FYI, five phone calls / Rogers support reps later and I gained a new account / login for access to rogers.blackberry.com so that I can log in to the BIS and configure things on my own via the web instead of the 9900 itself.

This is my first BlackBerry and in my own efforts to exhaust email setup / sync with my gmail account I found many tips that required getting into the BIS page to access settings that are not available on the device itself. Several Rogers reps prior told me they wouldn't be able to set this up for me as the new OS7 devices don't use BIS, they are based on BlackBerry ID, everything is to be done through the device, etc etc....
    09-18-11 05:09 PM
    If there is a will, then there is a way.
    09-18-11 08:12 PM
    I tried to register using my Bold 9900 for Telus and it came back with an error saying that must use the phone to register.... what the ****? I am using my phone to register!

"Account is not accessible via HTML browser. Please use your device to access BlackBerry Internet Service."
    Last edited by mss-ca; 09-18-11 at 10:00 PM.
    09-18-11 09:58 PM
    Yup...they want you to use the phone's data...as they make more money when you exceed your plan...

@ the OP, what features more did you find via the desktop browser over the phone itself exactly?
    09-18-11 10:27 PM
    Yup...they want you to use the phone's data...as they make more money when you exceed your plan...

Email setup via the device is not going to pull significant data. Don't think it's quite the cash grab.
    09-18-11 10:44 PM
    it's not that... its the slow changes of BIS.

problem starts when the user is to impatient and they first set up your BB without switching your imei on the bis site.

so without switching on your already created BIS account the device/relay creates a username that is tied to your blackberry ID. that account from an agents BIS admit doesn't have access to create a username or password.

at first it wasn't possible.. BUT all you have to do is
    A - log in to your old bis account and switch device
    B - tell the tech agent you had a bis account with your previous device (they can zero out the PIN and IMEI on the BB ID account and add the new PIN/IMEI to your old account.
    C - ask the tech agent to delete your blackberry ID account and create a new one (make sure they change your hosted blackberry.net email before deleting)

don't be surprised if/when the bis web portal is no longer an option
    09-18-11 11:07 PM
    its not a cash grab - they just discontinued the web service a few yrs ago
    09-18-11 11:25 PM
    im surprised it took you that long... i only had to make one phone call and asked them for my login and password.
    09-19-11 02:23 AM