Too be 100% honest think RIM were in a rush too release this phone, due too 4S being released, thus resulting a half sandwhich, if RIM sorted the battery out and the camera, (personally not too bothered about the camera) but I have too carry a spare battery with me everyday, yesterday wasn't too bad, I took it of charge about 12 and it lasted till about 2 but that was very light usage, its amazing how a mobile phone giant such as RIM can release this phone un finished
    01-29-12 05:59 AM
    I'm not the biggest talker/emailer but I do not have problems getting my day done. Ever.....
    01-29-12 06:12 AM
    Now that I've had the phone for two months...it's not like the battery is always bad. This battery life (see attached) I can live with. What I haven't done over the past 36 hours is use a maps program, or go on the internet. But there has been significant talk time, some emails and text messaging. Doing anything on the internet and using the maps program I think are power sappers.
    Maybe the guys who get such great battery life live their lives like I do on the weekends...I don't know...but I never get this kind of battery life during the week.
    01-29-12 07:01 AM
    2% an hour seems awesome. I don't do any maps or internet, just text message, BBM, email and whatsapp and I'm going about 5 - 10% an hour.
    01-29-12 09:15 AM
    2% an hour seems awesome. I don't do any maps or internet, just text message, BBM, email and whatsapp and I'm going about 5 - 10% an hour.
    I just pretty much watch it drain away.
    01-29-12 09:18 AM
    Maybe whatsapp or those social media apps are doing something creepy. Remember, on the net nothing is free. If you are not the vendor or the customer, you are the product.
    01-29-12 09:46 AM
    ...both of you are using a 9930 which is CDMA and only a difference on the radio chipset side...
    Mine's a 9900. I feel your pain, but can't understand why a businessman would tolerate the situation. If RIM and/or your carrier will not make you whole, shelve the thing. The 97xx is every bit as capable (for business use) and by all accounts has extraordinary battery life.
    01-29-12 10:00 AM
    Maybe whatsapp or those social media apps are doing something creepy. Remember, on the net nothing is free. If you are not the vendor or the customer, you are the product.
    I doubt those apps are to blame. We've all used the exact apps on older phones, with significantly better battery life. (And since I'm testing stuff all the time, I still have a pile of active older BBs. They all still get much better battery life than the 9900.)
    01-29-12 11:31 AM
    stop with the ranting.go back to 9700.if you think 9790 will do the trick you are dead wrong.a main reason why 9700 has great battery life is because it has a smaller screen.
    hmmm how do you explain an ip4s having a much larger screen and having way better battery life than the 9930
    01-29-12 12:40 PM
    You have never owned or used an Android. BlackBerry compared is way ahead of that OS battery life. Geezzzz
    That's pure bunk.....I have had a Storm,Tour, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 and Torch 9860 and now have a Samsung Galaxy S 2 and the battery life is comparable to any blackberry that I have had. It's easier to make battery life last I suppose with a 2.4" screen and no real reason to use the phone for more than text, BBM and Emails.
    01-29-12 02:45 PM
    in my opinion RIM made too many excuses with the new lineup.

"we didn't include an auto-focus lens in order to keep the phones slim"
    common at least come up with a better excuse!
    The motorola razr is some 7mm thin and it has an auto-focus lens!!!!

they also put in a smaller battery in order to keep the phone slim. Common this is just ridiculous. I would rather have a thicker phone than have a phone that dies on me in the middle of the day.

Its not acceptable .. with that being said i still kind of love the new bold.

its a love/hate thing
    01-29-12 04:16 PM
    Everybody knows how batteries are the most poor aspect of any mobile technology platform. Batteries are SO far behind the devices they power that it has become cliche to blame particular oem's for poor battery life, when really - the tech the batteries are supposed to run is way ahead of the latest in battery tech. Can't escape this until a better battery is invented.
    01-29-12 05:42 PM
    Everybody wants quad core lte devices with exceptional battery life? Sorry, without a new technology in power or batteries, our demands for device specifications will remain way too lofty for the poor little batteries we use to run these things. Seriously, it's that simple.
    01-29-12 05:44 PM
    Personal frustrations aside, there is literally no point in complaining about batteries when we already expect battery life to suck. You have to simply accept it.

"I sure hate nearly drowning all the time because i want to swim underwater, but I ain't gots no gills." - some slack jawed yokel who know's a thing er two bout a thing er two
    01-29-12 05:48 PM
    You're not going to be able to purchase a smart device in today's world and expect it to last a long time. I know exactly why my battery dies - because I use my 9810 and playbook 247 pretty much. I use bluetooth and wifi all the time.

In order to prove my battery is working within expectations, I simply run the "blackberry device analyzer" to see in plain details exactly what's draining my battery. It is the technology that is draining the battery's fast. It is perfectly understandable because I realize how the tech is way ahead and obviously too advanced for today's battery technology.

What oem's need to do, is create tesla style charging solutions that simply charge the battery using any and all means of frequencies that travel around us 247. From sources like wifi hotspot, the sun, and whatever else the devices can harvest.

It is not far fetched at all. The problem comes in where oem's are forced to spend all their research and development dollars on consumer fascinating things like flexible lcd's and other such fluff, when batteries are sitting there saying, "hello, we're important too!"

Anyways, even if batteries remain on the back burner - at least r&d can come up with cool new ways of keeping batteries charged without the users knowledge, wireless, without a need to be plugged into something, ever.

The closest thing we have to this is qi.
    01-29-12 06:02 PM
    Rca already has a similar solution that recharges batteries by harvesting energy produced by wifi signals. Then, you simply use the little gadget to charge the battery in your smart device via usb.
    Last edited by buckwylder; 01-29-12 at 06:08 PM.
    01-29-12 06:06 PM
    Haha my tour lasts a week
    01-29-12 08:19 PM
    I was very frustrated with battery life until I switch to. 503 and now my battery life is pretty good.
    01-29-12 08:52 PM
    For the first two weeks after getting my 9900, I spent a lot of time--way too much time--trying to find out why my battery life was so poor, compared to my 9780. After identifying a single app that was killing the battery, it got much better.

Nevertheless, in order to get decent battery life now, I have to be vigilant about apps in a way that I didn't have to on my 9780. That's a net loss in functionality, and a predictable result of increasing specs while decreasing the available power. The 9780 had battery life to spare. I had to make a special effort to kill the battery in a day. But it had a smaller screen, slower speed, and a 1500 mAh battery.
    01-30-12 07:55 AM
    For the first two weeks after getting my 9900, I spent a lot of time--way too much time--trying to find out why my battery life was so poor, compared to my 9780. After identifying a single app that was killing the battery, it got much better.

Nevertheless, in order to get decent battery life now, I have to be vigilant about apps in a way that I didn't have to on my 9780. That's a net loss in functionality, and a predictable result of increasing specs while decreasing the available power. The 9780 had battery life to spare. I had to make a special effort to kill the battery in a day. But it had a smaller screen, slower speed, and a 1500 mAh battery.
    Kind of makes my point. Yes, we know the screen/processor is an improvement however the 9780/9700 was a big improvement over the 8900 yet didn't suffer as battery issues comparative to the 9900 update. It seems everyone is having to search for ways to make this "normal" compared to a previous phone. Why do I need to do this? As I mentioned, I don't run apps except for 2. I can kill them and not an entirely different outcome. There were many battery options on the market during development and guaranteed this could have been taken into consideration. Yes, you would have to add a millimeter or 2 on the thickness. Also, we know from other competing phones this shortcoming can be addressed much better from the battery controller design and firmware.

Heck, if we didn't want to run any, any, apps we could go back to our 6210's or for those that like color our 7210's. Let's be real in how we address innovation.

Why do you assume this should be "typical" where us seasoned techies have to go to this degree of phone management? Hey we are small portion of RIMs user base. We are the 1% pardon the reference. Can you imagine most of the "normal" people that don't check the forums and have no idea how to update their OS or change cods. I can guarantee you many of the folks in my office have no idea how to do this or have better things to do with their time. Could you hazard a guess of what their first impressions of a Blackberry might be after having spent a huge chunk of change on a swanky new 9900?

Yes, RIM needs to address this issue, likely not going to see much in the area of the 9900 but more so hopefully better attention is given to future hardware development. Again, RIM was built on great hardware and software and did so going against the grain previously. The 9900 is a perfect phone but could have stayed in the hanger another month or two before being released.

On another note - someone was talking about inductive charging. Check out Fulton Innovation, they have been developing inductive ac and inductive charging for years. It's just starting to mature. Hang your TV on the wall, plug in your wireless HDMI and away you go! Check out Fulton's Tesla charging pics. Also, Qualcomm Halo is a system like one of Fulton's.. Drive your car into your garage, over a circle, and charging begins. Pretty cool stuff.
    Last edited by zipped; 01-30-12 at 10:29 AM.
    01-30-12 10:24 AM
    I can only imagine the fights over this at RIM. The tech guys fighting with the sales guys...one camp saying the battery life would suck...and the sales guys saying that if we're not as thin as the iphone, the 9900 won't sell...compromises were definitely made. I'm sure of that...it's obvious a lot of thought went into this phone. But they are balancing features that sell against features that work against building the thing to a price point as well.
    01-30-12 10:40 AM
    I can only imagine the fights over this at RIM. The tech guys fighting with the sales guys...one camp saying the battery life would suck...and the sales guys saying that if we're not as thin as the iphone, the 9900 won't sell...compromises were definitely made. I'm sure of that...it's obvious a lot of thought went into this phone. But they are balancing features that sell against features that work against building the thing to a price point as well.
    The mistake, I think, was in disregarding the expectations that people bring to owning a BB. One of them is solid battery life under most conditions. BB has been on the losing end of most spec comparisons with other devices, but this was one point that was in BB's favor. Where it used to be that just about anybody could get through a 16-hour day with almost any usage pattern, even in dodgy reception areas, now there's a significant percentage of people who can't, so battery life is something of a gamble for a lot of people.

I'm doing okay, since my reception, outside my office, is generally very good, and I'm not in my office continuously all day. I prefer my polling apps on manual refresh, so I didn't have to change how I use them. But other people are learning that they have to make more drastic changes in how they do things, in order to conserve battery power. This isn't a fun experience.

Even with the best battery controlling firmware in the world, 1230 mAh is pretty marginal for a device with the specs of the 9900. So even though the 9900 is working out okay for me, I agree that the sales guys shouldn't have won this fight. It nullifies one of the attractions that BBs used to have over most Android devices.
    01-30-12 12:17 PM
    I am dying with this phone. I have to charge within 3-4 hours after taking it off the charger. All I do is BBM a bit and talk on the phone every hour or so, but the conversations are 5-10 minutes long.

I started a topic about battery life here

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-phone-689803/
    01-30-12 12:31 PM
    I am dying with this phone. I have to charge within 3-4 hours after taking it off the charger. All I do is BBM a bit and talk on the phone every hour or so, but the conversations are 5-10 minutes long.

I started a topic about battery life here

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-phone-689803/
    OK, someone explain how this is a design issue given my phone would last two or three days if all I did was talk and message a bit like that?
    02-01-12 10:09 AM
    It's great that you have no problems with the battery. But take a quick scan through the 9700 forum or any of the curve forums, and note how many are concerned with battery life. Then come back to this forum. We've got more about the battery on the first page then they've got in multiple pages. I do know how to use a BlackBerry and close apps, I've been using one since my Curve 8300. There is something going on here, and I think it's related to the physical size of the battery.
    I also have no real issues with battery life. I reveive several emails and texts, stream some music from BBM music and am usually at work for 10-12 hrs a day.

Everyone cried for more performance, a faster processor, better graphics, a touch display, etc.. and expect this phone to get the same battery life as their old BB 5 phones. Does anyone think an Iphone has much better battery life, because it doesn't! More performance means more battery drain......period. Deal with it or go back to your BB 5 phones and see what you prefer.
    02-01-12 10:34 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD