Hey all,

So I did some calling around today to about 4 or 5 Rogers stores in Toronto and the GTA. A fre of them said they did not know the release while 3 different stores stated the 22nd of August. Hopefully its not the case or it looks like Telus or Bell are going to be taking my money for this phone. Just wanted to share.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-11 05:15 PM
    You would switch carriers over 7 days?

I seriously doubt Telus/Bell releases it before Rogers.
    08-05-11 05:27 PM
    LOL Dont worry rogers will be the first Canadian carrier to release it and telus/bell are said to release it the 16th and rogers is said to release it the 9th or the 22th
    Last edited by DeeDudnath; 08-05-11 at 10:42 PM.
    08-05-11 08:07 PM
    Exactly, sorry I didn't convey that in the original post

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-11 08:07 PM
    Rogers and RIM have been in bed together for a *very* long time, there's simply no way that the other Canadian carriers release it before they do.
    08-05-11 10:08 PM
    RIM did say this is their biggest Global release ever. So I wouldn't be surprised if Rogers, Bell, and Telus released them at the same time. Of course I want Rogers to release it first. But they are doing a pretty crappy job at announcing it!
    08-05-11 10:34 PM
    Telus and Rogers have the same frequencies?
    08-05-11 10:36 PM
    LOL Dont worry rogers will be the first Canadian carrier to release it and telus/bell are said to release it the 16th and rogers is said to release it the 9th or the 22th
    sorry i ment too say the 15th*******
    08-05-11 10:42 PM
    Telus and Rogers have the same frequencies?

They have the same 3G/HSDPA frequencies. But Telus is a CDMA company and Rogers is a GSM company.
    08-05-11 10:48 PM
    Telus still offers CDMA, but they like Bell, have switched to GSM. All 3 use the same GSM frequency the same ones as AT&T.
    08-05-11 11:27 PM
    Telus still offers CDMA, but they like Bell, have switched to GSM. All 3 use the same GSM frequency the same ones as AT&T.
    Oh okay, well guess its a race who releases first. Then comes the unlocking
    08-05-11 11:29 PM

That's incorrect. Bell and Telus did NOT switch to GSM. They do NOT have the 2G bands like Rogers, Fido, AT&T, Wind, Mobilicity, and T-mobile.
    08-05-11 11:33 PM
    That's incorrect. Bell and Telus did NOT switch to GSM. They do NOT have the 2G bands like Rogers, Fido, AT&T, Wind, Mobilicity, and T-mobile.
    Wind and Mobilicity don't operate a 2G network, instead both use Rogers, and only when roaming.
    08-06-11 12:19 AM
    Wind and Mobilicity don't operate a 2G network, instead both use Rogers, and only when roaming.

The point I'm trying to make is, Wind and Mobilicity can operate on a 2G network. You can put your Wind sim card in a 2G phone ONLY and it will work. You can't do that with Bell or Telus.
    08-06-11 01:07 AM
    Rogers and RIM have been in bed together for a *very* long time, there's simply no way that the other Canadian carriers release it before they do.
    Before, no. But I would expect the big three to release on the same day. That's what happened with the Torch 9800.
    08-06-11 10:07 AM
    Bell and Telus both offer GSM phones, you can unlock them and use them on the Rogers network, with a Rogers SIM card. They are in fact GSM.

They do not have 2g bands to fall back on though, so they are not fully GSM, if you buy the Torch for instance and then go to northern Ontario you may not get data service. As they move forward they will no longer add CDMA infastructure, only GSM.
    Last edited by mover23; 08-06-11 at 11:43 AM.
    08-06-11 11:40 AM
    Bell and Telus both offer GSM phones, you can unlock them and use them on the Rogers network, with a Rogers SIM card. They are in fact GSM.

They do not have 2g bands to fall back on though, so they are not fully GSM, if you buy the Torch for instance and then go to northern Ontario you may not get data service. As they move forward they will no longer add CDMA infastructure, only GSM.

Bell and Telus do not sell 2G phones only. They carry devices that have both the 2G and 3G bands to compete with Rogers. A lot of people travel and our
    3G bands are not compatible with other countries outside of North America. However almost every country has GSM. So Bell and Telus customers can switch to 2G only when they travel. They are still using their CDMA network because they are still selling CDMA phones only.

I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself. Bell and Telus are NOT a GSM company. Call them up and ask them.
    08-06-11 01:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD