On the day it was released I bought the 9900 off a friend that lives in Canada, a Rogers 9900 and unlocked it. The only thing that scared me was if something were to happen to the phone, thank god nothing has, I'd be up a crick without a paddle. Now I'm not available for an upgrade, so it would cost $550 for it, but is it dumb to try and sell the Rogers phone on eBay and get the AT&T 9900? Does the 9900 have any hardware solves that they might have had on the first batch of phones? Or do I just take my chances and roll with the Rogers branded phone.
    11-06-11 12:53 AM
    I'm in the same boat, and curious. I asked CX on Twitter, but haven't gotten an answer yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-11 01:55 AM
    Did you guys get VVM working?

AFAIK, the only issue with devices from carriers other than AT&T has been VVM not working.
    11-06-11 01:01 AM
    No VVM here. Just use youmail. Works fine for voicemails.

11-06-11 07:27 AM
    Why not Verizon Wireless? its way better than AT&T. Been with them for years and I've never been unhappy. Only one problem. I hated it when they made BIS limited. I love unlimited

11-06-11 07:46 AM
    Did you guys get VVM working?

AFAIK, the only issue with devices from carriers other than AT&T has been VVM not working.
    Now that the AT&T 9900 is released, I'd like to try to install the .cod file(s) for VVM from an AT&T 9900 on my unlocked Rogers 9900. I bet that would work.

BTW, You Mail is not a good substitute. It does not fully integrate with notifications and the voice mail files are not stored locally, meaning that you have to wait for them to download (if you even have data network coverage at the time).
    11-06-11 10:45 AM
    Why not Verizon Wireless? its way better than AT&T. Been with them for years and I've never been unhappy. Only one problem. I hated it when they made BIS limited. I love unlimited

Verizon is better that ATT at not droping calls, but the FauxG (H+) on ATT beats the crap out of the 3G from VZW. Not to mention simultaneous voice and data...

11-06-11 11:06 AM
    Now that the AT&T 9900 is released, I'd like to try to install the .cod file(s) for VVM from an AT&T 9900 on my unlocked Rogers 9900. I bet that would work.

BTW, You Mail is not a good substitute. It does not fully integrate with notifications and the voice mail files are not stored locally, meaning that you have to wait for them to download (if you even have data network coverage at the time).
    Bob......keep us updated on what you find with VVM. Would love to get this back on my unlocked Telus 9900.

11-06-11 12:40 PM
    im thinking about doing the same ,
    11-06-11 04:38 PM
    So there are several cod files with VVM and I am not sure which ones you would need. As for dumping the rogers 9900 I would keep what you have so long as you're not having problems with it. You can probably load the full .440 for att and I imagine you could get VVM working however that may not be what you want to do...

I will see if I can find a place to post the .440 SW for at&t so someone can download it and can extract what they need from it...

PG
    11-06-11 05:58 PM
    Thanks for the feedback PG. I'm for sure keeping my unlocked Telus 9900....it has been great, but I would love to get VVM working. Also, does anyone know how to get the 4G to show instead of H+? Thanks.

11-06-11 06:19 PM
    Thanks for the feedback PG. I'm for sure keeping my unlocked Telus 9900....it has been great, but I would love to get VVM working. Also, does anyone know how to get the 4G to show instead of H+? Thanks.

Some other folks in another thread were asking about the cod files for vvm which I am not 100% certain how to get to but I am uploading our ver of .440 right now and will post the link here as soon as its done uploading. If you load that ver you should be able to see it as 4G as well as be able to setup vvm...

PG
    11-06-11 06:31 PM
    So you would recommend just keeping the unlocked version then? Im just curious about the hardware changes - or are those changes not noticeable to the consumer?
    11-06-11 06:52 PM
    So you would recommend just keeping the unlocked version then? Im just curious about the hardware changes - or are those changes not noticeable to the consumer?
    If you're not having problems then more than likely you have a device that is issue free. There are a lot of folks that bought earlier devices that have issues so for those I would say if you can make the switch but if it aint broke don't break it...

PG
    11-06-11 06:56 PM
    If you load that ver you should be able to see it as 4G as well as be able to setup vvm...

PG
    I don't think that's correct PG.

The signal status symbol is determined by the device's Vendor ID and not by the OS build.

So a Rogers device will always display H+ because that's what Rogers want it to display. Installing an AT&T OS, using an AT&T SIM, and having AT&T service books will not change that symbol to 4G.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-06-11 07:05 PM
    I'm in the same boat, and curious. I asked CX on Twitter, but haven't gotten an answer yet.

Sorry my friend, I totally meant to reply to that and absolutely forgot. Please forgive me. Yes I would suggest switching to an AT&T branded 9900 for a few different reasons. )
    11-06-11 07:07 PM
    Phill you're correct.
    I picked up an ATT 9900 today. Upgraded to the latest .474
    My Roger's 9900 says H+ and ATT 4G.
    Think they did the same with vvm...
    vvm spotty and weird on Roger's but great on ATT 9900. Same exact OS install on both...

Todd
    11-06-11 07:22 PM
    I don't think that's correct PG.

The signal status symbol is determined by the device's Vendor ID and not by the OS build.

So a Rogers device will always display H+ because that's what Rogers want it to display. Installing an AT&T OS, using an AT&T SIM, and having AT&T service books will not change that symbol to 4G.

The radios internally are the same. When I received the test device with the early version of OS7 it said H+, the next OS build we got for testing it changed to 4G. If a device has been unlocked I think it will be driven by the OS.

I maybe wrong but if I am there is no harm in an at&t user that has an unlocked rogers device loading the at&t SW and reporting back...

Anyone game???

PG

Edit: OK my post crossed in cyberspace at the same time as the one above... I stand corrected Phill!
    Last edited by phonegeek; 11-06-11 at 07:27 PM.
    11-06-11 07:24 PM
    Sorry my friend, I totally meant to reply to that and absolutely forgot. Please forgive me. Yes I would suggest switching to an AT&T branded 9900 for a few different reasons. )
    Forgive what? I'm an absent-minded mofo, and we're busy people. :P Are you allowed to give us any details?
    11-06-11 07:30 PM
    So it seems that unlocked phones will only show H+ and not 4G. And also unlocked probably cannot use VVM.......

11-06-11 09:58 PM
    no point of getting the att version imo. And if anything you might compromise you nfc as we have no idea when/if enabled on att
    11-07-11 01:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD