How much of a risk is it to buy a test unit of the Bold 9900? I know someone who has one, and I'm a bit hesistant. I've checked the IMEI number and its confirmed as a test unit. Just wondered how much of a risk it is?

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-11 05:36 PM
    depends on how much you are paying
    08-02-11 05:41 PM
    Risk of what?
    08-02-11 05:41 PM
    I wouldn't incase it gets cut off or something.
    08-02-11 05:42 PM
    if its close to retail..i wouldnt bother... the dates are coming up too soon..
    08-02-11 05:43 PM
    I can get it for about half the price of a full retail one. Just wanted other peoples thoughts about it

08-02-11 05:45 PM
    doooo it.... worst case... sell it close to retail after playing with it for a couple days...
    08-02-11 05:46 PM
    I would not get it... Unless you are big pimping with 27 inch rims on your rusted Oldsmobile, I'd pass...
    08-02-11 05:46 PM
    Its oh so tempting though :P

08-02-11 05:47 PM
    If it is half the cost, you should get it. Even if they DO turn it off and I have never seen that happen in all the test units I have owned, you could sell it for parts on eBay to recover your money. I have test and pre-release units that are working after 2 years. RIM seldom turns them off unless they are stolen.

If you have the money, enjoy! It can still be weeks before the others have it.
    08-02-11 05:50 PM
    let me buy it
    08-02-11 05:51 PM
    If it is half the cost, you should get it. Even if they DO turn it off and I have never seen that happen in all the test units I have owned, you could sell it for parts on eBay to recover your money. I have test and pre-release units that are working after 2 years. RIM seldom turns them off unless they are stolen.

If you have the money, enjoy! It can still be weeks before the others have it.
    Yeah the guy who has some, was telling me its never happened to him either. He wants �300 for it. Still a bit skeptical, what's best to look out for when buying it and asking specifc questions...what would be good to find out?

08-02-11 05:55 PM
    Yeah the guy who has some, was telling me its never happened to him either. He wants �300 for it. Still a bit skeptical, what's best to look out for when buying it and asking specifc questions...what would be good to find out?

I will buy one for 300

08-02-11 05:57 PM

If you can, stick active SIM with Blackberry services in the unit. If you have a laptop or computer available, check to see if you can register it on the network. If the PIN was not released you are not going to get anyone to help you there.

Use the phone, try out the camera and WiFi. Chances are is it new and unused. Mine was a pre-release units and it had the factory plastic on it and new been used. Yours might be the same
    08-02-11 05:59 PM
    I will buy one for 300

300 pounds, not dollars.... that's close to $492 U.S. Dollars, I wouldn't buy it.
    08-02-11 06:12 PM
    300 pounds, not dollars.... that's close to $492 U.S. Dollars, I wouldn't buy it.
    Ya but their Retail is about $920 US dollars since they pay considerably more for Consumer Electronics in the UK.

I would jump on it for 300 pounds! as has been said they almost never kill the test units, as some pretty important people end up with test units and they keep them.

you'll get to play with it long before release!
    08-02-11 08:45 PM
    They have another one i am in if they do
    08-02-11 08:54 PM
    How does the imei tell if its a test unit or a retail unit ?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    08-03-11 08:26 AM
    IF you have the money to spare, I would get it. It's a good gamble, BUT it IS a gamble. Worstcase like Greg said you can sell it for parts and get some or most of your money back. Keep your a backup device for a while after release JUST incase. It's RIGHT after release that they kill device PINs IF they do.
    08-03-11 08:35 AM
    How would one differentiate between a test unit and a retail unit's IMEI?
    08-03-11 02:23 PM
    Can anybody give an answer to dis please

08-04-11 11:18 AM
    [QUOTE=kevintweedie;6533193]How much of a risk is it to buy a test unit of the Bold 9900? I know someone who has one, and I'm a bit hesistant. I've checked the IMEI number and its confirmed as a test unit. Just wondered how much of a risk it is?

Thanks

How yoou confirmed from the imei ,tht its a test unit ?

08-04-11 11:19 AM
    How would one differentiate between a test unit and a retail unit's IMEI?
    Engineering units in the past have an IMEI starting with 0044

08-04-11 11:59 AM
    Engineering units in the past have an IMEI starting with 0044

Oh, and now noone knows?
    08-04-11 12:05 PM
    Oh, and now noone knows?
    I don't know if the new OS7 test units are the same as I haven't got one, but every other pre-release BlackBerry I've owned has had an IMEI starting with 0044... and none of them were ever PIN-blocked

08-04-11 12:09 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD