Spoke with a friend tonight who has some inside scoop with Rogers. He was right on the money with letting me know release date of the 9900 and now he tells me that wifi hotspot is coming in the next 2-3 weeks. Also, there will be NO extra charges from Rogers to use it!!!

Enjoy.
    08-21-11 01:29 AM
    Nice! Let's see what Verizon decides to do....
    08-21-11 02:04 AM
    and sprint
    08-21-11 02:26 AM
    Nice! Let's see what Verizon decides to do....
    Going to cost $20 when/if Verizon enables it. It's already part of the tethering package.
    08-21-11 02:35 AM
    that's too bad for you guys. I cannot understand why they do not let you do it without a fee. it is absolute robbery.
    08-21-11 08:03 AM
    Excelllllllent news!

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-11 08:24 AM
    I doubt it will come that soon, you wouldn't expect any update to the carrier's software in such a short amount of time after the initial release, anything that quick would tend to be just bugfixes rather than new features.

It does seem so weird that carriers charge an additional fee for something that would use up your data allowance faster.
    08-21-11 08:28 AM
    Thats some amazing news! Cant wait!
    08-21-11 08:51 AM
    I doubt it will come that soon, you wouldn't expect any update to the carrier's software in such a short amount of time after the initial release, anything that quick would tend to be just bugfixes rather than new features.

It does seem so weird that carriers charge an additional fee for something that would use up your data allowance faster.
    i agree but the source is pretty legit. I am just passing on what I heard. Hoping for the best.
    08-21-11 09:08 AM
    Normally I would agree, but there was a similar thread about Telus. The poster said the Telus rep had shown him the memo on screen but wouldn't let him take a picture. We know as well that pre-release units had a wifi hotspot feature so it's not totally far-fetched.
    08-21-11 10:23 AM
    Yes! If Rogers gets it then that means that TELUS will have it very soon! I need to put my 6 GB of data to good use
    08-21-11 10:28 AM
    what do you mean by hotspot ... UMA?
    I think you turn you BB into a wireless access point so you can access the internet on say your computer or iPod through your BB.

However, if you have a laptop I would just use Desktop Manager and access the internet that way, no?

I've never had a HotSpot device so can't say for sure... however, laptop aside, if you could access the internet on your BB through your iPod, that would really be neat, and almost give you having an iPhone in that you could have access to all the apps you want and still keep your BB as your primary device.

Guess I'll have to try that when it comes out.
    08-21-11 10:45 AM
    Bluetooth DUN is so simple that it has never been much of an issue...
    08-21-11 02:03 PM
    Yes, but you have to run DM on the client device...which you don't need through the WiFi Hotspot...

Now, I hate to admit, but I have an iPAD and as much as I hate it, Bell doesn't allow me to share data across my plans and the BB DM doesn't work on the iPAD...so my only option there is 3G on the iPAD, which I have to pay for...and don't really like incurring that extra expense. The BB WiFi Hotspot takes care of all of this.
    08-21-11 02:09 PM
    I think a lot of people are actually waiting for this feature including me. I just did upgrade to 6GB plan to put this in usage. So, for sure using DM works but not having to go through all that trouble will be so great. With that said, to all Playbook owners, we'll still be able to access App World using this, rather than not being able through the tethering function.

My 2 cents.
    08-21-11 03:56 PM
    Yes! If Rogers gets it then that means that TELUS will have it very soon! I need to put my 6 GB of data to good use
    Dido, I just signed up for the 6 gig "student" plan for $55 :P

CS
    08-21-11 04:00 PM
    Desktop manager and bluetooth DUN are indeed very nice but the wifi hot spot takes it a step further. I currently use my playbook and blackberry tether via DUN but app world is not able to run on bluetooth. You will also not be able to take advantage of that extra hspa+ unless you are connected to wifi so the hotspot feature helps with that. Then of course the best benefit is being able to share the internet with multiple devices. Right now i can only share the internet with my playbook or laptop. Wifi hot spot will allow me to connect my playbook and laptop at the same time if there isnt a traditional wifi network available.
    08-21-11 05:26 PM
    Pretty sure he's talking about UMA, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's rolled out that early. It's not free though. You still get charged your usage (whatever it is on your normal plan) when using UMA without the TalkSpot plan...

Just a heads up so you don't get in trouble. It won't be free, though. Guaranteed.
    08-21-11 05:53 PM
    Pretty sure he's talking about UMA, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's rolled out that early. It's not free though. You still get charged your usage (whatever it is on your normal plan) when using UMA without the TalkSpot plan...

Just a heads up so you don't get in trouble. It won't be free, though. Guaranteed.
    UMA is just auto switching between a "preferred" WiFi or 3G/4G connection, I highly doubt even the blood sucking Canadian Carriers would charge for that simple software option.

Acting as a WiFi Hotspot is another animal and no doubt some carriers will charge for this and some won't, just like the difference in policy for BT/USB tethering between carriers.

CS
    08-21-11 06:45 PM
    08-21-11 08:13 PM
    I am NOT talking about UMA. It is in fact a WiFi hotspot just like those mifi things you carry around. Connect your device to it just like you would on your home wifi network. ipod touch now becomes an iphone 4 -the phone
    08-22-11 01:18 AM
    As soon as this is confirmed I will buy the phone. It's the one feature I am really looking forward to having.

WIFI hotspot with Bold 9900 + PlayBook = WIN for RIM
    webadpro likes this.
    08-22-11 05:05 AM
    Good !!! If hope its correct

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-11 07:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD