Or HDMI mirror to TV..stream Netflix to tv..free turn by turn voice navigation..video call via Skype..backup entire phone wirelessly. Just a few things on top of the multitude of apps..
    Seriously, in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with this you still can't control yourself? How important to you is it that we all think your phone is great?
    12-30-11 01:47 PM
    pretty sure it was .540
    my batt was drained last night and it hasnt been on since. Tried re-loading the software. but i keep getting a message that the Application Loader cant something
    Wiping didn't work aswell since BBsak doesnt connect to my phone... going to Rogers in a few to test out a new battery/blackberry. Is that the normal procedure?
    Thanks. So .540 does brick... interesting!

Don't bother testing out a new battery as it won't work, just get them to exchange it.

Good luck
    juliancilib likes this.
    12-30-11 01:48 PM
    Seriously, in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with this you still can't control yourself? How important to you is it that we all think your phone is great?
    Thanks for your as usual enlightening input. But if you failed to notice..I was simply responding to the poster above me who thought the S2 was only good for downloading apps. I was merely pointing out some other things it was capable of. Thanks for your interest though!
    damule6666 likes this.
    12-30-11 01:51 PM
    Thanks. So .540 does brick... interesting!

Don't bother testing out a new battery as it won't work, just get them to exchange it.

Good luck
    exchange phones? It'll be twice now! It has to be some kind of problem with the battery
    12-30-11 01:56 PM
    Thanks for your as usual enlightening input. But if you failed to notice..I was simply responding to the poster above me who thought the S2 was only good for downloading apps. I was merely pointing out some other things it was capable of. Thanks for your interest though!
    You're welcome.
    Betmen likes this.
    12-30-11 01:58 PM
    exchange phones? It'll be twice now! It has to be some kind of problem with the battery
    Everything is pointing towards it being a software issue, which is possibly fixed in recent updates.

As soon as you get your new 9900, update the OS if it hasn't been done already.
    juliancilib likes this.
    12-30-11 02:03 PM
    Further to my post about how Li-Ion batteries "talk" to the device or charger they are connected to, (sounds silly I know, but bear with me):

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-cross-615353/

If your BB doesn't read a genuine code from the battery it will not boot, and will not charge. Hence the cheapo Chinese batteries needing to clone the code from an OEM battery first.

Also, Li-Ion batteries have in-built protection from overcharging unlike any other battery chemistry which relies on the charger.

And another also: A Li-Ion Battery basically "tells" the device how much power it has left, unlike other battery chemistrys where the device is "guessing".

So if, either by buggy OS, defective battery or a Component fault this reading of data becomes corrupted...
    ...A bricked BB possibly.

NB:
    This is affecting mosly BBs using the JM1 Battery atm;
    Current BBs using the JM-1 are: 9930, 9900, 9380, 9790, 9850 and 9860.

It is not confined to models belonging to just this thread.
    Last edited by CiderGuru; 12-30-11 at 06:29 PM.
    12-30-11 03:33 PM
    What about the 9780? What type of battery does it use? Has is had these type of issues?

Thanks.
    12-30-11 04:48 PM
    What about the 9780? What type of battery does it use? Has is had these type of issues?

Thanks.
    It uses the ms1 battery which doesn't need to be decoded, any aftermarket ms1 will work in it.
    12-30-11 04:51 PM
    It uses the ms1 battery which doesn't need to be decoded, any aftermarket ms1 will work in it.
    Thanks. I also meant to ask about the new 9790, with the touch screen. Same issues?

Thanks again.
    12-30-11 04:56 PM
    Thanks. I also meant to ask about the new 9790, with the touch screen. Same issues?

Thanks again.
    I don't have that device so I can't tell if it has those. Maybe surf the forums for that device to see if it has them too.
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    12-30-11 05:03 PM
    The 9790 also uses the JM-1

BlackBerry 9790 Bold Battery Charging Bundle - UK MOBILE STORE

A quick search brought up no bricking issues, but if I'm right the 9790 hasn't been out long enough. Seems to take a month or two before the first reports of bricking start coming in.
    Last edited by CiderGuru; 12-30-11 at 05:24 PM.
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    12-30-11 05:16 PM
    The JM1 Battery

JM1 Battery and Rogers | Mobile Repair Center

Then he asked what battery I had I told him it said JM1 and he said that the battery as been recalled from RIM and that its a known issue. He told me that it malfunctions and basically nukes the internals on the unit and that is what happened to mine???
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-issue-655936/

News Headlines
    12-30-11 06:27 PM
    The 9790 also uses the JM-1

BlackBerry 9790 Bold Battery Charging Bundle - UK MOBILE STORE

A quick search brought up no bricking issues, but if I'm right the 9790 hasn't been out long enough. Seems to take a month or two before the first reports of bricking start coming in.
    I've had my 9790 since early October, and same as with my 9900... no issues.

Those battery scare stories are old news, and were only related to very early Rogers devices as they had the 9900 before anyone else did.
    12-30-11 06:38 PM
    stfu please, cuz rim havn't fixed ... if your 9900 is still working just consider yourself lucky..
    12-31-11 12:21 AM
    @pborane Please don't be so rude. I wouldn't tell anybody to "stfu" either. Everybody has the right to their opinions, thoughts, speech and everything else about their devices and experiences. Only a small batch of blackberries were bricking, otherwise, it's been solved as @Phill_UK said.
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 12-31-11 at 07:34 AM. Reason: language
    12-31-11 12:26 AM
    Or HDMI mirror to TV..stream Netflix to tv..free turn by turn voice navigation..video call via Skype..backup entire phone wirelessly. Just a few things on top of the multitude of apps..
    Yeah I know you can mirror your Galaxy screen via the micro USB port but this is something that BlackBerry can do already with the PlayBook through a dedicated port, turn by turn navigation is available on the new BlackBerry Traffic if I'm not mistaken and Aaah, Skype just had to be thrown in (Doesn't surprise me though)... Netflix is not available where I hail from so it is no skin off my back. The S 2 has Allshare DLNA as well but it is a technology already implemented in an existing BlackBerry.

Don't get me wrong. I like my S 2 but never is a word thrown around to loosely and I still prefer using my 9900 for my day-to-day communications.
    12-31-11 01:28 AM
    So historically speaking RIM will never fix this issue.
    I think this is a fair statement and it blows my mind.
    There is history to prove they may not fix the problem. If it is hardware it could be impossible to fix as all the circuit boards for the 99XX have likely been completed. RIM's best bet is to "try" to write software to "skirt" the hardware problem. RIM is not in the financial condition to tolerate a recall of their flagship phones.

What did RIM do when they had so many keyboard stuttttering problems. They could not even admit they had a problem!
    12-31-11 06:41 AM
    There is history to prove they may not fix the problem. If it is hardware it could be impossible to fix as all the circuit boards for the 99XX have likely been completed. RIM's best bet is to "try" to write software to "skirt" the hardware problem. RIM is not in the financial condition to tolerate a recall of their flagship phones.

What did RIM do when they had so many keyboard stuttttering problems. They could not even admit they had a problem!
    Did you read my post?

Also it only affected Qualcomm chipsets. So 9790 running Marvell is OK.
    12-31-11 08:25 AM

You would think that RIM has some major lattitude with there vendors..If its software issue it should be on RIM, but if its hardware they should make the suppliers responsible. The most obvious scenario, according to your experience, is the consumer will ultimately be the looser !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thats a bowl of wrong
    12-31-11 10:00 AM
    I didnt realise peoples phones were still bricking? Ive had mine for 2 months and no problems..
    12-31-11 10:04 AM
    I don't know that we will ever get the precise story on what happened with the bricking/nuking thing. For people considering a new BlackBerry though, I would assume any faulty batteries or firmware issues have been taken care of and not worry about it.

For current owners, I would recommend the latest firmware, especially 7.1 if its available for your device.
    12-31-11 10:58 AM
    I don't know that we will ever get the precise story on what happened with the bricking/nuking thing. For people considering a new BlackBerry though, I would assume any faulty batteries or firmware issues have been taken care of and not worry about it.

For current owners, I would recommend the latest firmware, especially 7.1 if its available for your device.
    I would not be so sanguine about a "new" berry being fixed if it is either hard or firmware. It might have been in inventory with the vendor for some time. Also I am not yet sure the issue is fully understood and addressed.
    12-31-11 11:03 AM
    I believe it to be faulty batteries, as my 9900 turned off randomly whilst I was out, it still had 80% battery, and with no warning, turned off and wouldn't turn back on, I was in the middle of typing a text, but, when putting the battery in at a certain angle, it would turn on, but said insert sim card and asked for my blackberry ID, but I couldn't use it, because it said insert sim, but when I pushed the battery in all the way, it would turn off as if the battery was removed.
    12-31-11 11:09 AM
    Yea they haven't sent An official fix for the problem. So yes people's phones are still bricking daily.
    12-31-11 11:29 AM
201 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD