gloom as you say it is. That was the first time ever that I've had to phone about service books because sending them myself always worked in the past. BIS is just fine for now in Saskatchewan but do you honestly think I am oblivious that it will not be there forever?

I would fully disagree that typing an email on BBOS is not as productive. I say it is more productive for that purpose and this OS was fully designed for email and texting in mind. I can do emails a lot faster on this device than an iPhone. So perhaps to each their own then Huh? Do you think that it is possible that some people might do better with a different type of device? So perhaps to each their own then EH. I am more "productive" on a PKB because I DEFINE productivity as also being able to type accurately. I can type more accurately on PKB than a VKB, your cloud syncing aside. I am much more frustrated on a VKB even with the spell check and auto correct ON. Technology doesn't always work the way we all want it to. We all define "productivity" in different ways. Do you see me going to the BB10 forums and dictating BBOS is more productive for emails and general texting? No, you don't. So don't tell me I cannot be as productive for WHAT I DO on any device MMMMMM K? Thanks.

Yeah I'm just answering the OP also.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 03-08-17 at 11:23 PM.
    03-08-17 10:42 PM
    Had been using the app on my 9900 but tried the mobile site after seeing this post and now I prefer it. Scrolling is smoother and over appearance is cleaner.
    03-08-17 11:14 PM
    Had been using the app on my 9900 but tried the mobile site after seeing this post and now I prefer it. Scrolling is smoother and over appearance is cleaner.
    Yeah I like the mobile site too. I think the letters are a little smaller on Mobile and with contacts it can be an issue, but also that we can change settings and have more control on mobile can definitely be a plus.

EDIT: not sure if you are a Twitter user or not but even despite how perfect the native Twitter app is, I find that with the mobile site, notifications come in a LOT faster than on the app. Plus again....the settings are all there.

03-08-17 11:21 PM
35 12