Had a bricked 9900 today with the latest available os. Followed Crackberry Kevin's instructions on how to un-brick it and it worked fine. I installed the latest leaked 7.1 os and all is working fine so far.

it actually wasnt to difficult to do.....through apploader.
    Kevin saves millions with that post, in the case they do something crazy with their device.
    01-10-12 09:36 PM
    By the way, the phone was pluged in over night to charge, in the morning it was bricked.

Love the phone, especially now with the wi-fi hot spot that came with 7.1 leak. Sure hope this latest os solves the brick/nuked problem. 2nd phone in our office to brick after charging overnight.....an obvious software problem, not the hardware.
    01-10-12 10:03 PM
    Units Sold: 13,690
    Units DOA: 2
    Units Returned For Repair: 319

Warranty Claim Types:

Broken Screen: 71
    Water Damage: 58
    Electrical Surge: 19
    OS/App Install Errors: 74
    Broken Chassis: 26
    Battery Failure: 11
    Broken Keyboard/Trackpad: 4
    Broken USB Port: 22
    Broken Headphone Port: 17
    Broken Side Button: 6
    Broken USB Charger: 5
    Crushed Device: 6

You ever meet someone who couldn't resist tinkering with stuff they should not tinker with? How about "Honest People" who would be willing to go into a store and say "I dropped my Phone in the toilet so can I pay full price for the replacement"?

The first answer is "YES"!!!
    The second answer is "NO"!!!

So much crap about phones that just stop working. Funny how NOT ONE story, on this ENTIRE FORUM, about a bricked phone, ever started with "I was upgrading my OS" or "I was wiping my phone" or "I unplugged my phone in the middle of an install"

If you personally do not have the ability to disearn crap from the truth than go ahead and convince yourself these phones will scruw-up "Just Because You Bought One". And if that is the case then buy an Android or Apple and find another forum.

The Chairman

I already own an iPhone and a blackberry, but not interested in android. Just wanting to upgrade the 9700 I currently have. Tried the 9810, but didn't like the keyboard. Now what? Take a risk on a phone that has known issues? Please excuse me for being cautious about what I spend my money on.
    01-10-12 11:14 PM
    I already own an iPhone and a blackberry, but not interested in android. Just wanting to upgrade the 9700 I currently have. Tried the 9810, but didn't like the keyboard. Now what? Take a risk on a phone that has known issues? Please excuse me for being cautious about what I spend my money on.
    You should definitely hold off. RIM might release new hardware and tell the rest off us to deal with it. Save yourself time and aggravation and wait until a there is a fix released, acknowledged by the carrier or RIM, not by the rose-tinted glasses brigade on forums.
    01-10-12 11:22 PM
    Man, so disheartening to read these issues with the 9930/9900. I was really contemplating coming back for a 9900, but this thread has definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

I went through 4 9700's in a year and a half and while I loved the phone (still use it from time to time) I don't want to go through multiple returns/exchanges to get a working phone.

Just keep rocking with what works. Kinda wish I didn't read this as I was really getting amped up about BB again. Maybe the BB 10 phones will be better, I don't know.

I am with the other guy about I want a working product, not something that I need to install various OS'S to get a working phone. Should work out of the box and do so for awhile IMO.

I know these are mass produced and you will have issues and it may be a small % of units in the grand scheme of things, but is enough for me to consider something else.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    01-11-12 01:16 AM
    All I see is a small group of people using the word "Bricked" to describe a long list of issues that are mostly caused by users. I also see another group of people choosing to add up the number of times they read the word "Bricked" on a forum and formulating that into "All 99 Hundred Series phones have some kind of major issue" when reality is that people return phones under warranty every day to fix problems they created. Your attitude towards this product is completely askew and does not represent what is actually happening. In fact, your opinion is based on the complaints of people you don't know, problems you know nothing about, and centered on a few threads surrounding the most popular and sought after Blackberry in recent history.

Do you honestly think every time you read the word "Bricked" it means RIM had a failure? It isn't possible that the most popular Blackberry, after being absorbed into the market very fast because it is new, combined with the ability to swap OS's, on a whim, and the technical ineptitude of the average person makes for a situation where people muck up their firmware and say "Its Bricked" and then swap it out for a new one??????

What will you do if you get a defective phone??????

The same thing everyone else with a cell phone, no matter the brand or model!!!

Exchange it!!!

Don't believe everything You Think!!!!!!!

BlackBerry 9900 & Tapatalk
    Last edited by olblueyez; 01-11-12 at 02:05 PM.
    01-11-12 02:02 PM
    Stop being an apologist for RIM. The phones should not brick or nuke or whatever you want to call it.

Adam and Kevin's both bricked. Was theirs user error too? Kevin has two that bricked if I'm not mistaken.

It's a large number of devices doing this. Be happy yours didn't. Yet. I hope it does so you can learn some empathy. In fact I hope yours bricks twice this month and once next. Then we'll see how thrilled you are with RIM.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 01-11-12 at 03:57 PM.
    01-11-12 03:48 PM
    All I see is a small group of people using the word "Bricked" to describe a long list of issues that are mostly caused by users. I also see another group of people choosing to add up the number of times they read the word "Bricked" on a forum and formulating that into "All 99 Hundred Series phones have some kind of major issue" when reality is that people return phones under warranty every day to fix problems they created. Your attitude towards this product is completely askew and does not represent what is actually happening. In fact, your opinion is based on the complaints of people you don't know, problems you know nothing about, and centered on a few threads surrounding the most popular and sought after Blackberry in recent history.

Do you honestly think every time you read the word "Bricked" it means RIM had a failure? It isn't possible that the most popular Blackberry, after being absorbed into the market very fast because it is new, combined with the ability to swap OS's, on a whim, and the technical ineptitude of the average person makes for a situation where people muck up their firmware and say "Its Bricked" and then swap it out for a new one??????

What will you do if you get a defective phone??????

The same thing everyone else with a cell phone, no matter the brand or model!!!

Exchange it!!!

Don't believe everything You Think!!!!!!!

BlackBerry 9900 & Tapatalk
    You really need to get off the blame the user train. It's probably not a large percentage, but some of these are actual bricks.

Stop being an apologist for RIM. The phones should not brick or nuke or whatever you want to call it.

Adam and Kevin's both bricked. Was theirs user error too? Kevin has two that bricked if I'm not mistaken.

It's a large number of devices doing this. Be happy yours didn't. Yet. I hope it does so you can learn some empathy. In fact I hope yours bricks twice this month and once next. Then we'll see how thrilled you are with RIM.
    Young lady, do I have to see you in my office?
    01-11-12 04:14 PM

Don't waste your time!

By the way, the phone was pluged in over night to charge, in the morning it was bricked.... Sure hope this latest os solves the brick/nuked problem. 2nd phone in our office to brick after charging overnight.....an obvious software problem, not the hardware.
    Left mine charging overnight earlier this week, still going strong.
    01-11-12 04:21 PM
    You really need to get off the blame the user train. It's probably not a large percentage, but some of these are actual bricks.

Young lady, do I have to see you in my office?
    Depends. Will you be wearing your suit and tie?
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-11-12 05:48 PM
    Depends. Will you be wearing your suit and tie?

Birthday suit, sans tie. My what big TEETH you have wolfie.

Stick to your guns Chrisy. No other phone had these many reports. They all cannot be nuts.
    01-11-12 07:20 PM
    Don't waste your time!

Left mine charging overnight earlier this week, still going strong.
    Yup, mine is still going very strong!
    01-11-12 08:28 PM
    My 9860 bricked and non of the released/leaked OS can recover it.

I called to the local RIM Service, he advice to bring the phone to do power replacement, which may cost 20-30$.
    01-11-12 09:36 PM
    My 9860 bricked and non of the released/leaked OS can recover it.

I called to the local RIM Service, he advice to bring the phone to do power replacement, which may cost 20-30$.
    Warranty exchange with your carrier would be allot easier and it's free.
    01-11-12 10:06 PM
    Was at a buddies house and he asked about pulling the battery on his vz 9930 and I showed him the three finger salute, he thought it was cool but when the phone went into 517 error after I did it he didn't think it was cool.

Wasn't bricked because it wasn't constantly rebooting but I had to reload the os and restore the phone from scratch. Kind of strays me away from wanting one, but not enough. Lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    01-11-12 10:15 PM
    7.1 seems to have no reports of java errors.
    01-11-12 10:23 PM
    7.1 seems to have no reports of java errors.
    That's good. Now they just have to fix the bricking/nuking issue and we'll have a phone that can actually be relied upon. Not quite sure if RIM is 1/3 or 1/2 of the way there.
    01-11-12 11:49 PM
    Slowly most of the defective 99XX will be replaced, and when every you ask for replacement see that you get it from fresh lot (new Batch).
    01-11-12 11:55 PM
    Birthday suit, sans tie. My what big TEETH you have wolfie.
    Shhhhhhhh

Stick to your guns Chrisy. No other phone had these many reports. They all cannot be nuts.
    I really hate seeing these statements. Do you have any hard statistics to back that up?
    01-12-12 07:30 AM
    Just a few negative people stiring the pot and resonating with others who are prone to negativity.

If any problems the phone had were firmware than plugging your phone into your computer and letting DM update the phone will fix that. Att was the last to introduce the phone, and they have updated the OS how many times?

If there was a hardware issue than I think it is safe to assume purchasing a unit now would be a safe bet since the units began pouring into the market place last summer. No one manufacturing location was ever pin pointed as having brick issues.

If you remove all the "I didn't feel like updating my OS" people and all the "I'm on my 5th unit" people since they are obviously doing everything they can to encounter a problem, then what are you left with?

For the negativity groupies who never even owned one of these phones you end up with a "cow pie" in one hand and "want" in the other hand. Which one weighs more?
    Last edited by olblueyez; 01-12-12 at 08:35 AM.
    01-12-12 08:13 AM
    Just a few negative people stiring the pot and resonating with others who are prone to negativity.

If any problems the phone had were firmware than plugging your phone into your computer and letting DM update the phone will fix that. Att was the last to introduce the phone, and they have updated the OS how many times?

If there was a hardware issue than I think it is safe to assume purchasing a unit now would be a safe bet since the units began pouring into the market place last summer. No one manufacturing location was ever pin pointed as having brick issues.

If you remove all the "I didn't feel like updating my OS" people and all the "I'm on my 5th unit" people since they are obviously doing everything they can to encounter a problem, then what are you left with?

For the negativity groupies who never even owned on of these phones you end up with a "cow pie" in one hand and "want" in the other. Which one weighs more?
    This is one of reason i don't buy devices when they are launched.
    I had some experience with NOKIA on same issue, but then i got new one.
    so wait and watch...
    people will continue to bark good and bad about everything...
    just...
    wait and watch...
    01-12-12 08:18 AM

For the negativity groupies who never even owned on of these phones you end up with a "cow pie" in one hand and "want" in the other. Which one weighs more?
    The want would be more important. The cowpie stinks and people don't like the smell of it either, nor the stain it leaves behind.
    01-12-12 08:19 AM
    I just have a hard time understanding why people refuse to give the obvious inept backyard mechanics their fair share of the credit. Someone who is exchanging units every week when most of the evidence points to a firmware issue and then comes here and says "I'm on my 5 unit" is obviously a problem waiting for a place to happen.

As for the giant press release announcing the fix for the problem, I wouldn't hold my breath. Why would any fix get more press eminating from RIM than any other? It would just be another tool for negativity mongers to amplify nonsense. Isn't that what caused the first statement to be released? Some units numbering in the hundreds becoming a problem with every unit that was ever made?

There is no logic in saying things like "I'm going to wait for RIM to announce the fix for the known issue".

Try an see the entire picture instead of focusing on the cowpie.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 01-12-12 at 08:57 AM.
    01-12-12 08:47 AM
    Well, I am not waiting for RIM to announce an official fix. That's just silly. They'll never do that. But I am waiting for folks on 7.1 to report their findings. Report that they haven't had a random re boot, nuke or brick on that OS.

Then I'll upgrade. Seems reasonable and logical to me.

Much better than just hoping my 9930 is a good one.
    01-12-12 09:18 AM
    Well, I am not waiting for RIM to announce an official fix. That's just silly. They'll never do that. But I am waiting for folks on 7.1 to report their findings. Report that they haven't had a random re boot, nuke or brick on that OS.

Then I'll upgrade. Seems reasonable and logical to me.

Much better than just hoping my 9930 is a good one.
    The issue is who is going to be the guinea pig?

I've already seen a report of a VZW 7.1 bricking. Time will tell, but hopefully this update is the one we've been waiting for, unless of course it wasn't a software issue in the first place and the bad hardware is being filtered out via warranty exchanges.
    01-12-12 10:14 AM
201 ... 56789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD