To date I haven't had an issue with the camera on the 9900. Have read the threads about the close up issues which I haven't really had to worry about as well as the threads with some of the great shots. Think I will always remember the sunset pic in Hawaii someone posted. Beautiful.

My experience to date has been pretty much similar, I have been taking pics in pretty good light, "still" shots, landscapes, etc. Really thought I had great pics.

Went to my daughter's father/daughter dance last night. We had a blast got one or two great pics. The balance of pics turned out pretty poor. Slight movement ruined the shots. Couldn't get a good "scenery" mode to grab pics. Last two years have used the camera on the 9700 at the dance and always been fine. Couldn't believe how poor the camera was when having to grab quick shots.

Hit me today looking at these pics compared to the past pics what a difference the autofocus means. Realized how many pics I snap of the kids, friends, friends making fools of themselves, and the people of Walmart. (if you are reading this from out of the US Google that one to enjoy a laugh). Started thinking I will have to have this phone 2 years if I don't return it by Tuesday. Thought, it won't be that big of a deal, deal with it. Then thought, heck that is a long time to keep this phone without a camera I can depend on. Heck, I haven't used my Canon in 6-7 months.

Anyhow, as mentioned, have the last couple days of buyer's remorse before either keeping for 2 years or returning. The 9790 hasn't appeared on T-Mobile with no rumors yet indicating it would. BB10 is too far out. I went into the T-Mobile store near me on Saturday (free tablets!) I saw they had stock of the 9810 left. Read it pretty much everything the same with exception of NFC but it does have autofocus. I've become attached to the 9900 form factor which oddly enough I had my doubts I would moving from the 9700. Was wondering if anyone in the 9900 forum had moved from the 9810 or vice versa. I read one great thread here but it seemed like only a few folks had moved from a 9810, more from the 9800 which isn't an even match. Almost wish I hadn't seen the 9810. Only played with it a little bit as I didn't even consider it until the camera issue surfaced.

I've posted on the 9900 battery issues I experienced, made my peace for the most part, ordered a second battery to add to my 9900 accessory collection of the Seido dock charger, Seido Active case, and an OtterCase I use when biking. Would hate to waste all of these accessories. Think I have OCD even considering this exchange. Your thoughts?
    I think you should buy an iPhone and put the rest of us out of your misery.
    02-14-12 09:49 PM
    My thoughts are you shouldn't have brought a camera phone to such an important moment to take pictures with. If money is an issue and you're not able to get/bring a simple digital point and shoot camera than I understand that. Times are tough. Any point and shoot digital camera is 10x better than any camera phone. I would not have relied on a camera phone to record such an important event in pictures even if it had AF. If you need a good device to take great pictures....buy a Canon. Leave the BlackBerry to what it does best...actually making phone calls, email and texting.
    02-15-12 01:35 AM
    Hmmmm....I followed this thread because I have a 9800 and have been considering an upgrade (if you can really call it that) to a 9810, so I felt that any feedback is good feedback. I haven't posted much, but the way this went prompted me to post a response.

First off...the fact that there is another thread on this problem is not a bad thing...my experience in forums has been that there is new information that comes up from time to time...ESPECIALLY when there are almost weekly OS updates on our devices. I fully support the poster here, and think the members who are "sick and tired" of all the posts about this go hang around an iphone forum, and compare the quality of the complaints, feedback, and solutions for their gripes (I've done it, and laugh my off regularly).

Secondly, although I may agree that phones should be phones, and cameras should be cameras...we have all been subjected to the notion that these new "smartphones" (regardless of the make) are supposed to be great at EVERYTHING. This is not true...especially when it comes to the whole camera issue. Having said that, I loved the pics my 9700 took, and am pretty satisfied with the pics that my 9800 takes (albeit, low light sucks...). We are being conditioned to the fact that our phones should be great at pictures, video, and making coffee (hopefully an OS2 option)...so, it's not unreasonable that a BB owner would have a gripe (or a number of them) regarding this issue.

My advice to the poster would be to check out the 9810, as I have heard good things about the camera function, and that, coupled with the faster processor, should be an improvement over the 9700 pics and other earlier models. I say this with cautionary optimism, because a phone is still that....a phone....and my Canon 14M camera still takes far better pics than my BB. That's inevitable. But, then again, I am sure you already know that...your point is something different.

I would be interested in reading your evaluation of the 9810, should you choose to follow that path...

Should any other trolls have an inexplicable urge to flame this poster, please feel free to hit me up first, since you have no clue how much I may or may not know, and have no problem putting you in your place.

I'm done.
    02-15-12 02:37 AM
    02-15-12 02:57 AM
    Huh? Did you post the wrong link or something?
    02-15-12 05:17 AM
    Should any other trolls have an inexplicable urge to flame this poster, please feel free to hit me up first, since you have no clue how much I may or may not know, and have no problem putting you in your place.

I'm done.
    Smartphones are not great at everything. None of them are. That's the first flaw in your thinking. Smartphone web browers are not fully functional on any device. Battery life is questionable on many smartphones. Voice/call quality. Notifications and alert features. Third-party application availability. Build quality. Etc...

The above is just a small amount of the issues you will find with different manufactured device models and OS versions. The primary shortcoming (to most people) of the 9900 is its camera. People make jokes on the forums - at least I know I do - to lighten the mood or give some fellow CrackBerrians a laugh. Others are fed up with reading the same thing over and over and might reply with something unfriendly. Personally, I don't have a problem with what the OP posted, but I think it's funny they felt it necessary to point out the same thing you already see in every 4th thread in a whole new thread.

Now I am sure when you strap on your tights and fly in to the rescue, you think you are doing something noble. You aren't. Instead you are basically just trolling trolls and trying to start fights.
    02-15-12 07:00 AM
    I will honestly say the camera on the 99xx is the only part of the phone I do not like. I would sacrifice a little depth of the phone for an autofocus.
    02-15-12 07:04 AM
    I will honestly say the camera on the 99xx is the only part of the phone I do not like. I would sacrifice a little depth of the phone for an autofocus.
    I agree its the only part I dont like too but the camera is good enough for my needs so it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

Actually I just discovered my 9900's camera has a zoom function which isn't too shabby (slide your thumb vertically on the side of the touch screen with camera activated). I cant seem to find zoom at all on my 9810 camera.

On the other hand, everytime I type a message on my buttery smooth keyboard I hear myself saying "I am so glad I chose the 9900!".
    02-15-12 07:02 PM
    I see there have been some cute comments left lol. Again, third time, yes I have a camera. A really nice 12MP one if you are interested. However, traveling for work my jeans have become tighter and tighter (not in the hot good looking way) necessitating the need for a single device lol.

As for the point of my post if I must explain it wasn't to poke at the 9900 camera and it's quality. I had to determine if I was using it correctly, return the phone, and/or pick up a 9810. I was curious on the feedback from folks with the 9810 to 9900 switch as well intelligent input. I really like the form factor of the 9900 and it is typical of all the BB's I prefer.

Anyhow, have had the 9810 a couple days. Very different and taking some time to get used to the two different keyboards. I can type on the built physical kb no problem, reminds me of being on the 9700. I can fly on it no problem. Full screen is great for pics, Telenav, browsing. Pretty cool. Battery is not too bad either

Camera is a totally different beast from the 9900 so far. Perfect for my needs. Thought these pics were deleted when I upgraded the OS but they were still there. These were taken at 65 miles an hour with a windshield in between and I didn't set the modes. Not bad at all. Also, to note I took these "incorrectly" as I shot these like I would with the 9900 in portrait mode. Didn't know the 9810 should be shot holding it like a camera to get the correct landscape mode. I turned these clockwise and saved before posting.
    Belfast - I will try it out from being still trying to grab something fast to demonstrate today or tomorrow.
    Last edited by zipped; 02-16-12 at 09:57 AM.
    02-16-12 09:36 AM
    I see there have been some cute comments left lol. Again, third time, yes I have a camera. A really nice 12MP one if you are interested. However, traveling for work my jeans have become tighter and tighter (not in the hot good looking way) necessitating the need for a single device lol.

As for the point of my post if I must explain it wasn't to poke at the 9900 camera and it's quality. I had to determine if I was using it correctly, return the phone, and/or pick up a 9810. I was curious on the feedback from folks with the 9810 to 9900 switch as well intelligent input. I really like the form factor of the 9900 and it is typical of all the BB's I prefer.

Anyhow, have had the 9810 a couple days. Very different and taking some time to get used to the two different keyboards. I can type on the built physical kb no problem, reminds me of being on the 9700. I can fly on it no problem. Full screen is great for pics, Telenav, browsing. Pretty cool. Battery is not too bad either

Camera is a totally different beast from the 9900 so far. Perfect for my needs. Thought these pics were deleted when I upgraded the OS but they were still there. These were taken at 65 miles an hour with a windshield in between and I didn't set the modes. Not bad at all. Also, to note I took these "incorrectly" as I shot these like I would with the 9900 in portrait mode. Didn't know the 9810 should be shot holding it like a camera to get the correct landscape mode. I turned these clockwise and saved before posting.
    Belfast - I will try it out from being still trying to grab something fast to demonstrate today or tomorrow.
    Well, any shots yet? I'm actually curious to see some comparing photos.
    02-23-12 02:32 AM
    Hey there Belfast! Sorry, haven't checked back in a bit. I actually had a number of pics but for some damn reason I got home from a trip this week and my phone was telling me I needed to "format" the media card. Needless to say, after downloading 8 plus recovery apps to try to grab my pics (lots of work pics too, ugh) they are toast. I should have another chance this weekend. So far so good. I am really liking it.
    02-24-12 12:43 AM
    No camera on a phone can replace a regular digital camera. I take over 10 photos a day for my business and have yet to find a phone that is worthy to call it a camera. I switched to a small Canon Elph camera with a eye fi card and all of my photos are perfect now. Granted the photos from the bold are nice but not nearly as nice as a regular camera. Most of my photos are close up and with the Canon they come out beautiful.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-24-12 05:24 AM
    Its a phone its not designed like a camera, you can't expect the same quality photos from a phone as you can a camera
    02-24-12 06:42 AM
    If I sound like a troll, oh well...but three pages dedicated to a camera issue?? Seriously? I can't believe someone would make a smartphone decision based on a camera. If pictures are that important to you, you should seriously invest in one of the new super slim "real" cameras. I actually like the non auto focus feature...no waiting on autofocus to catch up, just pick up and shoot. If I want great pics then I pick up my dslr. Not flaming, I just don't understand the mentality. I wouldn't sacrifice every other part of what a smartphone is made for, for a camera. Just me I guess.
    02-24-12 08:21 AM
    If I sound like a troll, oh well...but three pages dedicated to a camera issue?? Seriously? I can't believe someone would make a smartphone decision based on a camera. If pictures are that important to you, you should seriously invest in one of the new super slim "real" cameras. I actually like the non auto focus feature...no waiting on autofocus to catch up, just pick up and shoot. If I want great pics then I pick up my dslr. Not flaming, I just don't understand the mentality. I wouldn't sacrifice every other part of what a smartphone is made for, for a camera. Just me I guess.
    No, people just expect a BB's flagship to have a camera on par with current expectations. Most, if not all, of the competitors' flagship products have cameras that are far better than the 9900's, particularly for anything closer than a few feet.

The "if you need a good camera on your phone you're a moron" and "if you need a good camera, carry a Nikon D4" responses miss the point.

No one is saying they expect a phone to take perfectly sharp, color based, aberration-free pictures. They are saying the 9900 should take much better pictures than it does--as good as other phones. What is that so hard to understand, for God's sake???
    02-24-12 08:38 AM
    No, people just expect a BB's flagship to have a camera on par with current expectations. Most, if not all, of the competitors' flagship products have cameras that are far better than the 9900's, particularly for anything closer than a few feet.

The "if you need a good camera on your phone you're a moron" and "if you need a good camera, carry a Nikon D4" responses miss the point.

No one is saying they expect a phone to take perfectly sharp, color based, aberration-free pictures. They are saying the 9900 should take much better pictures than it does--as good as other phones. What is that so hard to understand, for God's sake???
    Yeah but you're also missing the point, the 9900 camera is bad and exceptional at the same time, bad if you take close up shots, exceptional if you take action shots.

The 9900 camera is capable of catching a jumping kid mid flight with absolutely no blur and everything in perfect focus.

I have yet to see a comparable shot from any autofocus camera phone, blackberry, android or iphone. Everybody just keeps posting close up shots, show me the action shots and then come back to comment.
    02-24-12 08:58 AM
    Yeah but you're also missing the point, the 9900 camera is bad and exceptional at the same time, bad if you take close up shots, exceptional if you take action shots.

The 9900 camera is capable of catching a jumping kid mid flight with absolutely no blur and everything in perfect focus.

I have yet to see a comparable shot from any autofocus camera phone, blackberry, android or iphone. Everybody just keeps posting close up shots, show me the action shots and then come back to comment.
    And how many threads are there in the 98xx forum, or Android forums, or iPhone forums that start out, "This is a great phone, if only it had an edof camera like the 9900"?

None. Also, I would argue that the example you gave (an action shot of your child) is one of the times you would definitely want to use a real camera. For close-ups, portraits, and landscapes (probably the vast majority of all pics), the 9900 is not the best.
    02-24-12 09:05 AM

Straw man argument...you just assume that most smartphones have much better cameras than the 9900 series....I do not agree. I came from the galaxy nexus and besides the speed of the shutter, I can't say the pictures were any better. I also had the iphone 4 as well as Evo...none of them were anything special in comparison. No phone is great in all areas...compare battery life to nexus and see what you get. Jump on most forums and you will see a large majority complaining about the camera, which brings me back to my original point...why choose a smartphone primarily based on its camera?
    02-24-12 10:06 AM
    And how many threads are there in the 98xx forum, or Android forums, or iPhone forums that start out, "This is a great phone, if only it had an edof camera like the 9900"?

None. Also, I would argue that the example you gave (an action shot of your child) is one of the times you would definitely want to use a real camera. For close-ups, portraits, and landscapes (probably the vast majority of all pics), the 9900 is not the best.
    My 9900 take very good portrait and landscape photos, and exceptional action shots.

Do I have to post examples to prove it?
    02-24-12 10:07 AM
    If you are even starting out your post with "if I sound like a troll" then you know what you are and what you are going to do... Anyhow, looks like you forgot to read the other pages then you would know we have discussed the issue of phone vs camera and why the phone is good enough for what we are discussing. Not going to repeat this for your edification.

My motion shots on the 9900 didn't come out too great but as mentioned will take and post with the 9810 to compare. I was pretty happy with the shots that I posted in the truck and then with the next basketball series but those are flippin gone. Still torqued about the media card for some reason needing a "reformat"
    02-24-12 12:19 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD