I'm not sure if this is done on purpose, but since the Playbook RIM has announced a product with no release date attached. Again, with the 9900/9930 they made their announcement with no release date.

Is this RIM's marketing strategy going forward? Or is RIM desperate to put themselves out there due to increased competition?

Will future products be the same? It's kind of annoying to announce something and not release it 3+ months later. I'm all for patience, but sometimes it gets to long and it wears me out. Waiting for the PB was torture and with the 9900 it's getting there.

Everyone here is going to say "It's not RIM's fault, its the carriers." Well, why couldn't RIM announce it when the carriers are done testing it? Anyways, it's Friday and I just wanted to rant.

Enjoy your memorial day weekend.
    05-27-11 03:16 PM
    This is what i heard from Rogers. they said RIM wont give the release date until they know the apple one. So Actually that made no sense but the dude told me that RIM will release the phone when the Iphone whatever comes out, But thats for Rogers.

Anyways I dont think its smart marketing because people just dont wanna wait for this phone or tablet for months they wanna know the exact release date and they want to pre-order
    05-27-11 03:24 PM
    yes, I too want to know the release date. it will make the wait easier. Knowing how many days I have to wait if my current sh*tty phone packs up again. Instead of wondering whether it will be tomorrow or 5 months. it gets slightly frustrating.
    05-27-11 06:26 PM
    June 13 Issue of [Canadian Business] Magazine, page 32.

[You can't over-promise and under-deliver too many times].

I am pissed. I've pasted above quote everywhere.

Stating RIM's strategy well.

I've converted from IP4, using 9780, and waiting for the 9900.

RIM, don't be timid and cheap. Man up and compete with IP head on. C'mon RIM!
    Last edited by xanadome; 05-28-11 at 06:27 AM.
    05-27-11 07:35 PM
    Yeah RIM, I don't really like the cut of your jib!
    05-27-11 11:59 PM
    Yeah RIM, I don't really like the cut of your jib!
    Someone seems to have listened to the lastest podcast

I hope they have some sort of strategy, I'm not too sure how it will work if they hold off to compete with the iPhone head to head.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-11 12:06 AM
    Someone seems to have listened to the lastest podcast

I hope they have some sort of strategy, I'm not too sure how it will work if they hold off to compete with the iPhone head to head.

Not just once [; hah

But yeah, I don't understand it.. If they are doing all of this delay to compete with the iPhone, then what is the reasoning behind that? MANY people are jumping ship from Droid AND iPhone for this Bold 9900, so why should RIM be giving their potential customers a chance to change their mind when they see the new and improved iPhone?

To be completely honest, I am siding with what Kevin said and am hoping that they are simply delaying primarily to get the 9900 ready under the hood for a potential QNX hybrid OS in the future (early/mid 2012)

I would be extremely interested to be able to know EXACTLY what RIM is thinking right now. I wonder if they are simply doing it to show people that they too can compete with the iPhone, but that seems like it would be a ridiculously stupid marketing decision, so who knows :/

There is only SO MANY threads that can be opened on here pretty much trying to kill time until these new batch of phones are released.. I don't get you RIM, I really don't. Hey maybe they'll prove all of us wrong when they release QNX of some sort to these phones when before we were saying "no way in h*ll [;
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 05-28-11 at 01:20 AM.
    05-28-11 01:17 AM
    To be completely honest, I am siding with what Kevin said and am hoping that they are simply delaying primarily to get the 9900 ready under the hood for a potential QNX hybrid OS in the future (early/mid 2012)
    The way they're going with this year's phones I highly doubt QNX phone will be coming out in early/mid 2012, more like late 2012 early 2013.
    05-28-11 11:33 AM
    RIM is behind the times. This is as old of news as the 7290
    05-28-11 12:37 PM
    The way they're going with this year's phones I highly doubt QNX phone will be coming out in early/mid 2012, more like late 2012 early 2013.
    I agree with you, probably not until LATE 2012 for them to come out with a QNX phone.. But I strongly believe that they will release a HYBRID QNX in early/mid 2012. (completely siding with what Kevin explained in the most recent podcast)

My point being, who gives a sh*t as long as it will be seen at least somewhat on the upcoming phones. (I am not saying that in an angry way, just the only way I could say what I was thinking) but either way, I'd be sick to my stomach if this year I upgrade for 2 years to get the 9900 and next year they release a NEW phone that is QNX because I would be FORCED to buy that at full price or try and find someones update and use it.

I completely honestly don't care when QNX comes out, and I feel like a true BlackBerry fan should feel like that. I feel that QNX will come out WHEN it is ready. We don't need a premature release like the playbook just so we can have a few little extra cool looking things and a beastly half-*ss OS. I am completely ready to wait for QNX when these phones come out, but ONLY if they are at least planning on some type of hybrid OS on these up and coming phones. Because like what Kevin said.. If they were really planning on releasing NEW QNX phones next year then we would already be hearing rumors of these phones, but the next batch of phones hasn't even been released yet.

I don't think RIM is going to sh*t all of us over, but for those of you who are so impatient about QNX on phones, go play with a PlayBook, have some fun, then you will realize that you ARE able to wait because they simple need to fix a bunch of the bugs. Rather have a great PROVEN OS7 (proven because its just upgraded 6 that works just fine) or throw on a randy QNX OS that would cause tons of problems this early.. I'm impatient, but not THAT impatient. I can understand that it's just not ready yet and accept it. Others who want a QNX phone NOW or are skipping on these phones simply for the "new alleged QNX phones" in a year or more are just nuts.. I don't think RIM would shoot themselves in the foot by releasing a new batch of phones in a year with slightly upgraded specs so it can run QNX. I think these up and coming phones will be able to run QNX or at least a hybrid and THAT is why they are taking so long with them.

Anyways, those are my ideas. Kinda rant style, but not at the same time. Any input?
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 05-28-11 at 01:09 PM.
    05-28-11 01:04 PM
    I'm not an apple fan though I do like their method of releasing a new device each year around the same time. Of course this year may be an exception.

Anyhow, it would be great to see the bold touch in july and the monaco a few months after, then stick with an annual refresh on each model, and make it the same series for every carrier and only have two or three primary devices to upgrade/replace each year.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk
    05-28-11 02:15 PM
    as it has been said before,its not up to rim to decide because carriers are going through field testing and after they finish they will push the product onto the market.i like many would wish that rim had the decision of the release date on their hands but its not so.but if carriers take such a while with blackberries, then rim can expect profit loss and angry customers.
    05-28-11 10:00 PM
    as it has been said before,its not up to rim to decide because carriers are going through field testing and after they finish they will push the product onto the market.i like many would wish that rim had the decision of the release date on their hands but its not so.but if carriers take such a while with blackberries, then rim can expect profit loss and angry customers.
    Then they should wait until the carriers are ready to go before they announce a new device.

The time between product announcement and release should never be more than a month or so.

05-28-11 10:13 PM
    I dont know what RIM's marketing strategy is but im also getting impatient... seems like they're taking forever! Im tired of my old blackberry, and all of my friends showing off their ip4's! i hate apple, i hate full touchscreens, blackberry ftw! So is this still true? Bold 9900 coming out August 17 2011 for t-mobile? T-Mobile’s 2011 Roadmap Leaks With Blackberry, Tablets And Android Galore
    05-29-11 04:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD