I just got off the phone with AT&T tech support trying to resolve our voicemail issues, and in conversation we find out that they do indeed do have noth 3G and 4G plans as separate provisions and only if an AT&T recognized 4G IMEI is in the system you won't get 4G speeds, even if the phone shows the H+, now that's a bummer!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-11 12:31 AM
    It sure *seems* faster. I'll see what I can find out.

09-14-11 06:38 AM
    FYI, The Telus H+ is much much SLOWER than Rogers H+ network in Canada. I tested mine and it is supper slow. Don't buy a Telus or even Bell if you have the choice of buying a Rogers 9900 in Canada.
    09-14-11 06:54 AM
    It sure *seems* faster. I'll see what I can find out.

I agree, it "feels" faster and in the mobilespeedtest scores I get like 8MB/sec, but I tested a tmobile phone and it got like 12 MB/sec, I have nver gotten double digits on this phone. Anyway, they say the plans provisionings are different and it is device dependant. Perhaps when they oficially release the 9900 the system will recognize the phone as a valid 4G device and allow the plan selection (like the 9810)

09-14-11 07:26 AM
    TMO's might be faster solely due to an uncongested network.

09-14-11 08:36 AM
    Did you get anywhere with the Visual Voicemail issue?
    09-14-11 10:36 AM
    I'm inclined to think this is a mistake on that rep's part..
    09-14-11 10:58 AM
    "Grabs Popcorn"
    09-14-11 11:07 AM
    Did you get anywhere with the Visual Voicemail issue?
    Nope, it is still hit or miss and very inconsistent.
    09-14-11 11:14 AM
    Thanks for the replies.
    So it turns out the provisions for data plans are different for 4G. I found out by comparing the options available for plans on the ATT website between a 9810 and a 9800. So I borrowed my friend's IMEI from her 9810 and had CS put it under my account to replace my 9900. The CS rep then changed my data plan to a 4G plan. So all that is true and confirmed; however, the data speeds are the same, between 7 and 9 MB/s.

Conclusion: whether the provision planned is 4G or not I was still getting the 4G data bandwith.
    The + is that this fixed the problem I was having with YouMail not connecting to the Network.

09-14-11 09:26 PM
    FYI, The Telus H+ is much much SLOWER than Rogers H+ network in Canada. I tested mine and it is supper slow. Don't buy a Telus or even Bell if you have the choice of buying a Rogers 9900 in Canada.
    I have many of both Bell and Rogers 9900's on our BES. No perceptible difference in speeds between the two, however, Bell /Telus has far superior country-wide coverage and reception. Now, maybe I misunderstood what you meant by "supperslow". Does that mean it slows down at supper time?
    09-14-11 09:52 PM
    I have many of both Bell and Rogers 9900's on our BES. No perceptible difference in speeds between the two, however, Bell /Telus has far superior country-wide coverage and reception. Now, maybe I misunderstood what you meant by "supperslow". Does that mean it slows down at supper time?
    I guess I should have named the thread differently, the whole pint was more about an unlocked 9900 on ATT...

09-14-11 10:04 PM
    the data speeds will be the same regardless.
    it's still the same network, the HSPA+ is just enhanced backhaul and that's what increases the speeds. Which data plan provisioning won't make a difference, as you've seen per speed tests.
    09-14-11 10:07 PM
    TMO's might be faster solely due to an uncongested network.

Good to see you Greg!!! As for AT&T, keep in mind that the first AT&T "4G" (H+) phones didn't receive H+ speeds until recently. As for the 9900's from Rogers on AT&T H+, it's supposed to be only AT&T IMEI's, but it is hit or miss.
    09-14-11 10:08 PM
    So are you getting the H+ icon with this phone? I just got an unbranded 9900 and all Im getting is 3G with ATT How do I get the H+ to work?
    09-14-11 10:24 PM
    I have yet to see the 3G icon on my unlocked Rogers 9900 on AT&T. I see H+. I've also seen it drop to EDGE, but never 3G. My speed tests seem to indicate H+ speeds.

7MB test:

Last edited by rrrebo; 09-15-11 at 12:26 AM.
    09-15-11 12:21 AM
    rrrebo, if u don't mind me asking which at&t plan do you have? and did u buy ur 9900 on ebay or canada?
    09-15-11 12:36 AM
    Good to see you Greg!!! As for AT&T, keep in mind that the first AT&T "4G" (H+) phones didn't receive H+ speeds until recently. As for the 9900's from Rogers on AT&T H+, it's supposed to be only AT&T IMEI's, but it is hit or miss.
    Is there any way to truly find out if a unlocked rogers 9900 is geting H+ speeds running on the AT&T network?

09-15-11 01:08 AM
    I did a little bit of testing and came to the conclusion that even if the "H+" icon is not displaying on the screen you can still be receiving "H+" speeds.

In my case, I have an unbranded 9900 that I'm using on ATT and it is only showing the 3G icon. I ran test both from my 9900 which was on 3G and my 9810 which displays H+ and both scored about the same when tested several times. I then ran the tests on my 9700 which does not support H+ at all at runs 3G and it scored significantly lower.

What do you guys think?

09-15-11 01:47 AM
    So are you getting the H+ icon with this phone? I just got an unbranded 9900 and all Im getting is 3G with ATT How do I get the H+ to work?
    Yes I only have seen H+ or EDGE

09-15-11 02:02 AM
    What do you mean "supposed to be only At&t IMEI's" ? please share some information if possible
    09-15-11 03:04 AM
    rrrebo, if u don't mind me asking which at&t plan do you have? and did u buy ur 9900 on ebay or canada?
    I have an AT&T Family plan (1400 minutes) currently supporting my 9900, my wife's 9700, and my son's iPhone 3G. My previous device is a 9700. We are each on the 2GB BB data plan.

My 9900 is Rogers-branded, unlocked, from Canada.
    09-15-11 08:23 AM
    HA! I don't get anything more than 1Mb/s on Rogers (Rogers-branded 9900 on Rogers network) ...
    Rogers 4G/LTE in Toronto launches September 28th so we won't see the speed these guys are seeing
    09-15-11 08:49 AM
    I just got off the phone with AT&T tech support trying to resolve our voicemail issues, and in conversation we find out that they do indeed do have noth 3G and 4G plans as separate provisions and only if an AT&T recognized 4G IMEI is in the system you won't get 4G speeds, even if the phone shows the H+, now that's a bummer!!

Yeah, pretty sure that is not accurate.
    09-15-11 09:05 AM
    Just find a IMEI for the "Torch 2" and ask a representative to add the IMEI to your account since the torch 2 has the HSP+ provisioned features. This will work 100% trust me.
    I already did that. I originally had the Torch 2 and the 4G plan. I switches the sim card to my 9900 and got no H+. They then added my 9900 IMEI which changed my plan back to 3G and still no H+. They then re-added my Torch 2 IMEI which switched my plan again to 4G and still no H+ with my 9900.

Any clues?
    09-15-11 09:39 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD