N4BB just posted an article about RIM's direction and at the end of the article they state that they have received information regarding QNX possibly running on the Bold 9900/9930's and Torch 9850/9860's. They said they have not been able to confirm, but it would be awesome if this turns out to be true.

The Big Picture for BlackBerry, What RIM is Focusing on | N4BB - News for BlackBerry - leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews

You have probably all been looking closely at RIM, what they are doing, what they are planning. Weve got some images that can you understand what is RIMs approach and what they are focusing on.
    The image shows a slide titled The Big Picture where RIM shows some of the main points they are focusing on, such as having fun and valuable applications, BlackBerry Cloud Services, further QNX platform integration, which is important since we will hopefully sooner than later be using QNX on our smartphones aswell. You can see IM & Social as one of the topics, which makes sense seeing how RIM has just bough NewBay, the Ireland based digital content sharing company.

The slide below shows what RIM wants to use NFC for, thing such as serve as a keycard, share contacts, apps, access videos and even pay for parking or pay tolls.

We also got some info that QNX could possibly run on the new Bold 9900/9930 and Torch 9860/9850, but none of this has been confirmed.

We are liking the big picture so far, what do you guys think of all this?
    10-07-11 02:32 PM
    Hmm, would have to be a pared down version of QNX if it's going to run on the non-dualcore processor in the New Bold and Torch... Understand to really run QNX you need the dualcore processor and more memory than the current 9900 & 9930.
    10-07-11 02:39 PM
    Hmm, would have to be a pared down version of QNX if it's going to run on the non-dualcore processor in the New Bold and Torch... Understand to really run QNX you need the dualcore processor and more memory than the current 9900 & 9930.
    I agree... No way Bold 99xx will run QNX. At least not the full proper version of QNX.
    10-07-11 02:52 PM
    QNX runs on single-core as well as dual-core... the "we need dual-core for QNX" is just some RIM marketing thing....
    10-07-11 03:00 PM
    I agree... No way Bold 99xx will run QNX. At least not the full proper version of QNX.
    Like Lindstrom said, the archictecture of a single core 1.2Ghz CPU should be MORE than ample to run a "full" version of the QNX OS.

Keep in mind that the resolution of the phone is lower than the playbook, which in turn reduces the taxation of GPU-related performance tasks since there are less pixels to render.

I fail to see why QNX can't run full speed on a 9900 if iOS runs great on an 800 Mhz 512MB memory iPhone 4, or if Android runs fantastic on single core devices.
    10-07-11 03:04 PM
    This is just not ever going to happen. No way. Just stop and think about it for a moment.

Here's RIM, widely accused of old and fuddy duddy phones and this briliant new OS called QNX. Why on earth would they put it on to an ld model phone - even AFTER the launch.

No, people, QNX will only ever be run on phones specifically designed for QNX. It will not be backwards compatible to current phones.

Now, no-one has specifically told me this but I surmise this information from past behaviour. Of late, RIM has not released many beta OSs for its older phones such as the 9700. Rather it has been forward looking and it is my belief that this trend will continue with QNX.
    10-07-11 03:16 PM
    Let's define the "full and proper" version of QNX: ANYBODY?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-11 03:35 PM
    RIM can hardly optimize os7 to run on the 1.2ghz cpu. The batter drain is an issue and they havent really made significant changes using the hardware. Doubt qnx will be any different
    10-07-11 03:42 PM
    This is just not ever going to happen. No way. Just stop and think about it for a moment.

Here's RIM, widely accused of old and fuddy duddy phones and this briliant new OS called QNX. Why on earth would they put it on to an ld model phone - even AFTER the launch.

No, people, QNX will only ever be run on phones specifically designed for QNX. It will not be backwards compatible to current phones.

Now, no-one has specifically told me this but I surmise this information from past behaviour. Of late, RIM has not released many beta OSs for its older phones such as the 9700. Rather it has been forward looking and it is my belief that this trend will continue with QNX.

It wasa said that os 6 would not be offered on 9700. But it was.

The only reason for not releasing qnx on the new phones would be marketing to drive sales to the new phones or because the performance suFfered too much. Recall that qnx was tested on a single core playbook initally and qnx for the phone is/was being tested on a single core phone.

It would be aventageous to offer a slightly stripped version for these current devices similar to how ios was rolled out to the 3gs and 3g versus the iphone 4. It keeps their customer happy by getting updated software while also offerning upgrading to a newer device to access those newer feature on the new phone.

sashas likes this.
    10-07-11 03:42 PM
    RIM can hardly optimize os7 to run on the 1.2ghz cpu. The batter drain is an issue and they havent really made significant changes using the hardware. Doubt qnx will be any different

I don't understand what you're getting at though. I agree the battery life isn't "great" but it's no worse than my 9700 with the same usage.

QNX won't improve/worsen the battery life, provided the background processes aren't taxing the CPU into high-power states. I think OS7 does have the odd time where the CPU is taxed by the OS, and yes this does affect battery life. But I'd want to think each OS isn't perfect when it comes to efficiency, and so I'd be betting that battery life is going to be on par with os7.
    10-07-11 03:53 PM
    Aren't the QNX test phones, the "Colt", single core?
    10-07-11 04:16 PM
    We also got some info that QNX could possibly run on the new Bold 9900/9930 and Torch 9860/9850, but none of this has been confirmed.

This give me hope. C'mon RIM, it's time to fly......
    10-07-11 04:23 PM
    If you open your mouth and make a baseless statement, then yes I will be. I don't think it's too much to ask to do your homework prior to making statements on something, or so I'd hope.

This is how FUD (fear, uncertainty,doubt) is born. Someone says something without doing their homework and then some innocent browsers take their word for gospel. From here, the rumor proliferates and takes a life on its own.

That's what I've seen with the QNX and 9900 crap. A few months ago people were stating that just because the 9900 wasn't dual core that it wouldn't run QNX. Where do people get these ideas? Maybe mss-ca read someone's post who stated this FALSE idea, but it doesn't excuse her not doing the homework to accept/reject this idea.

So yes, I will be a **** when someone wants to state incorrect ideas.

"People" weren't stating it RIM said that it wasn't going to happen!!

No one is saying that it's not technically possible, but it's all on RIM to decide to develop and modify BBX to run on old devices. At the moment they have said that they are NOT going to do it. Until they come out and say otherwise there is no point in going on...
    10-07-11 04:35 PM
    It would be great if RIM did offer QNX for the new phones. Especially if they manage a Q1 release date. That would convince me, a customer who bought the 9930 knowing that the QNX phone was coming out in less than half a year, that RIM does care about me as a customer.

My biggest criticism of Apple back in the day was that they left existing customers behind every year. But that all changed with the iPhone as they've consistently offered the next OS to their existing customers (except ones with old hardware like the 3G)--and, notably, with a feature missing here or there (read: no Siri on iPhone 4).

RIM would be showing everyone they're willing to improve existing customers' phones by doing the same. The 9900/9930/etc have 1.2GHz single core processors and supposedly less RAM than a future QNX phone. If QNX is as good as everyone says, there's no reason why they can't offer a limited QNX experience to those users by tweaking app management.
    Last edited by sashas; 10-07-11 at 05:07 PM.
    10-07-11 05:05 PM
    It wasa said that os 6 would not be offered on 9700. But it was.

The only reason for not releasing qnx on the new phones would be marketing to drive sales to the new phones or because the performance suFfered too much. Recall that qnx was tested on a single core playbook initally and qnx for the phone is/was being tested on a single core phone.

It would be aventageous to offer a slightly stripped version for these current devices similar to how ios was rolled out to the 3gs and 3g versus the iphone 4. It keeps their customer happy by getting updated software while also offerning upgrading to a newer device to access those newer feature on the new phone.

Your statement is just not correct. RIM ALWAYS said that it would release OS6 for the 9700. You can read about that right here RIM launches BlackBerry 6 platform -- Engadget

For the rest, I agree with you. Driving customers to new devices is the obvious path for RIM to go.

I do not agree with repeating the stripped version of an OS on older devices. RIM did that with OS6 (yes) on the 9700. I am certain of this because at the time, I owned a 9700 and my wife owned a 9780 and there was a clear difference between the base theme delivered for the two devices. The 9780 theme displayed more information as it had more memory.

I do not believe that RIM will do this again for the general public.
    10-07-11 05:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD