Hi guys,

I have been using the Blackberry Bold 9900 since January of this year. After a month of with the new Bold, my letter button "r" stopped working, so I brought it back to my carrier and they gave me a brand new one. About 2 months ago my letter "a" button is starting to malfunction, when I press the button, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. 2 weeks ago, my space bar is having the same issue, I was thinking of getting a new keyboard replacement instead of having the whole phone replaced. Do you guys think that replacing the keyboard would solve the problem? Please advise! Thanks crackberry nation!
    08-20-12 01:38 AM
    No issues w/my first 9930 (about a year into it) until a few weeks ago. Spacebar becoming erratic. Sometimes gives me no space, sometimes gives me a double-space. Annoying as all . I'm told it may be a crushed dome key (or was it key dome?) or somesuch. Might try to replace if someone can point the way to do it w/o screwing-up the rest of an otherwise great phone!

Sent from a mysterious device beyond your wildest imagination...
    08-20-12 02:32 AM
    OP, your still under warranty if you have had it since January. Get your carrier to sort it out.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-20-12 03:30 AM
    Sounds like a bad batch of keyboards. If it is under warranty, you have litt
    E choice but to get it replaced again. RIM is loved for it's keyboard, you would think . . . . .
    08-20-12 04:04 AM
    Such a pain in the .... But oh well. New unit again(:
    08-20-12 05:20 AM
    mine experienced the same thingie. i found a fast and great fix : i removed the battery and pressed all the keys from left to right and right to left ( with all my hand) a few times. now it works like day one, and i did this 2 months ago. i thought that they probably moved or lifted a bit when i sat on it
    08-20-12 05:38 AM
    I practically use my 9930 as a computer. The keypad gets a ridiculous workout every work day. (I love to walk around with only my phone rather than files and a notebook computer)

This thread made me worry about the prospect of a broken keyboard. I bought my phone outright from a guy in this forum, so I have no warranty goodness.

I checked youtube for ways to replace the keyboard. It looks incredibly simple to replace. Three T5 screws and you are done. You do have to peel off that bottom panel of the front of the phone, and that is held on with just a bit of glue... that's the main hassle.... the re-gluing, I guess.

Now, need to go check on the cost of a replacement keyboard should I need it.
    08-20-12 06:00 AM
    A replacement keyboard appears to be well under $20.
    08-20-12 06:01 AM
    yes, replacing your keyboard does fixed the problem.. I experience this too and that whenever I pressed the space button it shows as a full stop which was really annoying. I then went out and got a new trackpad + new keyboard, and my bold havent face any problems.

I'd suggest you getting a keyboard but you will lose your warranty like i did, so its up to you.

08-20-12 06:24 AM
    I practically use my 9930 as a computer. The keypad gets a ridiculous workout every work day. (I love to walk around with only my phone rather than files and a notebook computer)

This thread made me worry about the prospect of a broken keyboard. I bought my phone outright from a guy in this forum, so I have no warranty goodness.

I checked youtube for ways to replace the keyboard. It looks incredibly simple to replace. Three T5 screws and you are done. You do have to peel off that bottom panel of the front of the phone, and that is held on with just a bit of glue... that's the main hassle.... the re-gluing, I guess.

Now, need to go check on the cost of a replacement keyboard should I need it.
    Don't worry about the issue of the keyboard. I guess maybe I am just a heavy user, I do a lot of text messaging, bbm, and whatsapp. So maybe it has taken its toll on the keyboard? It's really an awesome device. I do everything on my bold as well! Cheers
    08-20-12 07:07 AM
    yes, replacing your keyboard does fixed the problem.. I experience this too and that whenever I pressed the space button it shows as a full stop which was really annoying. I then went out and got a new trackpad + new keyboard, and my bold havent face any problems.

I'd suggest you getting a keyboard but you will lose your warranty like i did, so its up to you.

Did you change the trackpad yourself? Cheers!
    08-20-12 07:08 AM
    I would have your carrier give you another replacement if its still under warranty.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-20-12 07:50 AM
    Don't replace keyboard. Just make carrier deal with it. We're not meant to be repairman.
    frifred likes this.
    08-20-12 08:52 AM
    Mine was purchased used....

So for those of us ebay/Craigslist/other used type buyers, we're on our own.

Judging from youtube videos, it does look incredibly simple. I don't know about the trackpad...didn't look at that process.
    08-20-12 05:55 PM
    Mine was purchased used....

So for those of us ebay/Craigslist/other used type buyers, we're on our own.

Judging from youtube videos, it does look incredibly simple. I don't know about the trackpad...didn't look at that process.
    For the trackpad it is fused together with the keyboard therefore once you chance the keyboard you actually change the trackpad as well(: cheers
    08-20-12 06:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD