Rim would not be in so much trouble today if they had...

1. Updated the Bold 9000 a long time ago. This was the best phone RIM ever produced with a huge fan base in the corporate and personal markets. Yet, it has taken years to relaunch it � and only after thousands of people requested them to do so, in online forums like this and consumer petitions.

2. Kept their phones a decent size. By the time the 9700 series arrived the keyboards and screens were so small that they were unusable for many people. The last �full sized� Blackberry was the Bold 9000. Whoever pushed RIM�s design studio to make their phones so small should be fired.

3. Reduced the number of Blackberry models down to two � yes two. A corporate model (ie Bold 9000/9900 form factor) and a personal model with more emphasis on multi media. This means RIM could concentrate their efforts on making these two models as great as possible instead of fragmenting their efforts. If Apple can dominate the market with a single model iPhone (with different capacities) then so can Blackberry.
    [email protected] likes this.
    06-20-11 12:16 AM
    I'd argue that the Torch and two Storms were full sized Blackberries as well. I don't know about having just two models, though I think they need to jump on that 4.3 inch touchscreen bandwagon if they're going to emphasize multimedia.
    DeeDudnath likes this.
    06-20-11 01:30 AM
    I have always felt a full fledged manufacturer needs four handset styles to meet the needs and wants of all users.

1) portrait QWERTY / Bold 9000
    2) portrait QWERTY slider / Torch
    3) landscape QWERTY slider / not supported or manufactured at this time
    4) slab (all touch device) / Holy Crap the God-awful Storm

With all four of these handset styles, there really is no reason to leave unless you don't like the OS. This way you can maximize the OS for all shapes, keep the charging ports in the EXACT same spot so all charging bases work with each model/style...no need to buy new stuff and also help the aftermarket community manufacture more products for your product.

This is where Apple was freaking genius. One form factor, no need to make different versions. Simple always sells.

Just my two cents.
    06-20-11 12:06 PM
    i d say you need a pocketable device as well, such as the pearl series plus a flip phone. i dont think a landscape phone is useful once you have the torch.
    06-20-11 12:44 PM
    i d say you need a pocketable device as well, such as the pearl series plus a flip phone. i dont think a landscape phone is useful once you have the torch.
    I did not mention that all phones must have a touchscreen (with the slab being the only one without the option of disabling it).

How many companies still manufacture a flip? Unfortunately, there are none in the smartphone segment....and this is due to a lack of demand, not lack of choice. As for a small device, sure, that's ok, but the Veer isn't a 'big' seller....LOL!

The Bold 9900 isn't that large of a device. Limit it to four.

As for the landscape model, there are mountains of users out there who prefer to type on that device shape. Don't diminish their choice of keyboard.
    Last edited by AliensWanted; 06-20-11 at 12:51 PM.
    06-20-11 12:49 PM
    The problem is that people have many different needs/wants. One Bold 9000 style device isn't going to work for many people. It's just too big. I much prefer the 9780 size device.
    big_time2 likes this.
    06-20-11 01:18 PM
    If Greek's can bankrupt an entire Greek nation how diffiuclt it will be for one Greek to bankrupt RIM??? RIM needs a new fresh CEO that can actually give a proper interview and that actually makes sense while understanding what people want.
    phonegeek#AC likes this.
    06-20-11 02:26 PM
    I have always felt a full fledged manufacturer needs four handset styles to meet the needs and wants of all users.

1) portrait QWERTY / Bold 9000
    2) portrait QWERTY slider / Torch
    3) landscape QWERTY slider / not supported or manufactured at this time
    4) slab (all touch device) / Holy Crap the God-awful Storm

With all four of these handset styles, there really is no reason to leave unless you don't like the OS. This way you can maximize the OS for all shapes, keep the charging ports in the EXACT same spot so all charging bases work with each model/style...no need to buy new stuff and also help the aftermarket community manufacture more products for your product.

This is where Apple was freaking genius. One form factor, no need to make different versions. Simple always sells.

Just my two cents.
    I'll disagree slightly and say they really need to get to two devices and go with 1 and 4. You have a touchscreen with KB (9900 or maybe something size wise between the 9900 and the 9700) and for those that like strictly touchscreen you go with a slab device. I am not a huge fan of the torch and I believe the market for landscape QWERTY is so small that it doesn't make sense to develop around it.

Work with those two form factors and shorten your design cycles, cram as much memory as you can into each device, build it with the fastest processor on the market and build a huge design team around the OS and make it as close to bulletproof as possible.

PG
    06-20-11 02:35 PM
    I'll disagree slightly and say they really need to get to two devices and go with 1 and 4. You have a touchscreen with KB (9900 or maybe something size wise between the 9900 and the 9700) and for those that like strictly touchscreen you go with a slab device. I am not a huge fan of the torch and I believe the market for landscape QWERTY is so small that it doesn't make sense to develop around it.

Work with those two form factors and shorten your design cycles, cram as much memory as you can into each device, build it with the fastest processor on the market and build a huge design team around the OS and make it as close to bulletproof as possible.

PG
    I agree, there is no need for a portrait qwerty slider provided the other three form factors that AliensWanted listed are available. The fourth variation should be a smaller cheaper portrait qwerty such as the 9300 imo.
    06-21-11 02:54 AM
    It is ALL about the PlayBook which is going to haunt them till their death!
    06-21-11 05:12 AM
    I know a lot of people are clamoring for the larger 9900. Hubby included. But to those of us with small hands the thing is much too large. I'll buy it for myself as well as for him, but I prefer a narrower phone.
    Short/small people with hands that don't reach a full octave on a piano need love too! There *is* a place for the smaller 9700.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-11 05:40 AM
    Don't forget that RIM has also a problem with the lack of available apps, especially here in Europe. If they don't succeed in making it possible for Android apps to run on Blackberry, I assume this means the end of RIM. Sorry to say so.

App-wise I should already be on iOS or Android (I have an iPad and it's amazing what you can do with apps there). It's only the form factor and reliability that is keeping me with Blackberry.
    06-21-11 05:42 AM

1. Updated the Bold 9000 a long time ago. This was the best phone RIM ever produced with a huge fan base in the corporate and personal markets. Yet, it has taken years to relaunch it � and only after thousands of people requested them to do so, in online forums like this and consumer petitions.

2. Kept their phones a decent size. By the time the 9700 series arrived the keyboards and screens were so small that they were unusable for many people. The last �full sized� Blackberry was the Bold 9000. Whoever pushed RIM�s design studio to make their phones so small should be fired.

3. Reduced the number of Blackberry models down to two � yes two. A corporate model (ie Bold 9000/9900 form factor) and a personal model with more emphasis on multi media. This means RIM could concentrate their efforts on making these two models as great as possible instead of fragmenting their efforts. If Apple can dominate the market with a single model iPhone (with different capacities) then so can Blackberry.
    I totally agree!

06-21-11 06:47 AM
    Don't forget that RIM has also a problem with the lack of available apps, especially here in Europe. If they don't succeed in making it possible for Android apps to run on Blackberry, I assume this means the end of RIM. Sorry to say so.

App-wise I should already be on iOS or Android (I have an iPad and it's amazing what you can do with apps there). It's only the form factor and reliability that is keeping me with Blackberry.
    Surprised it took a while to mention apps. Should emphasize, affordable apps. There's so few apps and even less at <$2 to free.

The small non-touch screen does not create as big a need for apps. Kind of gives you a tunnel vision without even realizing it.

RIM would not be in this mess if only it found a way to shift much of it's base off the physical keyboard. Google blindtype or swype. I use swype and can compose faster than a physical keyboard.

The keyboard, it's strongest feature and achilles heal.

I think all the makers would also benefit by having staff dedicated to living on competitive platforms. The old mantra of keeping your enemies closer. Success has a nasty way of blinding you to the strengths of your competitors. By the time you realize it, it's too late.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    06-21-11 07:23 AM
    The small non-touch screen does not create as big a need for apps. Kind of gives you a tunnel vision without even realizing it.
    I'm not sure it's the size of the screen. I would like simple, useful every-day life apps, like planners for public transport. On iOS, I have 3 alternatives, all werk superbly! On my Blackberry I have one crappy one which is very slow and leaves me to using a website (which is also still slower than the nice iOS apps).

Or apps for news sites, there are some for Blackberry, but they all are very slow.

There is a huge user base here in the Netherlands for Blackberrys (especially young people, due to BBM). Still you see little and useless programs. So I wonder what is causing this. Bad hardware? Is it technically easier for developers to develop for iOS?

I am seriously considering the iPhone (if only it had better battery, and I'm still worried about not having physical keyboard).
    06-21-11 09:10 AM
    I'm not sure it's the size of the screen. I would like simple, useful every-day life apps, like planners for public transport. On iOS, I have 3 alternatives, all werk superbly! On my Blackberry I have one crappy one which is very slow and leaves me to using a website (which is also still slower than the nice iOS apps).

Or apps for news sites, there are some for Blackberry, but they all are very slow.

There is a huge user base here in the Netherlands for Blackberrys (especially young people, due to BBM). Still you see little and useless programs. So I wonder what is causing this. Bad hardware? Is it technically easier for developers to develop for iOS?

I am seriously considering the iPhone (if only it had better battery, and I'm still worried about not having physical keyboard).

Just in case anyone is missing the point, why would anyone make apps for BB OS??? Take a look at RIM's Financials, stock, and how unreliable they are at bringing outdated products to the market. BB OS is a joke, and who are they kidding? RIM's CEO's are clearly insulting the intelligence of the mainstream customer. I only own a playbook and I do get insulted everytime one of RIM's CEO's gives an interview or update.

Numbers don't lie, and they are in favor of Android and iOS who support and cater to everyone, from: HomoSapiens, Neanderthal's, infants, teenagers, average Joe, seniors and business people. Now that's how you generate revenue while building a healthy company and providing us the "consumer" with great products and new technology.

I just love technology and gadgets and could care less who makes them, but please don't treat us like sheep, some of us do have a clue.
    Last edited by evolutionPlaybook; 06-21-11 at 09:40 AM.
    06-21-11 09:32 AM
    RIM has provided a solid, secure little business tool that works well right out of the box! Maybe they didn't anticipate that one day they'd suddenly have to "entertain" us. I want my BB to complete calls and burn through email, to do the specific job it was intended to do without a lotta distractions I don't have time for in the 1st place. Games, music, NetFlix..? I've gotta laptop for that, not just an app.
    06-21-11 10:26 AM

This is way too simplistic of an analysis and doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of why RIM is in trouble.

Sacrificing handset development in favor of the Playbook, slow R&D and lack of innovation, buggy OS's, inability to make devices that appeal to non-business users, poor quality QC, awful executive management, etc., are much more too blame for RIM's problems than a too-small 9700 series.
    06-21-11 10:31 AM
    Admitted that Apple had the right idea for building touchscreen devices and copied them. Instead RIM gave us SurePress because they knew "everyone" wanted a screen that clicked. And 2: Releasing the PlayBook first instead of focusing on getting the new Bold Touch 99xx series devices into a marketplace that they're falling behind in. RIM is smartphone company first and should have focused on their core market as such. The PlayBook line could have benefited from the extra time in development as well for apps and also having both the 7" and 10" lines ready for launch.

06-21-11 11:12 AM
    Wait, wait, what about the Curve?

Can't just get rid of the Curve series. As much as you all want original Bold, new Bold, touch Bold, vertical slider, horizontal slider, flip, all touch, Curve is still the best selling blackberry, remember? I know it's cheaper than the rest but it still has a good keyboard. No need to get rid of the Curve series.
    eBud likes this.
    06-21-11 11:19 AM
    I agree about the curve series. It's done me well so far as my first Blackberry, and I'm really enjoying it. My 8530 is a good beginner's phone to learn all about Blackberry.
    Last edited by Chaviv; 06-21-11 at 12:41 PM.
    06-21-11 11:42 AM
    The point to the curve is an affordable consumer product via cheaper parts. The problem now is that BBs cutting edge are underspeced compared to mid-tier Droids.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    06-23-11 01:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD