Hey guys, I know someone selling a bricked bold 9900 for a dirt cheap price to me. Is it worth buying it? Like is it fixeable? It has no signs of life, eg no red light etc. I know it was bricked cause I know the person so it has no water damage or anything. Is it worth it?
    01-14-12 11:37 PM
    Hey guys, I know someone selling a bricked bold 9900 for a dirt cheap price to me. Is it worth buying it? Like is it fixeable? It has no signs of life, eg no red light etc. I know it was bricked cause I know the person so it has no water damage or anything. Is it worth it?
    Do you think you can bring it back to life, If not then the answer is NO.
    01-14-12 11:42 PM
    Its 120$ lol that's why I'm so interested
    01-14-12 11:46 PM
    Its 120$ lol that's why I'm so interested
    That's one expensive paper weight.
    01-14-12 11:48 PM
    if it is the same provider with your company, you can easily do a warranty, if not you can bring it into a store and fix the problem.
    01-14-12 11:48 PM
    Ya exactly
    01-15-12 12:00 AM
    U can buy it cheap and do a one to one swap for a brand new one. But again it depends on the provider

Btw, Does rim have international warranty of 2years from manufacturing date?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-15-12 12:44 AM
    I'm on rogers network. How would I do a warranty fix or exchange? I'm not the original owner lol
    01-15-12 01:33 AM
    I doubt they will exchange another persons phone under warranty for you. Usually the warranty is voided once it is activated under someone else.
    01-15-12 01:41 AM
    if you are from rogers and the phone is from rogers. what they will do is give you 2 options. One is the advance replace which is they will send you a phone and you send the bricked one back or you bring it into a rogers store and they will fix it for you within 7-10 days. the advance placement option cost 35 dollars though. Also, you can just tell them to put the IMEI under you account and since the phone only came out in august, you will still have warranty.
    01-15-12 01:51 AM
    Brother you will have a very expensive paper weight.
    01-15-12 01:59 AM
    If you can get it for under 100 & try reloading a newer os, worth it!
    01-15-12 05:36 AM
    I doubt they will exchange another persons phone under warranty for you. Usually the warranty is voided once it is activated under someone else.
    Rogers offers wty based on IMEI. Irrespective of who purchased the device.

The rep inputs the IMEI into the system, which will auto-populate the original purchase date. So long as you are withing the period, you are good. Some reps may give attitude about it not being purchased under your account, but they are obligated to process it regardless. I could be mistaken, but until a year ago I did this personally. I doubt they changed their policy on it of late.

...One is the advance replace which is they will send you a phone and you send the bricked one back or you bring it into a rogers store and they will fix it for you within 7-10 days. the advance placement option cost 35 dollars though....
    I didn't know about that cost, or option.
    01-15-12 06:43 AM
    You know what ? NO don't buy it now
    RIM said they are working on the fix to the bricked 9900 when the fix is available it would be on the cb homepage so if you visit here frequently you would know when its out
    When the fix is available quickly contact the person and inform him that you want to buy the bricked 9900 , buy it fix it , use it or sell it as fairly used

That's exactly what am gonna do, gonna buy all the bricked 9900 in my city fix all of them sell it and made profit
    01-15-12 07:41 AM
    You know what ? NO don't buy it now
    RIM said they are working on the fix to the bricked 9900 when the fix is available it would be on the cb homepage so if you visit here frequently you would know when its out
    When the fix is available quickly contact the person and inform him that you want to buy the bricked 9900 , buy it fix it , use it or sell it as fairly used

That's exactly what am gonna do, gonna buy all the bricked 9900 in my city fix all of them sell it and made profit
    A bricked phone is just that, a brick... it's totally unrecoverable.

RIM are working on a software fix to STOP the phones from bricking, not to revive already bricked phones. That can't be done.

Chances are they've already done that, and the fix is currently in the latest OS builds. If you think that any sort of announcement will be made by RIM that this has been achieved, then think again... that will never happen!

In short, don't buy a bricked phone, ever.
    01-15-12 07:51 AM
    Interesting thread..
    My opinion is don't buy if its bricked, but if its nuked go ahead.
    01-15-12 10:26 AM
    most probably the person who is selling you the 9900 has tries every thing to make it work but has not succeeded hence he is passing it off to you. if i were you i wouldn't go near it, if you want to good looking paper weight then that's a totally different thing
    01-15-12 10:31 AM
    Lol, he hasn't even syncd it with dm that's why I have a good feeling about it
    01-15-12 11:44 AM
    And I have a friend who owns a phone shop, who could possibly fix it for cheap lol
    01-15-12 11:44 AM
    buy it, if it don't come back to life sell it for parts lol
    01-15-12 11:48 AM
    That's what I'm planning on lol
    01-15-12 12:07 PM
    if you are from rogers and the phone is from rogers. what they will do is give you 2 options. One is the advance replace which is they will send you a phone and you send the bricked one back or you bring it into a rogers store and they will fix it for you within 7-10 days. the advance placement option cost 35 dollars though. Also, you can just tell them to put the IMEI under you account and since the phone only came out in august, you will still have warranty.
    And what Rogers will also do is review the account to see when and how the device was purchased by the OP, if they don't find the sales transaction they will search for the IMEI and review the original account holders purchase, then advise that the original owner will need to call in to initiate the warranty exchange.
    01-15-12 12:17 PM
    Yay that kinda sucks lol. Well if I'm the current owner idk how that would work
    01-15-12 12:33 PM
    A bricked phone is just that, a brick... it's totally unrecoverable.
    Yeah..not sure why people use the term 'brick'. Brick means dead, not fixable. If it's fixable, then you don't have a bricked device.

The 9900 is recoverable as some posts here have indicated.
    01-15-12 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD