how is the bold touch's screen size compared to the one of the bold 9000?
    from what I've seen, it has the same width, but it has a different height? to me, it looks like the screen has kind of a cube-form ... won't the photos taken on a bold touch look weird then? like all four sides of the photo have almost the same width and height, like a four sided figure?!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-11 05:18 AM
    Looks exactly the same?

03-14-11 08:03 AM
    the screen will be the drawback to this device. Ive saod it from day 1. This has fail written all over it but ya never know until you see it and use it.
    Yeah, definitely a fail, giving the bold form factor a nice boost in resolution and making it touchscreen into the bargain there's no way anyone would ever want one of those.
    03-14-11 01:30 PM
    according to GSMarena, the 9000 has a 2.6 inch screen and the touch bold has a2.8 inch screen.

I agree with Skeevecr. Yeah, the screen didn't get much bigger, but it's better resolution (640x480 vs. the older 480x320) and it's a touch screen.

I don't see how the screen is a fail at all. If you want a bigger screen, get a storm or iphone.
    chocolatechinadoll likes this.
    03-14-11 01:45 PM
    how is the bold touch's screen size compared to the one of the bold 9000?
    from what I've seen, it has the same width, but it has a different height? to me, it looks like the screen has kind of a cube-form ... won't the photos taken on a bold touch look weird then? like all four sides of the photo have almost the same width and height, like a four sided figure?!

According to the rumored spec, the Bold Touch screen is a hair bigger at 2.8", where the original Bold 9000 is listed a 2.6".

I'm very anxious to check this out. The touch screen won't be quite as fully-functional as a larger screen, but there are definitely times when it will be more convevient than the trackpad. I pulled out my old Bold once just a short time after getting the Torch and instinctively went to tap an icon on the screen to open an app and then tried to scroll with a swipe. Touch screen will definitely serve a purpose.

Photos will probably still take on the familiar 4x3 aspect ratio with a dark space on top and bottom when viewing them on the device itself.

Fail...ok. Try again Nostradamus.

03-14-11 01:54 PM
    say what you want about the photos, they look great on the internet which is something not a lot of phones can say. They're getting better, but you know what I mean. Personally, I think for the lack of pixels, (as compared to iPhone or the like) bb does a great job at photos.

and if you think this device will be a fail, don't buy it. easy as that.
    03-14-11 02:41 PM
    say what you want about the photos, they look great on the internet which is something not a lot of phones can say. They're getting better, but you know what I mean. Personally, I think for the lack of pixels, (as compared to iPhone or the like) bb does a great job at photos.

and if you think this device will be a fail, don't buy it. easy as that.
    Taking photos isn't about megapixels, everyone should know about the megapixel myth by now. iPhone 4 with it's 5 sensor takes better pictures than pretty much all phones with a 5 or 8 MP sensor. Has to do with other things. Hopefully RIM puts a great quality 5MP sensor.
    Last edited by dooodads; 03-14-11 at 04:33 PM.
    03-14-11 02:49 PM
    a 3.2" screen would have been perfect but when Rim gets around to releasing this phone, it will already be outdated.....when you see the sales of this phone, then you will see the masses use the term FAIL...
    How annoying. If you want a 3.2 screen size, get a full screen phone. Do you see why Android has so many devices in the market, as does RIM? Because you have people that want different sized phones. Though Apple might tell you otherwise, there is no universal perfect size for a phone or tablet computer. That is why they make different models.

Also, RIM doesn't make Superphones, they make entry level smartphones, and no phone is protected from the future. Should RIM stop making phones because of that reason? Would you be happy when they blow up and are destroyed? What do you honestly want them to do? Why did you come to the Bold forum to just say filth?

Anyway, its bigger than the original Bold so it can be touched, I like it
    03-14-11 04:25 PM
    i remember having an iphone 3GS and thinking the exact same thing. "THIS is supposed to be the phone of phones? Ugh."

Then when 4 came out i personally saw a vast improvement in everything i found lacking in previous models. Hopefully RIM will be the same way. Have one phone that keeps them from being a 2nd rate developer...
    03-14-11 04:25 PM
    the MP's are only important if you blow the pictures up above an 8x10. In all seriousness, I really want this device to be really good. I joke around about RIM failing but the bottom line is, its frustration. I have had a BB for the last 7 years and they have been great....until the market changed and needs have changed. Social media and web browsing is such a huge part of every day work life, that RIM realluy needs a device that can do it all. They give us that and they will control the business market and the consumer market. If the Bold touch isnt REALLY good, I think RIM will ultimately become a 2nd rate developer
    I'm with you bud, I dig at RIM because they kind of deserve it but that in no way means I don't want them to be successful and release that perfect blackberry.
    03-14-11 04:34 PM
    a 3.2" screen would have been perfect but when Rim gets around to releasing this phone, it will already be outdated.....when you see the sales of this phone, then you will see the masses use the term FAIL...
    There simply isn't a good way to include a larger screen in this form factor, if they did include one then it would have to be a horribly unbalanced device with a screen that is too tall, if you want a physical keyboard and a screen that size the torch is a better option.

The Bold Touch shouldn't be considered in isolation, it is part of a range of devices and it would be silly to compromise its benefits when doing so would intrude on another part of the range.
    03-14-11 07:19 PM
    As long as the Bold Touch gets an on-screen numeric pad for keying in numbers then it will be the perfect phone. That's my only beef about the 9700 - punching in numbers on the keyboard. I use the virtual numeric keypad on my Torch every day and it's just a lot easier than using the number keys on the physical keyboard. It just won't be the perfect mobile computer though.
    03-14-11 09:54 PM
    A bit bigger but not noticeable.

Actually the width is about the same, but a bit longer actually.

Guess you won't notice it anyway.
    03-15-11 12:03 AM
    Hey I love the look and specs of the new Bold.

BUT, it would have been nice if the screen was SLIGHTLY larger, because there is room. The chin is a bit big...could have made the screen vertically a big longer. That would help with web browsing.

And no, don't recommend the f'n iPhone or Torch because I "wish" the screen was slightly larger. I wouldn't be caught dead with either.
    03-15-11 08:00 AM
    Hey I love the look and specs of the new Bold.

BUT, it would have been nice if the screen was SLIGHTLY larger, because there is room. The chin is a bit big...could have made the screen vertically a big longer. That would help with web browsing.

And no, don't recommend the f'n iPhone or Torch because I "wish" the screen was slightly larger. I wouldn't be caught dead with either.
    The down side of moving keyboard a bit downward though, is that typing would be a bit uneasy. =)
    03-15-11 03:12 PM
    Yeah but I think it's worth it. Having that screen be that much longer makes a big difference in the long run whereas getting used to a slightly lower keyboard you'll likely get used to in a day or two max. That chin is definitely noticeably large.
    03-15-11 03:54 PM
    The down side of moving keyboard a bit downward though, is that typing would be a bit uneasy. =)
    Uneasy how? It's not uneasy typing on the 9700/9780, and the "chin" on those phones are about 1/3 of what the new Bold looks like. From what I can see there's room to make the screen up to 1/4" longer. Doesn't sound like a lot...but it would make a difference.
    03-15-11 05:28 PM
    Absolutely agree. The keyboard on the 9000 was about the most perfectest mobile keyboard I've ever used because of both its size and position. Leave it where it is!
    03-15-11 09:58 PM
    what's a bish?

It's AMERICA "bro"....the land of the free. If you don't like what I post, dont read and dont reply. I have been a lifetime BB user and I feel RIM cares nothing about their consumers at this point. If I was a droid user and slammed RIM, I would understand someone getting mad, but im not. Ive earned the right to say what I want about RIM since I have spent 1000's of dollars on their devices. Its that simple. If you have an issue with it, all I can say is, dont read and put me on your ignore list. Its that simple. Im tired of RIM's B.S and I see why they are losing customers by the 1000's every week. Go ahead and say what you want but as a lifetime BB user, I feel I have the right to say what I want regardless of peoples opinions about what I say. I have never owned any other device but a BB but I am headed out of RIMs territory if the THUNDERBOLT is as advertised. If RIM gets ther shizznet together in 2 years, ill come back but that aint likely with thier outdated roadmap and QNX not being in handhelds for 2 years
    No one is denying you have every right to be a bish, the question was why do you insist on being one?
    03-15-11 10:53 PM
    Bold 9000 is the classic stuff.
    03-16-11 03:33 PM
    Okay, will everybody please calm down,play nice and stick to the subject.

So ladies, if this thread gets to the point where you are hitting each other with your purses, the thread'll get closed.

Thanks.

I think you are all looking at the Bold Touch screen only halfway. The real key, is in the resolution of the scree. The size is half the story. The resolution is 640 x 480 (that's the original size of a VGA).

The Bold 9700 and the rest of the 97xx and 96xx series have resolutions of 480 x 360 as a comparison.

The new screen should look a lot better and handle odd sized pics and vids a lot better.
    03-17-11 10:21 AM
    not to mention the browser fonts should look sharp, no need to zoom in 200%
    03-17-11 10:38 AM
    ok, point taken but my initial discussions surrounded the screen size of 2.8" being too small. I was hoping for something slightly larger for a better viewing experience. I think for a potential flagship device, this should have been designed a bit better. I am sure the keyboard will be great but to me personally, the 2.8" screen is just tiny.....
    It isn't tiny at all, it is the perfect size for people who still want a physical keyboard and not a slider because if they had taken the approach of others and built a taller device to fit in a bigger screen then they would have exactly the same problem as others in that the balance of the whole device would be off making the device far less usable than it needed to be.

The size of the screen isn't going to suit everyone so it is a good job that it isn't the only device and they offer a range of devices with different screen sizes so people can pick the one that suits them the best.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    03-17-11 12:45 PM
    Knock it off folks!
    03-17-11 02:31 PM
    if I am not mistaken the droid pro has a 2.8" screen and that doesnt work well in my opinion. Some may love it. I tried the droid pro for 2 weeks and hated it. if it was slightly wider, it would be great. Like I have said 100x before (some 8==D's forget this), we'll have to wait and see how it looks in person. I just think for a flagship device, they could have made it a bit better than the specs I have seen, especially since we cant see it for 5 more months. Its a wait and see approach though
    You are indeed mistaken. The Droid Pro definitely did not have a 2.8 inch screen, it had a 3.1 inch. The new Bold Touch, as the pictures show does indeed go for wide rather than long when calculating its 2.8 inches. It will also have a much higher pixel density so more will fit on the 2.8 inches clearly.

Everything else you said is right. Probably should be better but this is RIM, considering how slow they are I think it's a big step for them. Not making excuses for them, but it's something right?

The phone that is more accurately close to the new Bold Touch will be the upcoming Galaxy Pro from Samsung, which features a 2.8 inch capacitive touch screen along with a qwerty keyboard. But you just know it's gonna be worse than the new Bold because Samsung will half *** it. Here is a video of it in action:
    Last edited by dooodads; 03-17-11 at 10:39 PM.
    03-17-11 10:32 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD