So I finally gave in and ordered an unlocked Rogers from Canada off of ebay. I've been eligible for an upgrade with AT&T for awhile but my 9000 is on it's last legs and there's no way I could wait another 2-3 months.
    $789.00 with free shipping.
    I know...ouch.

Sooo, when it arrives is it really as simple as moving over my sim card and installing my backup into the new phone with BB manager?
    Is there anything else I need to do? Would a software upgrade be recommended?

It's due to arrive Tuesday. I'll report back if I receive an empty box
    08-21-11 12:06 AM
    Im interested in knowing if you can get VVM to work - I had no luck getting my 9780 (unlocked rogers) to get VVM.
    08-21-11 12:37 AM
    Yeah, move your stuff.. move your SIM.. you're good.. VVM will only work if you mess with the VVM .cods and put the AT&T OS VVM .cod on your device but that's neither here nor there.. get your other stuff moved first.

As for software upgrades, use it stock first -- see if you have issues, if not.. no sense messing with what ain't broke. I'm on Rogers and still stock, the leaked OS' thus far suck.
    08-21-11 12:53 AM
    thanks. i've never used vvm so that's not an issue.
    i've noticed a few people had problems moving over their data so hopefully it will go smoothly...i'll report back :-)
    08-21-11 08:45 AM
    You may need to input at&t apn settings in order to get the browser to work ..
    08-21-11 01:08 PM
    ok, so it arrived today and the box wasn't empty...a good sign

so, pop in my sim card,
    plug it in,
    run email setup,
    login in to bb manager and transfer over info from 9000...

does this all sound correct?
    am i missing anything i'll need to get it working with at&t?
    08-23-11 11:20 AM
    That's all I did with mine - no extra APN settings or anything. Worked like a charm!

As far as OS updates go, I didn't have great luck with .317 from a signal standpoint so went down to .296 today. Will see if there are any differences.
    08-23-11 12:37 PM
    Had a slight problem on first setup. It wanted my Blackberry ID/password but my BB ID was not an email address and it would only accept an email address as an ID.
    When I tried to login to att.blackberry.com it wouldn't let me because it saw I had a new device and hadn't transferred over my BB email yet.
    Hmmm...a relatively painless call in to AT&T got it all sorted out. The tech emailed me over a direct link to att.blackberry that didn't require logging in and I was able to transfer my account over to the new phone.
    Then I just setup a NEW BB ID and all was good.
    BOTH AT&T reps I spoke to were confused as to how I had a 9900...one of them kept insisting I was confused and actually had a Torch

When I first tried to restore my data Desktop Manager kept crashing.
    I uninstalled the old version I had (4.0) and installed the newest version and was able to connect, but when I tried to restore it looked like the Blackberry Backup folder on my PC was empty!
    I panicked a little but did a search on CB and saw a suggestion to search for the file on my PC. I did find all of my backup files and just dragged the most recent one into the proper folder (I guess the newer version of Desktop uses a different folder?) and was able to restore all my info.

So far all is groovy and I'm pretty much loving the new phone.
    I've had it on since fully charging it at around 7:00PM yesterday and left it on all night. Used it all day today (mainly e-mail and a few calls/light web surfing) and as of 8:00PM it still has 30% battery.

Feeling a LITTLE better about the premium price I paid - I really did need a new phone desperately and this is the one I wanted.

As my 80 year old mom would say, I'm a happy camper!
    08-24-11 07:05 PM
    you could backup for old device with Blackberry Protect and then use the same app to put your information on the new 9900.

enjoy, its an awesome phone
    08-24-11 08:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD