01-14-12 03:47 PM
201 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Mine hasn't bricked once.
    12-29-11 06:41 PM
    Mine hasn't bricked once.
    Lucky till now...
    but bomb is ticking....
    Last edited by infinus; 12-29-11 at 07:25 PM.
    12-29-11 07:20 PM
    Lucky till now...
    but bomb is ticking....

. . .
    \|/
    `--+--'
    /|\
    ' | '
    |
    |
    ,--'#`--.
    |#######|
    _.-'#######`-._
    ,-'###############`-.
    ,'#####################`,
    /#########################\
    |###########################|
    |#############################|
    |###########################|
    \#########################/
    `.#####################,'
    `._###############_,'
    `--..#####..--'
    If it's got something to do with the stock oem battery, I've got my fat on.
    12-29-11 07:22 PM
    I'm not sure what you folks want RIM to do. They've admitted there's a problem, and that they believe it's software related. No doubt they're continuing to investigate the issue.
    "Admitted" to a single news outlet which happened to ask about it, and referenced in a single article that was apparently not even known to the thousands of users here or any of the customer service reps at Verizon Wireless (one of whom fought me on the existence of this issue just last week as it wasn't in her system) until I dug up the article on MSNBC a few days ago.

Can you imagine Intel going to such lengths to hide the existence, cause, and possible preventative measures for the data loss bug in their SSD's that cropped up not so long ago?

This bug does effect businesses and users alike, and supporting a product with a known issue, yet having no idea what causes the issue or if there is any way to prevent it or predict which devices it may happen on leaves us with nothing but a game of Russian Roulette. If this is how RIM deals with data loss issues of their "business centric" products I can only say that they are going about it the wrong way, and they are alienating their core, high value customers.

I've had a couple of employees migrated back to 9650s in the meantime as they are recording data on their phone that cannot vanish into thin air like this, at least not with such a high chance of probability.

I might be able to contact somebody at RIM using our t-code and get more details on the nature of this, if they've found them, but it's unlikely due to the wall of silence you've mentioned and not particularly helpful until VZW fully tests and releases whichever update is determined to resolve this issue, and this is assuming it's even a software related issue. With such a large percentage of devices at my company failing (all delivered in a single batch), yet other people with 250 devices deployed and having no failures as of yet, it seems that it could be batches of phones from certain factories meaning a possible hardware issue, though nobody knows at this point, and we can only hope RIM does, as they have not communicated anything in all this time other than that they are aware of the issue and they believe it to be software related.

In response to your first inquiry, what I want is for RIM to communicate with us, their customers. They are after all a communications company.
    Last edited by ChilledBB; 12-29-11 at 09:33 PM.
    BlazorBoy and ViaCassian like this.
    12-29-11 09:26 PM
    When the Pearl came out I called my 60 year old Dad in Vegas to scream how amazing it was to have a phone, camera and music player in 1 device.

It was groundbreaking even though the thing crashed 50 times a day.

When the 9700 came out and I predicted RIM would be the next Palm and dissolve or be sold within 5 years I was branded a troll.

RIM is the next Palm. And I'm no troll.

I remember that. I was about the only to support and understand your statements as they were intended, with just the right touch of sarcastic joviality. I think most rational thinking folk would, and already have, agreed with your thoughts on this, but even so I still wish them to make a comeback, and hold that little hope they will.

In fact, I just ditched my Galaxy S II to order the 9900. I know it lacks some of the amazing features my 9700 & 9780 had, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that updates will come to solve these minor lackings and I will again fall in love with RIM.

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk
    12-29-11 09:40 PM
    "Admitted" to a single news outlet which happened to ask about it, and referenced in a single article that was apparently not even known to the thousands of users here or any of the customer service reps at Verizon Wireless (one of whom fought me on the existence of this issue just last week as it wasn't in her system) until I dug up the article on MSNBC a few days ago.

Can you imagine Intel going to such lengths to hide the existence, cause, and possible preventative measures for the data loss bug in their SSD's that cropped up not so long ago?

This bug does effect businesses and users alike, and supporting a product with a known issue, yet having no idea what causes the issue or if there is any way to prevent it or predict which devices it may happen on leaves us with nothing but a game of Russian Roulette. If this is how RIM deals with data loss issues of their "business centric" products I can only say that they are going about it the wrong way, and they are alienating their core, high value customers.

I've had a couple of employees migrated back to 9650s in the meantime as they are recording data on their phone that cannot vanish into thin air like this, at least not with such a high chance of probability.

I might be able to contact somebody at RIM using our t-code and get more details on the nature of this, if they've found them, but it's unlikely due to the wall of silence you've mentioned and not particularly helpful until VZW fully tests and releases whichever update is determined to resolve this issue, and this is assuming it's even a software related issue. With such a large percentage of devices at my company failing (all delivered in a single batch), yet other people with 250 devices deployed and having no failures as of yet, it seems that it could be batches of phones from certain factories meaning a possible hardware issue, though nobody knows at this point, and we can only hope RIM does, as they have not communicated anything in all this time other than that they are aware of the issue and they believe it to be software related.

In response to your first inquiry, what I want is for RIM to communicate with us, their customers. They are after all a communications company.
    Well said. We must hope RIM is listening. I guess only the threat of witholding info from stockholder gets them to talk.
    12-29-11 10:31 PM
    All I can say is, keep your 9900's above red until the february patch or run the risk of brickage ! My 2 bricked when left on charge over night on red, so thats when the problem strikes as far as I can tell. Havent heard of anyone's device bricking when on white battery?
    12-30-11 08:00 AM
    Look the software fix to prevent this issue is out there for individuals who want it now. 9900 users download AT&T's latest software. 9930 users download 7.1 for Sprint. It will move to the other carriers as they certify.
    themaidenmaniac likes this.
    12-30-11 08:23 AM
    Thanks hooper. How do you figure this?

Is the latest 9900 AT&T version v7.0.0.2392 ? Im on Orange in the UK, but I guess it should work fine.

My Software platform version is 5.0.0.296 & the at&t one that i see on the rim site is 5.0.0.733. Not sure if that is the very latest that you refer to though
    Last edited by themaidenmaniac; 12-30-11 at 08:55 AM.
    12-30-11 08:52 AM
    Look the software fix to prevent this issue is out there for individuals who want it now. 9900 users download AT&T's latest software. 9930 users download 7.1 for Sprint. It will move to the other carriers as they certify.
    If this fix is for real, then it's not only AT&T's .576 that has it, but also .579 .585 and .590 for 9900 users.

Thanks hooper. How do you figure this?

Is the latest 9900 AT&T version v7.0.0.2392 ? Im on Orange in the UK, but I guess it should work fine.

My Software platform version is 5.0.0.296 & the at&t one that i see on the rim site is 5.0.0.733. Not sure if that is the very latest that you refer to though
    Just update to Orange's official .585
    12-30-11 09:00 AM
    My third replacement 9930 (Verizon) just bricked this morning. I only had it for one day, but I purposely bricked it by letting the battery die to test whether the replacement had fixed the defect. Blackberry is obviously still replacing bricked phones with defective ones, as this is my second replacement to brick in the past two weeks. When i get the replacement, I will load the 7.1 Sprint OS and will test it by letting the battery completely die before charging it.

Interestingly, when Verizon overnights a new phone to me, it does not come with a battery. Verizon makes me keep my existing battery to use in the new phone. If the battery is contributing to the bricking problem, why wouldn't Blackberry tell Verizon to replace the battery?

My speculation is that Blackberry as a rational "in it for the long haul" business ceases to exist. Blackberry is in the Enron death throes and will likely be gone by next year. The company's stock price supports my conjecture. The Wall Street Journal has published a number of articles over the past year reporting on Blackberry's decline. I am sending a letter to the WSJ asking them to report on the bricking problem with Blackberry's flagship phone. There is certainly enough evidence on Crackberry for a news story.
    12-30-11 09:09 AM
    I lost my Bold 9900

Less than a month !!!!!

Thats unacceptable RIM just looking without any even respond !!

We are customers
    And i paid 738$ for it !!

And now i lost everything !!
    kellyweng88 likes this.
    12-30-11 09:20 AM

I stand corrected. They made no legitimate press release, and they should have. As I've said many times, while RIM makes the best business phones on the planet, they don't have a clue how to conduct it.

As for a VZW knowing about the issue, I'm sure they're aware. The person you talked to obviously not, but it's not RIM's responsibility to inform every employee, of every carrier. Heck, I called VZW about a service problem two days ago. There was an automatic recording when I first connected, informing me they were aware, and working on a problem in my area. When I talked to the tech, they hadn't been informed yet. It's my experience, working in large corporations, that most have communication breakdowns at times.

I'm not excusing RIM's failings, but I am trying to be realistic about the situation. I have taken the proactive approach, of writing to RIM directly, and would encourage any creative enough to find the media contact's email, they do the same.
    12-30-11 09:25 AM
    Has Kevin reached out to them already regarding the issue?
    12-30-11 09:46 AM
    Chill out, guys. RIM is known for it's ability to remain silent, everything they say or do CAN and WILL be used against them.
    Betmen likes this.
    12-30-11 09:55 AM
    In fact, I just ditched my Galaxy S II to order the 9900. I know it lacks some of the amazing features my 9700 & 9780 had, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that updates will come to solve these minor lackings and I will again fall in love with RIM.

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk
    BIG MISTAKE getting rid of the Galaxy S II. It will do things that BlackBerry NEVER will. When that phone receives ICS there is nothing that will touch it when it comes to functionality. This from a HUGE BlackBerry lover who finally stepped away and say the light.
    12-30-11 10:42 AM
    Has Kevin reached out to them already regarding the issue?
    Considering he's a repeat victim, I'd have to say yes.
    12-30-11 11:04 AM
    Hot potato!!!!!!!!!
    I am days away from buying an unlocked 9900 here in the uk and don't want to brick the beast of plenty.
    Even though I will be my service provider who is o2, does that mean I can only download the latest O2 update or any update for the 9900?
    If any one has the best advice for my soon to be 9900 that would be great
    12-30-11 11:11 AM
    Even though I will be my service provider who is o2, does that mean I can only download the latest O2 update or any update for the 9900?
    You've asked that a couple of times already... you can install any 9900 OS version
    12-30-11 11:14 AM
    Always nice to get a second opinion from my learned friends of the beast that is BB.
    Bravo I say.
    12-30-11 11:17 AM
    BIG MISTAKE getting rid of the Galaxy S II. It will do things that BlackBerry NEVER will. When that phone receives ICS there is nothing that will touch it when it comes to functionality. This from a HUGE BlackBerry lover who finally stepped away and say the light.
    NEVER??? Like what exactly? Download Apps...

I have a S 2 as well.
    12-30-11 12:47 PM
    NEVER??? Like what exactly? Download Apps...
    Or HDMI mirror to TV..stream Netflix to tv..free turn by turn voice navigation..video call via Skype..backup entire phone wirelessly. Just a few things on top of the multitude of apps..
    12-30-11 12:54 PM
    awww my 9900 bricked... tried reloading the software.. nothing works. calling rogers live for a new one.
    12-30-11 01:22 PM
    awww my 9900 bricked... tried reloading the software.. nothing works. calling rogers live for a new one.
    Sorry to hear... which OS version were you running, just out of interest?
    12-30-11 01:27 PM
    pretty sure it was .540
    my batt was drained last night and it hasnt been on since. Tried re-loading the software. but i keep getting a message that the Application Loader cant something
    Wiping didn't work aswell since BBsak doesnt connect to my phone... going to Rogers in a few to test out a new battery/blackberry. Is that the normal procedure?
    12-30-11 01:38 PM
201 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD