Verizon never released OS 7.1. Sprint is the only one to I believe.
    Not according to gees97, unless he loaded an OS from Sprint or works for VZW.

I'm running 7.1 on a verizon 9930. Haven't had any problems. And I've left it on the charger all day. 7.1 fixxes the issues.
    12-27-11 06:08 PM
    Not according to gees97, unless he loaded an OS from Sprint or works for VZW.
    You can run any as long as it is for your model. I'm running sprints on my uscell phone.

RIM owns the smartphone market.

No one can compete with the Pearl my friends.

The first phone with a decent camera, internet, and music player.

Dominance.
    You are too funny
    12-27-11 07:30 PM
    That is not possible, RIM must have some sort of simulation method that can reproduce bricking.
    and seriously you don't need to do great work here.
    just put some apps and charge for nigh...
    i am sure this is a hardware issue and software is unable to fix it.
    may be some work around can be done.
    but RIM is really not good in maintaining their old devices (99xx is old now).
    think of 9780 keyboard issue, RIM did nothing about it.
    So if the software has a glitch in which it suddenly can't detect a battery, and it needs to detect a power source to work, sending it into a reboot loop - that isn't a software issue?

The general problem which i have experience with my 9930 and countless reading hours it seems to be when your battery drops below 10 percent to all radios off and you try to recharge it, it basically bricks your phone. thats why most people say they went to bed put it on charge and woke up with the light blinking.

how hard is it to simulate that
    I do this more than I should. Never bricked. Do you see the problem yet?
    12-27-11 07:41 PM
    RIM has 95% of the smartfone market, leading the way towards 2009 with advanced products for consumers and corp customers.
    RIM owns the smartphone market.

No one can compete with the Pearl my friends.

The first phone with a decent camera, internet, and music player.

Dominance.
    I'm in for a sarcasm button. These are great
    12-27-11 07:44 PM
    Mine bricked two weeks ago (9930 on Verizon latest released OS). I got it replaced on warranty but it came with the same OS. Find it hard to believe it was fixed. Mine worked great for 4 months before ity bricked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    No, the issue is not resolved. Just had 2 9930's with the latest released OS from VZW that I have seen (7.0.0 bundle 1739) brick this past weekend. When did VZW release 7.1? The latest showing up on my phones update tool and on BlackBerry� Software Updates is 7.0.
    You guys may be running the newest from VZW but it is not the newest OS as that OS was released in OCT (see below). So if your phones are still bricking than upgrade the OS and stop saying that it has not been fixed or that there is still an issue. I have two 9900 Att/Vzw and I am running new software on both and i have never had an issue. So if its not fixed than I guess I will be in trouble soon, but I don't think that I have to worry about it cause I will al ways update to new software when available.

Select to download Device Software used with Desktop Manager or VZAccess Manager.
    BlackBerry Device Software v7.0 Release 1739 (updated 10/25/2011)
    12-27-11 07:58 PM
    You guys may be running the newest from VZW but it is not the newest OS as that OS was released in OCT (see below). So if your phones are still bricking than upgrade the OS and stop saying that it has not been fixed or that there is still an issue.

Software v7.0 Release 1739 (updated 10/25/2011)
    I would love to tell you that the 2 VZW 9930's that bricked this past weekend were running this very OS, but then that would mean the problem is not fixed, and you told me to stop saying that.

Perhaps I should upgrade my entire companies BB's to a non carrier supported OS via desktop manager. LOL
    Last edited by ChilledBB; 12-27-11 at 08:10 PM.
    12-27-11 08:08 PM
    So historically speaking RIM will never fix this issue.
    I think this is a fair statement and it blows my mind.
    12-27-11 11:44 PM
    So historically speaking RIM will never fix this issue.
    I think this is a fair statement and it blows my mind.
    They might fix it. They might not. But judging from what I've observed, it's likely they will; perhaps it'll happen on the sly as with the Storm2 screens.
    12-27-11 11:54 PM
    My phone bricked last week on 7.1.49 (or whatever) build (the one with mobile hotspot) but I was able to fix it by multiple battery pulls and my friends computer skills, but its far from "fixed." RIM is disgraceful, I honestly hope they are bleeding money due to the returns/warranty claims on this.
    12-28-11 01:01 AM
    The general problem which i have experience with my 9930 and countless reading hours it seems to be when your battery drops below 10 percent to all radios off and you try to recharge it, it basically bricks your phone. thats why most people say they went to bed put it on charge and woke up with the light blinking.

how hard is it to simulate that
    Not necessarily.

My 9810 nuked itself while I was using Google search, literally loading a page. I was at 45% battery.
    My first 9930 nuked itself twice, both times I was near 75% battery.
    As an experiment I allowed my second (refurbished) 9930 to turn itself off two days after I got it. It's running beautifully.

So in my personal experience that assumption is not correct. I believe that is what Branta is getting at, that the instances of nuking and bricking or not bricking vary wildly. By allowing my 9930 to shut itself off and by charging it overnight I should have woken up to bricked (not just nuked) device. Didn't happen.
    12-28-11 03:39 AM
    Obviously fixxed the issue if I'm able to charge my phone without a brick.
    post hoc fallicy.
    12-28-11 03:41 AM
    A lot of the bricking issues are "user error". Should we discuss the definitions of bricked and nuked? That would be a refreshing discussion.
    12-28-11 04:08 AM
    Brick: Describes a device that cannot function in any capacity. This usage derives from the fact that some electronic devices are vaguely brick-shaped, and so those which do not function are useful only as actual bricks. Bricking a device is usually an unwanted consequence of an attempt to update the device. Many devices have an update procedure which must not be interrupted; if interrupted by a power failure, user intervention, or any other reason the existing firmware may be partially overwritten and unusable. The risk of corruption can be minimized by taking all possible precautions against interruption

Nuke: When device is under condition of no firmware/ OS to bring up device to life.
    Often occurs when firmware/OS is either corrupted or removed for some reasons.
    12-28-11 04:24 AM
    They shouldn't be bricking or nuking.
    Rickroller likes this.
    12-28-11 05:40 AM
    Obviously fixxed the issue if I'm able to charge my phone without a brick.
    There is NO Gaurantee that your phone will not brick tomorrow morning. It has happened to many here so you are not exempt!

That is not possible, RIM must have some sort of simulation method that can reproduce bricking.
    and seriously you don't need to do great work here.
    just put some apps and charge for nigh...
    i am sure this is a hardware issue and software is unable to fix it.
    may be some work around can be done.
    but RIM is really not good in maintaining their old devices (99xx is old now).
    think of 9780 keyboard issue, RIM did nothing about it.
    It is not like RIM has not got back thousands of bricked devices. I do not see why they would not know what it is. If it were software they would have issued a fix by now, so that leaves it to be a hardware problem and with RIM's financial woes, they are not in the mood for a massive recall.
    12-28-11 07:04 AM
    There is NO Gaurantee that your phone will not brick tomorrow morning. It has happened to many here so you are not exempt!

It is not like RIM has not got back thousands of bricked devices. I do not see why they would not know what it is. If it were software they would have issued a fix by now, so that leaves it to be a hardware problem and with RIM's financial woes, they are not in the mood for a massive recall.
    I am exempt. Hasn't happened and it won't. 7.1 fixxed everything. If you have soo many issues quit crying and go to apple
    12-28-11 08:17 AM
    Seems like people toss the word "Bricked" around quite often. It also seems, in many cases it is the same people who have multiple problems but claim the problem is with the hardware or software in spite of the fact an overwhelming majority of the users don't have these problems where they fornicate with the firmware (without knowing how to do so properly), reach a point where the phone becomes inoperable (as far as they are concerned), and then want to exchange the phone for another.

Please do tell us, is it a firmware problem, or a hardware problem?
    Last edited by olblueyez; 12-28-11 at 08:32 AM.
    12-28-11 08:28 AM
    For those who claim to know more than anyone else about these well documented instances of nuked (recoverable) or bricked (dead) devices, already acknowledged by RIM, check out Chrisy's excellent compilation thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...hreads-668265/
    12-28-11 08:31 AM
    For those who claim to know more than anyone else about these well documented instances of nuked (recoverable) or bricked (dead) devices, already acknowledged by RIM, check out Chrisy's excellent compilation thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...hreads-668265/
    You refering to the threads full of the aforementioned people I just described?
    12-28-11 08:34 AM
    If it were software they would have issued a fix by now, so that leaves it to be a hardware problem and with RIM's financial woes, they are not in the mood for a massive recall.
    Missing premise of this enthymeme: All software problems can be quickly fixed.

It ain't necessarily so.

Another thing: If RIM thinks this is a hardware fault, they have nothing to gain by making a public statement that they are working on a software update to fix it. They know that the faulty devices will have to be replaced. Putting out disinformation doesn't change that. Saying that they are working on a software fix that they know will never happen can only increase the damage to their reputation, without saving them a dime in replacement costs.

A reasonable inference is that RIM thinks it's a software fault that they can fix, but they haven't been able to do so yet.
    lwaysluking likes this.
    12-28-11 08:36 AM
    Missing premise of this enthymeme: All software problems can be quickly fixed.

It ain't necessarily so.

Another thing: If RIM thinks this is a hardware fault, they have nothing to gain by making a public statement that they are working on a software update to fix it. They know that the faulty devices will have to be replaced. Putting out disinformation doesn't change that. Saying that they are working on a software fix that they know will never happen can only increase the damage to their reputation, without saving them a dime in replacement costs.

A reasonable inference is that RIM thinks it's a software fault that they can fix, but they haven't been able to do so yet.
    This is my impression from their acknowledgement of the issue. It's disheartening, but I honestly think they've been unable to find a solution.
    Hardware/software....who knows right now. But this thing is certain...the issue is real. The percentage of devices affected is what's unknown right now.
    Having had two devices nuke was frustrating.
    12-28-11 08:55 AM
    We are all using the same phones and software.

A 9930 is a 9930 etc,,...

We all download and use the same operating systems,,...

No operating system has been singled out as causing a bricking or nuking problem,,...

The only difference here is the users.

Be honest, how many times have you read about a user saying somethng similar to the following in regard to bricking and or nuking, "I'm on my 3rd 9930 and I am blah, blah, blah"?

How many times have you seen someone claim the first replacement unit fixed a bricking and or nuking problem?

If we are all using the same operating systems and people are able to recover a phone that boots to an error code than why would anyone exchange their current device for another?

Because some of us know the way around a Blackberry better than others?

Come on, be honest!

Has anyone here at Crackberry ever seen a user take credit for transforming a working $600 phone into a device that (they can no longer get to function)?

Ever?

Last edited by olblueyez; 12-28-11 at 09:13 AM.
    12-28-11 08:57 AM
    If it were software they would have issued a fix by now, so that leaves it to be a hardware problem and with RIM's financial woes, they are not in the mood for a massive recall.
    Hardware is a possibility - the problem seems to hit a random selection of devices. That could suggest out of specification components used in manufacturing. It is highly unlikely to be a design failure because that would impact most or all of the production rather than a few percent which seems to be the emerging pattern.

RIM would love a hardware component/manufacturing defect as the cause, because liability would cacade back to contract manufacturers and then to original component suppliers. A recall would have zero cost implication for RIM
    12-28-11 09:05 AM
    I don't even bother to update my thread anymore. There's too many new threads each day! It's not all user error. That's just silly.
    12-28-11 09:16 AM
    I hope this is not a hardware issue because in my opinion, if this is a hardware issue, it could lead to the downfall of RIM all together.
    12-28-11 09:22 AM
201 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD