I'm running out of patience with my Bold 9900 since I encountered a JVM error last Thursday. Then I upgraded to .540 last Friday, still here comes the JVM error.

Decided to downgrade last night back to .503, JVM error still shows up.

Now, I've wiped everything on my phone (which I hate doing). And will try to install .585. Hopefully this OS won't show me the JVM errors I've been having lately.

Will install apps such as BeBuzz, BerryWeather & Meterberry only.

If this phone gets another JVM error after being restored, I'm letting it go.
    12-18-11 05:30 PM
    Problems solved after restoring your phone?
    12-18-11 06:01 PM
    Feel better getting all that out?
    12-18-11 06:04 PM
    Problems solved after restoring your phone?
    Hopefully .585 works better.
    Last edited by adicktuz; 12-18-11 at 06:17 PM.
    12-18-11 06:14 PM
    running out of patience?there are other new bb's-9850/9860/9810/9790/9380/9350/9360.pick one of those and get rid of the troublesome bb.if don't like that list,then get a bbx when it arrives.if bb still keeps running out of patience,then jump to apple/android.simple as that.
    12-18-11 06:44 PM
    if this 9900 just wont stop giving me troubles, then I might consider a Torch 9810. No plans of going to iOS or Android.
    12-18-11 07:19 PM
    Android is **** of fun, you have to flash os every day
    12-18-11 07:25 PM
    Android is **** of fun, you have to flash os every day
    yeh .. i finished my part of the train ride from BB -> iphone -> android -> BB9900 .. it tuk me that entire cycle to realise that I use my mobile phone for just 3 things .. calls, BBM/txts and emails with keyboard .. and BB proved the most reliable for that ..
    12-18-11 08:42 PM
    yeh .. i finished my part of the train ride from BB -> iphone -> android -> BB9900 .. it tuk me that entire cycle to realise that I use my mobile phone for just 3 things .. calls, BBM/txts and emails with keyboard .. and BB proved the most reliable for that ..
    I haven't been on iOS or Android, been a symbian user ever since. And I don't think I'll ever leave BB. Simply cos of 2 things, BBM and the Push Email.

So I'm trying my best to keep my 9900 alive or move to a 9810.
    12-18-11 09:35 PM
    I haven't been on iOS or Android, been a symbian user ever since. And I don't think I'll ever leave BB. Simply cos of 2 things, BBM and the Push Email.

So I'm trying my best to keep my 9900 alive or move to a 9810.
    I hear ya about restoring after a wipe ... total p.i.a. and I won't do it unless it's my absolute last resort.

If 585 doesn't solve your problems, I hear most carriers will replace bricked or terminally ill 99**'s, even after the return period. Might be something worth looking into. Sorry to hear about your issues, but glad to hear you're going to stick with the brand.

Good luck!
    12-18-11 10:44 PM
    I hear ya about restoring after a wipe ... total p.i.a. and I won't do it unless it's my absolute last resort.

If 585 doesn't solve your problems, I hear most carriers will replace bricked or terminally ill 99**'s, even after the return period. Might be something worth looking into. Sorry to hear about your issues, but glad to hear you're going to stick with the brand.

Good luck!
    Yea, I hate wiping data on my phone, and I totally forgot to back up all my photos. LOL. Everything saved except my photos.

Anyway, phone's been restored and still under observation. I only installed, BeBuzz 4.0.89, BerryWeather, BatterySaver Pro, TuneIn Radio Pro, Shazam and Screenshot.

Hopefully I won't ever see that JVM error again. Phone's running good now & I hope it stays this way.

Also, I didn't get my phone from my carrier, bought it unbranded. But I have a 2-year warranty under BlackBerry, but just the hassle of changing phones (especially a new PIN) worries me.

Thanks! And yes, I will definitely stick with BlackBerry, no matter what happens.
    12-18-11 11:23 PM
    It's dunny that everyone is getting errors or having bricked BBs and nothing has ever happened to mine.
    Fingers crossed
    12-18-11 11:31 PM
    It's dunny that everyone is getting errors or having bricked BBs and nothing has ever happened to mine.
    Fingers crossed
    Just be more carefull. Especially with applications.

Good for you then.
    12-18-11 11:37 PM
    The only time I got those errors on my 9650 and 9930 were when I customized the application permissions, specifically enabling prompt or deny. Changing back to allow and a hard reset got rid of them, regardless of my os status. So now I delete apps that won't allow changes to prompt or deny. Darn if I'll allow access to my whole phone data.
    12-19-11 12:45 AM
    I somehow found out what is causing me all these JVM errors on ALL OS's I've tried. This app, Angry Pigs! My phone was running all good until I tried to reinstall this game, the phone was on idle and when I got back to it, JVM error 520 again. So I deleted the game right away.

Anyway, would a delete be enough? Or should I wipe my phone again to make sure nothing from that game is left on my phone?

I also deleted the game Fruits & Ninja. These were the only 2 games I installed before the JVM error 520 showed up again.

I don't want to wipe everything out again and to reload the OS. But if needed, I'll do it.

Thanks
    12-19-11 02:56 PM
    Yeah me too. Samsung note looks pretty but thats it, freezes once a day. Ipad only good for browsing but thats it.
    12-20-11 02:32 AM
    I somehow found out what is causing me all these JVM errors on ALL OS's I've tried. This app, Angry Pigs! My phone was running all good until I tried to reinstall this game, the phone was on idle and when I got back to it, JVM error 520 again. So I deleted the game right away.

Anyway, would a delete be enough? Or should I wipe my phone again to make sure nothing from that game is left on my phone?

I also deleted the game Fruits & Ninja. These were the only 2 games I installed before the JVM error 520 showed up again.

I don't want to wipe everything out again and to reload the OS. But if needed, I'll do it.

Thanks
    I guess those two were the culprits. I usually only install what I'll use. I haven't got any of those errors yet. Hopefully you'll be okay, I don't think you'll need to wipe it unless it happens again.
    12-20-11 10:23 AM
    Next time you get a JVM error you can follow these steps to identify the culprit and restore your device without having to wipe...: http://crackberry.com/help-jvm-error...olution-wiping
    Elite1 likes this.
    12-20-11 10:52 AM
    I am assuming that applications such as Meterberry, Berryweather, Whatsapp, and Photo Studio PRO are safe as far as issues, JVM errors, and bricking go?

These are about the only applications I will be installing.
    12-20-11 11:10 AM
    I guess those two were the culprits. I usually only install what I'll use. I haven't got any of those errors yet. Hopefully you'll be okay, I don't think you'll need to wipe it unless it happens again.
    Yea, I guess it was the Angry Pigs. Phone has been doing good since I removed those 2 games anyway.

Hopefully stays this way.
    12-20-11 08:33 PM
    Yea, I hate wiping data on my phone, and I totally forgot to back up all my photos. LOL. Everything saved except my photos.
    You save your photos to Device Memory and not media card? Your media card isn't wiped in a, er, wipe.
    You shouldn't let media like photos take up your precious Application Memory.

And just wondering regarding your 1st sentence above, do you backup & restore your data use DM? I hope so...

Anyway, phone's been restored and still under observation. I only installed, BeBuzz 4.0.89, BerryWeather, BatterySaver Pro, TuneIn Radio Pro, Shazam and Screenshot.
    Desktop apps like BBH Tool or BB Boss v2.2 will let you back up your 3rd party apps, then restore them post-wipe.

Also, I didn't get my phone from my carrier, bought it unbranded. But I have a 2-year warranty under BlackBerry, but just the hassle of changing phones (especially a new PIN) worries me.
    Changing phones isn't much of a hassle, at least not the part about changing PINs.

In BBM, click the MENU key and select Options. Scroll down to Backup Management section and select Backup. Select Remote Backup and enable it. I'd recommend having all your email addresses associated. ESC back, select Local Backup. Check off Auto-Save Contact List Changes, and for good measure create a local backup right now too.
    I always manually make a BBM local backup before upgrading OS / switching devices.
    Please note you must re-enable Remote Backup again after an OS upgrade.

With this done, you're PIN is automatically updated with all of your BBM Contacts should you switch devices. Your Contacts won't even know anything changed.

Thanks! And yes, I will definitely stick with BlackBerry, no matter what happens.
    As long as RIM is still paying their power bills and supporting BIS, make mine BlackBerry!
    adicktuz likes this.
    12-20-11 09:54 PM
    Glad you got it solved. Whenever I see a customer with those errors, I usually ask if it's an app they recently installed or updated... it has always been the cause, at least for the devices I've worked on.
    12-20-11 10:00 PM
    It is amazing how unstable is the bold 9900 and it is amazing that RIM is doing nothing to release a stable software to avoid bricking issues and other issue like the one you explain here.

RIM is showing that it can't fix problems with their phones, that is exactly what investors are seeing and that is why they are punishing their stocks.

If RIM does not wake up fast they will be dead in less than 12 months.
    12-20-11 10:06 PM
    I am assuming that applications such as Meterberry, Berryweather, Whatsapp, and Photo Studio PRO are safe as far as issues, JVM errors, and bricking go?

These are about the only applications I will be installing.
    There's nothing inherently wrong with any of those apps. But any app could have a corrupted download or a faulty future update.

On my 9900, as on my 9700 and 9800 before it, I have several dozen apps & games.
    I only get a JVM error once or twice a week, which is completely acceptable.

I'm obviously joking about the JVM errors! I never have 'em (*knocks on wood*) and I really do have dozens of apps & games onboard.
    12-20-11 10:08 PM
    You save your photos to Device Memory and not media card? Your media card isn't wiped in a, er, wipe.
    You shouldn't let media like photos take up your precious Application Memory.

And just wondering regarding your 1st sentence above, do you backup & restore your data use DM? I hope so...

Desktop apps like BBH Tool or BB Boss v2.2 will let you back up your 3rd party apps, then restore them post-wipe.

Changing phones isn't much of a hassle, at least not the part about changing PINs.

In BBM, click the MENU key and select Options. Scroll down to Backup Management section and select Backup. Select Remote Backup and enable it. I'd recommend having all your email addresses associated. ESC back, select Local Backup. Check off Auto-Save Contact List Changes, and for good measure create a local backup right now too.
    I always manually make a BBM local backup before upgrading OS / switching devices.
    Please note you must re-enable Remote Backup again after an OS upgrade.

With this done, you're PIN is automatically updated with all of your BBM Contacts should you switch devices. Your Contacts won't even know anything changed.

As long as RIM is still paying their power bills and supporting BIS, make mine BlackBerry!
    I have all my data saved on my card, I just forgot sync the media to the computer that's why I lost all my photos (not much of a problem though). Although, I was able to save my songs (which are very important).

So in short, I was able to back up and restore everything after the wipe/reload of OS, except the photos.

Regarding to changing my BB, problem is resale value really drops! Got my phone for roughly $660, and when I asked how much can I resell my phone the store offered $460. So, nevermind. I'm sticking to my 9900.
    12-21-11 12:29 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD