Just wondering if I should do a device switch with my 9780 to 9900 or do a simple back up and restore? Any bugs I should worry about?
    08-19-11 04:23 PM
    Device switch

Ignore the naysayers It Works flawless and transfers everything over. Even most of my apps got transferred

Quick & Easy. Keeps all your BBM contacts too

Just make sure you have the newest BB Desktop Software. Mine is 6.1.something...
    08-19-11 04:33 PM
    Back up and restore.
    Some apps from OS6 dont play nice with OS7. App world freezes and so does BB protect.
    Save yourself the hassle of having to wipe and reloading the OS.
    08-19-11 04:33 PM
    two answers .... two different ways ...
    08-19-11 04:36 PM
    I was worried about apps from os 6 messing up the new handset. Not bothered about re-downloading my apps. I can do it in 40 minutes or so. Just wanna be safe.
    08-19-11 04:37 PM
    ...and from OS5 to OS7?! Switch or Backup&Restore?!?!?!?
    08-19-11 04:39 PM
    I started clean and added 1 app at a time that was optimized already for OS7 to keep my new device clean. If I know the app wont work I will not install it and my contacts I did from the backup created on VZW with the backup app.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 08-20-11 at 09:04 AM.
    dehrlich01 likes this.
    08-19-11 05:43 PM
    I did backup restore because switch devices from the 9530 to the 9930 caused a fatal error on the 9930
    08-19-11 05:49 PM
    If you do not care about moving apps I would just use BlackBerry Protect. I like to install apps fresh.

Plus I do not store emails or text msgs on my device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-11 05:55 PM
    I used device switch and because some of my apps were incompatible it stopped midway and I ended up having to reinstall the OS (vzw doesn't have the stock os7 available yet) that was leaked on Tuesday. I would start fresh and not risk it. Use blackberry protect and you'll be straight.

08-19-11 07:22 PM
    You guys make things a lot more complicated than it needs to be

Why bother screwing around backing up, restoring, and manually adding programs and BBM contacts etc again wasting hours of your time when you could do it automatically with the device switch wizard.

RIM designed it to work with their blackberries. Just make sure you have the latest BB desktop software, plug in your devices, and it works... Go figure...

Its quick and easy.

Worst case you'll have to delete everything on it (easy with DM), and do it all manually like these guys are saying. But I would put money on the guess that device transfer will work for you. Going from OS5 to OS7 I probably wouldn't swap the apps too because of the vast differences, but OS6 & 7 are virtually the same
    08-19-11 11:01 PM
    but OS6 & 7 are virtually the same
    That is a bunch of pure BS!!!

An app running on OS 6 is in no way a guarantee that it will work on OS 7

I HAD to update the following apps to OS 7 supported ones before they worked, go figure

- BerryWeather

- BerryReader

- BeBuzz

- FileScout

- RepligoReader (a PDF File Reader)

- What'sApp

- AngryFarms

- QuickLaunch

And many people I know ran into huge problems and had to actually wipe the device wasting even more time than just resetting up their options and installing a few apps manually!! And this includes one of the mods here (pkcable)

If it worked for you, don't go convincing people that this is the ideal method! After all, they are going through the hassle of setting up the settings of their phone and installing theirs apps, NOT YOU
    08-20-11 02:04 AM
    I went from 9650 to 9930 and did device switch and lost a lot of info so I was glad I did a back up just in case prior.

I recommend backup/restore and download latest update for all apps on your current device first then back those up with bbsak. For example tapatalk won't download from mobihand but if I load the cod with bbsak it works just fine since I updated it prior.

Hope this helps. Hit me up on twitter if you have any questions.
    @Flash0p

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-20-11 02:12 AM
    You guys make things a lot more complicated than it needs to be

Why bother screwing around backing up, restoring, and manually adding programs and BBM contacts etc again wasting hours of your time when you could do it automatically with the device switch wizard.

RIM designed it to work with their blackberries. Just make sure you have the latest BB desktop software, plug in your devices, and it works... Go figure...

Its quick and easy.

Worst case you'll have to delete everything on it (easy with DM), and do it all manually like these guys are saying. But I would put money on the guess that device transfer will work for you. Going from OS5 to OS7 I probably wouldn't swap the apps too because of the vast differences, but OS6 & 7 are virtually the same
    Well it seems from your post that you haven't switched from OS6 to OS7. I have, and app world stopped working. As you said it was not a biggie. I used BBSAK to wipe, reload and restore my contacts, mails etc and then got the apps on board as well.
    The OP asked for a suggestion, and I gave him one from my experience. If he is ok with having to potentially wipe his device then he can try switching as well.
    08-20-11 07:00 AM
    I tried both a backup file, and DM device switch. Both 'seemed' to work for me at first, but the email accounts didn't show up in the setup wizzard, I would receive emails, but couldn't send, gmail sync services were screwed up, and odd problems with apps. Save yourself the hassle of eventually doing a device wipe and starting from scratch anyway, and just manually enter the stuff. 6 and 7 are not compatible, and the kinks aren't worked out just yet, but I'm sure they will be eventually.

Nerazzurro and poloandpearls like this.
    08-20-11 08:19 AM
    you're moving from different OS and totally different phone. best to start fresh imo
    08-20-11 08:24 AM
    I just switched from a 9800 to a 9900 and initially tried using the DM wizard. The process corrupted my OS and in the end I had to reinstall a frsh OS and start from scratch. Too bad, cause I can`t find any other way of getting my old e-mails onto the 9900.
    poloandpearls likes this.
    08-20-11 03:20 PM
    you're moving from different OS and totally different phone. best to start fresh imo
    +1 what they say ^
    08-20-11 05:26 PM
    Soooo I'm looking to the same thing, with a twist. And rather than start a new thread I decided to post on this one after searching..

I have a 9700 on os 6 and just got my 9900 (STOKED!), I wanna move my files (pics, texts, bbm, etc but not email tho as I use the gmail app) but problem is my laptop where DM is died. Can I do the backup and restore via bb protect app on my phone?? Or should I just wait until next week to do this when I get my pc back.
    And sounds like I'm leaning towards the back and restore method just to be safe..

Thanks!

09-16-11 01:57 PM
    Soooo I'm looking to the same thing, with a twist. And rather than start a new thread I decided to post on this one after searching..

I have a 9700 on os 6 and just got my 9900 (STOKED!), I wanna move my files (pics, texts, bbm, etc but not email tho as I use the gmail app) but problem is my laptop where DM is died. Can I do the backup and restore via bb protect app on my phone?? Or should I just wait until next week to do this when I get my pc back.

And sounds like I'm leaning towards the back and restore method just to be safe..

Thanks!

I would recomment doing a backup on pc just in case but use Blackberry Protect to backup contacts/calender/texts/email etc and do a clean install then restore with Blackberry Protect. If that fails restore from your backup.

Reason I would do this is so that app permissions and anything that isn't fully compatable doesn't get moved over and cause glitches or problems for you. Redownload all apps from appworld or mobihand and make sure they are os7 compatable.

I'm not going to lie the first time I did it I did device switch cause I was impatiant but few days later wiped and restored how I just said too and phone runs smoother.

Hope this helps anf enjoy the new phone!

09-16-11 02:07 PM
    Great, thanks sooo much! I guess I will have to wait to fully enjoy the power of the 9900..

Just to be clear, could I back my 9700 and then restore on the 9900 but wait to DM backup my 9700 until next week when I get my pc back? Like if I restore on the 9900 will that in any way affect my 9700? (Because the computer backup won't take place until next week) .. Hope that question is clear, thanks!

09-16-11 02:37 PM
    Safe approach is back everything up using DM. Try the device switch. If you have issues, wipe the device and just restore your data, less all the apps (selective restore).
    09-16-11 02:41 PM
    Great, thanks sooo much! I guess I will have to wait to fully enjoy the power of the 9900..

Just to be clear, could I back my 9700 and then restore on the 9900 but wait to DM backup my 9700 until next week when I get my pc back? Like if I restore on the 9900 will that in any way affect my 9700? (Because the computer backup won't take place until next week) .. Hope that question is clear, thanks!

You can do the backup/restore via Blackberry Protect now and do the DM backup later. Nothing is taken off the 9700 during the switch that way.

09-16-11 02:46 PM
    That's what I was pretty sure was true, but thanks for confirming. I wanted to be sure before officially finally moving as much over as I can .. 9900 here I coooooooooooome!

Thanks again. I love this site

09-16-11 02:50 PM
    Just wondering if I should do a device switch with my 9780 to 9900 or do a simple back up and restore? Any bugs I should worry about?
    I used Device Switch upgrading to the 9930 from a Storm2 9550. It did NOT work properly. App World and my email setup for BIS locked up and would not work properly. I did not have to wipe the device to fix everything though. I just went to login to BIS via the web on my pc and it prompted me to change something right away which cleared up the issues. I can't remember what exactly but if you look at the threads addressing the App World/BlackBerry ID issue I posted what I did at the time there if you end up in that boat.

My advice is to use Device Switch but exclude the apps. Then once you sign into App World via your BB you can re-install all the apps again. They will be there waiting.

As for apps you did not get through App World you can do those separately. I had to do this for all the apps I purchased through Crackberry. You just have to update your PIN in your account and also request the new version for OS7 for those apps that have a compatible OS7 version. All the apps I needed this for have been updated for OS7 now.
    gwzach likes this.
    09-16-11 03:09 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD