I did a restore on my Torch and same contact appeared in by address book 10 times. While it allowed me to highlight and delete, when I actually hit delete, it wouldn't get erased.

When did restore on my new Bold, the same contact is there 10 times again.

Any ideas on how i can get rid of it?
    10-23-11 10:38 PM
    Are you using Google Sync by chance? This sure sounds like a G/Sync issue...
    10-23-11 10:45 PM
    Nope, just a regular back up and restore. I use 3 email accounts:

- Hotmail
    - Gmail
    - Telus

When I did the first back-up on the Torch, I selected a weird link hotmail option. I have a feeling that is what is to blame

Now there are 2 contacts in the address book both listed 10 times. And none can be deleted.
    10-24-11 12:56 AM
    Can anyone help?
    10-24-11 01:11 PM
    Just erase data or delete using the desktop program. Then re enter them
    10-24-11 01:37 PM
    How would I delete just the problematic contacts using desktop without doing a full back up again?
    10-24-11 02:51 PM
    I tried editing and adding a number to the contact that appears multiple times then deleting that way... still didn't make a difference

Is there a way I can press shift or something to highlight the name and mass delete? Nothing seems to work and it is driving me crazy
    10-24-11 08:32 PM
    When you try to delete a contact, one of the 10 duplicates you refer to, exactly what is happening? Are you synchronizing Hotmail contacts to your BB using the Hotmail BIS Sync?
    10-24-11 11:39 PM
    i had similar issue with t-mobile contacts backup - had to remove this feature to fix
    10-25-11 12:54 AM
    Not too familiar with BIS. I unfortunately selected the synchronize with hotmail contacts when I initially did the restore and that is when I started having the problem with the contacts appearing 10 times.

Each time I try to select each contact and delete, it doesn't go away. I tried editing each one

ie.

Amanda1
    Amanda2
    Amanda3

and then deleting each, but this also had no effect on removing the list as the originals were still there.

I don't mind restoring contacts again and eliminating the hotmail sync but how would I do that? Or is there any other way to remove the multiple repeats?
    10-25-11 03:44 AM
    I talked to telus (service provider) and BlackberryHelps from their social media support system

Telus told me they deselected the sync contact option from the Hotmail account that I accidently selected to merge my contacts with during my restore

BlackBerryHelps said to eliminate the contact from my Hotmail address book and then do a restore

I did this, but the contacts are still there, appearing 10-15 times (it's only 2 that are the problem)

I believe the issue is that the backup file I made from my old Torch still has the contacts inexplicably listed this way so doing repeat restores does nothing because it just puts the same contacts back in there 10 times. I also still can't delete them from the phone itself.

Can anyone help? The issue is driving me crazy now.
    10-25-11 03:54 PM
    FIXED THE PROBLEM!

Download 'contact cleaner' app. It removed the problematic ones from the address book
    10-25-11 04:51 PM
    Now, you should setup your contact lists to NOT allow duplicates!
    10-25-11 07:22 PM
    how do I do that?

The weird thing is, I NEVER entered either of those contacts that many times. Wonder why it happened.
    10-25-11 07:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD