I should begin with saying that i consider myself to be one of the most enthusiastic customers for any RIM products. I have convinced many many people to convert from their battery draining, software limiting, fake push advertising phones. I have done nothing but to hype RIM and their products to all users, participated in many battles defending the handicap of RIM. Today it just killed me, and i lost!

After hearing nothing but good things about the new bold, and the new OS, i went and bought my dad the phone (who btw lives in asia). It was factory unlocked and i purchased it from J&R. i inserted one of my sim cards and setup his phone with his email, bbm contacts, music, and his very own first blackberry login id. I shipped him his phone, and he received it back home, he removed the battery, and inserted his sim card which cannot have data until he goes into the phone, and registers his routing table. upon turning on the phone, he is forced to enter his blackberry login id which i had created, and his password which i told him. this password is not stored locally on the phone, it is stored in the RIM servers. you cannot access the phone, connect to a wifi, until you have bypassed this screen, so you cannot set up the wireless internet access, until you have bypassed this screen, and you cannot bypass this screen unless you have internet access.

REALLY RIM??? how did you MUCK THIS UP?

the one thing i hated about Apple products was the fact that you have to connect to itunes before doing anything. one of the many things i liked about RIM was the fact that it just works.

If i am missing anything and anyone knows of a solution please share it; as i am stumped, frustrated and angry all at the same time.

ps: i have tried wiping the phone many times, but to get data to activate you have to do a battery pull, on a battery pull after the wipe you get the blackberry login id

UGH!
    Last edited by naveed126; 11-17-11 at 07:16 PM. Reason: title describes the issue.
    11-17-11 04:34 PM
    nope, just a solution, its even more challenging because i am trying to do it remotely.
    11-17-11 04:53 PM
    So you set up the phone with one sim card only to have your dad remove it & try to set it up with another?
    11-17-11 04:57 PM
    Quick thought for maybe a solution. Try removing the BBID COD's untill after the data is setup?I know it seems like a pain but may be a way around it right now? after it is set up,your dad could download the newest os, open DM and click applications and then load the missing BBID cod's from there?or he could just leave them off the BB.
    11-17-11 04:57 PM
    would you like a cookie too cool off first?
    Would you like to leave and come back in when you've got something to say that doesn't make you sound like a berk?

OP - Maybe stating the obvious, but have you contacted RIM directly about this, or posted it on their help forums? Good luck mate, sounds like a nightmare. Hope your dad is using is phone soon.
    naveed126 likes this.
    11-17-11 05:05 PM
    nope, just a solution, its even more challenging because i am trying to do it remotely.
    You just may be doing something that is just not possible.

You should try getting help from the carrier that provided the SIM.
    11-17-11 05:05 PM
    I should begin with saying that i consider myself to be one of the most enthusiastic customers for any RIM products. I have convinced many many people to convert from their battery draining, software limiting, fake push advertising phones. I have done nothing but to hype RIM and their products to all users, participated in many battles defending the handicap of RIM. Today it just killed me, and i lost!

After hearing nothing but good things about the new bold, and the new OS, i went and bought my dad the phone (who btw lives in asia). It was factory unlocked and i purchased it from J&R. i inserted one of my sim cards and setup his phone with his email, bbm contacts, music, and his very own first blackberry login id. I shipped him his phone, and he received it back home, he removed the battery, and inserted his sim card which cannot have data until he goes into the phone, and registers his routing table. upon turning on the phone, he is forced to enter his blackberry login id which i had created, and his password which i told him. this password is not stored locally on the phone, it is stored in the RIM servers. you cannot access the phone, connect to a wifi, until you have bypassed this screen, so you cannot set up the wireless internet access, until you have bypassed this screen, and you cannot bypass this screen unless you have internet access.

REALLY RIM??? how did you MUCK THIS UP?

the one thing i hated about Apple products was the fact that you have to connect to itunes before doing anything. one of the many things i liked about RIM was the fact that it just works.

If i am missing anything and anyone knows of a solution please share it; as i am stumped, frustrated and angry all at the same time.

ps: i have tried wiping the phone many times, but to get data to activate you have to do a battery pull, on a battery pull after the wipe you get the blackberry login id

UGH!
    I know it's a pain but this sounds like a security feature to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-11 05:14 PM
    one sim card:
    did that, when you put a new sim card, the login page shows up
    bbid cod's
    great starting point, but it is still my dad, walking him through that would not be too easy, i thought of remote desktop, and the using soti, to remote into the phone and do it that way, but cannot do that unless the phone goes past the login page
    rim support
    crackberry > rim
    carrier
    asian (especially the country he is using in..... has no support)
    security
    passwords should still be local, this seems like a death trap.

after another wipe, the phone is now on the main screen, if i do a battery pull, it will go back to the login page, i am going to try to remote in and see waht i can do before he does a battery pull.....
    11-17-11 05:23 PM
    Would've been easier just to let your dad activate the phone from his end then you could just log in on the carrier's bis website to set up his email then just send the service books to the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-11 05:26 PM
    lol, tried that.... can't do that, until he registers his routing table, on that sim, which he can't do until he bypasses the login page
    11-17-11 05:31 PM
    Not sure but can you maybe connect to wifi to register the bbid?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    naveed126 likes this.
    11-17-11 05:34 PM
    yup, thats seems like the only solution that may work and be easy. so the deal is that you have to wipe the phone first to get to the home screen of the phone to set it up, after that when you do a battery pull, you get that login screen and you can't do anything until you get past it.

so when you do the wipe, i set it up on wifi, hoping that when i do the battery pull it will connect to wifi and then authenticate. and because you can't tell if you are connected to wifi on that login page (because the login screen takes up the full screen size) it is a hit or miss.

it may have been an error on our part ( i am hoping) that i did not save the profile when i did that earlier, and it did not connect to the wifi when i did the battery pull.

so right now i am going through that process, and ensuring i save the wifi profile and praying that when i do the battery pull it connects automatically to wifi and authenticates.

the wiping and the setup every time is a pain, but it is what it is... i have also not tried to pull the sim card out and just boot the phone without any sim card? maybe the log in is only needed when it detects that you are connected to a carrier.

also, since this is a new phone i am not too worried about wiping it over and over again, had this been my phone which i rely on with my life, and if i had to wipe it without being able to back up, this post would be in caps.
    11-17-11 05:49 PM
    Not sure but can you maybe connect to wifi to register the bbid?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    WiFi would need to be turned on and set up, which would come after BBID confirmation. Catch-22.

I read this thread twice, I feel like I missed something obvious. However, if it's possible to access the phone by removing BBID cod's you'd need to remove them from the Java folder remotely on your dad's PC after installing the software then reload the OS (and hope it works), talk him through the process, or have him put it in the mail for you to do on yours. That might be a long shot though, I'm agreeing with Belfast that it's a security feature and not removeable.
    11-17-11 05:53 PM
    ...this password is not stored locally on the phone, it is stored in the RIM servers.
    Are you sure BBID passwords are stored on RIM's servers? I believe they might be stored locally on the phone.

I have a fully set up 9790 but only one SIM, that I use daily in my 9900. Every time I boot up the 9790 without the SIM, I get the same BBID login screen, I login and then the home screen appears... this is without any network/data connection active, not even wifi.
    11-17-11 06:05 PM
    WiFi would need to be turned on and set up, which would come after BBID confirmation. Catch-22.

I read this thread twice, I feel like I missed something obvious. However, if it's possible to access the phone by removing BBID cod's you'd need to remove them from the Java folder remotely on your dad's PC after installing the software then reload the OS (and hope it works), talk him through the process, or have him put it in the mail for you to do on yours. That might be a long shot though, I'm agreeing with Belfast that it's a security feature and not removeable.
    yup, security feature - personally i don't think this security should rely on the cloud - there should be a backdoor, for people who travel and change their sim's knowing that when they are traveling they may not have internet access on that new sim, and may need just core functions of the phone. like their contacts, or previously archived emails, etc.

cannot rely on carriers in other countries to be as proactive as the west when it comes to cloud services.
    11-17-11 06:05 PM
    REALLY???

i wish that was the case in mine! it seems like this one is def stored on the cloud!
    11-17-11 06:08 PM
    Are you sure BBID passwords are stored on RIM's servers? I believe they might be stored locally on the phone.

I have a fully set up 9790 but only one SIM, that I use daily in my 9900. Every time I boot up the 9790 without the SIM, I get the same BBID login screen, I login and then the home screen appears... this is without any network/data connection active, not even wifi.
    Might be both. The day I got my 9930 I had to enter my BBID before I could start using the device, therefore suggesting cloud-accessible because it would not have been stored locally until I entered that info. I don't use a SIM at all, slot is empty. It's entirely possible that the BBID was stored by AppWorld onto my media card, which I removed from my old 9550 and put into my 9930 prior to putting in the battery for the first time.
    11-17-11 06:41 PM
    REALLY???

i wish that was the case in mine! it seems like this one is def stored on the cloud!
    Going off my prior post, does this one have a media card?
    11-17-11 06:43 PM
    DEAR LORD.... on the phone with a RIM tech support agent, after being on hold and him consulting with his handheld tech, he says there should be a "skip" option..... if this is true i think i am going to cry in embarrassment! i have asked him to take a screenshot of that screen so i can see where the skip option would be.

i know i confirmed with my dad to see if he saw skip and he said now (even when he pressed the menu button to see if it was a menu option)

this is going to hurt.
    11-17-11 06:48 PM
    there is no media card inserted in his phone.... hmm
    11-17-11 06:51 PM
    Going off my prior post, does this one have a media card?
    Mine does... and I think I've just found the file where that info is stored.
    11-17-11 06:55 PM
    confirmed there is no "skip" option.

incident support says: you need data to set up the phone, either wifi or data on the sim, you cannot set this phone up without data.

case escalated to hand held tech for clarification as that does not make sense.
    11-17-11 07:00 PM
    there are two things here:

1. if the phone was originally setup with a bbid, the phone expects the sim card to have data, so you must authenticate over the cloud.
    2. if you setup the phone from the beginning without a bbid, then that screen should not show up. (i find that hard to believe)

overall: you have to have data to be able to use this phone for the primary setup and reboot.
    11-17-11 07:13 PM
    confirmed there is no "skip" option.

incident support says: you need data to set up the phone, either wifi or data on the sim, you cannot set this phone up without data.

case escalated to hand held tech for clarification as that does not make sense.
    Just updated the software on my 9810 and on the first boot there was the BBID login screen. I had a sim in and had data, but there was the option when you scrolled to the bottom, to skip the BBID login. It wasn't a button but blue text like a URL link. You dad may not have been scrolling down. They should probably fix this so the skip is an actual button.

I have no idea what happens when the skip login option is chosen. You still may have not been able to set up the phone.
    11-18-11 12:04 PM
    I just remembered that I had a sim card from another carrier from another country. I will try booting with that in my 9810 which has been set up with a BBID and see what happens.

I am prompted to sign in and the other choice is to sign out. Sign out brings you to the wipe phone option.

I am not going to do a wipe, but I assume a wipe will bring me back to the original BBID login I had just after my new OS install, which had a skip option.
    11-18-11 12:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD