I have had several Blackberries over the last few years, most recently the Bold 9700 and the Torch 9800 (much prefer the Bold 9700)

I have also had a few different iPhones - not over impressed !!

Back in May I upgraded my Bold 9700 to a Samsung Galaxy S2.
    I really like this phone - it is quick, the screen is brilliant and it is probably the best phone I have ever had - BUT .... I miss the keyboard !!

I am in the lucky position to be getting the Bold 9900 tomorrow morning to try out for a week or two and also keep the Samsung at the same time.

I will have to choose one or the other in a couple of weeks.

I use an App called Evernote and use it to collect some of my customers details and also take a photo to add to the notes.

This wasn't very good on the Bold 9700 but works great on the samsung.

I hope it works ok on the 9900. Has anyone tried Evernote on the 9900 yet?

Thanks

B
    08-14-11 08:15 AM
    I think the target user for BB 9900 vs Galaxy S2 is different.

Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II vs. BlackBerry Bold Touch 9900 - GSMArena.com

S2 is a great phone. I was lucky to try out a working demo of 9900 yesterday. Oh, it's a sweet phone. Best BB ever!

here is the review of evernote (it works great):

Evernote for BlackBerry Review | CrackBerry.com
    08-14-11 09:18 AM
    I have the GS2 now also. Fantastic phone but I also miss the keyboard and certain aspects of BB OS. Plus, I have a predisposition to changing phones every three to four months.
    08-14-11 09:37 AM
    I have the GS2 now also. Fantastic phone but I also miss the keyboard and certain aspects of BB OS. Plus, I have a predisposition to changing phones every three to four months.
    I have the same problem... But between iPhones and Blackberries.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-11 09:51 AM
    I have the same problem... But between iPhones and Blackberries.

Its about to become a traingle. BB's, Android and IOS. I can use all three in the same day.
    08-14-11 10:35 AM
    it is a great phone. my buddy showed me his yesterday. great screen, fast, lots of extra features, light weight and thin. however 2 things...i prefer a keyboard and its a little too big for my taste.
    Get the 9790 when it comes out then. It has the same formfactor as the 9780 but has a touchscreen and the new hardware under the hood.

08-14-11 11:23 AM
    Well in terms of specs the galaxy S II beats the bold 9900 but, we know specs arent everything. We keep hearing how the bold is rocking the best keyboard ever so best thing to do is play with the actual phone once you have the opportunity.
    08-14-11 11:33 AM
    I switched from an s2 to a 9900 on friday. DOnt plan on going back.

But like everyone said, you cant compare the two. They have two completely different uses. It depends on what you value the most in a phone.

I have my laptop with me everywhere I go so I would rather have a phone that is more functional as a phone.
    08-14-11 05:22 PM
    Hi there, I've had the chance and still do own both phones.

In regards to using Evernote, I would recommend staying with the S2. The 9900 is really only about the physical keyboard at this point. It is almost more useful with the google integrated apps.

But if you will be sending more e-mails than your Evernote usage, then get the 9900. But you will miss the sheer simplicity of the S2, I feel.

Again, better camera and larger screen with the S2.

Personally, if it weren't for BBM keeping my family together (though I could use YIM or Google Talk) and the way the 9900 feels much better in the hand, rather than holding a thin slate of technological prowlness, I would go with the S2
    08-14-11 07:13 PM
    Hi, I've had the S2 for a week now but am getting it picked up and replaced with the 9900 tomorrow. Having moved to it from the 9780 i find that I just miss the following too much:

Proper keypad;
    Excellent spell checker;
    Led notifications;
    Strong vibrations when ringing;
    Auto off / on during the day;
    Not comforable to hold in hand and thumb type like a BB.

The S2 in my opinion has a shocking battery life which didn't get me anywhere near a whole day.
    The Samsung ring tone plays quietly for a couple of seconds before going on to full volume. I HATE that!!
    The reception sounds more tinny than the BB and gets a tad annoying.

One surprise though was the ease in which it synced with google apps for contacts, email & calander. Probably easier than plugging the blackberry in to the computer. A couple of free apps for outlook and both talked to each other very well.

The S2 is undoubtedly great fun to play on with a really terrific screen and a very responsive system. I will miss certain aspects of it like the fantastic google satnav (will that ever come to bb's??) but just can't live with it.

My wife on the other hand loves everything about it.
    cheers,
    Alan.
    08-18-11 12:23 PM
    Hi, I've had the S2 for a week now but am getting it picked up and replaced with the 9900 tomorrow. Having moved to it from the 9780 i find that I just miss the following too much:

Proper keypad;
    Excellent spell checker;
    Led notifications;
    Strong vibrations when ringing;
    Auto off / on during the day;
    Not comforable to hold in hand and thumb type like a BB.

The S2 in my opinion has a shocking battery life which didn't get me anywhere near a whole day.
    The Samsung ring tone plays quietly for a couple of seconds before going on to full volume. I HATE that!!
    The reception sounds more tinny than the BB and gets a tad annoying.

One surprise though was the ease in which it synced with google apps for contacts, email & calander. Probably easier than plugging the blackberry in to the computer. A couple of free apps for outlook and both talked to each other very well.

The S2 is undoubtedly great fun to play on with a really terrific screen and a very responsive system. I will miss certain aspects of it like the fantastic google satnav (will that ever come to bb's??) but just can't live with it.

My wife on the other hand loves everything about it.
    cheers,
    Alan.
    Thanks Alan for the reply.

I am keeping both for a little while yet.

The battery on the S2 was a bit of a worry until I updated the software and also turned on the power saving mode. Now it easily lasts 1 to 2 days.

My new Bold isn't lasting that long yet but I am sure it will get better.

Totally agree about the keyboard - that is my main grumble with the S2.

If I could stick the Bold Keyboard to the bottom of the S2 I would be very happy.

And also agree - I don't think any other phone comes near the call quality on the Blackberries.

B
    08-18-11 12:33 PM
    Thanks Alan for the reply.

I am keeping both for a little while yet.

The battery on the S2 was a bit of a worry until I updated the software and also turned on the power saving mode. Now it easily lasts 1 to 2 days.

My new Bold isn't lasting that long yet but I am sure it will get better.

Totally agree about the keyboard - that is my main grumble with the S2.

If I could stick the Bold Keyboard to the bottom of the S2 I would be very happy.

And also agree - I don't think any other phone comes near the call quality on the Blackberries.

B
    My SG2 last all day and then some with the power saving mode turned off! Unbelievable battery for Android
    08-18-11 12:39 PM
    I have heard right enough that the battery lasts longer after a few weeks of charging.
    I'm hoping the BB will be much better though, especially if I ditch the otterbox and holster it.
    Another thing I forgot to mention was the fact that you have to enter a password everytime the screen comes back on after swittching itself off. Maybe there's an app that would fix this, but its a bit of a pest. I preferred the setup I had with the BB where you could lock it if you wanted to, with an automatic lock after a set time period.
    All little niggly points I know. I'm still tearing whats left of my hair out over this decision!
    08-18-11 12:58 PM
    I actually use both Galaxy and Bold. Galaxy is my roaming and fun phone but i never use it for anything like email.
    08-20-11 12:28 AM
    just tried out a s2 for a couple of days and have come to the conclusion that anything over 4" in screen size just aint comfortable when using as a phone. and for putting in your jean pocket? forget it!

the 9900 size on the otherhand is the perfect size for using as a phone
    02-01-12 11:15 AM
    How do you change phones so often? Do you have to buy them full price off contract or is there another way?
    02-01-12 12:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD