Hiya

I wasn't sure where to post this so am doing it here in the hope someone can help me!!
    I got a BB bold 9900 2 days ago, and everything been going very well so far, until tonight i connected my phone to my laptop and desktop software thingy (lol so technical of me!)....it asked me to update my version from 7.0 something or other to 7.0 something or other else!!....thinking this was gonna be ok to do, i did so, which involved backing up my files but i followed the instructions on screen and somethings gone terribly wrong (too dramatic?!)....For some reason there was a fatal error whilst updating my phone, I have no idea why as i didn't even go near the phone or laptop whilst it was doing it...anyway now Im left with no contacts, no app world or most of the apps i downloaded...i installed app world easily enough again and stuff, but I have a file on my computer that I cannot open at all....does anyone know why this is?? and are my contacts gone forever?? the phone works just fine and it does say that it updated even though it also told me there was a fatal error of some kind!!....I'm usually alright with stuff like this, but right now I'm baffled and i donlt wanna start messing about incase i mess something else up!!

Sorry for the long post and hope it makes sense....any advice would be much appreciated....
    11-23-11 07:07 PM
    Hi Kirsty, when you load a new Os it will usually not leave contacts and previous email addys intact. If you have a BB ID setup(the same as your App world login) you can easily restore all your Emails by just going to Options/Device/BB ID and logging in. Then follow the onscreen directions. You can download the current version of App world OTA (over the air) from blackberry.com. After you have done that do a battery pull or soft reboot (alt-right shift-delete) hold each down in sequence and it will reboot. Then open App world and go to the My World icon. You should see all the paid and free apps you previously had installed. Just click on each to reinstall. As for your contacts you should restore from your last backup. Now you should be right back where you were! Let us know how it goes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-11 07:56 PM
    Hi Kirsty, when you load a new Os it will usually not leave contacts and previous email addys intact. If you have a BB ID setup(the same as your App world login) you can easily restore all your Emails by just going to Options/Device/BB ID and logging in. Then follow the onscreen directions. You can download the current version of App world OTA (over the air) from blackberry.com. After you have done that do a battery pull or soft reboot (alt-right shift-delete) hold each down in sequence and it will reboot. Then open App world and go to the My World icon. You should see all the paid and free apps you previously had installed. Just click on each to reinstall. As for your contacts you should restore from your last backup. Now you should be right back where you were! Let us know how it goes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    A little clarification on the highlighted part for the OP: during the upgrade process the device is backed up to a temp loacation, wiped, upgraded, and then user data restored. There is an option to permanently delete user data during the process but this must be intentionally (or accidently) set by the user - it's not a default behavior. User data can be restored later if a backup was made beforehand. To recover your email and apps just follow the rest of albee's instructions.

Hiya

I wasn't sure where to post this so am doing it here in the hope someone can help me!!
    I got a BB bold 9900 2 days ago, and everything been going very well so far, until tonight i connected my phone to my laptop and desktop software thingy (lol so technical of me!)....it asked me to update my version from 7.0 something or other to 7.0 something or other else!!....thinking this was gonna be ok to do, i did so, which involved backing up my files but i followed the instructions on screen and somethings gone terribly wrong (too dramatic?!)....For some reason there was a fatal error whilst updating my phone, I have no idea why as i didn't even go near the phone or laptop whilst it was doing it...anyway now Im left with no contacts, no app world or most of the apps i downloaded...i installed app world easily enough again and stuff, but I have a file on my computer that I cannot open at all....does anyone know why this is?? and are my contacts gone forever?? the phone works just fine and it does say that it updated even though it also told me there was a fatal error of some kind!!....I'm usually alright with stuff like this, but right now I'm baffled and i donlt wanna start messing about incase i mess something else up!!

Sorry for the long post and hope it makes sense....any advice would be much appreciated....
    Hopefully you made a backup beforehand, if that unknown file has the extension ".ipd" that's a good start. Seems like the error you experienced installed the OS but couldn't do a data restore.
    Last edited by Reubechs; 11-23-11 at 09:53 PM.
    11-23-11 09:47 PM
    Always, Always make you own back up prior to doing something so invasive as a OS update. Sure the DM will make a back up as a temp file but what if. . . . .

Always make a backup. In fact make one very week, it only take a minute or so! With a good back up you would already be up and running.
    11-24-11 06:16 AM
    Hey, well I did do a back up through the blackberry protect thing but it only seemed to have backed up some of my contacts not all as i restored and did get everything back pretty much besides some contacts. When I updated it did ask if i wanted to make a back up file which would then be restored back to my phone...im presuming the file created was the one called Loaderbackup.ipd....but the file is locked? so im thinking when there was a fatal error, everything that was in that file wasnt restored back to my phone for some reason....i suppose now its not a major issue as i did get back stuff from the back up i did (god even im confused now lol)....but would like it if someone could explain why i cannot open the .ipd file?? and can i just delete it??

Thank you soo much for your advice by the way
    11-24-11 09:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD