Hey folks, hope all is ok ... is there any app to set a password for the SD card? so if the phone is lost or stolen, even a PC won't unlock the SD !! this option is available in NOKIA without any apps

I'm attaching a screenshot for that

Blackberry default settings for the SD card ALLOW anybody to remove the card and browse it !!
    02-22-12 11:30 AM
    Hmm this is a very good question. I just checked BB Protect and they do Not have this option....might be something to have in the future.
    Check the App Store.
    02-22-12 02:57 PM
    Options - Security - Encryption. Built into the BB OS already. No app needed.
    02-22-12 03:02 PM
    Sounds good, I tried this and selected media files encryption but when I removed my SD card and try to read it in my PC everything was readable

In Nokia, when I set a password, it's impossible to remove the card and read it anywhere else ! this is what I'm looking for

Any hints to help ?

Thanks,
    Last edited by massa7; 02-22-12 at 03:48 PM.
    02-22-12 03:30 PM
    nokia encrypts the data on the SD card that's why. i saw an app to do, and i'll see if i can find it, but most of the time its more work to do it as it has to encrypt everything before its put onto the card and honestly anyone that wants to pull the info can decipher the card.
    02-22-12 03:51 PM
    Sounds good, I tried this and selected media files encryption but when I removed my SD card and try to read it in my PC everything was readable

In Nokia, when I set a password, it's impossible to remove the card and read it anywhere else ! this is what I'm looking for

Any hints to help ?

Thanks,
    It's an interesting question that you bring up. I checked under options/security and there is a checkbox to encrypt the media card. Question is...if that needs to be selected before the files are put on there....maybe anything previously there would still be readable? Anyone know?
    02-22-12 04:04 PM

Any hints to help ?

Thanks,

This could be a serious security issue. Did you write the media to your SD card via external reader or via USB card
    I would suggest that disable encryption, then you format the card on your blackberry first, and then enable encryption, and try to save some files or download something directly onto SD card (Save an attachment from an e-mail) as a basic test. See if you can read that attachment from your computer via READER not via USB. Because via USB, actually your BB might be decrypting it (since you MUST enter password before begin able to access files)

Of course, make sure you have password set!

Interested to hear the results..
    mssca likes this.
    02-22-12 04:05 PM
    It works !!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally thanks alot hyedipin
    mssca likes this.
    02-22-12 05:15 PM
    It works !!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally thanks alot hyedipin
    This means that the card must be in encrypted form BEFORE saving any files in order to have the encryption for the files in SD card.

Thank you for the information.
    02-22-12 07:28 PM
    mss-ca, how do you like that 9900? Happy with the decision of upgrading from 9700? Off topic, but I am considering the same, only difference being 9930 with Verizon...
    02-22-12 10:29 PM
    I personally would not encrypt the media card.

From my understanding encrypting your files on the SD card can be giving up your device password, from someone who really knows what they are doing.

ElcomSoft Recovers BlackBerry Device Passwords
    02-22-12 10:50 PM
    mss-ca, how do you like that 9900? Happy with the decision of upgrading from 9700? Off topic, but I am considering the same, only difference being 9930 with Verizon...
    Much better than Bold 9700 in terms of performance and responsiveness. But be warned that RIM is having huge problems in quality control. Before you buy, you may want to read my thread over here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...utions-648306/

I love the touch screen, bigger keyboard for faster typing and faster web browser. When I was on 9700, I had to reboot my phone once in every few days plus there were huge memory leaks when my 9700 was on OS 6. The leaked OS 7.1 on Bold 99xx is much much better.
    anon(1042122) likes this.
    02-22-12 11:01 PM
    Abigail, that's really scary...
    Elcomsoft Phone Password Breaker can try millions password combinations per second, recovering a fairly long 7-character password in a matter of hours.
    I wonder if RIM did anything to improve this in later OS's. How come this was never brought to daylight before. As far as I know, nobody uses 7 or longer character password on their blackberries. If it takes hours for 7 character, I guess it takes minutes for 4 character easy to type password..

Mss-ca, thanks a bunch, I did not notice that topic. Will certainly review it now. And that signature is awesome.. One step forward, two steps backwards; the Research in (slow) Motion.
    02-22-12 11:13 PM
    mss-ca,
    Where else is 9930 made besides Mexico, so I can ask the sales rep to go and look for one Made in.... I hope they clearly state them on the box as usual and it is not a super tiny font.
    02-22-12 11:37 PM
    Try encryption option. Encrypt SD card form settings. Symbian delights were different story. Sad to hear Symbian is almost dead now.
    02-22-12 11:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD