As a rookie...........I had the choice of any phone I wanted. I'm 60, retired and LOVE my Torch, I had a Bold before and loved that too. The reason I got my Torch was the touch screen and slide out keyboard. The old eyes can see the big screen. all my 3 kids have Iphones, they have literally hundreds of apps, they tell me they use very few of them. The only thing I wish was that a few more apps would be available for my Torch, I dont want hundreds of them, just a few, a Sirius app wpuld be great. As for the hardware? My BB's are bullet proof. I dont want a flimsy one drop and its done Iphone. Thats my newbie babble, love my BB, just wish there were a few more apps.
    leveragedhedging likes this.
    11-30-11 03:38 PM
    If RIM uses Android they could build exclusive security features for their phones, with Android you can edit the code and build your exclusive OS with the features you want.

Lets see what RIM is going to do in the future, but as it is right now they are loosing millions of users, also by releasing phones like the bold 9900 that bricks itself in the night and by not releasing fast a fix for this they are showing that they are in trouble and maybe the best solution is to move their phones to another OS.
    To take Android and tweak it to their hardware and then add security features puts them farther behind than where they are with QNX now. It would serve no purpose other than to potentially get access to some unavailable apps...

I really don't believe that the majority of smartphone buyers carefully compared each of the main OSes available and decided that Android was the best for them and that's why Android is tops. It's more to do with marketing, media hype and what the reps are pushing...
    11-30-11 03:52 PM
    Android seems to be best suited to two things:Giant phonelike devices or tiny tablet phones. Oh, wait, is that an oxymoron?

Currently, I know four former BlackBerry owners that own Androids. They like a couple of things their Droids have that BlackBerry doesn't, but really would rather give them up to regain what they lost with the BB. They changed early this year because it was upgrade time and getting a 9650 or a Curve wasn't an attractive option.

The world really doesn't 'need' a glut of more Google phones, the market is adjusting over a period of time, just fine. Yeah, RIM has had some mis-steps that have left them at the edge of a big, scary fall, but adrenaline makes a good motivator if you have a survival instinct.

And about ecosystems; Remember, even a prison can be given a trendy name. Painting the walls pretty colors and adding cable TV doesn't really make it a better place to be.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The world doesn't need Android at all. Google knows that. And while a 100% of the people you know would rather return to BB, I doubt that it is true for most users.

I could be wrong.

And, if that prison, with the pretty walls, cable TV and the stereotypical free weights was perceived to be better than one's current situation, one will gravitate to it. The prison reference may fit RIM better. In today's economy, functionality is king.

My true desire? Let RIM do RIM. No cross-licensing...
    11-30-11 04:02 PM
    I think there are too many rim die hard fans in here. Which is reasonable considering this forum lol.

The Op is not entirely wrong. though. if you look at RIM flag ship, the 9900 and compare it to the other eco-systems (e.g. android) flag ships, RIM's does not look so hot (specs and feature wise) and the bricking issue isnt really helping.

nowadays the fight is between eco-systems (Android vs iOS vs WindowsPhone[?]) its not like what it used to be before few years ( e.g. Nokia vs Sony Ericsson vs RIM .. etc).

does RIM have what it takes to compete with today's eco-systems with its BB OS? i pretty much doubt it, if it did, it wouldnt have created BBX from scratch in the first place now would it? the latest BB OS is just buying them time till they get BBX up and running.

RIM probably had to chose between creating its own strong eco-system or go with an already existing one (e.g. android or WP) long time ago ... and appearntly they chose to create their own, which is the BBX, so RIM + Android isnt gonna happen.

I for one would have loved to see android + RIM, imagine all those android apps with BB services, and some strong hardware specs with amazing keyboard, ... pure win! (i hope BBX will achieve that with its freash features and bridge to android apps).

P.S. I own and activally use HTC Desire (Android 2.3 - personal) + LG Optimus (Windows Phone 7.5 - work) + Nokia E75 (Symbian - backup) + Asus Transformer (Android 3.2.1), AND i am planning to get the 9790 as soon as it hits our market, so spare me the fanboisim flames
    Last edited by Irkan; 11-30-11 at 04:18 PM. Reason: typo
    11-30-11 04:06 PM
    To take Android and tweak it to their hardware and then add security features puts them farther behind than where they are with QNX now. It would serve no purpose other than to potentially get access to some unavailable apps...

I really don't believe that the majority of smartphone buyers carefully compared each of the main OSes available and decided that Android was the best for them and that's why Android is tops. It's more to do with marketing, media hype and what the reps are pushing...
    I actually agree, but I believe they make the decision based on functionality and price.. Google does not run Android ads, and I bet most people who have it don't know the difference between Android and the Man on the Moon.

Here is how a housewife I knew picked. She wanted a new phone. She wanted internet. She wanted free navigation. She wanted to spend $40.00 or less.

Bam.

The phone she picked, IMHO, is not even close to a BB device in terms of quality, but the extra, real-life functionality was what did it for her. Last I saw her, she was marveling at the "extras" like Netflix and interactive story books.

This is why I say it is the ecosystem mostly. Her phone gets her plenty for cheap. She doesn't know what the heck Android is, and had never seen an ad.
    11-30-11 04:10 PM
    In any case, Google made a calculated gamble: give OS away for free, and reap rewards elsewhere, so, in that, it is head-to-head battle that Google is winning.
    This is my other big concern with Android aside from the security problems. Why do you think Google has done this? Not out of goodwill. Rather so that they can generate advertising revenues. From your phone. By watching what you browse, where you go, and potentially who you call and who calls you.

No thanks.
    11-30-11 05:34 PM
    Am i reading this correct? Android os on blackberry devices as a suggestion.......

That would be the ultimate way for Rim to get rid of 60 out of 70 million (or so) customers.

please rim, forget this freaky post an continue with BBX
    11-30-11 05:58 PM
    I get what the op is saying. It may never happen but I understand what the op wants.

Lots of you guys haven't even truly tried other phones but read into broad exaggerations of what each os has as its strengths. Having used bbos 5, 6 and now 7 it pains me to see what could have been for rim if they moved a bit faster.

The op wants the relative none issues of ios coupled with the wide app selection of ios together with the intuitiveness of ios mixed together with bbm, possibly a physical keypad, and strong security of bbos and maybe rim's email system.

Apps are not a bad thing people. I use my 9810 alot more than my 9700 and I find myself asking why aren't certain apps upgraded to use the power of bbos 7 yet. Why isn't Netflix on this phone yet cuz the screen is gorgeous, between bbos 5 to 7 the changes haven't made it more intuitive - familiar yes cuz I have been using it for years but it isn't anywhere as well thought out as ios and android are. These are just some of the issues.

Finally it's too late for android. However there is BBX and that allows rim to start FRESH for many issues. Hopefully they get certain things right with BBX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11-30-11 06:07 PM
    Maybe RIM is closer than you think in using Android for their phones.

Look at what RIM is doing in the playbook, they are going to release an emulator so that all playbook users can use Android apps. It is a good idea but reading reviews people say that android apps work slowly in the playbook.

If I was RIM I would hire HTC to build my new phone with a physical keyboard and other phone without keyboard.

I would install exclusively in my htc blackberry phones BBM, push mail, and extra security features that other Android phones don't have.

I would do whatever is possible to build the most secure Android phone in the world ( for example removing Carrier IQ ), this and also BBM, and push mail would make people want to buy again a Blackberry phone instead of an iphone or other android phone.

By doing this you will have the best of both worlds in a single phone.

If RIM decides to go alone with their OS they will fail, people is choosing an Android phone or an Iphone.

Here are some good points about RIM:

Its well known that shares of Research In Motion (RIMM) have been battered, down over 70% in 2011. This collapse in the stock has occurred despite profitability, 70 million users worldwide and no debt. Value investors tout the stocks extremely low valuation of less than 4 times earnings, and managements plan to upgrade the product offering with new phones running the companys yet-to-be-released QNX operating system. Ive read myriad reports as to whether RIMM is a value stock or a value trap, but for this article Ill leave out the financial metrics and focus on the qualitative.

The real question is whether RIMM will pull off a turnaround and regain lost market share, or will it suffer the same fate as former handset giants like Palm, Nokia (NOK), Kyocera, Ericsson and Motorola (MMI)?

Consumers are now looking for greater entertainment and productivity tools available on the iOS and Android platforms. Because they were prepared to fight the last war, RIMM was unable to create a competitive operating system for the current market. They simply lacked the programming horsepower of Apple or Google (not to mention Microsoft with their new mobile OS).

ourth and long and time is running out. RIMM had no choice but to acquire QNX Software Systems and its eponymous operating system. QNX may help in the short term, but investors should be concerned about whether RIMM will be prepared to compete with Apple and Google beyond 2012. If the recent corporate history is an indicator, I fear RIMM will be unprepared again for the next paradigm shift, whatever that may be.

Info from: Research In Motion: Unequipped To Fight This War? - Seeking Alpha
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    11-30-11 06:50 PM
    Actually I am not an Android fan, I am an Apple fan, I have buy all the iphone versions since they release them, right now I have an iphone 4S and the bold 9900. After using ios for a long time and after using blackberry os 7 there is no way that RIM could be in the mobile business without moving to android.

Believe me I can't see how RIM could survive without doing something like using android, their new OS has more bugs than any android version, right now I am on my third bold 9900 because of the bricking issue, and I am avoiding having another bricked phone by not charging it on the night, or removing the power after it is full charged.

The bricking issue is software releated, I have never seen in the last 5 years a phone that there is no way to fix it, this is a big bug and no other phone has this type of bug.

Another bug from blackberry os 7 is that after using it for some days everything gets too slow and you need to hard boot your blackberry.

Why people would choose a blackberry using android instead of a samsung phone because blackberry is the only phone that could have BBM and push mail. This two features are the only ones that make people buy a blackberry.

ios and android are light years ahead of rim os. Look at palm they disappeared, look at simbian from nokia it is also dead, if rim wants to keep selling phones in the future they need a great OS like Android with thousands and not hundred apps.
    I think you will find that both android and ios have bugs, the major one on android is the battery drain caused by the os, I know I had the GS2, also screen burn in (hardware) ios has battery drain and previous to that clock bugs, random shut downs, all have there problems. I personally think android has the most bugs and only because ios is so locked down, the most stable in my opinion is windows phone 7.5, never crashed once when I had one.
    11-30-11 07:05 PM
    RIM is right now in a difficult time with lower sales of their mobile phones mainly because apple and android.

I think that right now is time that RIM changes a lot of things to sell more phones, one thing they can do is to drop their OS and use android in their phones.

They can keep the exclusivity of blackbberry messenger and the push mail, also they will have that great keyboard phones as a selling point.

If they do this amazing and smart move they will be again one of the top mobile companies in the world.

People that wants a new phone would love to buy a blackberry because you have thousands of apps from android, the exclusivity of bbm with your pin number and the great push mail.

If you see what nokia has done with their os to drop it and use windows was a smart move, RIM needs to do this type of things if they want to stay on the market.

What do you think, I have a bold 9900 with OS 7 and I don't think that their OS has something amazing after using and having and iphone 4S.

Their best bet is to move to Android because it is impossible to use ios.
    Firsat of all then it would not be a BB would it? The same as changing an Android to IOS and etc. with the rest of the Smartphone platforms.

What in the world would even or where did you come up with the thread you started? It is one of the most absurd things I have seen on CB in a very long time, For real, think about what you are saying, good or bad a company like RIM, Apple and all the Androids don't mess with their OS they have commited to, it is just not done.
    11-30-11 07:21 PM
    hmmm nah im good
    11-30-11 07:32 PM
    Actually I am not an Android fan, I am an Apple fan, I have buy all the iphone versions since they release them, right now I have an iphone 4S and the bold 9900. After using ios for a long time and after using blackberry os 7 there is no way that RIM could be in the mobile business without moving to android.

Believe me I can't see how RIM could survive without doing something like using android, their new OS has more bugs than any android version, right now I am on my third bold 9900 because of the bricking issue, and I am avoiding having another bricked phone by not charging it on the night, or removing the power after it is full charged.

The bricking issue is software releated, I have never seen in the last 5 years a phone that there is no way to fix it, this is a big bug and no other phone has this type of bug.

Another bug from blackberry os 7 is that after using it for some days everything gets too slow and you need to hard boot your blackberry.

Why people would choose a blackberry using android instead of a samsung phone because blackberry is the only phone that could have BBM and push mail. This two features are the only ones that make people buy a blackberry.

ios and android are light years ahead of rim os. Look at palm they disappeared, look at simbian from nokia it is also dead, if rim wants to keep selling phones in the future they need a great OS like Android with thousands and not hundred apps.
    They are switching to a new OS next year. Same OS that is on the Playbook will be on the phones. It has fantastic web, media, and multitasking capabilities. Version 2.0 will add in the BIS/BES functionality that people expect in a Blackberry. Many Android Apps will be able to be repackaged and ran sandboxed on this new OS. It is and will be more powerful than iOS. Android will be just another app, not the OS on the device.
    11-30-11 07:51 PM
    Surely I can't be the only one who can't stand the way Androids function? Whereas I do see the...simplicity and ease..in iOS, I just don't see the same in Android. If the Android operating system was so great, don't you think they'd have a multi-media device that would pose a real threat against an iPod touch???

I know Android has huge marketshare, but when it's thrown onto so many devices from so many manufacturers, how could it not? OS7 is great, because it embodies what the BlackBerry has done best. The QNX on my PlayBook is something I could get used to on a BlackBerry, and while I don't really like big change, I welcome the change if it means that my future BlackBerry will be even more powerful.

I spend a lot of time on my iPod touch as well as my PlayBook and also spend a lot of time with my coworker's Evo--there's nothing special about Android to me. The PlayBook has THE BEST multitasking, email is simple (bridged to my 9810 or 9900), navigating around is incredibly easy..in short, it leaves me with no want for Android, only for BBX to hurry up and get into a smaller package
    omi10468 and clowrym like this.
    11-30-11 08:11 PM
    I agree with SK122387 I am not a fan of how Androids function at all. It really just feels like an unpolished sloppier form of iOS. The customization is a nice touch but does it really matter where on your screen you put your weather widget? No thanks Android Im good.
    11-30-11 08:18 PM
    This is my other big concern with Android aside from the security problems. Why do you think Google has done this? Not out of goodwill. Rather so that they can generate advertising revenues. From your phone. By watching what you browse, where you go, and potentially who you call and who calls you.

No thanks.
    Agreed.

Do you use a search engine? Someone is making money.

Playbook has the BEST multitasking? For you, you mean?

Just ragging on you. BB users speak in absolutes... kinda like RIM did when sneering at the iPhone.

And iOS is nothing like Android. Or are you (Omi) saying all touchscreens look alike?
    11-30-11 08:27 PM
    LOL! Look at this guy! So funny
    11-30-11 09:59 PM
    They are switching to a new OS next year. Same OS that is on the Playbook will be on the phones. It has fantastic web, media, and multitasking capabilities. Version 2.0 will add in the BIS/BES functionality that people expect in a Blackberry. Many Android Apps will be able to be repackaged and ran sandboxed on this new OS. It is and will be more powerful than iOS. Android will be just another app, not the OS on the device.
    Hopefully RIMM knock the first bbx device out the park. I played with the playbook which I loved. The only thing missing for me is strong third party support.
    11-30-11 10:15 PM
    Yeah that wouldn't ever work. Half the reason why people buy BlackBerries is for security, a keyboard, and BBM.

Horizontal keyboards on Android phones are always awful. Androids use up a lot of screen space and many things wouldn't function on a BB sized screen.

Security on an Android is also not even close to what RIM provides. Businesses would buy them because of the excellent security of RIM.

And of course if they made a BBM for Android it would be ported to every other Android device, which kills the exclusivity.

All in all, it wouldn't work. BBOS may be outdated, but with BBX in the near(?) future, there's no reason for them to go to Android.
    11-30-11 10:18 PM
    and i find ios old feeling. the same image since the original iphone, with some big appearance updates, but in my opinion, ios feels old, while bb os seems new with every generation
    11-30-11 10:56 PM
    RIM doesn't need to change to google's OS, as QNX is the way of the future for them. I will be getting either an OS 8 device, or QNX, once the time comes after 3 or 6 years. The tab+ on wind will be cleared up within 36 months, that is all I need to be concerned about. So once qnx is on blackberries, I'll be having fun trying it out.
    11-30-11 11:12 PM
    no they don't
    12-01-11 12:37 AM
    Surely I can't be the only one who can't stand the way Androids function? Whereas I do see the...simplicity and ease..in iOS, I just don't see the same in Android. If the Android operating system was so great, don't you think they'd have a multi-media device that would pose a real threat against an iPod touch???

I know Android has huge marketshare, but when it's thrown onto so many devices from so many manufacturers, how could it not? OS7 is great, because it embodies what the BlackBerry has done best. The QNX on my PlayBook is something I could get used to on a BlackBerry, and while I don't really like big change, I welcome the change if it means that my future BlackBerry will be even more powerful.

I spend a lot of time on my iPod touch as well as my PlayBook and also spend a lot of time with my coworker's Evo--there's nothing special about Android to me. The PlayBook has THE BEST multitasking, email is simple (bridged to my 9810 or 9900), navigating around is incredibly easy..in short, it leaves me with no want for Android, only for BBX to hurry up and get into a smaller package

I am sick and tired of people saying how iOS is simple and easy to use, compared to android it require he** alot of work !

[rant]
    One of my family members bought an iPhone 4, despite the fact of me saying go for SGS2, immediately after purchasing she came to me and asked me "how do i set a custom ring tone?" .. Good lord the amount of work you have to do in order to set one custom ringtone! where the he** is the simplicity in that? downloading + converting (only one format works as a ringtone) + putting in iTunes + syncing it to your phone, i mean seriously? you find that intuitive and simple?

she then asked me "how could i download an app?" so i thought, this should be easy enough, opening app store, than registering an email and thats it. haha boy i was wrong, so i have set for her an account, set it the location where we live, and they require you to register a credit card !!! you cannot create an account and download an app unless you have a credit card?? even if you just wanted to download free apps!! absurd!!. than i have found away to set an account in US where they require no credit card there. (again, where is the simplicity in that? for the rest of the world? not everyone have a phone have a credit card in the world, so if you dont have a credit card outside the US you are not good enough to download apps? even the free ones? SILLY!)

Oh, and we wanted to install Whatsapp, you know, a free texting app in android, Symbian and windows phone? its not a free in App store! .. Whatsapp is NOT FREE ON APPSTORE!!!! sure its 0.99, but not everyone have credit card in the world

and god forbid if someone wants to transfer phone numbers from one phone to iPhone, simple as saving the phone numbers from your old phones to the SIM card and inserting the SIM card to the iPhone and then get all the contacts? Nope.

for iPhone, you have to buy a "micro" sim which 99% of the other mobile phones do not use, so you cannot copy contacts to your regular sim and then import from sim like the rest of the phones, no no, you have to find a program that gets all your contacts from your old phone, and some how manage to sync it with "iTunes" and then you will be able to import it to your iCrap... talking about simplicity!!

sure the one can "jailbreak" and do some things easier, but then again where is the simplicity in that? you have to jailbreak your phone in order for it to behave? .. ridiculousness!
    [/rant]

sorry had to vent, woke up on the bad side of the bed.

ohh and whats the use of a multi-media device if your phone can do that just perfectly? I have HTC desire and it does all the multi-media i need (music + videos + pictures). a separate multi-media device nowadays is pretty useless while your "smart" phone can do everything the multi-media device does.
    Last edited by Irkan; 12-01-11 at 01:46 AM.
    12-01-11 12:58 AM
    RIM to Android is a joke in the worst taste possible.
    Android right now is the opposite of what RIM stands for,
    See this: -
    Android’s Malware Monopoly Continues: 472% Increase In Android Malware Since July | WMPoweruser
    12-01-11 08:34 AM
    While this is a good idea. As you can tell free thought is NOT allowed in forums...HA...I bet IF Android DID buy RIM folks would change there tune... All they ever do is talk about BBX in hopes that it will save RIM...I would love to see a keyboard like the 99xx with the REAL speed of Ice Cream Sandwich (it looks yummy)...oh and as to "quickness"...my weather/clock dock on my MAIN home screen (1 of 7) can launch up to 4 apps... and it was free...while I DO RESPECT the opinion of folks discussing their favorite smartphone platforms...let us NOT pretend for one second BB is faster or better then Android in all areas... while it is true that BlackBerry exceeds in some places (keyboard security push email)...being on the FULL CrackBerry site by default (no need to switch to desktop or use other browsers) because of the FAR superior web browser plus APPS in their APP store... PLUS customization of my SMART smartphone (extract email address and find blogs connected to same) makes Android the winner...and I'm only on 2.3.4...tasty tasty Gingerbread

these ARE the Droids you're looking for
    Last edited by mcaples; 12-01-11 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling
    12-01-11 09:18 AM
102 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD