07-12-11 01:51 PM
56 123
tools
    I believe you, if only because this whole thing is shaping up to be a replay of the Bold 9000 release, down to the day almost. The 9000 was released in Canada in mid/late August 2008 with, as CX indicated earlier in this thread, major league problems. It didn't come out on AT&T in the US for another three months or so after that. I'm not sure it's going to take that long for AT&T to release the 9900, but one thing is for sure -- AT&T has kept the 9900 in the lab for a reason rather than release it for field testing.
    Yeah maybe Apple is paying them truckloads of dirty money, to push back the release.

As for us here in India, one of the forum members uncle who works for a distributor/ or is the distributor himself , for eastern region, already has his stock of 9900 in his w/h and he expects retail units to be available in the next 15 days. We buy outright, without any carrier branding ( in fact carriers sell it more expensive than retail shops...), so the reported post seems genuine.
    07-12-11 07:48 AM
    Sorry folks but I'll go on record and say its not happening in August.

PG

This pains me!

cause I want to say you're probably right
    but I also want to say Shush it foo !!!! itz comin man!
    07-12-11 08:17 AM
    Just a quick question Crucial...what about the non carrier versions ie sim free versions of the 9900/9930??...why wont RIM release them as they dont need carrier approval do they??....non of the sim free BB's ive ever owned have any network branding on them.

So i dont understand why the sim free versions arent being released if they are ready...is there another process for them or is RIM going to release the sim free versions around the time of the carrier branded versions.

Personally im not interested in the carrier branded versions as it is.

It would be a distribution thing.

Carrier unbranded would still be running on a Carriers network, still needs service books pushed to it, and the Carriers are MAJOR players in the retail sales of both Contract, and SIM Free devices, by by-passing the carriers and going strait to public you disrupt your channels, and damage relationships.

NOT worth it if you look at the big picture
    07-12-11 08:21 AM
    My thought and not based on anything other than some info from ATT sales person, is that possibly waiting for their complete merger with Tmobile (more antennas) and then their launch of 4G.

Just speculation on my part, if this is a new 4G phone. The sales guy told me they had knowledge of at least 20 new 4G phones they would be carrying and some new exciting stuff from BB, all coming in a few weeks.
    Last edited by stardotstar; 07-12-11 at 10:43 AM.
    07-12-11 10:34 AM
    I just hope it comes out before the iPhone 5 so I can sell my iPhone 4 for enough money to buy the 9900 with haha
    marcomendez likes this.
    07-12-11 11:25 AM
    Personally, It'll be a longer wait for me.

For those like me who need to buy the phone outright (because in middle of contract or carrier does not offer the 9900), we'll probably have to wait at least a month or so after the 9900 is released. (Unless you buy outright at carrier for full price)

Why?

People who resell will want crazy money for it.

I rememeber the first month on craigslist when the Torch came out, people wanted $750+ for it. Carriers in my neck of the woods would not sell one outright because of supply issues and will only use thier stock for existing customers re-signing a contract who need a hardware upgrade.

Those who re-sign a contract and grabbed a 9800 to resell will want crazy money for it even though they got it at a subsidized price.

I think the same thing will happen witht he 9900.
    07-12-11 01:51 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD