01-14-12 04:47 PM
201 12345 ...
tools
    I don't even bother to update my thread anymore. There's too many new threads each day! It's not all user error. That's just silly.
    Absolutely not user error. I have done nothing with my devices that is different from any other device I've ever owned. Why would RIM acknowledge the existence of the problem if it were user error, particularly at this point, with the problems they are facing?
    12-28-11 10:30 AM
    It's obviously a good percentage of phones, for RIM to publicly acknowledge the issue. They've also seem to put a lot of effort into releasing new OS versions to carriers (see Sprint's official 7.1s).

One thing I know for sure....

There is nothing to be gained from beating each other up.
    12-28-11 10:49 AM
    We are all using the same phones and software.

A 9930 is a 9930 etc,,...

We all download and use the same operating systems,,...

No operating system has been singled out as causing a bricking or nuking problem,,...

The only difference here is the users.

Be honest, how many times have you read about a user saying somethng similar to the following in regard to bricking and or nuking, "I'm on my 3rd 9930 and I am blah, blah, blah"?

How many times have you seen someone claim the first replacement unit fixed a bricking and or nuking problem?

If we are all using the same operating systems and people are able to recover a phone that boots to an error code than why would anyone exchange their current device for another?

Because some of us know the way around a Blackberry better than others?

Come on, be honest!

Has anyone here at Crackberry ever seen a user take credit for transforming a working $600 phone into a device that (they can no longer get to function)?

Ever?

Click to view quoted image
    If my 9930 bricked, I would exchange it. I don't care whether it's hardware related or software. I just want a phone that works that I don't have to waste time on trying to fix myself.

It's not my job to fix RIMs products, it's theirs. My 9630 bricked once and I had it replaced. It had an app error 523 that I knew how to fix and I got that one replaced.

The phones should work without requiring me to spend time fixing it. Cell phones aren't a fun hobby to me, it's a tool. It should just work.
    12-28-11 11:03 AM
    RIM would love a hardware component/manufacturing defect as the cause, because liability would cacade back to contract manufacturers and then to original component suppliers. A recall would have zero cost implication for RIM
    Couldnt disagree with you more. If RIM had to do a recall on their flagship phone right now..the media would be ALL over it, and even if it wasn't RIMs fault..they would get skewered.

They have every reason to keep this as hush hush as possible right now..because they need more bad press like they need another hole in the head.
    12-28-11 11:04 AM
    If my 9930 bricked, I would exchange it. I don't care whether it's hardware related or software. I just want a phone that works that I don't have to waste time on trying to fix myself.

It's not my job to fix RIMs products, it's theirs. My 9630 bricked once and I had it replaced. It had an app error 523 that I knew how to fix and I got that one replaced.

The phones should work without requiring me to spend time fixing it. Cell phones aren't a fun hobby to me, it's a tool. It should just work.
    While I agree with this in theory, in practice it isn't always possible. If you have a software related issue, and choose to wait for a replacement, that's fine, but most people aren't capable of going without their phone for the day. A 523 would most likely be occurring from a 3rd party app, certainly not something RIM would be responsible for.

However, if it's a repeated problem, then it's more likely hardware related, and replacing it is the only resolution. These bricking/nuking issues are a case where exchanging the phone, seems the rational option.
    lwaysluking likes this.
    12-28-11 11:10 AM
    Couldnt disagree with you more. If RIM had to do a recall on their flagship phone right now..the media would be ALL over it, and even if it wasn't RIMs fault..they would get skewered.

They have every reason to keep this as hush hush as possible right now..because they need more bad press like they need another hole in the head.
    Too bad for RIM they're losing faith in the very people who stick to their products - i.e. the CEO at my job who just has his 9930 brick this weekend. If it wasn't for him we would have been onto Android or iPhones by now. After he emailed me asking if he really lost all of his photos, and if the new phone would not have this problem, what could I tell him? I simply told him RIM acknowledged over a month ago that there is an issue, and they have not mentioned anything since.

I actually hope his 9930 bricks or nukes again so we can be done with the BB's. BES is a stinking pile of crap, the handhelds are years behind, and there is nothing but a nice keyboard, BBM, and a level of security most companies can do without keeping people like my CEO from bailing.

Please replacement 9930, BRICK!
    12-28-11 12:43 PM
    Mine recently bricked. Verizon would let me change phones, but sent me a new one. I was going to wait to transfer back, from my old 9650 to the replacement, until they fixed the issue. In a search, I found that Rim acknowledged the problem Nov 21, and stated they would have a fix out soon. It's been over a month. I think Rim's days are numbered. Sad for me because, i prefer the bb's over Droid or Iphone.
    12-28-11 01:00 PM
    I have two thoughts to add. One - suppose it's a hardware fault in the same vein as the aforementioned Storm2 screens. Many owners claimed that a software upgrade and/or reload fixed the problem without necessitating a new device at all. Even so, those were silently replaced for anyone who reported a problem with no official statement from RIM that there was a problem. The brick/nuke issue they have publicly admitted to. Two - if it truly is a software problem (and I believe it is), would that not entail a new OS version that would most likely be checked thoroughly (chuckle) by the carriers before release? We've seen carriers drag heels in releasing new software before. Might be what's delaying a fix; then again, it might not. Theories are fun.
    12-28-11 01:16 PM
    I got my 9930 the day it came out and it lasted about a month then part of the screen crapped out. Got my next one under warranty and it worked for a bit and it just bricked. It worked totally fine thursday, put it on the charger, woke up friday and nothing. Still waiting on my replacement from Verizon.
    12-28-11 05:21 PM
    Why has there been no furthur information on the bricking
    issue from the manufacture. The silence from RIM is unacceptable.
    Everyone on the forum is guessing without any help from anyone.
    RIM really sucks and is causing undo anxiety.
    No, the bricking issue is definitely not over yet. I personally believe that OS7 was released prematurely due to intense market pressures on BB to get out some smartphones with faster processors. It's interesting how often we scream for new product and when it comes out before it's really ready, that we choose to scream some more. My 9930 with .374 from Verizon has bricked on me once. Ive had the phone for about six weeks. Having to reinstall everything on a bricked phone is a real pain. However, one thing is for sure. I'm glad I have the 9930 considering the fact that my 9700 was so lacking in memory and speed (for my purposes anyway). This 9930 is a real joy. I hope the bricking of this phone was just a one time event. It happened just as I had finished downloading Photo Editor Deluxe from BB's'"our gift to you" section on app world. Since I'm not sure if the bricking and the anomaly are related, I'll not be downloading that app again unless I hear from others that it's a very stable application. I still give my 9930 four stars. I'm sure that as newer and fresher updates come out that it will become a solid five.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-11 06:05 PM
    My upgrade is burning a hole...hurry RIM.
    12-28-11 06:07 PM
    I think RIN is silent because right now they have no reason to come out for anything the problem seems to have been fixed with the OS update has previously stated so unless there are more problems I don't see a reason for RIM to annouce anything else.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-11 06:15 PM
    Coz RIM is f*cked up and has no idea of what to do
    BINGO!!! On the second part of that statement. They just have no idea what to do to fix the problem in my own personal opinion that's why it hasn't been addressed. Maybe they should consider pulling a Steve Jobs and saying there is no problem, give them some more time to find it then hold a press conference after they figure it out if they EVER do.
    12-28-11 08:20 PM
    I do not want to confuse the issue and I no longer have a 9900 anyway.
    But it all sounds like a battery issue.
    I do not know specific circumstances under which this phenomenon occurs, but Li-Ion battery does not take it well when it's drained down to near empty, or cycled in wide range (i.e., full discharge and full charge). It works best when it is topped up.
    When it is completely depleted, many of them, for cellphone or camera or otherwise, won't even wake up any more.

When I was shopping for my 9790, I asked a FutureShop employee if BB was selling well. She said that 9900 had a lot of returns and I asked what kind of problem. She said it was mostly a battery problem. I did not pursue it more but thought it was a short battery life problem. Prior to that, I also remember that Rogers found some problems in early production batteries and actually launched a warranty replacement program. Now, I have no idea if these early battery problems have anything to do with the bricking issue.
    But if the issue tends to happen;

1. on 9900 purchased when launched (early production models)
    2. when battery was depleted near empty
    3. Frequent full cycling (inevitable for low capacity battery such as ones for 9900)

Then, I would suspect the battery issue, and RIM would be hesitate to commit to replacing huge number of batteries unless and until they are sure that the battery mfrs would agree to replace them.

Perhaps you can replace the battery with new one, borrowing from late model, which might shed some light.

Just a thought...
    12-28-11 08:24 PM
    I'm on my 6th 9900 now... just received #6 dirrectly from RIM and just as faulty as a the last few... all made in mexico and not put together correctly. (menu panel raised and not flush with the LCD screen... cause by the keyboard not being screwed in correctly and that lovely squeaky sound of plastic on plastic)

own 3 9900's and all three of them running the same OS and same screen settings and everyone has a different color display.

im past caring or putting anymore energy into the damn thing so I am just going to void the warranty and put the thing together correct myself.

biggest complant... I got a berry with a lot of power and can do a lot less than previous berries
    12-28-11 09:08 PM
    Sad. So sad.
    12-28-11 09:21 PM
    Silence can be dangerous as you are wittnessing in this
    Thread. When the manufacture goes missing people
    speculate wildly. This is a bad stredegy for Rim and
    whats left of there customer base..
    12-29-11 03:22 AM
    My 9900 just bricked/nuked last night. It's just flashing red no white screen. It's paperweight right?
    Called my operator already and they told me to bring it to the store I bought it from. In the meantime I'm going to try all the methods to restore it.

Shame on RIM for going down faster than NOKIA. Seems they are just determined to close shop. But can't they sell to another company?
    12-29-11 10:53 AM
    AT&T released BlackBerry Handheld Software v7.0.0.2392 (Multilanguage) to fix the "power" issue. It also has a critical IT policy fix in it. This was confirmed by AT&T verbally as they do not publish release notes. Verizon will hopefully be releasing 7.1 shortly which has the fix as well. AT&T went down the emergency maintenance release route to get this out as fast as possible.
    12-29-11 11:41 AM
    ^^^is this confirmed? how do you know this
    12-29-11 12:46 PM
    ^^^is this confirmed? how do you know this
    Google is your friend. As far as 7.1 being released by Big Red, it's a rumor there's a release slated for next month. No confirmation.
    12-29-11 12:55 PM
    I'm not sure what you folks want RIM to do. They've admitted there's a problem, and that they believe it's software related. No doubt they're continuing to investigate the issue. They released OS updates to the carriers. How many, we can only guess. It's up to them to make it public, as Sprint did. That's unfortunately the way RIM set the system up. Behind the scenes RIM must be pushing them to test and post, but who knows. Beyond that, all they could do is a daily press conference/release, ala FEMA, further bringing the limelight to it, making themselves look worse, and creating a riff between them and the carriers.
    magician1 likes this.
    12-29-11 01:54 PM
    My 9850 has bricked itself twice now. Once in October 2011 and then again just a couple weeks ago. Verizon stated to me that it is a "known issue" and that RIM has scheduled a patch to be released in Feb 2012.

Not sure other's circumstances, but mine were the exact same for each bricking. I was out and about and my battery fell below radio-use, so I turned it off. When I got home both times, I plugged it in (first brick with normal charger, second with premium charger) and turned it back on. I even sent/received a few emails and sms. On both occasions, I went to sleep and woke up the next day to a bricked phone.

Hopefully this is taken care of in Feb. While Verizon's warranty is awesome and I get a new phone less than 12 hours later, it is still a major inconvenience and I lose data from my latest backup.
    12-29-11 02:39 PM
    This whole bricking saga is very annoying. Having experienced it first hand I thought I would offer my thoughts.

Firstly, and as has already been stated, there is a huge difference between a nuked BlackBerry and a bricked one. If any of the tips/guides solved your problem then your device wasn't bricked in the first place. It is extremely annoying to hear people who have had a nuked BlackBerry, (or even self-proclaimed experts who haven't even experienced the problem), say that the problem can be fixed by the user. It 100% can not! No amount of "clicking the button at exactly the right moment", cunningly removing and replacing the battery or standing on one leg whilst facing east will unbrick a truly bricked BlackBerry. The only solution is to get a replacement unit.

My 9860 bricked in November. After 10 days of trying every tip known to man I had no choice but to ask for a replacement. I am no stranger to BBs, can solve pretty much any other problem blindfolded, and am not guilty of "user error" as has been patronisingly suggested previously.

A truly bricked BlackBerry will not boot up. It will not allow the battery to charge even via mains. There is no way any PC can recognise the device. It is BRICKED, dead, deceased. It is an ex-BlackBerry.

Any BlackBerry of any age can achieve the status of Bricked, but several conditions must be met for it to happen. With the latest devices those conditions seem to be:
    1: Uses the JM1 Battery.
    2: Has discharged to a point where the device switches off radio, wifi and BT.

When those conditions are met some BB's will enter BrickClub, however some will not and may never do so. It's a gamble, possibly based on the components used in manufacture.

When you have joined Brick-Club you will observe the following:

1: Your battery is drained, but no amount of charging will alter this.
    (You can buy brand new OEM batteries but the device will see them as being totally discharged yet will not charge them).
    2: You will be in an endless reboot sequence.
    3: Your PC will recognise the device for about one second before it reboots. No clicking" at the right time" will solve this. 3rd party apps will not see the device. Loader will always grind to a halt when it reboots the device. (Stuck at Loading JVM).

From discussions about older devices exhibiting the same problem, the only solution found to work was to remove the CMOS battery from the devices circuit board. Not an ideal suggestion but by resetting its CMOS the device would then seem to decide that the battery should be allowed to charge.

When my replacement unit arrived I switched it on with another brand new battery in. Same problem, the phone thought the battery was dead! and went into endless reboot mode. However, on plugging the unit into a PC the phone decided to use USB power and booted perfectly normally and charged the battery! To recap: the previous bricked BB would NOT do this, it would refuse to charge the battery and would boot-loop endlessly.

The problem seems, to me, to be a combination of JM1 battery plus faulty OS, plus faulty charging circuitry.

RIM anounced in November that they were aware of the problem and would be issuing a software fix. Unfortunately a software fix is of no use to anyone who's BB is truly bricked.

For those who say "Must be your own fault. Never happens to me"... Good Luck, I hope you don't wake up to find you're the latest member of Brick-Club!

ETA:
    (Conjecture)
    Whilst several conditions must be met to cause Bricking, I think the JM1 battery is the first culprit. AFAIK it contains a chip that provides the BB with some basic information(*). Such as "Remember me? I am now discharged to such a level that it would be unsafe to charge me. Please do not try to do so".
    This information then gets stuck in the BBs non-volatile brain and is all it hears regardless of what battery is used from then on.
    A software fix is therefore needed. One which will clear the BBs brain of old battery-talk.

ETA2:
    (*) The battery to device chat is a 2-way thing. Putting a brand new battery into your bricked BB perhaps causes the BB to tell the new JM1 "I still have your last mail and on reading it I am not allowed to charge you".

Your JM1 battery has 4 contacts, your BB also has 4 . Two handle the supply of DC Voltage the other 2, I would suggest, are for BB to Battery 'comms', (sounds crazy I know but Li-Ion batteries are a peculiar beast). You can test this if brave enough: supplying an identical DC voltage as the JM1, (hard-wired and permanent rather than battery), to the positive and negative terminals in the BB will make no difference whatsoever. The BB is not merely wanting a DC supply over pins 1 and 4 in order to function it is also wanting 'data" from pins 2 and 3.

Sanyo, or whoever manufactures the JM1, may have produced a duff batch?
    Have a duff JM1 you will brick, have a good JM1 you won't?
    Last edited by CiderGuru; 12-29-11 at 05:20 PM.
    12-29-11 04:33 PM
    Or it could be some buggy code from Qualcomm, but nobody would ever believe that since RIM is always at fault
    12-29-11 05:38 PM
201 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD